Ronaldo (37) Slaps Phone Out of Child’s (14) Hand | Charged after 5 months of deliberation

pratyush_utd

Can't tell DeGea and Onana apart.
Kid was trying to get photo of his leg post match. Isnt that intruding his privacy? Dont think he will be charged.

Dont like how he reacted but people should ask before they start filming someone

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
What does the child having autism have to do with anything?
It raises the stakes and shows how much of a bastard Ronaldo is because this wasn't just any regular child, this was an AuTiSTiC child.

It also takes someone's lifelong disability and turns it into a mere prop to be used by some rando on the internet but we'll leave that point out.

RonaldoVII

Well, its possible that a autistic child would knew less boundaries and thus be more likely to film Ronaldo without being fully aware as a regular individual that it could be deemed disrespectful, that is where I was going. I would possible give an autistic child a tiny bit more slack.
Did Ronaldo know the child was autistic? It's completely irrelevant.

It makes it sound like what Ronaldo did was worse.
Exactly.

Lightbringer

It raises the stakes and shows how much of a bastard Ronaldo is because this wasn't just any regular child, this was an AuTiSTiC child.

It also takes someone's lifelong disability and turns it into a mere prop to be used by some rando on the internet but we'll leave that point out.

Definitely disagree completely with the 2nd part, its rather the opposite, accounting for disability is showing the kid respect, not the other way around.

RonaldoVII

I mean the easy solution is to just not slap any children.
Now now, let's not go overboard here!

There were loads at full time with their arms out wanting high 5s whilst at the same time shouting abuse. Not condoning anything what Ronaldo did but do think it's been blown up.

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
Definitely disagree completely with the 2nd part, its rather the opposite, accounting for disability is showing the kid respect, not the other way around.
I respect your opinion and we're all going to have different views on it, but I feel like in situations like this it comes across as trying to weaponise someone's disability without knowing enough about the kid. Especially with something so diverse as autism.

duffer

Sensible and not a complete jerk like most oppo's
Scout
Not condoning anything what Ronaldo did but do think it's been blown up.
Of course you're not. Why would anyone think that "Ronladovii" would perhaps do that!

I don't think this is a huge deal but it's not nothing. I reckon he'll a 3 match ban. Not saying he deserves one but I think he'll get one.

Cascarino

Magnum Poopus
Supports
Swansea
Kid was trying to get photo of his leg post match. Isnt that intruding his privacy? Dont think he will be charged.

Dont like how he reacted but people should ask before they start filming someone
No

Now now, let's not go overboard here!

There were loads at full time with their arms out wanting high 5s whilst at the same time shouting abuse. Not condoning anything what Ronaldo did but do think it's been blown up.
So to save time instead of giving out high 5s or slaps he combined them? Crafty

I respect your opinion and we're all going to have different views on it, but I feel like in situations like this it comes across as trying to weaponise someone's disability without knowing enough about the kid. Especially with something so diverse as autism.
In relation to Ronaldo the autism thing isn't a factor, it's not like he would have known and I don't think that specific aspect can be held aganst him. For the kid himself it does make a difference though, it was his first ever football game and they can be stressful enough without being neurodivergent, so to get your phone slapped out of your hand by one of the players is pretty fecking shit. Hopefully it doesn't spoil going to games for him.

duffer

Sensible and not a complete jerk like most oppo's
Scout
Police have launched an investigation into an "alleged assault"....

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/61053927

"Merseyside Police said they were investigating "reports of an alleged assault" at Goodison Park on Saturday.

A spokesperson said they were liaising with both Manchester United and Everton.

"As players were leaving the pitch at 2.30pm, it was reported that a boy was assaulted by one of the away team as they left the pitch," they added."

moses

Can't We Just Be Nice?
Staff
No excuse for what Ronaldo did but I bet that boys mums going to be milking it now and making it sound worse then it was. Ronaldo will no doubt make that boy happy in the end with probably a new phone and a ticket to a game or something.
If anyone, ever mind some some multi millionaire adult twat did anything of the sort to my kid I'd not just shrug it off.

Lightbringer

Police have launched an investigation into an "alleged assault"....

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/61053927
Ronaldos apology sounds more like excusing himself from blame/diverting attention, rather than genuine remorse. Not good a move by his PR-team at all.

If Ronnie came out and did a public interview where he showed genuine remorse, said what the did to a possible innocent child is unacceptable I would be willing to forgive him, but as long as he is sweeping it under the rug and acting like its nothing I will feel appalled.

DRJosh

Supports
United minus the Glazers
Embarrassing from Ronaldo. He really is a shell of the player he once was...both on and now off the pitch

moses

Can't We Just Be Nice?
Staff
Well, its possible that a autistic child would knew less boundaries and thus be more likely to film Ronaldo without being fully aware as a regular individual that it could be deemed disrespectful, that is where I was going. I would possible give an autistic child a tiny bit more slack.
Exactly.

Lightbringer

Just curious, as I am not from England - is it a crime or illegal to film a player like the kid at the location? A felony or misdemeanor even? I get that it could be viewed as disrespectful, just wanted to know if it could be more to it than that!

I dont know if the kid just was excited to see Ronaldo in flesh and wanted to film him and keep it as a memory, or if he was being disrespectful, that remains to be seen.

Hernandez - BFA

The Way to Fly
People who make it out as if it’s “nothing event” - I wonder how they would feel if it was their child’s hand and phone being slapped.

I don’t even have kids and even I’d get wound up by that prospect.

Ronaldo apologised which is good. He’ll get fined which is deserved. We can move on, but the pro-Ronaldo-above-all-else fans need to stop painting it as if what he did was an acceptable act and one that should be tolerated.

Lightbringer

Video from the kids phone or it didn't happen.
I am sure the detectives thats investigating the case will look into this. Forensic evidence could be crucial in a potential court case. Maybe its possible to detect if the alleged victim is hurling abuse at Ronaldo before the attack takes place - or if he is just an innocent part.

smi11ie

Not a philogynist
Supports
Rangers
Kid was way over the barrier impeding Ronaldo's path and trying to photograph his injury. People shouting abuse ect. Ronaldo got annoyed by an asshole. Of course he was wrong because that's the position he holds.