Ronaldo | Refused to come on as sub, left OT | Axed from squad for Chelsea & fined 2 weeks wages

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shez

@towerofbabel Greatest player ever to play for United ? Give me a break. Love Ronaldo but no way is he greater in our history than some of the other names you put down. I don’t give a damn about what he did and scored for real - GOAT for football but not GOAT for man utd. Legend yes, but no one is bigger than the club. Fergie shipped Beckham out the sec he started thinking he was bigger than the manager / club, even though he thought Becks had the highest ceiling of any player under him at the time

lex talionis

I’m just now catching up to the TalkSoort discussion involving Souness. Anyone who doubted that he’s a piece of bitter shit should check out his latest idiocy. His thesis comes down to Ronaldo must be made happy.

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Funny thing about Souness is that he was dead set against the signing saying it would be a bust. Now the club should break their backs to make Cristiano happy :lol:

RedOrange

I agree nobody is above the club but there is no Manchester United of today without the past United greats whose stunning careers at this club earned them legendary status. Sir Matt Busby, George Best, Sir Bobby Charlton, Sir Alex, Eric Cantona, Cristiano, etc. Remind yourself Cristiano is the greatest player ever to play for Manchester United.
Out of curiosity, what would a player being "above the club" look like to you?

Ronaldo honed his skills at United from 17, fecked off at his earliest convenience after he reached superstar status, playing the entire peak of his career at another club, then came back at the end of his career expecting to keep his starting spot no matter what. Oh, and the instant we didn't make CL he wanted to feck off again. To me that is the textbook definition of "above the club".

United was previously a stepping stone to Real Madrid for Ronaldo and now it's a retirement package, a place for him to play poorly on massive wages while we all kiss his ass and pretend like he isn't too old to play at the top level anymore while we lose matches and pretend it's someone else's fault.

Real Name

I mean, he has always been egoistic in the way he acts throughout his career, it’s not news to anyone.

Basically those hating him would probably always hate him, while those idolizing/respecting him would probably always idolize/respect him too.

On the recent incidence, it’s more of case of him thinking himself being bigger than the manager or even the club, I don’t really think people are really surprise with that, as he has been exhibiting such character (all about himself) throughout his career.
You're right about other things but bolded part not. Oh I see you wrote probably, then yes probably but not always. And yes, you're right he thinks he's bigger than the club and that's why this situation should be resolved soon in the sense of him leaving. It's just that I dont know if he's aware how much he's damaging the connection he has with United fans.

Real Name

I agree nobody is above the club but there is no Manchester United of today without the past United greats whose stunning careers at this club earned them legendary status. Sir Matt Busby, George Best, Sir Bobby Charlton, Sir Alex, Eric Cantona, Cristiano, etc. Remind yourself Cristiano is the greatest player ever to play for Manchester United. He deserves the utmost respect of everyone associated with the club including our current manager. You may not like him, his attitude, his on-field drama, his over ambitious displays and all, but I don't think it is right to forget what hes done and achieved at this club and disrespect him. Consistently, for many years he's put smiles on our faces, and left us fans in awe of his outstanding performances, hence, being referred to, arguably, as the greatest of all time. Some people say "he doesn't play for the team", "he's a selfish player", but he's the second player with the highest number of assists in football history, after Messi, much more number of assists than the likes of Xavi, Iniesta, Cesc, Modric...etc. It's always been Cristiano pushing himself to be better, and he has done so well surpassing any legend, dead or alive. We can't just overlook all that, and ridicule him for his recent mistakes. Cristiano has nothing to prove to ETH, at this age. He was our top scorer last season for God sake. He deserves to start games for United ahead of these players who are the biggest contributors of our longest trophy drought in half a century. If you're not seeing the obvious and seriously worrying poor performance of the other attacking young players at United, especially Rashford and Sancho, and have chosen to single out a 37 year old legend, who at his age gave his all for United, for the game, for the teammates, for the fans, and for himself, then you need to sincerely ask yourself, "why exactly am I hating?"
Is this some parody account?

Irwin99

Mutually beneficial to both parties. He gets minutes for the World Cup and we get someone who can play the number 9 role, even if he is out of form and in a sulk. Think people forget that, besides youth team prospects, we only have two strikers in the squad with Martial out.

LordSpud

Its a few more week until the World Cup, lets get to that and hopefully make the right decision to get him out on Jan, just so long as we get another striker in.

As for Ronaldo, he's done his bit of time and had the fine so lets carry on.

TMDaines

Fun sponge.
Hope Ten Hag brings him on in the 92nd minute.
I was disappointed that he's already been brought back into the fold. but actually it would be worth it for this. Even better if we are defending a corner with only a minute of stoppage time left.

fishfingers15

Contributes to username and tagline changes
I suppose it might but I'd hope the players aren't so fragile. They're all grown men, top professionals.

And so far there are no signs of Ronaldo controlling the performance of others whilst he's on the bench or at home. We're playing as well as we have for a long time.
So is Ronaldo, but he is acting like a douche.

BedStuyRed

I was disappointed that he's already been brought back into the fold. but actually it would be worth it for this. Even better if we are defending a corner with only a minute of stoppage time left.
I think we looked a bit leggy in the second half on Saturday. We're going to need to rest as many of the 11on Thursday that are going to start against West Ham next Sunday, which means we're going to need the likes of Ronaldo to start the game. He has it all to prove, let's see what he does.

Foxbatt

Did you sign up just to defend Cristiano? Seems you're a Cristiano fan more than a United one.
Of course lots of Cristiano Ronaldo fans here. They would bugger off somewhere else as soon as he leaves. The same with others too. We had Moyes fans, LVG fans, Jose fans and Ole fans. Many of them have disappeared.

croadyman

Its a few more week until the World Cup, lets get to that and hopefully make the right decision to get him out on Jan, just so long as we get another striker in.

As for Ronaldo, he's done his bit of time and had the fine so lets carry on.
I agree but my biggest concern is which striker can we get in January,on the other hand we can't afford to wait until the summer.

Borys

Statistics Wizard
I agree nobody is above the club but there is no Manchester United of today without the past United greats whose stunning careers at this club earned them legendary status. Sir Matt Busby, George Best, Sir Bobby Charlton, Sir Alex, Eric Cantona, Cristiano, etc. Remind yourself Cristiano is the greatest player ever to play for Manchester United. He deserves the utmost respect of everyone associated with the club including our current manager. You may not like him, his attitude, his on-field drama, his over ambitious displays and all, but I don't think it is right to forget what hes done and achieved at this club and disrespect him. Consistently, for many years he's put smiles on our faces, and left us fans in awe of his outstanding performances, hence, being referred to, arguably, as the greatest of all time. Some people say "he doesn't play for the team", "he's a selfish player", but he's the second player with the highest number of assists in football history, after Messi, much more number of assists than the likes of Xavi, Iniesta, Cesc, Modric...etc. It's always been Cristiano pushing himself to be better, and he has done so well surpassing any legend, dead or alive. We can't just overlook all that, and ridicule him for his recent mistakes. Cristiano has nothing to prove to ETH, at this age. He was our top scorer last season for God sake. He deserves to start games for United ahead of these players who are the biggest contributors of our longest trophy drought in half a century. If you're not seeing the obvious and seriously worrying poor performance of the other attacking young players at United, especially Rashford and Sancho, and have chosen to single out a 37 year old legend, who at his age gave his all for United, for the game, for the teammates, for the fans, and for himself, then you need to sincerely ask yourself, "why exactly am I hating?"
Is this bot-generated post, or your serious take on the topic?

OutOfTowner

JCL Daytripping WUM
This post really does fit well with your username.

Greck

Is this bot-generated post, or your serious take on the topic?
Going to stop engaging "Ronaldo should start tomorrow because of what happened in the past" logic. The past (last season) wasn't even great. Plus Ronaldo asskissing last season meant he wasn't just part of our trophy drought but was also jointly responsible for its lowest point. The constant notion that he is better than others when his inclusion directly lines up with worse outcomes. What even is our best run of form with Ronaldo in the team? Even the games we do win are always a tight affair because of the inefficiency of feeding only one guy.

svn

Honestly, the best message ETH can send to Ronaldo and the squad is to bring him on for the last few minutes against Sherrif.

Adebisi's Hat

Supports
who do you feckin think ?
i cant decide if Sourness is trying to imitate an Azzhat or is just a Azzhat, not making himself look good though and probably still bitter given Liverpools season so far.

M Bison

Supports
York City
Wouldn’t surprise me if he started against Sheriff. Not because ETH is backing down but to allow some rotation.

Borys

Statistics Wizard
Going to stop engaging "Ronaldo should start tomorrow because of what happened in the past" logic. The past (last season) wasn't even great. Plus Ronaldo asskissing last season meant he wasn't just part of our trophy drought but was also jointly responsible for its lowest point. The constant notion that he is better than others when his inclusion directly lines up with worse outcomes. What even is our best run of form with Ronaldo in the team?
I don't think many people think he's better than our other options, and certainly even less people think we're actually a better team with him on the pitch.

"Ronaldo should start tomorrow because of what happened in the past" logic
This logic is so ridiculous it's a waste of time to argue with it.

KiD MoYeS

Good Craig got his c'nuppins
The longer this has sat with me the more I want him to go.

He left when he was entering his prime years. He has returned and again looked to leave.

Remember the geese

Would only feel that IF we could get a David/Osimhen in January not next summer
Yeah if we don't sign a striker in January then it's unrealistic to think that we won't use Ronaldo. As much as I'd loathe to see him play for us, we are far too short up top unfortunately. I hope he's gone in January.

Santoryo

ripping the reward
This is pure cringe crap. Fecking embarrassing to read.

Ronaldo fanatics are another breed. Going through the effort to sign up so you could write this utterly cringe nonsense.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
You're right about other things but bolded part not. Oh I see you wrote probably, then yes probably but not always. And yes, you're right he thinks he's bigger than the club and that's why this situation should be resolved soon in the sense of him leaving. It's just that I dont know if he's aware how much he's damaging the connection he has with United fans.
Well yes I agree him leaving will be the best solution to all parties, the club, himself and the fans. But with WC coming up soon, I think he would just eat humble pie for now and would try to offer himself for the team, in exchange for valuable game time.

Irwin99

Standing ovation. No doubt.
:lol:

I hope it's not boos even though match going fans are perfectly entitled to do so after the way he's treated the club. Indifference and the sense that he has to earn a bit of respect again would be better.

I kind of would like all this business to be over and no more drama on either end.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist

He left when he was entering his prime years. He has returned and again looked to leave.
This time he was looking to leave because Ten hag didn't see him as a starter though. He didn't ask to leave right away. He asked to leave and skipped pre-season pretty much after Ten Hag started having these talks with everyone. I'm always ok with a player wanting to leave if they don't agree with the role they have. There's a way to do it though.

But yeah, he's gotta go, and it's more due to his footballing ability at this point than anything else IMO.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
As much as I'd rather he sit out fully, we have 2 more europa league games to get through and a league cup game vs Villa. We have 6 games until the world cup, Ronaldo will likely start in the 3 games where we rotate, so we can rest our actual starters for the prem. That'll bring us to the world cup, and basically the January window where he can go and can be replaced.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid

Pretty much this.

When WE needed him the most, he decided he was better than us and wanted to leave.

Now he's upset and wanting to play, suddenly we should put him first because of his reputation? :lol: some cheek

dabronxolivera

Supports
Al Hilal
Same question should go for other (younger) United strikers. You don't raise the bar in evaluating him. Facts don't lie. The best strikers in the league score 20+ goals in a season. Cristiano has achieved that benchmark at 37, as he has done most of his playing career. That makes him United’s top striker still... and yes, he achieved that against premiership and champions league teams. How many goals Rashford scored last season and this season? As I said earlier, Ronaldo would have scored the chances Rashford squandered against Newcastle and Chelsea. Martial "injured" yet again. Looks like he is in for another season of very little effort for mega bucks. What was Sancho doing last season and this season. You cant deny even in his bad day, Cristiano is still better than the current players we have right now. CR700 must start every game ahead of them before the curtain closed. Hopefully, we will sign a proper striker to replace him in January or in the summer.
Ronaldo would not have scored those chances because his aging body would not let him get that chance in the first place. Whats your point ? If my aunt has balls he would be my uncle. Are you his sister or what ? How cant you see the team plays worse with him ? This doesnt count how many offsides, shite touches, shit passes and horrible shots he took while he started for us this season. How would Ronaldo score vs Chelsea and Newcastle when he barely scores vs team from Moldova and Cyprus ? Rashford and Martial got subbed in EL and instantly scored if your memory got clouded by any chance. I mean Ronaldo in his prime achieved 37 goals, but as the matter of fact he currently is a 37 years old washed out star and not in his prime. Why not bring back Cantona Rooney RVP while we are at it too ? We are not talking about his past achievements.

Black Adder

Rarer than an eclipse.
Yes and no.

Yes to the point about not needing to prove himself to ETH. Evertyhing above that I agree, that Cristiano was devastating force, he's in the history books forever.

No about last part. He's not that player any more, neither in age or ability- doesn't run, doesn't press, asks for ball to the feet but loses it easily, defenders knock him off the ball with ease, he's just slower in reaction and it's something that comes at sooner or later. Team play everything through him when onto the pitch and his return is 2 goals (one penalty), thats seriously substandard for anyone let alone Cristiano Ronaldo.

Still can play in less demanding league, but United doesn't need him as a burden anymore.

Status
Not open for further replies.