Ross Barkley...

TheMagicFoolBus

Supports
Chelsea
For those who missed his assist.

Even in that clip you get the duality of Barkley - takes an absolutely dogshite corner, 5 seconds later smashes an unbelievable left footed volley across for a goal.

He's at his best when he doesn't have to think too much - he's more than a bit thick both on and off the pitch. When he can play instinctively and doesn't have to weigh decisions, he can be good.

Also just to clear up the misconception, he had plenty of time at Chelsea. Problem for him always was that he needs to play as an attacking midfielder and he was used as an 8 more often than not due to the systems our managers played (3-4-3 for Conte, 4-3-3 for Sarri and Lampard). Probably the most frustratingly inconsistent player I can remember off the top of my head, but obviously glad to see he's doing well.

arthurka

Commentator said it first the corner hit the first man like he has done all night then this...

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
But he's smashing it in games against teams that are supposedly the big 6 i.e. Liverpool and tonight against Arsenal.

Never got a run of games at Chelsea, which is what players need.
But he was utterly pants in two run of the mill home games inbetween, which has always been his problem, he takes the phrase streaky to whole new dimensions.

Although that said i do wish we kept him as a squad player, especially now we're playing 433 and two 8's but he wanted guaranteed football with the Euro's coming up.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
If he keeps this up, Chelsea could make a killing if/when we sell him next summer.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
I thought berba was involved but I couldn't remember exactly so I left him out. He chipped a pass out to valencia first right?
Yeah. Berba to Valencia and cross to Rooney. It worked well few times.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
One would assume Villa have a set fee in the loan agreement, probably around 40M give or take?
I have heard nothing of the sort tbh.

He will have 2 years left on his contract next summer, so Chelsea would hold a lot of leverage.

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
Barkley, Stones and Milner are the same persons.
Also that one guy in a boy band that sings invisible man.

Last edited:

BigDunc9

Supports
Everton
Shocking management by Koeman to discard him for 45 million Sigurdsson.

If he would of came though under someone like Wenger to teach his football brain he would be one of the best midfielders in the league. Instead he came up under Moyes and was probably learning how to track back in his youth team games.

Chief123

Has to be one of the most disappointing careers from the potential he had. 28 years old now (turning 29 later this year for the age monitoring police :annoyed:). Chelsea looking to offload him.

I remember the hype around him when he was younger. Touted as a Rooney regen. Him and Dele Alli were meant to be the stars of Englands future.

Think he should go to a team like West Ham, Newcastle, Villa and try and revive his career.

V.O.

Last Man Standing finalist 2019/20
Has to be one of the most disappointing careers from the potential he had. 28 years old now (turning 29 later this year for the age monitoring police :annoyed:). Chelsea looking to offload him.

I remember the hype around him when he was younger. Touted as a Rooney regen. Him and Dele Alli were meant to be the stars of Englands future.

Think he should go to a team like West Ham, Newcastle, Villa and try and revive his career.
Not sure even teams of that level would want him. I think he'd be looking more at relegation scrap sides.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
Not sure even teams of that level would want him. I think he'd be looking more at relegation scrap sides.
Yeah he’s not. Villa had him season before last season and sent him back. The way he started there I was hoping we could finesse £40m out of them before they realised he wasn’t good enough for them.

P-Ro

"Full Member"
Supports
Chelsea and AFC Wimbledon
The only scraps he's looking for are the one's from the chippy after necking 10 pints the night before a match day. Scouse pisshead.

Mwooyo

He was never that good. To be absolutely honest, he was just another over hyped english player. Him, delle ali, theo walcott and even jack wilshere had normal levels of talent that were blown up to be generational and yet if they were french or Brazilian, nobody would talk about them. English players are always grossly overhyped. Only Rooney was worth the hype and he was that good

Chief123

He was never that good. To be absolutely honest, he was just another over hyped english player. Him, delle ali, theo walcott and even jack wilshere had normal levels of talent that were blown up to be generational and yet if they were french or Brazilian, nobody would talk about them. English players are always grossly overhyped. Only Rooney was worth the hype and he was that good
I have to disagree on Wilshere. He was genuine quality who had the ability to go right to the top. His performance against a Barcelona which had Xavi and Iniesta always sticks out as what he could have been.

Unfortunately injuries just completely crippled him and he could not get any rhythm at all. If he stayed fit I believe he could have reached Rooney’s levels but as a midfielder.

CarbonStoolBites

If I’m not mistaken Ross Barkley suffered a pretty bad injury early in his career, broken leg if I remember correctly.
That perhaps also had an impact on how things turned out, although he had a few very good seasons in Everton since then, but it may have been part of the reason why he didn’t take it to the next level.

Mwooyo

I have to disagree on Wilshere. He was genuine quality who had the ability to go right to the top. His performance against a Barcelona which had Xavi and Iniesta always sticks out as what he could have been.

Unfortunately injuries just completely crippled him and he could not get any rhythm at all. If he stayed fit I believe he could have reached Rooney’s levels but as a midfielder.
No, even Jack wilshere wasnt super talented. He played well versus barcelona, so what...so many other players did so. Its only in england where they talk about him like he was something else and continue to refer to the barcelona game like it was a trophy or something. I think even pep said Barcelona had so many wilsheres in their academy. Wilshere and alexander hleb had similar levels of talent. Yes they were talented but even if they fullfilled their potential, they wouldnt be legendary. If wilshere fullfilled his full potential, he would be what samuel nasri was. Play good for a few games...win a title here and there...nothing so unique to talk about. Just a normal good player. There are hundreds of wilsheres in france, spain and brazil. Nothing so special to talk about.

In England, they talk about him like he was a God...like he was maradona or something. They continue to talk about very normal players like they are Gods. Raheem sterling is a good example. Very average players to be honest

Maluco

Last Man Standing 3 champion 2019/20
I always thought that he had great feet and technique but his problem was always decisions. He never seemed to choose the correct options and if you don’t hav the discipline to play deeper, you need to have pretty special decision making and passing, which he doesn’t.

Joining a bloated Chelsea squad for his prime years was another major mistake. So many players get lost on the shuffle there.

But he is more comparable to Traore and our own Rashford (up to this point). Some terrific qualities, but decision making letting them down every time.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
After his injury with us that put him out for a long time he decided that he wanted to leave which was a big mistake. He should have stayed with us, signed a new deal, got back to fitness fully and then moved on which would have helped him keep progressing rather than sign for a team manager that didn’t seemingly want him.

Swedish_Plumber

Jack Rodwell was another Everton starlet that moved too soon.

Shame they didn’t all stay and turn the toffees into a team capable of beating Liverpool more than once a decade.

Chief123

Jack Rodwell was another Everton starlet that moved too soon.

Shame they didn’t all stay and turn the toffees into a team capable of beating Liverpool more than once a decade.
Ah yes he was the next big thing. I remember he had a blinder for Everton against us at Goodison park. Even scored. We were meant to be in for him but he ended up going to Man City and pretty much ended his career. He did get a major injury through I think.

Chief123

No, even Jack wilshere wasnt super talented. He played well versus barcelona, so what...so many other players did so. Its only in england where they talk about him like he was something else and continue to refer to the barcelona game like it was a trophy or something. I think even pep said Barcelona had so many wilsheres in their academy. Wilshere and alexander hleb had similar levels of talent. Yes they were talented but even if they fullfilled their potential, they wouldnt be legendary. If wilshere fullfilled his full potential, he would be what samuel nasri was. Play good for a few games...win a title here and there...nothing so unique to talk about. Just a normal good player. There are hundreds of wilsheres in france, spain and brazil. Nothing so special to talk about.

In England, they talk about him like he was a God...like he was maradona or something. They continue to talk about very normal players like they are Gods. Raheem sterling is a good example. Very average players to be honest
We’ll have to disagree.

I thought Wilshere had potential to be one of the best.

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
His game never matured. He’s probably Fulham levels at the moment

GifLord

Better at GIFs than posts
Everton had quite a lot of these 'next big thing in England' players

Jeffers, Rooney, Vaughan, Anichebe, Rodwell, Gosling & Barkley

Hammondo

Townsend.

We need to look at intelligence a lot more rather than ability to run with the ball.

T00lsh3d

T00ly O' Sh3d
Fortunately the ‘next big thing’s route nowadays is to go abroad rather than straight to a big English club, and it seems a much better route for development judging by Sancho & Bellingham

Theafonis

In love with @Eboue
Supports
Chelsea
His footballing IQ never developed. There’s gaps in his game and he has lapses in concentration. He’s a liability and his last loan spell at Villa was a disaster.

He’d probably dominate the MLS though so can see him making a move there once his contract ends next summer.