Ronaldo or Van Dijk

DVG7

Think this should be an interesting discussion. Who would people rather have in the current united set up? Ronaldo pretty much guarantees goals, and Van dijk pretty much guarantees to stop leaking as many stupid ones whilst providing the commanding personality lacking from the squad.

AshRK

Ronaldo. Ronaldo will get you goals in most half decent teams but for VVD to be VVD of Liverpool he needs a stable system. We would improve if we had VVD in our defence but we would still manage to concede silly goals.

TheReligion

Abusive
Think this should be an interesting discussion. Who would people rather have in the current united set up? Ronaldo pretty much guarantees goals, and Van dijk pretty much guarantees to stop leaking as many stupid ones whilst providing the commanding personality lacking from the squad.
Ronaldo.

Not sure why anyone would pick VVD when our defence is pretty solid (look at the stats).

It's the weakened midfield that isn't helping and places more pressure on them than needed.

Foxbatt

None of them would change much with an incompetent manager.

Paul_Scholes18

I take Van Dijk. Partly so Pool can't have him. If we get him for free even better.

Varun

Staff
Ronaldo is 34 so VVD. At their peaks, it's a no contest. Ronaldo every single time.

I assume you mean the current players, rather than in their respective primes? That would be no question. I would still probably take Ronaldo though for the influence and drive he would give to the team. We would have VVD shaking like a shitting dog in no time with our lack of anything resembling a midfield.

TsuWave

Ronaldo is arguably the best footballer of all time.

RedCurry

Past it Ronaldo on exorbitant salary who has never shown to care about league titles or an in prime VVD? I would pick VVD. But if we were picking between peak Ronaldo and peak VVD then obviously Ronaldo as there’s no substitute for goals.

SportingCP96

emotional range of a teaspoon
Supports
Sporting Clube de Portugal
Past it Ronaldo on exorbitant salary who has never shown to care about league titles or an in prime VVD? I would pick VVD. But if we were picking between peak Ronaldo and peak VVD then obviously Ronaldo as there’s no substitute for goals.
If this is past it Ronaldo I can’t imagine what retirement Ronaldo will be like!

What is that 12 straight games scoring and 19 in his last 12? The old fecker is still better then 98% of the players in the world and he is 35.

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
Tough one. Maguire and Van Dijk is some partnership, it's like a Mourinho wet dream or something. Ronaldo is obviously still world class, but he needs service, and we don't have a lot of that going round at the minute. I actually think our main problems lie in other areas neither of them play in.

Skills

Snitch
The second best attacking player in the world will always be more valuable than the best defender in the world.

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20
Jeez, hows this even a question. You get to chose the best player ever (yeah along Messi) above an player who just had one world class season- easy?

RUCK4444

None of them would change much with an incompetent manager.
Don’t be silly. We have players who lack movement and that has been EXACTLY the same under the previous three managers.

Peak Ronaldo would have this team finishing 3rd guaranteed.

In my opinion our attack needs addressing more than defence anyway.

mu4c_20le

Ronaldo's mentality > Van Dijk's mentality, and that is without any bias. Don't forget VVD was coasting in his career until he met Klopp at 28.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
Ronaldo still has a good 5 years in him as a top 10 player, I’m not convinced Van Dijk does.

Zen

Ronaldo's mentality > Van Dijk's mentality, and that is without any bias. Don't forget VVD was coasting in his career until he met Klopp at 28.
Some great coasting that not only Liverpool would have comfortably made him the most expensive defender around.... being fooled by his clubs.

RedDevil@84

Ronaldo again and again. Scoring is so underrated sometimes. We would comfortably be top 3 if we had someone who would put away the half and quarter chances that we create in every game

imperi

As the legendary Johan Cruyff put it: "To win you have to score one more goal than your opponent".
A great defender helps you not lose, a great attacker helps you win.
Oh yeah also, Ronaldo is arguably one of the best players to ever play the game.

DVG7

I do mean the current versions. So with VVD you have your central defence sorted for 5 years, but with Ronaldo you have maybe 2 more years but him teaching Rashford/greenwood etc.

I’d choose Ighalo.... sorry, Ronaldo

Brwned

Have you ever been in love before?
I assume you mean the current players, rather than in their respective primes? That would be no question. I would still probably take Ronaldo though for the influence and drive he would give to the team. We would have VVD shaking like a shitting dog in no time with our lack of anything resembling a midfield.
I think that's overlooking one of van Dijk's best qualities personally. I reckon he's comparably arrogant to Ronaldo, really acts like the dogs bollocks, while being incredibly composed in all phases of the game. Ronaldo absolutely leads by example but van Dijk does that while also giving the entire defensive unit a sense of calm. He definitely would be more exposed here, but Ronaldo would also be a lot more subdued. We're shite at protecting the defence and supplying the forwards - no matter how good the individual is, they'll always suffer in those conditions.

I think I'd have to go for van Dijk just for the longevity, but man it would be nice to have someone capable of scoring goals from anywhere at any time.

Bubz27

No I won’t change your tag line
What chances is Ronaldo supposed to convert?

kafta

Perpetual Under 11's Team Player
Ronaldo every time. We’d win most of the easier games we dropped points in with him in our team.

Zlatattack

Ronaldo - how is this even a question. He's as quick, fit and lethal as he's ever been.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
The second best attacking player in the world will always be more valuable than the best defender in the world.
Yep. You can probably extend that as far to the top 10. Especially in the modern game.

Snow

Somewhere down the lane, a licky boom boom down
Ronaldo is exactly the kind of player we need. An effective attacker that's great at making runs and can actually be on the receiving end of a cross. We already have a defense that lets in the 2nd or 3rd fewest shots in the league.

Welbeckham

I would honestly pick Van Dijk. I simply think he’s that good. We would still need lots of other things in both cases.