Rooney responds.

dichinero

Everyone used to say that we United fans have it in for Wayne Rooney but truth is he isn't a very like-able lad. He does come across quite self-centered (partly because media hyped him up).

1. 2008 - United had many world class players like Ronaldo and Tevez so often Wayne had to sacrifice his status as the main man. We were very successful but the feeling was Wayne was being suppressed and not allowed to flourish as he could for England. Again it was a great decision as Ronaldo was different class.
2.Wayne was given his chance to be the main man and in 2011, yet started the season in terrible form. He then handed in transfer request because "he wanted us to buy Ozil" and we lacked the ambition to buy world class players to support him. Sir Alex offered him a bumper new contract. Wayne ended the season with 16 goals all comps, Berbatov netted 20 league goals and we went on as league winners and CL finalists
3. After losing the league to City on goal difference Sir Alex signed the previous seasons top scorer RVP. RVP swiftly displaced Rooney as main striker, scored vital goals when we were playing shit. Again Wayne was moved around to accommodate this "world class player" which resulted in him eventually being on the benched for key games due to his poor form and RVPs electric goalscoring. At some point, Wayne suggested he should move on and United won the league.

Seems Wayne wants us to sign world class players, EXCEPT in his position (so they don't compete with his place as he MUST play irrespective of performances) a case of wanted to retain his cake and eat it. He wants to be the main man whilst playing with world class players who are better than him. Basically occupy a Cristiano or Messi esque role except he never was as good as them and there are teammates who can upstage him. He hasn't hit 20 league goals in his last 4 seasons and players like Nani and Valencia have been voted players player of the year ahead of him.

Fast forward to today where Wayne is now one of the least effective attackers in the league. He regularly tells us he has nothing to prove (he was great so must play irrespective of performances) and that he doesn't listen to the haterz. There was a period under Van Gaal where he had scored something like 4 league goals in 10 months in 2016. The 1st half of 2016 he had 2 in 17 league games there about, hit some form in new year, got injured and now he has 2 in his last 16. Is this a problem for Wayne? nooo sir, no problem as he doesn't need to perform regularly. he just needs to be on the pitch. He is a captain that has ZERO accountability for his performances which for me is a shit captain.

Players like Wayne are soooo pampered by the media that they cannot accept the slightest criticism and rather than hold his hand up and say " I haven't been at my best" they just go on the defensive. You saw it with Terry when Savage was "diggin him out." It isn't very endearing to fans and doesn't inspire us with confidence when a player cannot see his decline, thinks he is doing enough when he has been shit. It makes them seem delusional, dishonest and shows low standards. Gerrard has similar attitudes. I am interested to see whether it is the same in other countries. I know tennis players tend to admit when they haven't played well
He is Selfish, Arrogant and Deluded (S.A.D)

Dobbs

Well, I'm not just talking about the Caf - this isn't the be all and end all of talking/discussing United. As my first sentence said 'it's all a question of balance'....
Well if you're talking about social media then I think it's a good idea to point that out. But a lack of balance on twitter and Facebook can hardly come as a surprise. Paul Hollywood has been called a "Greedy rat" this morning for presenting a baking show.

With regards to the Caf there really is no need to point out that its a question of balance. Except for a a very small number most posters accept what a great player he's been, that dropping him won't solve everything etc etc.

Unfortunately there's a handful of posters who want to distort this truth.

NJM78

I'm done with Rooney to be fair as he cant even straight up admit he has been poor, his ego is the only thing impressive about him these days. This club will never be back winning the league or going far in the CL with players like Rooney, Fellaini, Valencia etc starting for us and players like Young and Rojo being in reserve. I'm happy to write this season off again because surely Jose will realise by the end of it you cannot turn shit into gold no matter how good you are or think you are as a manager.

Simply Rooney has to be gone by the start of next season and hopefully along with the other players mentioned. I would even add Mata, Depay, Darmian and Jones to that list.

Then Jose can build a successful first team team around Rashford, Martial, Pogba, Mkhitaryan, Bailly, Fosu Mensah, Shaw and De Gea, add some real quality and then have a strong substitute bench including Blind, Smalling, Herrera, Zlatan(?), Januzaj, Pereira etc to call upon.

Rooney can fecking do one as far as I am concerned and I hope he doesn't beat Sir Bobs record as much of a cnut that makes me sound.

Mick1

He should have stayed quiet imo. He would have been silently dominating his critics

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
That's a fair point. But he would have been better off remaining silent and not doing any press.
Agreed. Our PR policy in recent years seems quite aggressive. Anything negative is immediately countered with a load of positive pieces blatantly briefed by the club. This is more of the same IMO. I'm not a fan of this approach at all.

POF

Regardless of what happens with him, if his career is coming to an end, hes been an exceptional player for us. One of the best Ive seen in a United shirt.

The romantic in me wants to see him rediscover his form but the realist knows he wont. Not for a sustained period anyway.

Best thing for him now is to limit his game time so that he can be effective in select matches instead of every starting 11.
I totally agree with the last paragraph but it will never happen. Scholes and Giggs played the role really well but they were humble enough to accept a lesser role in the squad.

Rooney is far too arrogant to accept a limited role.

Manny

Grammar Police
The lid has blown off and it's been coming for a long long time. If he starts playing well again which would be a mini miracle, I'm sure most will cut him some slack.
Not me. Not this time. I was already getting fecked of at him being able to escape any criticism because he could hit a patch of form for six games. It might have been enough then but it shouldn't be enough now.

Oh dear, we are gonna let city run away with it coz we want to be gentle and propitiate this undeserving twat. Do we have any ambition? feck off ogre. Move your swamp to China. Thief.

Seriously, i thought Mourinho would have a spine.
Its bollocks like this that gets the backs up of the Rooney disciples.

Revan

Assumptionman
Have patience lads. Even if he does start, the scrutiny will be intense. If he doesn't improve quickly the situation will soon become untenable.

The most important thing is that issue is now out in the open. Things should come to a head more quickly now.
We have been saying that for the last 15 months (when he has been absolute dogshit), while in the three years before it he was just average/okay.

His performances aren't going to ever improve, in fact, they are going to just become worse. If we don't drop him for Leicester, then really there is something more than 'Mourinho thinks he is good' and/or 'Mourinho is in fear of a mutiny from the dressing room'. It is literally like playing that Weah's cousin (who actually wasn't his cousin at all), for 90 minutes, each match.

JoaquinJoaquin

Agreed. Our PR policy in recent years seems quite aggressive. Anything negative is immediately countered with a load of positive pieces blatantly briefed by the club. This is more of the same IMO. I'm not a fan of this approach at all.
Rooney's PR team are very poor considering the high % he probably pays them. Just look at the transfer request scenarios and the recent leaks that were seemingly from his camp. Now he does this when the fans regard of him is at it's very lowest, Makes him come across as the d1ckhead he probably is.

Joga Bonito

The Art of Football
Sorry Pogue but it is an incredibly poor post and I am not surprised you are supporting it because you have been totally off the mark when it comes to Rooney for years. Just when it seemed you were regaining some credibility and seeing the wood for the trees on this issue, it seems you're back on the Rooney bandwagon.

How can any self-respecting 'UNITED' fan.. yes United, the team that you are meant to fecking support be on this guys side and buy such a horseshit interview. He is milking this club for all that he can, he couldn't give two flying fecks about the club.. he has zero love for the club, he just wants his money to keep coming in and his legacy secured, which in turn will secure further financial investments. He has no pride in his performance and does not deserve another second on the pitch.

No we do not love a scapegoat, he's fecking shite and has held the club back for years. I have been making thread after thread, pointing this out to all of you and the majority thought I was some sort of idiot with an agenda.. I am not, I love this club and I can't stand it for being taken like a mug by a fat bastard who is way past his best and has no right to play for a premier league club let alone the greatest club in england and one of the greatest in the world alongside the Barca's, Real and Bayerns of this world. He has undermined successive mangement regimes not only with his lack of performances on the pitch but his blinding performances off the pitch through the media.. putting unnecessary pressure on managers ensuring his position remained protected and his endorsements were not at risk.

Turning it around, are you guys seriously deluded?? he hasn't turned it around in three years. He is a busted flush. Can he contribute as a squad player, yes of course he can but does he give a shite about being part of the team and taking a back seat .. no of course he doesn't. Lets see what a great character he is going forwards once he is benched, lets see how nicely he plays the elder squaddie role because mark my words.. this guy is going to show everyone what a true cnut he really is and the 'leaks' were just the beginning.

Pogue you need to wake up and smell the coffee mate, because typical Rooney that he is... will come out with shit interviews like this, strike a few lucky goals in a run of games and all of a sudden you'll be saying how he has proven himself again when the reality is he'll stink up the place for another 3 months after it. Seriously sick and tired of how dumb fans can be on this issue especially posters that have way more sense than they are showing on this particular issue.

You're not Phil Neville, you're better than that.
Ouch :lol:

montpelier

tbf, he can hardly go into training as Captain having said ''I'm playing like a drain & we're losing because of it'' can he?

Jose is clearly trying to play him into form, the next option does have to be resting him for a bit. He operates from the bench as a late game replacement for Zlatan is my guess for the near future.

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
Something is clearly bubbling up behind the scenes. Way too many counter Jose articles since the weekend shifting the blame on the manager and making out like he is the one who is under threat and losing the plot.

I wouldn't be surprised if Rooney does start this weekend, but his days are very close to being numbered.. he's acting desperate at the moment. Damage limitation going on from the Rooney camp trying to position himself as a hard working player merely going through a slump who has the full backing of the manager.

If he is still a first team player by November I will be extremely shocked. In fact if he is a first team player midway through October I will also be shocked.

djembatheking

The only person that can sort this out is Jose . It is time for him to manage Rooney . In the past Fergie had similar man management problems and he dealt with it , it was obviously easier as he had been at the club longer and was never doubted in his decisions . Scholes and Giggs were managed in their latter years which was easier to do cos they were united through and through and just wanted what was best for the club . Gary Neville again loved the club and made the decision himself when he knew his performances were letting his club down . With Keano , Beckham and Van Nistelrooy it wasn`t so easy but again Fergie managed it and United kept winning . It is time for Jose to deal with this and the outcome is down to Rooney , he either accepts it or not . Whichever way it goes Jose has to live or die by his management decisions . I would love to see a solution where Rooney could still play a limited role at the club and leave on a good note as he has been a great player for us over the years and a key part of our success but unfortunately I can`t really see it happening and is more likely to end on a sour note in the way Keanos exit did . Needs sorting quickly though as if it is left too late our season will be fecked .

wr8_utd

:'(
For those who think this interview was some of PR exercise, I really don't think so. I get notifcations everytime the United handle tweets and they'd been sending tweets about this interview for a while now. It's not something that just came up post the Leciester game.

montpelier

Does Rooney really have 3 years left on this often-quoted-as-being £ 300, 000 a week deal? And say he doesn't want to leave or take up coaching, I can't even see how he can be sensibly paid off. The figures involved are horrendous, even for the Utd balance sheet. A loan to Celtic or Everton and 'we' pay most of the salary. Same situation for Schweinsteiger, all they have to do to meet the terms of contract is turn up to training, be available, wander through a few reserve games that is embarrassing for everybody if the club is trying to cheese them off.

I'm almost hoping he finds some kind of form, situation could get very horrible. Quite soon, nothing says we can beat/draw vs. Leics if performance is at the Watford-Feyernoord level.

Gianni

I really hope some rich foreign club signs him in January. He is simply not worth all the money the club's paying him IMO. It's time to red rid.

dichinero

For those who think this interview was some of PR exercise, I really don't think so. I get notifcations everytime the United handle tweets and they'd been sending tweets about this interview for a while now. It's not something that just came up post the Leciester game.
So he's been preparing his comments knowing that he is getting worse with each passing game?

markhrad

Everyone used to say that we United fans have it in for Wayne Rooney but truth is he isn't a very like-able lad. He does come across quite self-centered (partly because media hyped him up).

1. 2008 - United had many world class players like Ronaldo and Tevez so often Wayne had to sacrifice his status as the main man. We were very successful but the feeling was Wayne was being suppressed and not allowed to flourish as he could for England. Again it was a great decision as Ronaldo was different class.
2.Wayne was given his chance to be the main man and in 2011, yet started the season in terrible form. He then handed in transfer request because "he wanted us to buy Ozil" and we lacked the ambition to buy world class players to support him. Sir Alex offered him a bumper new contract. Wayne ended the season with 16 goals all comps, Berbatov netted 20 league goals and we went on as league winners and CL finalists
3. After losing the league to City on goal difference Sir Alex signed the previous seasons top scorer RVP. RVP swiftly displaced Rooney as main striker, scored vital goals when we were playing shit. Again Wayne was moved around to accommodate this "world class player" which resulted in him eventually being on the benched for key games due to his poor form and RVPs electric goalscoring. At some point, Wayne suggested he should move on and United won the league.

Seems Wayne wants us to sign world class players, EXCEPT in his position (so they don't compete with his place as he MUST play irrespective of performances) a case of wanted to retain his cake and eat it. He wants to be the main man whilst playing with world class players who are better than him. Basically occupy a Cristiano or Messi esque role except he never was as good as them and there are teammates who can upstage him. He hasn't hit 20 league goals in his last 4 seasons and players like Nani and Valencia have been voted players player of the year ahead of him.

Fast forward to today where Wayne is now one of the least effective attackers in the league. He regularly tells us he has nothing to prove (he was great so must play irrespective of performances) and that he doesn't listen to the haterz. There was a period under Van Gaal where he had scored something like 4 league goals in 10 months in 2016. The 1st half of 2016 he had 2 in 17 league games there about, hit some form in new year, got injured and now he has 2 in his last 16. Is this a problem for Wayne? nooo sir, no problem as he doesn't need to perform regularly. he just needs to be on the pitch. He is a captain that has ZERO accountability for his performances which for me is a shit captain.

Players like Wayne are soooo pampered by the media that they cannot accept the slightest criticism and rather than hold his hand up and say " I haven't been at my best" they just go on the defensive. You saw it with Terry when Savage was "diggin him out." It isn't very endearing to fans and doesn't inspire us with confidence when a player cannot see his decline, thinks he is doing enough when he has been shit. It makes them seem delusional, dishonest and shows low standards. Gerrard has similar attitudes. I am interested to see whether it is the same in other countries. I know tennis players tend to admit when they haven't played well
Great post but to nitpick I would say that he was not the main man in 2008, only after Ronaldo left.

acnumber9

I dont think he should be in our starting 11 but Rooney deserves better than what he's getting right now. No matter what wages youre on it can't be easy having the world tell you you're shite when you've been used to such a high level. He's been brilliant for United and the game in general. Yes he's had some negatives but when I see him chase back into our own corner to get a block on a northhampton player when we are 3-1 up with a couple minutes to go I see a genuinely honest and great player trying to do his best. His best days are past but he may still be a useful squad player this season. Its a pity to see some of the abuse he's getting and I would'nt bet against him turning this around and playing a big part in our season still
I would agree were it not for the fact that he treated Utd fans with contempt twice coupled with the fact he clearly hasn't worked on his game or his athleticism to the extent that he should have. He's played a lot of football no doubt but so did Giggs and Scholes and they never were so physically shot that they couldn't trap a football. His arrogance has cost him dearly. He also bears the brunt of the fact that he's continually picked. That's not his fault, the managers deserve that criticism but in the heat of the game the player is going to get that stick. This isn't the usual case of a player who just isn't as good as he used to be. This is a player with nowhere near the athleticism required to play at this level. And at not even 31 that's pretty poor.

Red Defence

“United stands for attacking, attractive football
Something is clearly bubbling up behind the scenes. Way too many counter Jose articles since the weekend shifting the blame on the manager and making out like he is the one who is under threat and losing the plot.

I wouldn't be surprised if Rooney does start this weekend, but his days are very close to being numbered.. he's acting desperate at the moment. Damage limitation going on from the Rooney camp trying to position himself as a hard working player merely going through a slump who has the full backing of the manager.

If he is still a first team player by November I will be extremely shocked. In fact if he is a first team player midway through October I will also be shocked.
You're right, something is going on. Starting to read bits now about United fans wanting Mourinho sacked. That's complete and utter rubbish. Fans don't want him sacked at all. What they actually want is Rooney out of the picture. Very odd that the papers are now trying to blame the manager.

Born2Lose

He's so boring and vanilla on the camera, I hope to god nobody is thinking about giving him a job as a pundit when he retires.

Revan

Assumptionman
Does Rooney really have 3 years left on this often-quoted-as-being £ 300, 000 a week deal? And say he doesn't want to leave or take up coaching, I can't even see how he can be sensibly paid off. The figures involved are horrendous, even for the Utd balance sheet. A loan to Celtic or Everton and 'we' pay most of the salary. Same situation for Schweinsteiger, all they have to do to meet the terms of contract is turn up to training, be available, wander through a few reserve games that is embarrassing for everybody if the club is trying to cheese them off.

I'm almost hoping he finds some kind of form, situation could get very horrible. Quite soon, nothing says we can beat/draw vs. Leics if performance is at the Watford-Feyernoord level.
That's what is reported, although I am not sure how it might be the case. I always thought that the football contracts can't be longer than 5 years (with an option to extend for a further year), and Rooney got his contract in the end of 2013, so it should finish in the end of 2018.

But from every report, it apparently runs until the summer of 2019.

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
You're right, something is going on. Starting to read bits now about United fans wanting Mourinho sacked. That's complete and utter rubbish. Fans don't want him sacked at all. What they actually want is Rooney out of the picture. Very odd that the papers are now trying to blame the manager.
A huge media battle is being waged at the moment, it is not even subtle. If anyone doubted the culprit of the 'leak'.. the interview by Rooney, the fact he played against Northampton, Jose 'goals, goals, goals'. Trust me... this is a huge period not just in our season but the future of Manchester United.

Its why it is pissing me off that any United fan can just sit back and think Rooney is a team player and will get back into form. The future of our club as a title contender is at risk here, if we bow down to Rooney now.. we will be in the wilderness for another 6 years and Jose will be gone by January.

Rooney needs to be booed and hounded out the club. No mercy.

Red Defence

“United stands for attacking, attractive football
A huge media battle is being waged at the moment, it is not even subtle. If anyone doubted the culprit of the 'leak'.. the interview by Rooney, the fact he played against Northampton, Jose 'goals, goals, goals'. Trust me... this is a huge period not just in our season but the future of Manchester United.

Its why it is pissing me off that any United fan can just sit back and think Rooney is a team player and will get back into form. The future of our club as a title contender is at risk here, if we bow down to Rooney now.. we will be in the wilderness for another 6 years and Jose will be gone by January.

The club need to act too. Whatever hold he has over the club (and there does seem to be something going on) they need to break it...and soon.

togg

Its why it is pissing me off that any United fan can just sit back and think Rooney is a team player and will get back into form.
The future of our club as a title contender is at risk here, if we bow down to Rooney now.. we will be in the wilderness for another 6 years and Jose will be gone by January.

To be fair, I don't think anyone is thinking he's going to get back into form now - at least I haven't read one. Even Rooney fans (and yeah, I've been one of them) or at least people who would like/hope him to get into form (since an in from Rooney would be beneficial to the team) now realise and accept he's finished at this level and believe he should be out of the team.

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
To be fair, I don't think anyone is thinking he's going to get back into form now - at least I haven't read one. Even Rooney fans (and yeah, I've been one of them) or at least people who would like/hope him to get into form (since an in from Rooney would be beneficial to the team) now realise and accept he's finished at this level and believe he should be out of the team.
I disagree even in this thread alone, people think he can still be a useful squad player and will be a positive influence for a team and accuse fans of overreacting on the issue. They seem totally oblivious to what a harmful and toxic character he is.

The-Natural

Agreed it's totally nauseating and widens the chasm even further between the fan and the club.

GwynnieJ

Would have respected him more if he said "I know I'm shite but I'm not gonna turn down £300k am I?"

At least have some balls and be honest about it.

simmee

Failing to see the connection to City being hyped up, or why it's a butt hurt post. On the contrary, it puts the butt hurt people to rest.
Comparing 1 good season of Rvp to rooney's career for us? Loads of top players haven't won ballon d'or, just as loads of top players have less club honours than their manager. And he only performs in televised showpieces, so it's now bad to perform in the big games? (If I understand that comment correctly) Rooney is rightly being criticised for his performances during the last couple of years but the post is just weird.

SteveJ

all-round nice guy, aka Uncle Joe Kardashian
Scout
Comparing 1 good season of Rvp to rooney's career for us? Loads of top players haven't won ballon d'or, just as loads of top players have less club honours than their manager. And he only performs in televised showpieces, so it's now bad to perform in the big games? (If I understand that comment correctly) Rooney is rightly being criticised for his performances during the last couple of years but the post is just weird.
Seriously, is there any point in me picking apart your post? I've been repeating myself about Rooney for years, and the narrative from his defenders has fallen to pieces over that time: it's descended from "You're nuts - our Wayne is world class" to "I'm so objective that I'll even claim that I want him dropped - yes, I always was the voice of reason". It's pathetic back-pedalling, intellectually dishonest, and should be utterly transparent to the rest of us. Just about every conceivable excuse has been proffered, virtually all of them refutable at best or laughable at worst, and still people are trying to defend Wayne via the backdoor. Defending a hero is fine by me (laudable, in fact) but without honesty it means nothing bar "I'm sad and angry because someone doesn't agree with me". Wayne is playing us all, including his employers, and is coasting towards the choosen time of his retirement; that might be understandable from his perspective but not so much from United's and England's.

Yorkeontop

meonbottom
Him playing at 10 and not being subbed is the issue for me. Wayne has has been better than say a Martial thus far and I wouldn't have a problem with him playing out wide. But please, do sub him if he's ineffective.

Adebesi

Is it now sacrilege to suggest that Rooney might have something to offer as a squad player?

I mean, I know he's complete shit and is stealing a living, his self confidence is an affront to the fans and the other players and he should quit for the good of the club (as if any of us would turn down that much money for the good of our employer.) And I appreciate there can be absolutely no doubt that he is the one leaking shit to the press, it stands to reason and is therefore a fact. I get that.

But is it possible that, once he is dropped, he will respond positively? NOT undermine the manager's authority and NOT sulk and bitch to the press and other players? I realise its a risk this is what he'll do. A big risk, in fact. This risk probably explains why we are in the mess we're in, managers for club and country have quickly ascertained he has that much influence and popularity he can make or break their careers with a simple gesture of the hand, like a Roman emperor.

But I still hold onto this outside hope that once dropped (outside hope squared, because at this stage the hope of him being dropped in the first place seems pretty remote) he will accept it is not intended as a personal affront, that what is happening to him has happened to many other players before, and adjust his expectations in terms of his role in the squad. I hope he will accept that he is not going to be a first teamer but can be a sub and can play in the cups.

I hope he rediscovers some form later in the season and gets himself a few goals from the bench and breaks the record. I wont begrudge him that record if he does it as a sub and a squad player, coming on late in games, full of energy, able to rediscover some of his power and explosiveness by limiting it to 20-30 minute periods, rather than having to conserve himself for over 90. Conversely, the way things are now, when he is starting, I dont actually want him to score because it feels like the good of the team is being subordinated to his own personal quest for this record, and because I worry it will result in him being selected for the next game.

That would be my ideal ending for this whole saga: he's dropped this weekend and that is the end of this phase for Rooney, from then on he is used as a squad player and a sub, he does pretty well, scores 6 or 7 goals this season from limited appearances, helps us win some silverware and leaves in the summer for MLS, on a high, with the gratitude and well wishes from a large portion of our fans.

GiddyUp

I feel that the team needs a purge from the past. Rooney, Young, Depay, Jones, Mata and Lingard should be sold. These players will never play at the level or consistencies this club require. If there was a reprieve for one of them it should be Mata. Fellaini, Valencia, Schneiderlin, Blind are versatile squad players that should be kept but only played based on form.
Rashford, Martial, Henrik, Pogba, Herrera, Bailly, Shaw and De Gea should be the spine we build around. The positions left out could easily be filled with WC talent over the next two windows and an in house rule that certain games must have at least five academy players in the match day squad.
We also need some advocates for the club in the media. We have been crucified by ex players and pundits, sometimes correctly but it mostly feels like they are getting revenge over being slighted by the club and now SAF is not there to protect us it just feels like we are getting the piss taken out of us. Example being Hughes saying Giggs should be our manager and the man himself saying he will not go in to management for the foreseeable future. Imagine he was our manager over the last week with three losses in a row, he would probably shrink so far in to himself we would be left with his lips in the hot seat and we would have a Rooney situation on the bench.
The future is bright for this team but it won't happen over night. The teams expected to duke it out at the top are already settled but come Christmas I expect to have consistancy under Jose and push ourselves in to contention. I also feel the Europa should be our second priority, a Champions league place should not be sneezed at. A few 5-0 could really get this team buzzing, we have not had a game of complete domination for a long time and the spine mentioned above with Zlatan up top, Carrick dictating tempo and no Rooney to waste minutes with cross field balls fluttering in the wind.
Mourinho has a face that indicates the position we are in. The look in his eyes ever time we get the basics wrong tells me that he is well aware of the majorities frustrations. We are still carrying a hangover but with transfer cash in abundance and a man who can attract the best we should all be optimistic.