Rooney - Foul or dive ?

arthurka

Obvious jump over Piggy, there's no arguing that. Rash challenge from him though, not sure what he was thinking. Probably earned the yellow due to it stopping a potential counter-attack from Rooney...If I saw that I would've probably called it a foul.
Schweini´s reactions tell all.. He knew what was coming!
You all can clearly see Rooney flick the ball to the right before Schweini "got him"

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself
Thought so. Just out of curiosity, what can be appealed card-wise in the CL?
Only if a card is given to a wrong player, if I'm not wrong. Like what happened in the Arsenal/Chelsea match where instead of Ox, Gibbs was sent off.

dmode

He dived, but like Keano said he would have been tackled if he didn't jump so it would have been a clear foul anyway... makes Bayern pay for provoking Rafael's red card too. :devil:

And also... Nani's red card against Real... glad to see the balance getting right.

I'd say nice play from Rooney :)

Kaos

Feck em, still haven't forgiven them for their antics in getting Rafael sent off a few years ago. What comes round.

Pep needs to shut up too, the audacity of him to complain about diving when his last team could probably win gold in the Olympics men's diving, whereas his current team has Ribery and Robben in their ranks.

coolredwine

lameredboots
He dived, but like Keano said he would have been tackled if he didn't jump so it would have been a clear foul anyway... makes Bayern pay for provoking Rafael's red card too. :devil:

And also... Nani's red card against Real... glad to see the balance getting right.

I'd say nice play from Rooney :)
Still not balanced, technically. We need him to get Lahm sent off in the 2nd leg for it to be balanced. :wenger:

Adebesi

Also pretty funny to see Guardiola whine about diving, glass fecking houses
A million times this.

And as everyone is saying, it was definitely a foul anyway, so Rooney (maybe) got him booked with his theatrics but this is the reality of European football. Schweinsteiger missing out on the second leg is a massive boost for us, Rooney did us a massive favour there.

OnlyTwoDaSilvas

Gullible
I don't know if I'm seeing the gif wrong. The slow-mo on telly made it look clear that Rooney got a toe to the ball first, but that gif makes it look like Schweinsteiger got the ball first. It's a tight call.

Raulduke

I don't know if I'm seeing the gif wrong. The slow-mo on telly made it look clear that Rooney got a toe to the ball first, but that gif makes it look like Schweinsteiger got the ball first. It's a tight call.
Really, the GIF clearly shows Rooney played the ball :confused:

strongwalker

Supports
FC Bayern München
every one who played himself the game knows the difference between a clear foul, where the fouled player has no chance to avoid getting brought down, and those incidents where a tackling player happens to end up on the ground close to an opponent and the opponent *could* avoid the contact but doesn't. Happens all the time, most time it is quite obvious and i'm surprised good refs still fall for that kind of thing. Rooneys fall was of the latter kind.
It happens all the time, most players do it.
It is just funny and hypocritical when players from teams (or nations) who are lightning quick at fingerpointing at other teams players or whole countries for being "divers" do the exact same.

Bilbo

TeaBaggins
This really shouldn't be up for debate at all. Clearly wasn't a dive, and an obvious second yellow. The Valencia decision can be debated all day long, but not this one surely.

OnlyTwoDaSilvas

Gullible
i dont think it shows anything clearly at all to be fair, it is quite inconclusive but if anything i agree with you, I thought Rooney played the ball first last night but looking at that gif Im starting to doubt it.
Seeing the gif again on a computer screen, I still don't think it is conclusive either, though I don't doubt it, as the TV slow-mo at a different angle looked alot clearer. I think it's just the angle, but from the gif angle, it looks like both Rooney's and Schweinsteigers foot get there at the same time.

It's odd that every corner of the internet is erupting over the Rooney "dive", but nobody is mentioning Lahm doing something very similar to get Valencia booked. If you lunge in and impede a players stride, players are going to use it against you. Just don't do it.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Rooney needs to cut out the backwards tilt of the head more than the diving. 0/10.

Man Utd Mrs

We all love our MUM
Seems pointless saying whether it should or should not have been a yellow card when it's already been given and he's not playing, though.

Quality reaction. :lol:

The idea of Bayern moaning about diving when they field Arjen Robben is quite possibly the death of irony.
Absolutely.
I started watching the game thinking that Robben would dive and get one of our players sent off.

Welsh Wonder

A dribbling mess on the sauce
Impeding someone's momentum is still a foul, regardless of Rooney's theatrics. It comes back to referees not taking any action when the player stays on his feet in this scenario, which leads to the need to go down.

fishfingers15

Contributes to username and tagline changes
Absolutely. The question of who touched the ball is interesting enough to pass the time but the bottom line is if you make tackles like that in Europe you are asking for trouble.
The angle from behind the ball is confusing. If you look at the regular footage, it's clear that Rooney gets the ball and Schweinsteiger follows through. Like I said before in this post, in the previous minute, Rooney was pushed off the ball by Mandukic and no foul was given. Rooney starts to protest at the referee, but runs back to claim the ball, when he does, he gets tackled and makes sure he goes down. Tough luck Schweinsteiger.

bugmat

Milked it the same way Bayern did when trying to get Valencia sent off. What goes around comes around!
This - Lahm did a few barrel rolls first half to get Valencia booked before being suddenly 100% OK. It was only fair play that Rooney did his Platoon impersonation for Schweinsteiger :lol:

Eugenius

:lol: How is this a thread. He avoided dangerous contact by jumping over him. If he hadn't "dived", Schweingsteiger would have ploughed through him and have been sent off anyway.

Serves the Bayern players right, trying to get Valencia sent off

Danny1982

Sectarian Hipster
For me it's a clear yellow. Rash challenge, whether he makes contact or not.

Bayern have a better case arguing a red for Valencia.

bugmat

It was no red card tbh. If you give Schweini a red card, you have to give it to Valencia too.
Valencia didn't even deserve to be on a yellow as his trailing leg barely touched Lahm - Lahm sold that first half with a lot of crying while his team mates gang-banged the ref..just like Rooney made sure Schweinie got his 2nd - karma really.

redevil2

By the way the thread subject is misleading. "Rooney, dive or foul" is a better title for discussion

PedroMendez

Acolyte
The only reason why anyone would ever complain about this yellow card is, because Valencia was allowed to stay on the pitch after jumping into a sliding tackle, not hitting the ball, but Boateng.
Rooney got the ball first. His "jump/dive" is absolutely is absolutely okay, because he has all the right in the world to protect himself. If he doesnt go down, Schweinsteiger is clipping him and he risks to get injured. Almost every player in the world would do the same. As bayern fan i cant complain about diving anyway. We have enough player, that are going down way to easy.

That said, there would be a media shit-storm in britain, if the situation would have been the other way around. It was pretty refreshing, that one of the TV-hosts said exactly this to keane.

BD

technologically challenged barbie doll
Is it just me or is this very similar to Sturridge-Vidic a few weeks back, with everyone bar a few nuttes labelling that a dive by Sturridge? Rooney dived imo. I dont see the point in it either since if he just kept running he wouldve been harmlessly tripped by Schweinsteiger and not had all the reactions since.

Engine Room

The tongue in cheek OP was brilliantly done. Well played - caught a lot of 'serious' people in here with that one. :lol:. It's a silly nothing challenge on a yellow card and can have no complaints. The old cliche of "if he'd have not avoided it he'd have gone straight through him".

It's been said in here 'if he doesn't play up the contact then he gets nothing, it happens in Europe' and that is exactly right. It's a stupid challenge in the end and off you trot my son. Tell it to the walls of the dressing room.

KeninDC

Rest in Peace
Sort of looked like Chris Ashton going in for a try. Still a foul-the East German judge gave Rooney a 4.0.

Sam

It was a bit of both really. It was a foul (but not a yellow card offense imo) but Rooney clearly made the most of it.

Ref should have just had a word, rather then sending him off.

Kakeru

Very close call TBH, but certainly not worth a yellow card. For some reason, I see this as strange karma for the bizarre sending off Rafael got in 2010.