Rooney - Foul or dive ?

noodlehair

"It's like..."
Didn't think it needed to be a yelow card, but thought Rooney's reaction to the bitching was hilarious considering Bayern players had twiced tried to bully the ref into sending off Valencia. Valencia's yellow card also came from a foul where he tackled the air andmissed the player.

marjen

Desperately wants to be like Noodle
To be fair, if Schweinsteiger decides to act the idiot and go in on a ball which Rooney's only going to kick straight back to a Bayern player, shame on him for getting himself sent off. He was too late and can have no complaints.

Similar to Vidic vs Sturridge against Liverpool really. Stupid, stupid decision.

Wowi

Rød grød med fløde
It was a second yellow, as it was to Valencia. And by the way, why does the Martinez/Chicha isn't being discussed? Chicha was practically the last man, theoretically it should have been a red.
The Hernandez incident isn't being discussed because it was clearly the right decision. "Last man" doesn't matter, Bayern had plenty of other defenders coming back and it was very far out. No way it was a goal-scoring opportunity.

DanNistelrooy

Lineup Prediction & Last Man Standing winner 2017
100% a foul. Debatable yellow card. No contact yes -but Rooney had to jump out of the way of his challenge

DanNistelrooy

Lineup Prediction & Last Man Standing winner 2017
There was contact though. Rooney made his fall theatrical yes but definitely contact, definitely a foul. Yellow? Maybe.
Okay fair enough, either way anyone saying that is not a foul needs to watch more football. Yellow maybe harsh but it was a European ref after all

fishfingers15

Contributes to username and tagline changes
A minute earlier, Rooney was dispossessed off the ball and Bayern set on a counter attack. It was clearly a foul as Mandukic I think pushed Rooney away and he got nothing and charged back to win back the ball. He just made sure he went down to get the foul. Yes, you can all thank me for making this brilliant observation. Lolzy

SER19

bizarre that this gets a thread. if it was buttner for example, nobody would even be talking about it.

stupid foul by schweinsteiger and given what weve seen red for in europe through the years it was dead right. 91st minute too. no significance on this game.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
When I saw this thread, I thought it was for that thing Rooney sometimes does where he gets caught a bit in possession with a guy running alongside him and so falls theatrically to the ground, and then inevitably mouths off at the Ref when he doesn't get a free kick.

He did that about 30 seconds before the incident this thread is actually talking about... which wasn't a dive.

Shamwow

listens to shit music & watches Mrs Brown's Boys
A minute earlier, Rooney was dispossessed off the ball and Bayern set on a counter attack. It was clearly a foul as Mandukic I think pushed Rooney away and he got nothing and charged back to win back the ball. He just made sure he went down to get the foul. Yes, you can all thank me for making this brilliant observation. Lolzy
Thank you that is a brilliant observation.

Dominos

I'm not a fan of Neville's "if you stick a leg out it's a foul" policy but it was an obvious free kick. He had to jump over him to avoid the challenge, hence hindering him from getting to the ball. Clear yellow.

Dominos

To be fair, if Schweinsteiger decides to act the idiot and go in on a ball which Rooney's only going to kick straight back to a Bayern player, shame on him for getting himself sent off. He was too late and can have no complaints.

Similar to Vidic vs Sturridge against Liverpool really. Stupid, stupid decision.
I don't think it was that similar. Vidic was nowhere near Sturridge, he didn't jump to avoid the contact, he threw himself to the ground to appear he'd been impeded. Rooney was either going to be brought down through the contact or jump to avoid the contact hence stopping him from retrieving the ball.

Walters_19_MuFc

Rooney probably made a meal of it, but there was clear contact, resulting in him going down. Schweinsteiger shouldn't have dived in on a yellow anyway.

Baxter

Surely this isn't even up for debate? It's a clear foul and he's so late it has to be a booking. Rooney makes the absolute most of it but every single time that would be given as a foul.

I didn't hear much complaining when Buttner did the same to Albrighton against Villa who jumped a couple of feet over him getting Buttner a booking.

When you go in like that I don't think you can complain.

Gannicus

Hall of Fame stupid thread.

Rooney was fouled. But did he make a meal of it? Of course. When you're fouled, you're fouled and you're allowed to go down.

What's despicable is when players surround a ref waving an imaginary card to try to get a player sent off, which is a hallmark of footballers who play for Pep. We saw that Bayern again tonight.

MDFC Manager

When he got the red, did anyone else think "Here's payback for Rafael's red from all those years back, you cnuts"? Obviously, very different circumstances but that did feel a bit good.

Mrs Smoker

Supports
Panthère du Ndé
Maybe so, but better training, more officials, utilizing technology, post match punishment, etc. How much longer do we have to watch incredibly coordinated individuals flop around like blindfolded pole vaulters?
Well, probably until stuff in your first sentence come about.

Until then, I'd like to see more and more of outrageous dives. When we get flooded with them, maybe then powers that be will do something about them.

NK86

Funny how feigning injury suddenly isn't such a big deal when it's one of your own. :smirk:
They deserved it for crowding the ref everytime we made a tackle and their players acting as if they had been cut down my a machete.

coolredwine

lameredboots
They deserved it for crowding the ref everytime we made a tackle and their players acting as if they had been cut down my a machete.
I am wondering how that is a feature of all of Pep's sides. First Barcelona, and now Bayern. :rolleyes:

NK86

I am wondering how that is a feature of all of Pep's sides. First Barcelona, and now Bayern. :rolleyes:
I felt the same while watching the game. The biggest offender was Ribery who felt the most aggrieved as if someone had snatched his lunch money.

Carl

has permanently erect nipples
At least when Bastian went in our players didn't surround the referee like a bunch of twats.

Freak

Born a freak always a freak.
It was a dive. It was funny because the 2 times rooney decided to drop deep, he lost the ball which shows why he shouldn't be a number 10. He's a striker and should always be played as one.

paceme

Golly Gilmore
“What’s the matter, lager boy, scared you might ta
My favorite German player but, idiotic by him. Thankfully for them it was right at the death.

They won't miss him or Martinzez in the second leg though. They'll just start with Goetze and Kroos - with Kroos sitting more as we'll surrender even more possession there.
Goetze was getting bullied off the ball easily when he came on. Considering how physical the game was they will miss both players a lot.

Godfather

He made a meal of it but didnt dive. There was definite contact and it was a yellow all day long. Serves them right .

Dans

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
He made a meal of it but didnt dive. There was definite contact and it was a yellow all day long. Serves them right .
Agree. Overly theatrical, but when you've got Robben doing that and worse every week, you can't complain.