Rooney Charged: Faces Two Match Ban for cursing | Appeal lost

manufanatic

"crazy"
Football is a working class game, the people complaining about this either have children or do not attend football matches, if they attended football matches, even a grass level neutral game then they would hovel in horror at the obscenity of the chants. feck is just a word, I don't see how anyone could take offense to it.
this!

gaffs

Football is a working class game, the people complaining about this either have children or do not attend football matches, if they attended football matches, even a grass level neutral game then they would hovel in horror at the obscenity of the chants. feck is just a word, I don't see how anyone could take offense to it.
Football has not been a "working class" game for 20 years.

MG

Football is still very much a working class game.

If not, what other sports have the working class turned to instead?
If it was still a "working class" game they wouldn't be charging £55 a ticket for the worst seats. Those type of prices are definitely not working class. The enormous amount of money pouring into the game from TV revenues etc means the price of everything has gone up, the middle class corporate executives have infiltrated the game, pushing out a lot of the working class supporters who can't afford to go.

You have to be pretty comfortably off at least to afford a season ticket these days. Football still has a huge amount of working class fans but hasn't been properly, completely working class since the 80s.

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
When's this frigging announcement anyway, are they leaving it as long as possibly just for the fun of it?

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
James Beattie screamed 'feck' when he failed to catch up with Zamora for Fulham's second goal too. It happens in every match as clear as day, the whole reaction is farcical in the extreme.

Pogue Mahone

Swiftie Fan Club President
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
If it was still a "working class" game they wouldn't be charging £55 a ticket for the worst seats. Those type of prices are definitely not working class. The enormous amount of money pouring into the game from TV revenues etc means the price of everything has gone up, the middle class corporate executives have infiltrated the game, pushing out a lot of the working class supporters who can't afford to go.

You have to be pretty comfortably off at least to afford a season ticket these days. Football still has a huge amount of working class fans but hasn't been properly, completely working class since the 80s.
The mistake you're making there is thinking that football begins and ends with the Premier League.

Bryan_Munich

Aka RichieRich12
James Beattie screamed 'feck' when he failed to catch up with Zamora for Fulham's second goal too. It happens in every match as clear as day, the whole reaction is farcical in the extreme.
Let's face it, the issue is the fact that he chose to do it straight down the camera lens.

Obviously swearing on the pitch happens every week and if the camera picks that up that is just considered unfortunate.

Zen

You wanna know the best thing about all this....when it first aired, I didn't even hear it, and I doubt a lot of others would have, especially kids....but thanks to the dumbass media, in a great sense of irony, pretty much every kid probably knows about it.

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
He didnt shout it down a TV camera though.
There was a close up of him at the time, the camera doesn't need to be right next to you for them to get a full screen shot of you. There is always a camera on you as a premier league player. Always. Fact is, players swear, people need to accept it and move on.

You'll sometimes see a replay of a player (or even a manager) quite clearly swearing and the commentators will laugh and say something like "I think it's fair to say he doesn't agree with that, Jeff, hahaha" or similar. It's such a nothing incident it's insane it's got such a reaction.

But then, as we know, it's always polemic with Wayne. He sells papers.

gaffs

Watching the Premier League highlights from the weekend, Reina clearly shouts "NO feckING WAY" in the face of the ref after WBA's second pen is awarded.

Apparently it's alright as long as TV cameras don't hear it.
Or if its not directed straight down the lens of the camera - i.e. to the viewers at home.

MG

The mistake you're making there is thinking that football begins and ends with the Premier League.
OK, so the Premier League isn't working class anymore, I suppose that's what I meant.

Championship football is still pretty expensive though at a lot of clubs.

Maybe in lower leagues it's still remained working class though.

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
Or if its not directed straight down the lens of the camera - i.e. to the viewers at home.
Again though, as a footballer in the premier league there is always a camera on you, for every minute you are on that pitch.

gaffs

There was a close up of him at the time, the camera doesn't need to be right next to you for them to get a full screen shot of you. There is always a camera on you as a premier league player. Always. Fact is, players swear, people need to accept it and move on.

You'll sometimes see a replay of a player (or even a manager) quite clearly swearing and the commentators will laugh and say something like "I think it's fair to say he doesn't agree with that, Jeff, hahaha" or similar. It's such a nothing incident it's insane it's got such a reaction.

But then, as we know, it's always polemic with Wayne. He sells papers.
Wayne knew that there was a camera right there and decided to "send his message" to it. Just like he did after the England V Algeria game. He knew what he was doing.

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
I don't think he was aiming his comments at viewers. Much more likely he was reacting to having been called a 'fat granny shagger', a 'fat scouse bastard', having his wife called a slut etc etc by the West Ham fans as Sam Wallace talked about in his article. Either that or the cameraman said something to him about kissing the lens or something. Why would he say what he said to viewers at home? That makes no sense.

Pogue Mahone

OK, so the Premier League isn't working class anymore, I suppose that's what I meant.

Championship football is still pretty expensive though at a lot of clubs.

Maybe in lower leagues it's still remained working class though.
Indeed it is. And that's just the professional game.

When it comes to grass roots football, played up and down the country every weekend, football remains a working class sport. It's definitely not a sport that is exclusively played or watched by the kind of sensitive, upper/middle class souls who would get all in a tizzy about someone dropping the f bomb on tv.

Pogue Mahone

I don't think he was aiming his comments at viewers. Much more likely he was reacting to having been called a 'fat granny shagger', a 'fat scouse bastard', having his wife called a slut etc etc by the West Ham fans as Sam Wallace talked about in his article. Either that or the cameraman said something to him about kissing the lens or something. Why would he say what he said to viewers at home? That makes no sense.
Probably also pissed off at Sky making such a big deal out of the elbowing incident.

In a way, I think it was a reflection of the siege mentality Fergie uses to motivate his players so effectively. Everyone is out to stop us getting what we deserve, even Sky tv. This fiasco will only reinforce what he's said and fire our players up even more.

Bryan_Munich

Aka RichieRich12
That's an interesting point actually but unfortunately it doesn't really matter.

gaffs

Again though, as a footballer in the premier league there is always a camera on you, for every minute you are on that pitch.
There is a difference between swearing while playing the game, which we see all the time and swearing down the lens of a camera.

Whether it was his intention or not, directing it down the lens of the camera means it was directed towards those watching it at home.

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
Probably also pissed off at Sky making such a big deal out of the elbowing incident.

In a way, I think it was a reflection of the siege mentality Fergie uses to motivate his players so effectively. Everyone is out to stop us getting what we deserve, even Sky tv. This fiasco will only reinforce what he's said and fire our players up even more.
That's a good point actually, all this media hoo-ha is more than likely giving SAF more ammunition for motivating the players.

hehe, media backfire.

There is a difference between swearing while playing the game, which we see all the time and swearing down the lens of a camera.

Whether it was his intention or not, directing it down the lens of the camera means it was directed towards those watching it at home.
In the case of Beattie he was swearing in frustration at his own error, in the case of Rooney he was swearing during a massive adrenaline rush after putting us back in the lead and having been on the end of dogs abuse, in the case of Reina he was swearing at the ref because he disagreed with his decision. All three players had camera's on their face making their words abundantly clear to anybody with functioning eyes, the proximity of the camera is irrelevant as far as I'm concerned.

Sky want the cameraman there to catch the raw emotion of a goalscorer and to give the viewer as good a shot of that moment as possible, for them to then want to water down that emotion is what's really scandalous if you ask me.

Eyepopper

Lowering the tone since 2006
Dont be so sensationalist, you really think players put that much thought into things when they've just scored a hatrick to bring their team back from 2-0 down in a crucial match?

Have people never heard of adrenaline?

This entire thing is bollocks, he should be told to have a bit more sense but talk about things being overblown.

gaffs

Dont be so sensationalist, you really think players put that much thought into things when they've just scored a hatrick to bring their team back from 2-0 down in a crucial match?

Have people never heard of adrenaline?

This entire thing is bollocks, he should be told to have a bit more sense but talk about things being overblown.
He was loooking at the camera for a few seconds before he started swearing at it.

Sure, it was all very heat of the moment and the adrenaline was pumping, but I do think he wanted to send a message out to people who have been knocking him this season.

Your right, it is all bollocks. But everything that goes on around the game is bollocks these days.