Ronaldo or Van Dijk

DAK222

Supports
Liverpool
Remember when we had Ronaldo and 2 of VVD?

I don't know what you're talking about. :wenger: The PL started in 2019.

But let's be honest. A spine of vds, Rio, scholes, Ronaldo/Rooney was just outright cheating. And you wonder why you were hated.

Kush

Hyperbolic and will post where they like!!
Ronaldo, no question. The man is 35 tomorrow and has still scored 36 goals in 38 matches this season, absolute freak of a footballer.

roonster09

FA Cup Predictions 2023/2024 winner
Scout
Ronaldo. He makes half chances into good chances, makes hopeful floating cross into good cross. He is a goal scoring machine.

Lebo

People tend to overrate defenders and their value in the game. I’m not saying they aren’t useful but personally I found a lot of value in Evra as a player vs Ferdinand and Vidic because of his ability to carry the call forward. Ronaldo will elevate any team in the world in a way that VVD can’t.

Invictus

Poster of the Year 2015 & 2018
Staff
Supports
Piracy on the High Seas.
Ronaldo, even though he is 35 years old now and you obviously have to wonder how much longer he's going to last as an elite forward in the top leagues. The man continues to defy conventional logic regarding age — which inspires confidence in his ability to sustain a good level over the coming 2-3 years barring some catastrophic injury, and his air of composure and predatory movement to sniff out and bury half-chances that others can't sense and unquenchable thirst for glory would resolve a lot of concerns surrounding our lackluster attack.

For what it's worth, Van Dijk is an excellent center back and radiates an impregnable aura to go with top-notch organisational skills — like Nesta and Ferdinand and Godín in the years gone by (classic defenders who improved the department with their mere presence), but in my mind he doesn't compare favorably with one of the most decisive and clinical and motivated forwards in football when it comes to a team that is worryingly profligate and panicky in front of goal.

You aren't winning a whole lot of matches even if you batten down the hatches in defense when your attackers can't convert on a consistent basis, and Cristiano is about as consistent as they come even at an advanced age (16 goals for Juventus in the last couple of months alone lends credence to that assertion).

Gehrman

Phallic connoisseur, unlike shamans
Ronaldo even at 35 he's still among the best goalscorers in the world. I would also take a 32 year old Messi over VVD.

Raven

Hmmm... the greatest player of all time, or a CB who's had a couple of world class seasons in his absolute prime? Ronaldo has been one of the best and most successful footballers for over a decade and is showing no signs of slowing down. Ronaldo every day of the week. Every young player wants to play with Ronaldo as well.

Carl

has permanently erect nipples
Think this should be an interesting discussion. Who would people rather have in the current united set up? Ronaldo pretty much guarantees goals, and Van dijk pretty much guarantees to stop leaking as many stupid ones whilst providing the commanding personality lacking from the squad.
The only way anyone would possibly choose VVD is if you already had someone of Ronaldo's ability (Messi).

VVD is an incredible defender. One of the best right now. However Ronaldo is one of the best ever.

stepic

i take VVD. Ronaldo may be banging them in in the italian league, but he wouldn't have much left for the PL I don't think. and we'd get maybe 1 or 2 seasons at best with him. VVD is the best defender in the world, and we'd have him for his prime.

bsCallout

Ronaldo. Not even close. He addresses all our biggest weaknesses on his own. VVD just makes a defence that's already decent at defending, a bit better at defending. We can't score so why would we get VVD.

For that reason

Haaland > Koulibaly
Sancho > De Ligt

and on, and on

TRUERED89

i take VVD. Ronaldo may be banging them in in the italian league, but he wouldn't have much left for the PL I don't think. and we'd get maybe 1 or 2 seasons at best with him. VVD is the best defender in the world, and we'd have him for his prime.
If he's still banging them in, in the CL, he'd terrorise the PL currently. Every one below Liverpool is average or just terrible, Ronaldo would make a mockery of these lot. PL really isn't that special compared to other leagues, especially not defensively hence why we see so many daft goals being scored.

Zen

Why are people still writing off a defenders influence on the attack?

VVD hasn’t just influenced Liverpools defence, they are more potent scorers with him too ... just because he doesn’t score them is irrelevant

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
How soulless would anyone be to pick a defender over one of the world's best ever attackers!

stepic

How soulless would anyone be to pick a defender over one of the world's best ever attackers!
because he's 35 tomorrow. do people seriously think he's going to be still one of the world's best attackers in 2 years? in the PL?? it's mental. and to forego the services of the best defender in the world to get maybe a season or two out of Ronaldo makes even less sense. even with Ronaldo, we're not winning anything anyway with the other weaknesses in the team in such an incredibly short window.

UDontMessWith24

I don't know what you're talking about. :wenger: The PL started in 2019.

But let's be honest. A spine of vds, Rio, scholes, Ronaldo/Rooney was just outright cheating. And you wonder why you were hated.
After Ronaldo they were the two most important players on those teams, more so than Rooney IMO. Attempts to replace them have been even more shocking than the attempts to replace Ronaldo too.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
because he's 35 tomorrow. do people seriously think he's going to be still one of the world's best attackers in 2 years? in the PL?? it's mental. and to forego the services of the best defender in the world to get maybe a season or two out of Ronaldo makes even less sense. even with Ronaldo, we're not winning anything anyway with the other weaknesses in the team in such an incredibly short window.
I took the question as a hypothetical, both at their peak question.

You're right it goes right back the other direction if you are talking current versions.

You can imagine how frustrated Ronaldo would get at our lack of creativity!

stepic

I took the question as a hypothetical, both at their peak question.

You're right it goes right back the other direction if you are talking current versions.

You can imagine how frustrated Ronaldo would get at our lack of creativity!
oh if it's peak Ronaldo then there's no question about it, you take him of course.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
Ronaldo. Not even close. 35 year old Ronaldo over peak Van Djik every day of the week.

billybee99

Why are people still writing off a defenders influence on the attack?

VVD hasn’t just influenced Liverpools defence, they are more potent scorers with him too ... just because he doesn’t score them is irrelevant
Because Ronaldo used to play for us and VVD plays for Liverpool. Why else? Do you think on neutral forums, people would be picking a 35 yr old Ronaldo over the best defender in the world on the best team in the world at a 90% plus ratio? I think not. I think it would probably be a bit more evenly split or perhaps even in favor of VVD. It's the same reason you see so many people picking Ronaldo over Messi in that thread when, in the real world, it is not even a debate (and by "real world", I mean in places not occupied by fans of his former teams - United, Real, Sporting).

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
I've seen people say this a lot but it just isn't true. Keeping clean sheets is harder..
Strikers still tend to go for bigger money, and get bigger wages than defenders. There's a reason for that.

Do you think on neutral forums, people would be picking a 35 yr old Ronaldo over the best defender in the world
Is this a piss take? Ignore the age for a second, this is a guy who's literally just scored 19 goals in his last 12 games.

Messi never played for United, and he's 33 soon, of course I'd still be picking him too.

Chipper

Adulterer.
A slower, older Ronaldo who scores half his goals from the penalty spot isn't going to do much in our side that severely lacks creativity.

Van Dijk easily.

mu4c_20le

Ronaldo would still need some service. And how many years are left in him?

VVD would give us the best CB in the world for 4+ years.
If the italian papers are to be believed, we have a realistic chance of signing Koulibaly, who isn't that far off. I don't think we have a realistic chance of signing anyone on Ronaldo's level.

Fosu-Mens

If the italian papers are to be believed, we have a realistic chance of signing Koulibaly, who isn't that far off. I don't think we have a realistic chance of signing anyone on Ronaldo's level.
VVD is far better than any other CB in the world.
Ronaldo, while still a great goalscorer, still needs service. He needs good crosses and players around him. When he played for us, he was less dependent on others to create. After going to Real he has developed more into a specialized goalscorer.

If you were to build a team from scratch, which we basically have to do, would you build around VVD or Ronaldo?

Son

Van Dijk all day long as it stands...

If they where both the same age. No contest. Ron.
Messi is the only player who would transform our side fully by himself so I'd take him over either.

VVD is far better than any other CB in the world.
Ronaldo, while still a great goalscorer, still needs service. He needs good crosses and players around him. When he played for us, he was less dependent on others to create. After going to Real he has developed more into a specialized goalscorer.

If you were to build a team from scratch, which we basically have to do, would you build around VVD or Ronaldo?
The underrating of Ronaldo here, we'd be comfortably in the CL spots with Ronaldo in the side. And whilst VVD is incredible, I don't think he alone would change our league position all that much.

If all Ronaldo did was to just turned half of our draws to wins, we'd be on 43 points now.

We can't build anything from scratch and if we're gonna go on age here then your same logic obviously has to apply to soon 33 yr old Messi. I think of the question as more of what we need now, what could improve us most now.