Ross Barkley...

balaks

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
Last chance for him to really establish himself in my opinion. I think he is a decent player but he was waaaaaay overhyped as a kid.

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Never thought he was any good. Still hasn’t ironed out the deficiencies in his game

B20

HEY EVERYONE I IGNORE SOMEONE LOOK AT ME
Supports
Liverpool
Combination of injuries and staying too long at Everton where he learned little of what is needed from a top midfielder has meant he's never realised his potential.

Think he could have been a regular for a top side in a different world.

Mb194dc

Supports
Chelsea
He's only 26 and has looked great in patches, hasn't been able to really establish himself in the team though due to huge competition in midfield. We have too many players at Chelsea, so inevitable some will go on loan or be sold before the end of the window.

TheMagicFoolBus

Supports
Chelsea
Akin to Willian in that he's always been held back by his decision-making and speed of thought.

Personally glad to see the back of him; I don't think I've ever seen a more clueless player out of possession in particular. Also can always been relied upon to fail to make a simple pass in favour of a 25 yard shot once per game.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
Injuries held him back from being an outstanding player and our management merry go round at the time he left didn’t help his development either. He was brilliant in the Martinez side, got injured and then hasn’t been able to build on that since. Now you only see it in glimpses.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Thought we might go for a more defensive minded and physical CM (Loftus Cheek was strongly linked to us last week) but can't say no to someone who was a regular for England not so long ago.

Just hope the motivation is still there to force his way into the euros squad. It's surprising how many games he's actually started for England since 2018 world cup.

Robbie Boy

Never lived up to his potential and I literally have no idea why Chelsea signed him. Don't think he'll pull up any trees on loan at Villa but decent-ish signing for them I suppose.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
He actually got far more opportunities than I thought he might get when he signed. Chelsea can sometimes be accused of buying a promising player, then losing patience when they don't hit the ground running. Barkley has had ample opportunity to prove himself at the highest level, the odd moment here and there aside, he's been done absolutely nothing. Okay player, I like him a lot but his Chelsea career will be a trivia question in a couple of years.

Pow

Supports
Chelsea
Injuries held him back from being an outstanding player and our management merry go round at the time he left didn’t help his development either. He was brilliant in the Martinez side, got injured and then hasn’t been able to build on that since. Now you only see it in glimpses.
Not just injuries. For lack of better terms hes just stupid on the pitch. He has all the tools to be a good player but his decision making is awful.

Clermontois

Supports
France
Decent player but was not really ever any better than that. Hope he does well at villa though, something like his time at Everton.

phonics_tid

Your Mother Was a Hamster and Your Father Smelt of
For me it’s never been a question of his ability with his feet but his football intelligence is severely questionable. Every time I’ve watched him play he almost always seems to make the wrong decision, can’t see that working now at Chelsea with the attacking talent they have.

Walters_19_MuFc

Always rated Barkley and continue to do so. Hopefully he'll do well on loan, which will then give him more options going forward.

ThierryHenry

wishes he could watch Arsenal games with KM
I actually think this is a cracking signing for Villa. Barkley, Grealish and McGinn is a fantastic creative midfield. Villa could be touching the top half this season.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
I actually think this is a cracking signing for Villa. Barkley, Grealish and McGinn is a fantastic creative midfield. Villa could be touching the top half this season.
Douglas Luiz has been our best player in last 4 months. Very strong there now and Hourihane is a good squad player to come in when we get injuries.

poleglass red

He hasn't lived up to his billing. I think he needs to play consistently, maybe then we will see the magic we know he has

Reiver

When I first saw him, I thought he was the closest I'd seen to a young Gazza. I still like him, but he's nowhere near that good.

matherto

ask me about our 50% off sale!
I know there’s a picture out there of him playing for youth sides where he’s at least two foot bigger than everyone else so that plays into my estimation of him but he always struck me as the type that was bigger and faster than everyone else as a kid.

Must’ve looked great running past everyone and scoring back then but once he got to playing for adult teams he hadn’t learnt the ability to play in a team and that’s why his football intelligence is so limited.

Walters_19_MuFc

Really started to show his class at Villa. People will say that's his level but I'm led to believe it's because he's getting a run of games - something he never got at Chelsea.

Been Villa's best player tonight, in my opinion. His assist for the 2nd goal was ridiculous!

Robbie Boy

Really started to show his class at Villa. People will say that's his level but I'm led to believe it's because he's getting a run of games - something he never got at Chelsea.

Been Villa's best player tonight, in my opinion. His assist for the 2nd goal was ridiculous!
Probably is his level tbh. He's not elite level. When he's on it, he's fairly good but he can often look like utter shit.

Walters_19_MuFc

Probably is his level tbh. He's not elite level. When he's on it, he's fairly good but he can often look like utter shit.
But he's smashing it in games against teams that are supposedly the big 6 i.e. Liverpool and tonight against Arsenal.

Never got a run of games at Chelsea, which is what players need.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
Great player. The injury and the way he left us probably cost him 2 years of his career and meant we would have had no chance to bring him back which is a bloody shame as he’s unstoppable when he’s on it.

happy he’s at a club now that appreciates his talent.

Robbie Boy

But he's smashing in games against teams that are supposedly the big 6 i.e. Liverpool and tonight against Arsenal.

I think he got a decent amount of chances at Chelsea. The 18/19 season he played way more than I expected and I thought he was underwhelming. There's a reason Chelsea had no problem loaning him out.

He's ok but at 26, he's never really had any standout amazing seasons bar one at Everton. I think a club like Villa is very much his level. It's not a bad thing, I just don't think he's elite level at all.

The holy trinity 68

The disparager
This is the reason I am glad we didn’t pay £50m plus for Grealish. We have seen so many players that are amazing for smaller sides and move to big clubs and fade away.

Barkley and Grealish are both great players but they are big fish in a small pond.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
But he's smashing it in games against teams that are supposedly the big 6 i.e. Liverpool and tonight against Arsenal.

Bit harsh to say he didn't get a run of games. He never really took his chances, but chances he got plenty of.

Walters_19_MuFc

This is the reason I am glad we didn’t pay £50m plus for Grealish. We have seen so many players that are amazing for smaller sides and move to big clubs and fade away.

Barkley and Grealish are both great players but they are big fish in a small pond.
Then how will you ever know someone can make the step up if you don't take a punt?

The same is always said about foreign players and whether they can adapt to the PL.

Eddy_JukeZ

We've also seen the opposite too.

Walters_19_MuFc

Hakim Ziyech created the most key passes (6) in a single game this season against Sheff United yesterday.

Ross Barkley did the same against Arsenal tonight.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Been critical of him last few games but this was ideal game for him. Two man central midfield that is lax pressing and so him and Jack can dart between lines all the time and create space on quick counter attacks.

Wayne's World

I have never had any time for Barkley and never rated him that highly went he came through at Everton but his performances so far for Villa is signing of the season like. Like a man reborn after years of wilderness