Rooney - Wants to stay next season

Status
Not open for further replies.

dogwithabone

I'm really surprised people think Everton will want him, personally I don't even think Everton is an option for him. Koeman is a pretty astute manager and I just cannot see him blowing a fee and big salary on a player that looks shot to bits.

He could get far far better value for money than Rooney. We all agree on here that he's finished and Koeman is trying to build something there, it just doesn't stack up why he'd appeal.

Rooney as the replacement for Lukaku ? It's laughable. If I was an Everton fan I'd be livid that my club would blow a £150,000 a week wage on Rooney.

I'd suggest if he's good enough for Everton's starting eleven then he's worthy of keeping here at OT. Truth is he's neither.

Newcastle, Stoke, WBA, WHU if he fancies London, that's the sort of clubs he'll more likely end up at - not a progressive club on the edge of the big six.

MDFC Manager

Agreed. Don't you think Stretford has also been advising not to thow his toys out of the pram, and to remind the media he has been well behaved?

Rooney and Stretford are on to something, aren't they? Why else was Rooney even doing the conference if he is not expected to play vs Celta?
Yup something is up, for sure.

Robbie Boy

Happy days. I was afraid we might lose him to one of the big boys this summer. Nice to see a top player committing themselves to their club instead of whoring themselves around to Barca, Real etc. This is a blessing.

Lentwood

I'm really surprised people think Everton will want him, personally I don't even think Everton is an option for him. Koeman is a pretty astute manager and I just cannot see him blowing a fee and big salary on a player that looks shot to bits.

He could get far far better value for money than Rooney. We all agree on here that he's finished and Koeman is trying to build something there, it just doesn't stack up why he'd appeal.

Rooney as the replacement for Lukaku ? It's laughable. If I was an Everton fan I'd be livid that my club would blow a £150,000 a week wage on Rooney.

I'd suggest if he's good enough for Everton's starting eleven then he's worthy of keeping here at OT. Truth is he's neither.

Newcastle, Stoke, WBA, WHU if he fancies London, that's the sort of clubs he'll more likely end up at - not a progressive club on the edge of the big six.
I have a mate who is a big Everton fan and he is genuinely excited about the prospect of signing Rooney. It baffles me.

I would go as far as to say Rooney couldn't cut it an ANY PL side. His body is totally shot to bits. He doesnt have the pace, strength or fitness. Looks so far off the pace its scary. Ive seen some terrible players at Utd but can't think of any who literally couldn't get a kick unless they went and stood next to the two CBs

prtk0811

Rooney should go to seria a in italy, He'd still earn decent money , in a good city and still score goals in that league. Mourinho must act ruthless and tell him he does not require his services anymore , as this season he has shown what a bad player he has become.

Jazz

Just in case anyone missed it. I don't like Mount.
Agreed. Don't you think Stretford has also been advising not to thow his toys out of the pram, and to remind the media he has been well behaved?

Rooney and Stretford are on to something, aren't they? Why else was Rooney even doing the conference if he is not expected to play vs Celta?
Absolutely.

I'm way too cynical to believe that he's being 'well behaved' in this respect, when he's never done that in the past.

He's been left well and truly bare, with no more power as such. He can't hide now as the fans are mostly with Jose, and weren't happy earlier in the season when we had our usual senior players 'leak'. The reaction from most fans naming him (rightly or wrongly) as the culprit for such leaks, I believe shocked him and Stretford. (Last season they could get away with that nonsense as throwing LVG under the bus seemed to be the 'in' thing).Coupled with the fact that he's been putting in shocking performances for all to see and he has no choice but to 'not throw his toys out of the pram' as he'd have a hell of a backlash given his poor performances..

Djemba-Djemba

I have a mate who is a big Everton fan and he is genuinely excited about the prospect of signing Rooney. It baffles me.

I would go as far as to say Rooney couldn't cut it an ANY PL side. His body is totally shot to bits. He doesnt have the pace, strength or fitness. Looks so far off the pace its scary. Ive seen some terrible players at Utd but can't think of any who literally couldn't get a kick unless they went and stood next to the two CBs
I think this is 100% true. He'd be a hindrance to any Premier League side.

Actually he'd probably be motivated for the first month or so at a new club and put it some semi decent performances. He'd then get complacent though and lazy and revert to his usual form over the last 2 or 3 years.

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
I wasnt really at the CAF when Moyes granted Rooney the new contract but were people pessimistic about that back then already? I was fairly happy, losing SAF and Rooney would be immensely bad and if he could regain form at Chelsea, they could have been a great force. He wasnt half as bad as he is now either.
Fairly happy and relieved but still thinks 300k is too much, and especially after his spat with fergie

ZAGREB RED

No pleasure in saying this whatsoever, but I think he is done. When he plays, he offers little to the team. The only place I see him doing a job is as a sitting midfielder, but only as a stop-gap.

Miscemayl

Why should he expectthat salary at this level he has come down to, he has to get realistic.
It's because we gave him a 6 year contract which we need to fulfill regardless of whether Rooney deserves it or not.

It's unrealistic to expect Rooney to voluntarily take a 200k a week pay cut just because he's turned shit.

prtk0811

It's because we gave him a 6 year contract which we need to fulfill regardless of whether Rooney deserves it or not.

It's unrealistic to expect Rooney to voluntarily take a 200k a week pay cut just because he's turned shit.
Then just leave to china if he wants to play for the money. We aint gonna carry him for what he puts on the pitch in this season.

Miscemayl

Then just leave to china if he wants to play for the money. We aint gonna carry him for what he puts on the pitch in this season.
Really can't see Rooney moving to China.

And unless he finds someone that will pay him the insane money we do, we'll likely need to top up his new salary to match his current one.

The alternative is he'll just stay, train and watch the games from the stand, while earning what he is legally entitled to earn.

phepheshane

Y'all still aint gonna mention the fact that his acting is worse than his football skills?I mean seriously dudes and dudettes!!! :mad:

MadMike

Happy days. I was afraid we might lose him to one of the big boys this summer. Nice to see a top player committing themselves to their club instead of whoring themselves around to Barca, Real etc. This is a blessing.
He can whore himself all he wants. Problem is... he could put on red lipstick, a pair of suspenders and killer heels and still Barca/Real would not touch him with a 10 foot pole. Sadly.

That said I still don't see the big commotion about his interview yesterday. What did people expect him to say to the reporters during a pre-game press conference before the most crucial game of our season? Seriously.

Last edited:

mitchmouse

loves to hate United.
worth him staying just to see the loons go nutty on here! you'd think he'd never done things for the club. that said, I think he will go in the summer but he should go with our blessing because he's been brilliant for United. so what he if (reportedly) asked for a move, so have others (and then gone), so what if he's paid more than pretty much everyone on the caf combined -- that's what footballers get and who here would turn daown a pay rise?

Kant-ona

Would be interesting what Rooney really thinks about his situation. For sure, he knows that his performance is not as good as in former years. Does he really believe that it's only a kind of litte crisis he will overcome? He is not 39 years old, maybe he really think that he has a few more years to offer at the highest level. However, the impressions on the pitch are telling a different story.

Maybe he can only play for United at his PS4 next season.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
Rooney should go to seria a in italy, He'd still earn decent money , in a good city and still score goals in that league. Mourinho must act ruthless and tell him he does not require his services anymore , as this season he has shown what a bad player he has become.
Nah. Italian football is very tactical. Rooney probably struggles to open the door at times.

+ there is no way any serie a team will give him that salary

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
Listening to former British players talk about football post retirement, it's no wonder a lot of them are poor managers. Sometime you think, what the feck are they watching?

prtk0811

Nah. Italian football is very tactical. Rooney probably struggles to open the door at times.

+ there is no way any serie a team will give him that salary
Then just go to mls and retire from england.

Aza Boy

Off course he can stay...in Machester...at his house...not as Man Utd player...

Release Rooney, and I'll 100% support sign Defoe with 88k wages...

give him mutual termination agreement fee...and let him decide his future alone...I don't care if he goes to Chelsea, Arsenal. even Liverpool...He is not thep layer he used to, but he can not accept this fact...

If he wants to stay, cut off your salary, fatty...

devilish

Listening to former British players talk about football post retirement, it's no wonder a lot of them are poor managers. Sometime you think, what the feck are they watching?
This

Punditry is becoming a way of how washed up simpeltons can squeeze the last juice out of their fading career

devilish

I genuinely think there's something going on. These people are surely being paid
Pundits are often washed up players who are squeezing the last penny from their career. Most of them were hardly great players themselves and do need the job. Any inside information is considered a perk as it spice things up and raise ratings up. Hence why its within their interests to keep their remaining friends in business happy

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
Pundits are often washed up players who are squeezing the last penny from their career. Most of them were hardly great players themselves and do need the job. Any inside information is considered a perk as it spice things up and raise ratings up. Hence why its within their interests to keep their remaining friends in business happy
Yeah, likely true. I don't think it's outlandish that Rooney's agent might pay them on behalf of him to say some good things and keep his client happy though

Bobcat

Behind the curtains, leering at the neighbors
I genuinely think there's something going on. These people are surely being paid
:lol: So we went from "silent domination" to being "underappreciated" now. Good lord. I truly respect what he has done for the club, and seeing as he is not playing any longer, any animosity i felt towards him under Van Gaal is gone. The thing is though, a football club is not a charity for players who are past it and Rooney is most certainly in that category.

Sure, 31 is early to hang up his boots in this day and age, but it's better to bow out with dignity rather than kick up a fuss or go play in some irrelevant club abroad.

Janson

I've looked but can't see the white text?
I thought the smiley was enough, and I haven't figured out how to make it white yet anyway.:) It would be worrying though if someone actually thought I was serious.

Adebesi

Agreed. At the start of this season I would have thought he would have done well for Everton. And who knows, maybe he could. But after the season he has had I dont think he is good enough for a team with their aspirations and I doubt Koeman would go for him.

But I am eternally optimistic about Rooney, I always tended to overestimate his ability to really pull a performance out of his arse when needed and if he had a good pre season, had an incentive to prove himself in a new challenge and had a run of games for Everton, I wouldnt rule out him doing well. But that isnt much, he would not be a cheap punt.

I really think MLS is the best option for him at this point - assuming it is an option. Surely a US team would be interested.

Sassy Colin

Death or the gladioli!
Aliens are in control of my tagline & location
If anyone actually saw the clip of his press conference, rather than sensationalist sound bites from our pathetic media, you would know that he looked extremely nervous and unconvincing whilst answering those questions and quite red faced. Even the BBC breakfast program picked up on that.

derace

some people on here..

what is he supposed to say? we have the last few matches and dont need headlines like "rooney wants out"
i'm pretty sure he will leave in the summer as he wants to play football and dont sit on the bench week in week out.

Lentwood

There are other factors to consider commercially other than his basic wage.

We don't know the breakdown of the £350K for a start. Would be nice to think that at least some of that is performance related, and if it is then obviously he won't be earning those bonuses sat on the bench

Secondly, every week he accepts just sitting on the bench (or worse) negatively impacts on "brand Rooney" and also his ability to land a decent contract in summer 2018, by which point he will only be 32

Point being, it may be worth him taking, for example, a 3yr deal on £150K per week plus retain his commercial pulling power rather than fade into total obscurity at Utd and end up a commercial nobody scrapping around for short term pay-as-you-play contracts

Status
Not open for further replies.