Rooney Dropped | Megathread closed

Status
Not open for further replies.

JB08

Searches for nude pics of Marcos Rojo
Do we think he'll play/start against Stoke?

Shark

@NotShark
I sincerely believe Savage is on the Rooney payrole, the Rooney camp are probably hoping for one last mega contract from China and for that he is needed to be thought of as better than he is.
The amount of mates Rooney has in the English media is exactly why Jose should have carried out exactly what Pep done with Hart and stamp out the spider before it gets the chance to lay more eggs. Instead he's given Rooney the impression he can do more damage to the club for another three seasons.

Sparky10Legend

The amount of mates Rooney has in the English media is exactly why Jose should have carried out exactly what Pep done with Hart and stamp out the spider brfore it lays more eggs. Instead he's given Rooney the impression he can do more damage to the club for another three seasons.

Agreed, lance the foul stenched boil and it can no longer stink the place up.

K2K

"Can Manchester United score? They always score"
I stand by this - think he'll start.

I'm not sure who he'll start in place of (Rashford, Mata, Martial), but Mourinho's weird answers on Rooney (protecting him etc) and the fecking relentless Rooney press machine make me even more confident he'll start at the weekend.

Hope I'm wrong, but after watching this play out for the last 3 years, you almost start to build up a kind of instinctive reading of the situation when it comes to Rooney's treatment.

Maybe because we're constantly reading between the lines and so much of what everyone says about him - journos, managers, pundits etc - is just complete and utter nonsense.

But yeah, he'll start on Sunday.
I think we have just convinced ourselves that Rooney is unstoppable.

So we are protecting ourselves from being hurt.
He's simply been dropped for the last two games and did himself no favours when he came on.

Jaxdan

Not this crap again.

I think Rooney not being in the team is best for the club I love.Evidence over 3 years has me convinced.Why should I support Rooney starting and not Mata for example?

You shouldn't if that's what you believe. I just want wins and good play, regardless of who is on the pitch. If it's Wayne I want him to do good, if it's Juan, Zlatan, Rash...hell even Rojo. But some have made it personal, where they actually want him to fail at the clubs peril, because they think it's best long term. That mind set is what I have a hard time understanding. I have my preferences, but no matter the starting XI I root for every one of them.

SirScholes

People get past the point of being angry and eventually it leads to acceptance, and they'll laugh about it instead. That's where we are with Rooney. He's been shit for so long that we expect him to muck everything up. It's best to laugh about it.
I think its poor support personally

Jaxdan

I've just seen Zlatan's goal. Do people really call that Rooney's scuffed shot an assist pass and give him credit for it? :lol:

He does get credit for it. Just like Martial did on Rooney's goal in the league opener. It wasn't his intention, but at least give him credit for being in the right place to provide it, and at least he didn't skull it over the frame for a goal kick like I've seen him and everyone else do more than once.

Jaxdan

Show me 3 years of Zlatan doing that.

Infact show me 3 games of zlatan being shit useless.

It's obviously somehow become 'personal' to you with Rooney, so it would be pointless on my part to continue. As I've said I root for anyone wearing the badge through good or bad. You actually think Rooney isn't trying ? I disagree. Others be-little even when good things happen with Rooney on the pitch. Nothing I say will change that, but as long as he's on my Club I will support him, as I have done others for nearly 40 years. If you don't that's your choice.

drdoityourself

When he got on I decided I wasn't gonna be annoyed by his performance. But the commentators make it so hard. Blowing smoke up his arse for no apparent reason. The goal was very well worked, the majority of good play came from Fosu-Mensah, and it was a very good header from Zlatan. The two of them barely got a mention after the goal. All about Rooney.
Mata's performance against Leicester is also brushed off.
The team as a whole will never get a fair coverage in the media until Rooney is gone. Other players will constantly get downplayed and scrutinized in benefit of Rooney.

K2K

"Can Manchester United score? They always score"
You shouldn't if that's what you believe. I just want wins and good play, regardless of who is on the pitch. If it's Wayne I want him to do good, if it's Juan, Zlatan, Rash...hell even Rojo. But some have made it personal, where they actually want him to fail at the clubs peril, because they think it's best long term. That mind set is what I have a hard time understanding. I have my preferences, but no matter the starting XI I root for every one of them.
From the evidence I just think depending on Rooney is a waste of time.
He's not very good anymore.The difference between this side and our great sides of the past is knowing when to move on players.Rooney's time is now.

I believe we should be trying to play our best teams all the time.Rooney at isnt part of that.

Jaxdan

When he got on I decided I wasn't gonna be annoyed by his performance. But the commentators make it so hard. Blowing smoke up his arse for no apparent reason. The goal was very well worked, the majority of good play came from Fosu-Mensah, and it was a very good header from Zlatan. The two of them barely got a mention after the goal. All about Rooney.
The team as a whole will never get a fair coverage in the media until Rooney is gone. Other players will constantly get downplayed and scrutinized in benefit of Rooney.
I obviously get different audio feeds/commentators than you guys do, because here that really wasn't the case. They called it a scruffed shot an unintentional assist, gave Zlatan the credit for being in the right place/right time and scoring the header. They did give Rooney credit for his positioning, which I think is fair, but not a whole lot more than that.

Devil may care

At this point all he is, is a huge distraction from what we need to be focused on, the commentators spent more time last night talking about whether he's going to come on than who was actually on and the media are on his jock every day, all he offers as a squad player is taking up a bench spot where we could have a good player.

Jaxdan

From the evidence I just think depending on Rooney is a waste of time.
He's not very good anymore.The difference between this side and our great sides of the past is knowing when to move on players.Rooney's time is now.

I believe we should be trying to play our best teams all the time.Rooney at isnt part of that.

Fair enough. No problem with that. And believe me I'm more in agreement with you than not. I think he has reached the point where he's best in a fill-in role. All I'm saying is if the manager puts him on the pitch I'm going to be rooting for him, that's all. I don't get the animosity. I think much of it stems from his performances with the English national team as well, poor play there, and the over familiarity now. Perhaps that's what I don't get, because that doesn't affect me across the pond here. :cool:

manunited1919

At this point all he is, is a huge distraction from what we need to be focused on, the commentators spent more time last night talking about whether he's going to come on than who was actually on and the media are on his jock every day, all he offers as a squad player is taking up a bench spot where we could have a good player.
This

Rhyme Animal

Thinks Di Zerbi is better than Pep.
The amount of mates Rooney has in the English media is exactly why Jose should have carried out exactly what Pep done with Hart and stamp out the spider before it gets the chance to lay more eggs. Instead he's given Rooney the impression he can do more damage to the club for another three seasons.
Totally agree with these posts, and last night the punditry was so biased towards Rooney, and so downright disrespectful to Mata it really bothered me.

How can you want what's best for the club if you're spouting the garbage that Scholes was last night...?

It's sad. And it's at the point where legacies are genuinely being tarnished by this nonsense - and I don't just mean Rooney's.

RoadTrip

petitioned for a just cause
Very true. And the thing that pisses me off is that Ferguson, albeit in a "read between the lines" type way, had essentially set it up/put it on a plate for him to be sold.

Piratesoup

Supports
Bayern München
Sadly, you're most probably correct. It's like the shit articles posted, with zero links or inside sources. Made up and plucked from thin air. Nice jobs they have.
I interned at the sport's section of a big german yellow press paper, and while they do milk every quote or piece of info they get for maximum emotional impact and sensationalism, they never actually lied or made things up as far as I could tell. It's just the way this branch of the press works.

sosolid4u09

if I'm honest, i am not rooting for Wayne rooney when he plays.

because if he has a great couple of games, we KNOW he will go back to being rubbish... but because of those games he will go back to being undroppable for a year. so him doing well is bad for the club in the medium and long term. so why would i root for that? i love our club.

not to mention him doing well pushes far younger and better players to the fringes and possibly makes them want to leave. so again, why would i want that?

if it was anyone else, i agree, i root for them completely when they're on. but rooney has too much drama too much power that he needs to just leave now for the betterment of the club

manunited1919

Gary Neville:
"Everyone wanted to blame Rooney. Let’s look at the rest [of the team] and see if they’re good enough to win the league. That is the big issue here"

http://www.thesportreview.com/tsr/2...-jose-mourinhos-big-issue-as-man-utd-manager/

Neville raises some interesting questions here, about what is the best team when Rooney is not playing. So there are other problems in MUFC besides Rooney, as was to be expected.

But when Rooney plays he distorts our team and tactics so much that it becomes difficult to see why Pogba, Martial, Zlatan, Mata, or Rashford are not performing well. I just hope Jose has seen enough of Rooney to understand that even though there are other problems in the team, Rooney starting is a backwards step.

Bobcat

Behind the curtains, leering at the neighbors
That's disingenuous, because you know there is a lot more behind the current predicament. Everyone here wants what is best for the club, which means we can't afford passengers. Also, consider the following:

1) His contract shenanigans
2) Hes been poor for a long time now, so it's not form, it's his current level, and it's simply not good enough
3) Not really his fault, but under Van Gaal he was undroppable, which was just infuriating
4) All the arse licking and pampering from pundits and media has causes a reaction in the fans. It's just ridiculous
5) Everyone reaches the end of their career at some point. Giggs and Scholes are also United legends, and they accepted a diminished role when they got older. Why should not the same apply for Rooney? Also, the two former never performed as badly as Rooney has done lately

I don't hate him, hes been a magnificent player for us, but we need to be realistic here. Hes done as a top player and both for the clubs sake and his own, he should not be a regular starter anymore

manunited1919

Playing with Rooney on the team is like driving at night with a windshield full of mud and withought any lights...you can't see where you're going.

shaggy

Prefers blue over red, loathed by Spurs fans
In all honesty he's incredibly lucky to be making sub appearances. Should be talked about in the same breath as Darmian, Rojo, Depay.

Jaxdan

That's disingenuous, because you know there is a lot more behind the current predicament. Everyone here wants what is best for the club, which means we can't afford passengers. Also, consider the following:

1) His contract shenanigans
2) Hes been poor for a long time now, so it's not form, it's his current level, and it's simply not good enough
3) Not really his fault, but under Van Gaal he was undroppable, which was just infuriating
4) All the arse licking and pampering from pundits and media has causes a reaction in the fans. It's just ridiculous
5) Everyone reaches the end of their career at some point. Giggs and Scholes are also United legends, and they accepted a diminished role when they got older. Why should not the same apply for Rooney? Also, the two former never performed as badly as Rooney has done lately

I don't hate him, hes been a magnificent player for us, but we need to be realistic here. Hes done as a top player and both for the clubs sake and his own, he should not be a regular starter anymore

That is fine, and you are bringing common sense to the table. I can see all the arguments you list as valid. But I said 'some'. And if you haven't seen anything as I describe then you aren't paying close attention, or never go on Twitter. Some of what I see, is borderline 'hate'. I'm not speaking of you or in particular anyone else, but it's out there by supposed fans of the Club.

pixel

Gary Neville:
"Everyone wanted to blame Rooney. Let’s look at the rest [of the team] and see if they’re good enough to win the league. That is the big issue here"

http://www.thesportreview.com/tsr/2...-jose-mourinhos-big-issue-as-man-utd-manager/

Neville raises some interesting questions here, about what is the best team when Rooney is not playing. So there are other problems in MUFC besides Rooney, as was to be expected.

But when Rooney plays he distorts our team and tactics so much that it becomes difficult to see why Pogba, Martial, Zlatan, Mata, or Rashford are not performing well. I just hope Jose has seen enough of Rooney to understand that even though there are other problems in the team, Rooney starting is a backwards step.
Yeah. Everyone wanted Rooney out (including me). He didn't play yday and yet we were dire. I'm not saying we would have been better with him in the team, we would have been just as bad if not worse. But I've a horrible feeling that the Leicester game was a flash in the pan.

Gazza

That is fine, and you are bringing common sense to the table. I can see all the arguments you list as valid. But I said 'some'. And if you haven't seen anything as I describe then you aren't paying close attention, or never go on Twitter. Some of what I see, is borderline 'hate'. I'm not speaking of you or in particular anyone else, but it's out there by supposed fans of the Club.
Don't read idiots on Twitter then, I mean this is basic human law - Twitter is full of all types of people and if you're precious about Wayne Rooney, it's probably a mistake to go searching his name on Twitter looking for positive comments right now

Just like all the others who have used your "hate" argument in this thread, you're never really able to back that up with specific examples from the Caf, it's always disconnected people somewhere out there on the internet who are saying all these apparently spiteful things about Rooney. Seems to me like you should limit your focus to the posts on the Caf, as none of us know what you're seeing on Twitter and none of us have any control over that. Suggestion, like.

Gazza

Yeah. Everyone wanted Rooney out (including me). He didn't play yday and yet we were dire. I'm not saying we would have been better with him in the team, we would have been just as bad if not worse. But I've a horrible feeling that the Leicester game was a flash in the pan.
I mean, isn't that the whole point? Again, very few people are saying that Rooney is the sole problem, but the highlighted bit of your post is pretty much all that needs saying.

criticalanalysis

I have no problem with that. Passion in the heat of the moment. Is he supposed to be happy? He didn't make obscene gestures or anything, or even engage them. Big whoop.
The problem you have with other's 'hate' or 'not supporting regardless' is context.

In the context of this video, England and Rooney himself was massively disappointing. Not in an heroic, gave it their all and came up short bad but just plain baddddddddd.

On a wider level, that's just England, on an individual level, it's on Rooney; he's consistently under performed. We're not talking about lack of goals, assists or any of that important stuff, we're talking about just performing generally.

That's the same with Rooney at club level. We support Utd ultimately and then players after that. We can be 'positive' in the face of adversity and give 'benefit of the doubt' but Rooney's doubt has come after years and years of mediocrity. The constant criticism is harsh but completely justified; he has no redeeming qualities for a player of his stature to be playing for a club like Utd.

This isn't like Fellani, who does give it his all on the pitch and gets both justified and unjustfied (imo) criticism. We know he's a limited player and he's become bit of a scapegoat but at the very least he isn't a mainstay that gets bewildering constant media support AND plays every game regardless of form.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
Gary Neville:

It's a completely retarded article.

Are Man United good enough to win the league without Rooney? is not the question at all. That implies that if the answer to that is no, Rooney should play.

The real question is: Is Rooney better than the other options?

6: Herrera, Carrick, Pogba, Schneiderlin
8: Pogba, Herrera, Schneiderlin, Fellaini
10: Mata, Pogba, Mkhitaryan, Rooney
9: Zlatan, Rashford, Martial, Rooney
Wide: Martial, Rashford, Mkhitaryan, Lingard

At best he's our 4th choice 10 or 9. In every other position we have 4 players that should play ahead of him.

That's 11 players to choose ahead of him for 6 positions. There is so many combinations of players to try before Rooney comes into the equation not to mention the fact that any combination that we do try should be given a proper run before it is discarded as "not working".

Minimalist

It so intellectually lazy to blame Rooney for everything but it's just as lazy to say, "well what about the rest of team? We didn't play like Barcelona without him so it can't be Rooney at fault!".

It's somewhere in between but he's a massive person, player, ego and he's occupying a key position on the pitch when plays. That position has a massive influence over our play and if whoever occupies it is having a stinker, it's reflected in the play.

Status
Not open for further replies.