Rooney Dropped | Megathread closed

Status
Not open for further replies.

pixel

Rooney probably fancied playing at 10, he's been doing exactly as he pleases for years, sometimes it's been beneficial and sometimes it hasn't. Of late he's fancied himself as a bit of a deep lying "quarterback" and all he's done is get under the feet of the players with the talents to play in that position.
:lol:

2cents

Historiographer, and obtainer of rare antiquities
Scout
Fergie should take a big chunk of the responsibility for that though. Rooney has that brilliant 2009-10 season as a No.9 but for some reason never really played there again. Not consistently anyway. He signed Hernandez and dropped Rooney back to the No.10 spot. That makes no sense whatsoever.
I believe that Fergie probably started thinking about getting rid of Rooney after the contract saga of 2010, and so began planning accordingly straight away.

Treble

I don't think he was pulling that shit under SAF. It was Fergie who bought Hernandez and dropped Rooney back.

In 2010 Rooney was probably the best No.9 in the world, or close to it. A year later he's in the No.10 position being asked to mark Busquets out of the game. Crazy stuff from Fergie.
Maybe it was strange that Fergie never played him as a No.9 again. I guess Fergie wanted to make the team less dependent ot Rooney's goals because his injury vs Bayern ruined the whole season. Also he was garbage after that for many months, there was no point in making him our main striker when he couldn't buy a goal for quite a long time.

Handré1990

I can't find any, despite using a multitude of search terms. I saw it some time ago via News Now or whatever it's called, and have seen the story referenced in readers' comments on other articles.
I remember it as well, I think Moyes actually put a positive spin on it, like it was proof of how much he cared (for himself I would add)

Dobbs

I believe that Fergie probably started thinking about getting rid of Rooney after the contract saga of 2010, and so began planning accordingly straight away.
I don't think so. He continued to be an ever present in the team and was still here four years later.

Maybe it was strange that Fergie never played him as a No.9 again. I guess Fergie wanted to make the team less dependent ot Rooney's goals because his injury vs Bayern ruined the whole season. Also he was garbage after that for many months, there was no point in making him our main striker when he couldn't buy a goal for quite a long time.
It was just bad management. If your striker is capable of scoring loads of goals you don't remove him from that role to make the team less dependant. That's nuts. You just sign a decent backup.

K2K

"Can Manchester United score? They always score"
I don't think so. He continued to be an ever present in the team and was still here four years later.

It was just bad management. If your striker is capable of scoring loads of goals you don't remove him from that role to make the team less dependant. That's nuts. You just sign a decent backup.
Hernandez was supposed to be that backup.

Chicharito simply overperformed and Fergie had to find a way to keep him in the team.

It's simply a lie that Fergie was trying to sideline Rooney by signing a player from the Mexican league.

dichinero

Rooney probably fancied playing at 10, he's been doing exactly as he pleases for years, sometimes it's been beneficial and sometimes it hasn't. Of late he's fancied himself as a bit of a deep fried "quarter pounder" and all he's done is get under the feet of the players with the talents to play in that position.
Fixed!

RedCurry

Rooney himself will soon benefit from being dropped. He hasn't got the physical fitness to be the central figure at the club anymore and the pressure to try and still be that player makes him play even worse. Let him drop down to the fringe player status for a few months and he'll enjoy playing without all the stupid limelight.

Dobbs

It's simply a lie that Fergie was trying to sideline Rooney by signing a player from the Mexican league.
Well yeah but that's not what I was saying at all. Unless you're responding to someone else.

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
In 06-07 he was easily our second best player, and the same can be said for 07-08.
Rio was our second best player those years. Indeed, I consider Rio's 07/08 to be probably the best individual season any defender in the world has had in the last 15 or so years. He was ridiculously good. Only Nesta in 02/03 (I may be off by a year) could perhaps argue.

Rooney was at best our third best player those seasons, and even that is arguable with Vidic, Evra and maybe Scholes up there with him.

SirScholes

The Van Persie signing was a bit shortsighted on Fergie's part but in hindsight he did deserve to go out on a high. However, Fergie himself would say he was disappointed by Rooney's failure to kick on from that 2009-2010 breakout season that confirmed him as a world class player, of course he was coming out of a very very good individual season in 11-12 but by then the trend of scoring goals in an otherwise below par performance. So yes the RVP signing and his subsequent elevation to main man could have hurt Rooney but the circumstances then and his patchy form, even when scoring, can be used by Fergie to justify his decision.
Agreed 100% matey I tried hard to make sure it didn't look like I was criticising it from a fan point of view.
I loved rvp, I couldn't stand the tactics we deployed because we were playing awful footy

itso 7

Fergie should take a big chunk of the responsibility for that though. Rooney has that brilliant 2009-10 season as a No.9 but for some reason never really played there again. Not consistently anyway. He signed Hernandez and dropped Rooney back to the No.10 spot. That makes no sense whatsoever.
As you said, in a later post, Rooney was arguably the best No.9 in 2009-10 but he was dreadful in the role during the WC and the first half of that season when contracts and granny shagging reared their ugly heads. Berbatov outperformed him in the role and Chicharito burst through plus Rooney was sensational in the deeper role. That decision was made for SAF by the situation then and it actually worked.

SirScholes

There's no doubt that Rooney was a fantastic footballer. Unfortunately he lacked the football brain needed to become a one of the best players of his generation. No wonder why, once the physical aspects of his game starting to go tilt, he stopped being effective.
I know I agree, it was aimed at one or two that claimed the whole Rooney being a great player was a myth

SirScholes

For the lovers of stats, he isn't doing any better than last season. Including the CS game and the one in the EFL Cup, he's scoring/assisting at the same rate as last season, i.e. he needs about 180 min. to contribute a goal.
Does that mean a goal every other game? If so that's not too bad tbf.
But I know it's not just about that and I'm in agreement he needs to be benched from now on, unless of course he finds form from 3 years ago

Revan

Assumptionman
As you said, in a later post, Rooney was arguably the best No.9 in 2009-10 but he was dreadful in the role during the WC and the first half of that season when contracts and granny shagging reared their ugly heads. Berbatov outperformed him in the role and Chicharito burst through plus Rooney was sensational in the deeper role. That decision was made for SAF by the situation then and it actually worked.
Diego Milito was easily the best No.9 in the world that season, but Rooney probably was the second best (only David Villa and Didier Drogba might contest it), but the point stands. Rooney was crap as a striker in the following season, with Berba outperforming him, and in the second half of the season he played arguably the best football of his career almost as a No.10. He was brilliant in the second striker position role in the following season despite that his all round game suffered, but his end product skyrocketed. RVP had a better overall season though, which I think pushed Fergie to go for him. Unfortunately RVP was near the end of his career and Rooney started the decline by the end of that season.

NinjaZombie

Punched the air when Liverpool beat City
If this was true, Ferguson was playing the long game, considering Rooney was still part of the side as far ahead as 4 years later. One thing I noticed was, Rooney never got the captain's armband after that episode. He used to sporadically captain us a few times if a couple of the others who are ahead of him in queue were missing (like Neville, Rio, Scholes etc) but this changed after 2010. I always find it funny that the one quality signing Fergie made post 2010 when Rooney was complaining of the quality of his team mates was Van Persie. In addition to that, he also bought Kagawa in the same season. 2 positions Rooney played in for us. Angry and confused indeed.

I remember it as well, I think Moyes actually put a positive spin on it, like it was proof of how much he cared (for himself I would add)
Moyes eh? The biggest mistake the club has made for a long time.

Revan

Assumptionman
But I know it's not just about that and I'm in agreement he needs to be benched from now on, unless of course he finds form from 3 years ago
A goal or assist every other game. Which isn't too bad, but when you consider the all round game which was absolutely atrocious, then that end product is poor.

Essentially, if Rooney's all round game continues being this poor, then he should give a goal/assist in less than 90 minutes in order to compensate for the all round match.

Keeps It tidy

Hates Messi
I don't think he was pulling that shit under SAF. It was Fergie who bought Hernandez and dropped Rooney back.

In 2010 Rooney was probably the best No.9 in the world, or close to it. A year later he's in the No.10 position being asked to mark Busquets out of the game. Crazy stuff from Fergie.
Most matches that season he was playing with Berbatov up front. So he really wasn't a #9 then either. Only in big matches did he play up front by himself.

Dobbs

He didn't play as the lone striker at the World Cup. He payed as the No.10 behind Heskey or Defoe.

Nor did he really play there first half of 10-11 what with everything that went on.

So not sure where you got him being terrible in that role from.

Did dropping him further back work? To me playing Hernandez and reverting back to a 442 (or 4411) was the beginning of the end of Fergie's great period.

Rooney of 09-10 was vastly superior to Hernandez. So that swap alone made no sense. Fergie started to drop Hernandez not long after.Then too keep Rooney in the team we changed from a 433 (451) back to a 442. The football got worse and worse from there on in.

You have a guy at the very top of his game, at his peak, why mess with his position? I've been very critical of Rooney in this thread so I'm not blindly defending him but that just shouldn't have happened.

Last edited:

SirScholes

He didn't play as the lone striker at the World Cup. He payed as the No.10 behind Heskey or Defoe.

Nor did he really play there first half of 10-11 what with everything that went on.

Did dropping him further back work? To me playing Hernandez and reverting back to a 442 (or 4411) was the beginning of the end of Fergie's great period.

Rooney of 09-10 was vastly superior to Hernandez. So that swap alone made no sense. Fergie himself started to drop Hernandez himself not long after.Then too keep Rooney in the team we changed from a 433 (451) back to a 442. The football got worse and worse from there on in.

You have a guy at the very top of his game, at his peak, why mess with his position? I've been very critical of Rooney in this thread so I'm not blindly defending him but that just shouldn't have happened.
I think SAF was trying to get that perfect combo again, rooney was scoring and assisting for fun from that withdrawn role, with him not being there the team suffered so he brought in chico to move rooney back. Really he should of just addressed the issue, and there is a number of arguements why he didnt, the galziers being one and saf not seeing the value in the transfer market. Personally I think it was the later and that saf didnt want to overspend on players that had yet to prove their value, examples of this are Hazard and Lucas.
Its crazy when you think Ole was used as a sub for almost all of his career here yet he was a much better player and finisher than chico that fergie wanted to turn into a first 11 player

matherto

ask me about our 50% off sale!
Rooney was at his peak until the Munich injury, we know that much. However he was rushed back because we had nobody else and got himself even more injured and then went all 'let's be a cnut in my private life' in the meantime. He was fecking terrible at the 2010 WC and then fecking awful for us for the first few months of the 2010-11 season until we caved into his tantrum and gave him a new contract then he started playing well again.

He was dropped from leading the line as a number 9 because of everything that happened from the injury against Munich onwards, let's not pretend he was in pre-injury form and SAF just moved him back for a laugh. He was dogshite when Hernandez was coming to prominence to the point where Berba and Chicharito were the ones scoring the goals. Second half of 2010-11 Rooney played like the player we know he could be but as a second striker.

Beachryan

More helpful with spreadsheets than Phurry
Obviously irrelevant to today's (non) debate, but in case people are forgetting vintage Rooney:
He really was something. Emphasis on WAS, but still. Right up there.

Edit 1: Some of his first touches are unbelievable. How did he lose that?!
Edit 2: Amazing how many of our goals are directly from Park pressuring someone. Feels like so many more mistakes back then.

2cents

Historiographer, and obtainer of rare antiquities
Scout
Obviously irrelevant to today's (non) debate, but in case people are forgetting vintage Rooney:

Edit 2: Amazing how many of our goals are directly from Park pressuring someone. Feels like so many more mistakes back then.
That counter-attack at 06:35 has flown under the radar - a hint of things to come in the following seasons.

Sky1981

Fending off the urge

On the grand scheme of things it means nothing, it's 10 years ago. 10 years ago kaka is stil bpitw, essien is still running rings at chelsea

criticalanalysis

Look at the amount of 'angry' finishes or celebrations. Yes he played on the edge and was a better/driven player because of it but it's down to frustration as well. Frustrated at what? His inconsistent game. Even the commentator picks up on it.

And no I'm not just bashing him or basing on that video. It was the same with Ronaldo when he didn't have a 'consistent' game or things didn't go his way but of course he managed his game way better and was/is a better player. Rooney's matured in that sense but he hasn't fine tuned his fundamentals as well as a professional/top player should have.

itso 7

Rooney of 09-10 was vastly superior to Hernandez. So that swap alone made no sense. Fergie started to drop Hernandez not long after.Then too keep Rooney in the team we changed from a 433 (451) back to a 442. The football got worse and worse from there on in.

What @matherto said, Sir Alex is no fool he had to do something whilst Rooney was cleaning his granny shagging mess and when his mind was dead set on insulting his team mates to get a new big contract. So Sir Alex didn't mess with Rooney's position, Rooney rushing to the WC instead of resting his foot contributed, his other antics contributed and him being shit enough to go to boot camp in the middle of the season was a major factor.

Treble

No, it means a goal/assist every other game. Or even worse, because he has 1 goal and 2 assists in 7 full games so far (including CS and EFL Cup).

SteveJ

all-round nice guy, aka Uncle Joe Kardashian
Scout
Thanks for the link. :)
Guardian said:
Rooney was given advance notice about the £37.1m deal to sign Juan Mata and has also spoken at length to the manager, David Moyes, and the chief executive, Ed Woodward, about their vision of the club under the Glazer family's ownership, in complete contrast to what happened when Ferguson was in charge.
Good grief. :(

Dobbs

Rooney was at his peak until the Munich injury, we know that much. However he was rushed back because we had nobody else and got himself even more injured and then went all 'let's be a cnut in my private life' in the meantime. He was fecking terrible at the 2010 WC and then fecking awful for us for the first few months of the 2010-11 season until we caved into his tantrum and gave him a new contract then he started playing well again.

He was dropped from leading the line as a number 9 because of everything that happened from the injury against Munich onwards, let's not pretend he was in pre-injury form and SAF just moved him back for a laugh. He was dogshite when Hernandez was coming to prominence to the point where Berba and Chicharito were the ones scoring the goals. Second half of 2010-11 Rooney played like the player we know he could be but as a second striker.
What @matherto said, Sir Alex is no fool he had to do something whilst Rooney was cleaning his granny shagging mess and when his mind was dead set on insulting his team mates to get a new big contract. So Sir Alex didn't mess with Rooney's position, Rooney rushing to the WC instead of resting his foot contributed, his other antics contributed and him being shit enough to go to boot camp in the middle of the season was a major factor.
Guys all you've said about Rooney in that summer is true but it's barmy to suggest dropping him to the No.10 spot was some kind of punishment for it. You're looking for a link that doesn't exist there.

Fergie just liked Hernandez and wanted him in the team. It was a mistake, culminating in us going up against Barcelona with a 442. Carrick and Giggs up against possibly the best three man midfield of all time.

You either get rid of Rooney after that summer or allow him to regain his epic form as a No.9. You don't switch his position and tactically change a system that upto the Bayern game was working very well indeed.

Last edited:

SteveJ

all-round nice guy, aka Uncle Joe Kardashian
Scout
That there is the main reason I was glad Moyes got sacked. The buffoon.
It begins to look like a pact: Moyes with his six-year contract, Rooney's support for him guaranteed by the granting of a 5-and-a-half-year contract. That's how desperate Moyes might've been to keep Rooney onside. None of this business puts United first in terms of priorities.

Siddharth

I take it all back Jose. You have more spine than LvG and Moyes. You have done the impossible. You have brought back meritocracy back to Man Utd. From now onward, Rooney will only play if he deserves to. Thank you.

Handré1990

I take it all back Jose. You have more spine than LvG and Moyes. You have done the impossible. You have brought back meritocracy back to Man Utd. From now onward, Rooney will only play if he deserves to. Thank you.
I wish I really could believe that. If it doesn't happen, this Leicester game will only feed the fire.

Sparky Rhiwabon

The question is...was this a "kick up the arse" and Rooney will now be straight back in, or will he need to fight his way back in with Rooney warming the bench for the foreseeable?

BlakeUtd

Smalling going on about how rooney is so influential and will be back firing in no time. To me this suggests a couple of things
1. That it was obvious to the that Rooney has been shit for a while or at least is in a really bad form this season.
2. Being vocal is more valued than being good with regards to rooney alone. Are they standing up for him because he is super friendly/ a good leader or because they fear him in a way?

"He is our captain, he is one of our main players and there is no doubt that he has got a big part to play," Smalling commented.

"He is often the most vocal in the dressing room and he was the same today. Regardless of the situation, whether he is on the bench or playing, he is always the same character and that is why he is England’s main man and our main man.

"I think he is a very experienced guy and he has played that many games it is only a matter of time before he is back in there and firing again because he is quality."

Witchking

The question is...was this a "kick up the arse" and Rooney will now be straight back in, or will he need to fight his way back in with Rooney warming the bench for the foreseeable?
If he starts on thursday then i think we can hope that he will be on the bench on the weekend. If United play well again then it will be the bench for him (i can only hope)

Status
Not open for further replies.