Rooney Dropped | Megathread closed

Status
Not open for further replies.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
While this was an excellent decision I'm not sure I buy this whole narrative of Rooney being chucked out by Jose. I think he'll be an important player this season and Jose will start him in plenty of PL games. I'd like to see him marginalised to be honest, but I'm still not convinced this is "the start of the end" as opposed to "a wake up call".

clarkydaz

I wanted Rooney dropped for a long, long time, that does not mean i "hate him" or want him unceremoniously fecked off to the MLS. A lot of the resentment towards Rooney comes from his poor performances combined with the retarded way Van Gaal handled him. I have honestly never seen the like, where a player can keep on playing poorly for so long and never have his place in the first XI questioned.
imagine if LVG done the sensible thing and just dropped him in the period where he was blatantly terrible. One more win, he would still be in a job. Then when sacked the leaked stories about how Rooney was shackled by tactics etc

SirScholes

How was rooney under fergie in his last season? pretty average at best, and didn't fergie thought rooney's time was up? that sums it up. How has rooney been under Jose? rubbish, so shit manager, great manager, he is still mediocre to terrible
You've picked this season where most people agree it's coming to an end, an end that probably started end of fergie last last season.
How was he through the vast majority of his career? Outstanding, even under moyes at Everton when he was just 16 he was a talent.
I could pick any player and find their last season's where they weren't as good doesn't mean they weren't good in their prime!

Red_toad

What a load of fiction

We United supporters wants Rooney to fail for 3 consecutive years, bringing the club with him so that we can call him shit overpaid scouse??? You'd think we'd be happy we finished 5th so that we can slag Rooney off???
Sorry I can't decipher your reply. Take a deep breath and try again.

SirScholes

He has been a great player for us, no one is arguing against that, but how he did from 2004 - 2014 isn't really relevant to how hes been performing the last couple of years. Besides, stats can be very deceiving, especially when said player has been on penalty and set piece duty for that period.

I wanted Rooney dropped for a long, long time, that does not mean i "hate him" or want him unceremoniously fecked off to the MLS. A lot of the resentment towards Rooney comes from his poor performances combined with the retarded way Van Gaal handled him. I have honestly never seen the like, where a player can keep on playing poorly for so long and never have his place in the first XI questioned.

The ball is very much in Rooneys court now. He can get his head down and prove he deserves to play for us, or he can accept his new role as a part time player.
Agreed but one he wasn't on set piece duty throughout his career ronaldo was on penalties and ruud at the start of his career.
I quoted you because you were agreeing with a post that said Rooney has never been a great player for us which is total nonsense.
I'm not saying it makes him a great player now I'm saying he has been a marvellous player for united and now needs to simmer down his career

Treble

Rooney is tarnishing his legacy with these subpar performances over the last few seasons. He'll probably break the record this season as we play some small teams in the cups but the whole saga may become increasingly tedious. For his own good he should do it soon. Otherwise, people will start to laugh at him.

BennyBlanco

fixated with Shaw's bum
The second time, when Chelsea were chasing him, Mourinho kept prompting him to come out publicly and say he wants to leave United, which he never did. The only real mistake he did for me were the original shenanigans pulled on the first contract renewal, since then he's actually showed the club a lot of respect.
Players want to leave all the time, DDG for example was ready to shoot off to Madrid 2 summers ago, Evra asked to leave twice according to Sir Alex etc. Does it hurt their status? I don't think so.

I think once the dust settles perhaps Rooney will be looked back on more fondly than he is jsut now. He's certainly a club legend anyway.

Last edited:

Nate Dogg

Don't Make Me Angry
One thing i don't understand about Rooney is why is his touch so bad, i might be wrong but earlier in his career i recall he had a decent touch/technique, although not brilliant but good enough to play for an elite club like ours. It has got so bad that it is not literally embarrassing that he can't control a ball when he is pressed and more often than not he gives the ball away.

I fully accept he would lose his pace, power and that determination he had earlier in his career but losing your touch seems something unheard of for me.

Siddharth

I got temporarily banned a couple weeks back for calling one Rooney defender 'pretentious' and I have just read pages of folks calling Rooney critics every horrible name under the sun. I guess if you throw your insults at multiple people instead of one it doesn't count.
I was banned once for calling David Moyes a dick. In hindsight, i realise, i was just ahead of my time.

itso 7

imagine if LVG done the sensible thing and just dropped him in the period where he was blatantly terrible. One more win, he would still be in a job. Then when sacked the leaked stories about how Rooney was shackled by tactics etc
Serves him right the demented fecker, if there is one guy that lost his job because of Rooney its him because as you say one more win and he'd have survived.

itso 7

While this was an excellent decision I'm not sure I buy this whole narrative of Rooney being chucked out by Jose. I think he'll be an important player this season and Jose will start him in plenty of PL games. I'd like to see him marginalised to be honest, but I'm still not convinced this is "the start of the end" as opposed to "a wake up call".
I got that vibe from the apologetic way Jose is trying to play down the decision to drop him, calling him my guy and stuff like that. If that happens then Woodward should start headhunting a new boss because we know exactly how it ends.

sunama

Baghdad Bob
That's a bit harsh because I think the last thing he can be accused of is bad finishing. He isn't a striker period, he doesn't play like on so he doesn't get opportunities to score and therefore like you said, he is pretty much a non-scoring player (he isn't a striker for me anymore).
Things I don't expect from him is having a positive influence on the game and that is whether by passing, moving, dribbling and even influencing/encouraging others. If he cannot provide that then there is no need for him to play so much.
At the start of the season, Jose made it clear, he is a NO.9 OR NO.10.
These are strikers' positions.
Rooney is a striker. A non-scoring striker, but a striker none the less.

Handré1990

One of our better player under Moyes. Top scorer under LvG season 1 (I think) and some 14-15 odd goals last season despite being poor for the first 3-4 months, missing time through injury and playing a lot of his time in CM. I understand saying he's one of our worst this season but extending this and making it look he's been awful for 3 years is just wrong. This is what I'd meant in the other thread when I said people will begin to rewrite history. He's definitely been in decline for 2-3 years but he's not been anywhere even close to being among our worst performers.
Come on, mate! This isn't even his worst period of the last three years. Last fall he went an obscene amount of games as the main striker without contributing to a single point on the scoreboard. Last fall was when everybody should have known he was never coming back to his best, he made watching the team I love into a painful duty. I felt physical distress when watching.

When he finally scored a goal during the christmas run, with his backheel from yet another Martial assist I cheered like crazy,but then the papers wrote "He's back" or some shite, and I felt like crying. (Remember Martial had to hit it hard on his foot while one yard from goal earlier that season to see Rooney make the scoreboard). What we're seing now is more of the same.

Wrt your condescending green smiley when someone suggests he's not a United legend, in their eyes, you're doing more harm than good to your own case. To me he is a club legend, simply for everything he's achieved in his time here, but he's never going to be as big as Evra for me, never mind the all time greats. Like some have already stated, this is a strictly business relationship for me after he called out the club. I loved the fact that Evra spoke out after that, Rooney grew up in the near vicinity of Manchester, but Evra understood what the club is all about.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
At the start of the season, Jose made it clear, he is a NO.9 OR NO.10.
These are strikers' positions.
Rooney is a striker. A non-scoring striker, but a striker none the less.
Jose can say whatever he wants but you can still use your eyes and brains to see that Rooney's position and role hasn't changed one bit from under LVG (yeah he played a few games up front but most of the time he wasn't) and he wasn't considered a striker anymore. He isn't a striker, doesn't play like one, doesn't occupy the position of one and therefore you cannot expect him to have a scoring record of one. Managers are always speaking gospel truth. And 10 isn't a striker's position.

kundalini

One thing i don't understand about Rooney is why is his touch so bad, i might be wrong but earlier in his career i recall he had a decent touch/technique, although not brilliant but good enough to play for an elite club like ours. It has got so bad that it is not literally embarrassing that he can't control a ball when he is pressed and more often than not he gives the ball away.

I fully accept he would lose his pace, power and that determination he had earlier in his career but losing your touch seems something unheard of for me.
An educated guess says that Rooney has always performed best on instinct. He came into the PL at a young age, tons of momentum, everything was great for ages, not much reason to question what he was doing. These last few seasons there has been lots of criticism, some of which he will have been aware of. When feeling under pressure his brain doesn't respond as well, hence the ball going under his foot several times against Iceland, and the basic errors we've seen at times this season.

The first time he wanted to leave the club, his form was absolutely shocking. Even after signing the new deal it took a while for it to recover. If his mind is stressed then his body seems to lose much of it's technical quality. After the first summer event for England when he was superb, he has tended to under-perform in major finals for England; another stressful situation for him.

Rooney certainly isn't the only player where this has happened. Lee Martin looked a really good player until he scored an own goal for us that I seem to recall cost us in a game. After that he never looked United standard. More recently, McNair and Blackett both did ok until the first error, after which their confidence collapsed and they no longer looked United standard players. Gary Neville's form went to pieces after two back-pass errors cost us goals in Brazil (?)

Footballers need to go onto the pitch with a clear head and sufficient resilience to cope with the occasional mistake. It is probably sensible for the manager to take players out of the team before the press starts writing articles about their terrible form.

Last edited:

Jay Pascal

On his current conversion rate, he'll need a contract extension to achieve it.
I hope he doesn't get it. The current holder IS a United legend.
I can't understand how a striker can take several months trying to score 3 goals starting every game.

Oneunited26

You've picked this season where most people agree it's coming to an end, an end that probably started end of fergie last last season.
How was he through the vast majority of his career? Outstanding, even under moyes at Everton when he was just 16 he was a talent.
I could pick any player and find their last season's where they weren't as good doesn't mean they weren't good in their prime!
I never questioned is whole career, just the past few years which is what matters, if someone give us the 2007 rooney model, would take him in a heart beat

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
To be honest, I'm not sure just how shit this Zorya team we are playing on Thursday are, but after defeat to Feyenoord, it is actually a must-win. I would not be surprised at all if Rooney starts as the number 9 and they deal with him comfortably.

It's sad to see it like this, but I wouldn't be surprised if Zlatan or Rashford need to be brought off the bench to get us through that one too.

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
To be honest, I'm not sure just how shit this Zorya team we are playing on Thursday are, but after defeat to Feyenoord, it is actually a must-win. I would not be surprised at all if Rooney starts as the number 9 and they deal with him comfortably.

It's sad to see it like this, but I wouldn't be surprised if Zlatan or Rashford need to be brought off the bench to get us through that one too.
This is my worry too. If he can handle the game and we win - great but it is a must win. I can see us winning this tournament.

jojose

The second time, when Chelsea were chasing him, Mourinho kept prompting him to come out publicly and say he wants to leave United, which he never did. The only real mistake he did for me were the original shenanigans pulled on the first contract renewal, since then he's actually showed the club a lot of respect.
Players want to leave all the time, DDG for example was ready to shoot off to Madrid 2 summers ago, Evra asked to leave twice according to Sir Alex etc. Does it hurt their status? I don't think so.

I think once the dust settles perhaps Rooney will be looked back on more fondly than he is jsut now. He's certainly a club legend anyway.
I have never really taken to him. I appreciated the player he was, but struggle to put him in the legend bracket when we have so many.

However, I do have some sympathy with him over those comments. We let Ronaldo and Tevez go and brought in Antonio Valencia. We did show a lack of ambition. He possibly didn't go about things the right way, but the sentiment of what he was saying was absolutely bang on. Id have a bit more respect for him if he'd been as open about the teams short falls and even his own performances over the last 2-3 years.

Anyway, he was dropped and Saturday performance vindicated the decision.

I have been waiting for us "to click" since LVG took over. Saturday we "clicked".

I though Watford was our rock bottom. I thought if Jose stuck with Rooney after that performance we'd go down the Liverpool route. However, with him out of the picture, or at least no longer un-droppable, I see us on an upward trajectory

SteveJ

all-round nice guy, aka Uncle Joe Kardashian
Scout
Football sage Garth Crooks lauds Wayne Rooney for fulfilling the terms of his contract:
Football365 said:
Roon for one more
Crooks was in fine form for Final Score for BBC Sport. He issued a staunch defence of Wayne Rooney. But what is it that impresses Crooks most about the Manchester United captain. His record? His raking 40-yard passes to the full-back? His ability to sit on the bench?

“He turns up every time – good, bad, or indifferent. And people look to him as a responsible player, and that’s what I like about him.”

He turns up. He. Turns. Up.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
I have never really taken to him. I appreciated the player he was, but struggle to put him in the legend bracket when we have so many.

However, I do have some sympathy with him over those comments. We let Ronaldo and Tevez go and brought in Antonio Valencia. We did show a lack of ambition. He possibly didn't go about things the right way, but the sentiment of what he was saying was absolutely bang on. Id have a bit more respect for him if he'd been as open about the teams short falls and even his own performances over the last 2-3 years.

Anyway, he was dropped and Saturday performance vindicated the decision.

I have been waiting for us "to click" since LVG took over. Saturday we "clicked".

I though Watford was our rock bottom. I thought if Jose stuck with Rooney after that performance we'd go down the Liverpool route. However, with him out of the picture, or at least no longer un-droppable, I see us on an upward trajectory
While I don't disagree that this was regression from a team perspective, this particular move was the best thing that happened to Rooney. Valencia was pretty much his personal servant, and created many goals for him, without having the ability or the ambition to do things independently like Ronaldo.

On the whole, I agreed with his sentiments at the time though. He said exactly what most of the caf and every United fan was afraid of too. Personally, I have no issue against his contract situations. He was doing right by himself, and we are absolutely loaded anyway, so why not?

I just have a problem with the fact that he's shit. In fact, I don't even have a problem with the fact he's shit - it happens, he's burnt out, and we can handle it, we have better players. He's entitled to lose it. My main problem has been with years of people talking about him as if nothing has changed, and how he's still 'the most important player' etc, and how 'he can play any position', and 'if I'm picking the team, I'll always have Wayne Rooney in it' etc. That is the shit that pissed me off. I didn't get angry when Giggs could no longer run past full backs. He's entitled, he's old. The difference was, everyone,including Giggs, realised it. There was no denial of it. We've had years of denial regarding Rooney.

jojose

While I don't disagree that this was regression from a team perspective, this particular move was the best thing that happened to Rooney. Valencia was pretty much his personal servant, and created many goals for him, without having the ability or the ambition to do things independently like Ronaldo.

On the whole, I agreed with his sentiments at the time though. He said exactly what most of the caf and every United fan was afraid of too. Personally, I have no issue against his contract situations. He was doing right by himself, and we are absolutely loaded anyway, so why not?

I just have a problem with the fact that he's shit. In fact, I don't even have a problem with the fact he's shit - it happens, he's burnt out, and we can handle it, we have better players. He's entitled to lose it. My main problem has been with years of people talking about him as if nothing has changed, and how he's still 'the most important player' etc, and how 'he can play any position', and 'if I'm picking the team, I'll always have Wayne Rooney in it' etc. That is the shit that pissed me off. I didn't get angry when Giggs could no longer run past full backs. He's entitled, he's old. The difference was, everyone,including Giggs, realised it. There was no denial of it. We've had years of denial regarding Rooney.
In hindsight, it was almost a self admission. "Look, im a good player but I am no Ronaldo, I need these players to take limelight and expectation off me".

Adebesi

Football sage Garth Crooks lauds Wayne Rooney for fulfilling the terms of his contract:
P. Neville was saying the same thing the other day. I think Mourinho needs to look into the problem of player truancy, it is clearly a much bigger problem than many of us realise. How many players could be pushing for the first team but arent because they dont bother turning up for training or games?

Minimalist

It is remarkable what happens when people see someone as their hero or one of their heros - as it must be with many on here who can't grasp that Rooney is genuinely finished.

Not the same scenario but I felt devastated (for a 14 year old boy) when we sold Beckham to Madrid - genuinely shocked me despite the events leading up to it. Years on, I'm just indifferent to seeing stars fade away from United.

I struggle to wrap my mind around how people can't just call it like it is. It's over. He's been a remarkable signing but every match he plays when he's stinking the place up, ruins the memory of his best moments.

POF

2004/05 11 goals 4 assits
29 games 17 goals
2005/06 16 goals 10 assits
26 goals 36 games
2006/07 14 goals 11 assist
25 goals 35 game
2007/08 12 goals 13 assist
25 goals 27 games
2008/09 12 goals 7 assists
17 goals from 30 games
2009/10 - 26 goals 3 assists
29 goals from 32 games
2010/11 - 11 goals 11 assists
22 goals in 28 games
2011/12 - 27 goals 4 assists
31 goals in 34 apps
2012/13 - 12 goals 10 assits
22 goals 27 apps
2013/14 (moyes) - 17 goals 10 assits
27 goals from 27 games

He's had a great career with us and more than contributed his fair share; these are just prem games
Agree. But in his best seasons personally the club was less successful. When there was another talisman in attack the team was more successful.

Due to his workrate and ability as an all rounder, he is better suited to not being the main man. Unfortunately, when that is his role, he sees it as "sacrificing himself for the team" when in fact it is playing to his strengths.

Gerrard was similar. He saw himself as the midfield general. His (and Liverpool's) best season was playing behind Torres with Alonso and Mascherano dictating things from midfield.

Handré1990

I disagree with both of you, respectfully of course. I felt he clearly challenged the one man who was synonymous with Manchester United throughout my entire lifetime, and I remember SAF's reaction to it when confronted by the media, he seemed genuinely hurt by it.

I remember an article in a Norwegian newspaper at the time Rooney got the new contract, where the gist of it was that SAF had lost his most important battle in recent years, and that Rooney had cemented his power and position within the club. Pretty sure the author was a United fan.

SteveJ

all-round nice guy, aka Uncle Joe Kardashian
Scout
Even if we disregard the totally obvious - and proven - view that Rooney only said those things to hide his real intentions, we simply can't have him acting like a manager would - Moyes revealed that Wayne "was always in his office, using DM's computer to pick out players he felt United should sign"; a bloody ridiculous situation which shows the weakness of Moyes and the entitlement of Rooney. Remember John Terry's attempted coup against Capello? Well, that kind of thing is what you get when senior players arrogantly assume they know best.

Status
Not open for further replies.