Ross Barkley...

MyOnlySolskjaer

Creator of Player Performance threads

Some claims on Twitter that it's not actually true, but if it is - that's an absurdly good time to be fair to him.

Didn't think he had something like this in him. Goes to show the sheer difference between PL players and mortals like ourselves.
That's insane, my best is 21 mins. Could never think of ever reaching that level.

jymufc20

Last Man Standing finalist 2019/20

Some claims on Twitter that it's not actually true, but if it is - that's an absurdly good time to be fair to him.

Didn't think he had something like this in him. Goes to show the sheer difference between PL players and mortals like ourselves.
Funny, he has never been so quick on a football field :lol: it's up there with Joshua calling out Fury now that there is no sports for the foreseeable and Pogba declaring his fitness a week after football gets called off.

PoTMS

It's apparently only elapsed time. True time is 22 mins+.

duffer

Sensible and not a complete jerk like most oppo's
Scout
There's quite a few people at my local parkrun doing similar or faster times every week. People are talking like this is some crazy feat.

Looking at the records, there's 14 years old doing faster. A 10 year old did 17:42!

Walters_19_MuFc

Was starting to do well before this unfortunate event. He, Mount and Gilmour looked fantastic against Everton.

Unfortunately for Ross, with Kovavic and Kante time to revover from their injuries following the pandemic, he'll most likely be dropped again once the season returns (if it does).

Going forward, for the sake of his career, both club and country, I think he should be looking at leaving Chelsea. With the addition of Ziyech and RLC coming back, its always felt like, regardless of how good he plays, he'll get overlooked.

He has natural talent and hasnt really settled since leaving Everton. At 26, he's entering his peak. He needs to be playing in order to fulfil the massive potential he had as a youngster.

Cutch

Northern Ireland. Stretty W3102, Row 2, Seat 129
Those numbers of for his 5.2k! his flat 5 would round someone under 3mins per KM which is simply astounding.

Lingard posted some ridiculous figures for an hour run he did on his Instagram story some weeks back - the levels of fitness footballers have these days is startling.
I seen he done a 40 minute 10k which I was arguing with my mates wasn't all that impressive for a premier league footballer who's main asset was running around a lot. I know Mctominay was running them in 34 minutes as a teen.
What was his stats for the hour?

Deery

Dreary
16 minutes is fast for a 5k, but there’s lots off local runners that could run that time it’s good but not astounding.

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
I think it's widely been debunked on Twitter as a steady 5k run, looks like he was doing intervals with rest inbetween. Which makes sense because most footballers have been pitching in around 17-23 minutes with their times.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Lingard posted on instragram today times of 5k in 17:53 minutes and 10k in 38.17
As a running obsessive, I've always wondered what the top players could put in for racing.

They don't train for it, and a lot of them have a lot of muscle mass, so aren't necessarily built for it. Football is more about strength and sprints.

You also have to weigh up that a lot of your racing speed comes from the competition and adrenaline of it all. I dare say Lingard would do quicker in races.

Rasendori

Man Of Culture

Can somebody explain what was used to measure his time? Is it some sort of software, or app that I can obtain for my own use?

It would be thoroughly appreciated

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Can somebody explain what was used to measure his time? Is it some sort of software, or app that I can obtain for my own use?

Easiest way is to get something like a Garmin GPS watch, then load it to strava.

Deery

Dreary

Strava apparently seen it on Twitter

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
There's quite a few people at my local parkrun doing similar or faster times every week. People are talking like this is some crazy feat.

Looking at the records, there's 14 years old doing faster. A 10 year old did 17:42!
Yep, but it's sedentary football fans who might run once or twice a week posting their admiration.

Anyone into their racing knows the score.
I do decently on the local scene putting 17xx's in.

Summer 2018 in my mid 30s I put a 16.56 and 17.00 in, but at fast races, where that was like 20th and 50th in fields!

The latter only had about 65 runners, but at the front end had a guy called Nick McCormack win it,m somewhere in the low 14s!!!.
He put a quicker time than Mo Farah in at the 2012 Olympics, in a different heat!

Last edited:

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
It's apparently only elapsed time. True time is 22 mins+.
Glad someone pointed this out.
While doing reps around 3-3.05 for 1k off 90secs is still a great effort, it's not doing 5k continuously which would be a superb running level.

Strava has a lot of blaggers like this.

They'll pick some massive elevation drop run, or have the wind behind them, or do it all as reps :)

But the devil is always in the detail!!

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Thanks, just added a Garmin GPS watch to my Amazon Wishlist. And just finished searching Strava on Google.

Deeply grateful.
I use an app called "connect" which the watch loads to. Then strava app picks up from that. No idea if that middle step is actually essential but works for me.

RobinLFC

Cries when Liverpool doesn't get praised
Supports
Liverpool
Yep, but it's sedentary football fans who might run once or twice a week posting their admiration.
I run 40+ miles per week and was seriously impressed with that.

3:00/km over 5km is nothing special from a runner's POV but it is (or would be, since it's apparently not true) a testament to the incredible stamina of your average PL footballer. It's not like you get that kind of pace overnight, and not like Barkley would've specifically been training on it either. In that respect, it is kind of admirable that they can just go out and post such times.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
I run 40+ miles per week and was seriously impressed with that.

3:00/km over 5km is nothing special from a runner's POV but it is (or would be, since it's apparently not true) a testament to the incredible stamina of your average PL footballer. It's not like you get that kind of pace overnight, and not like Barkley would've specifically been training on it either. In that respect, it is kind of admirable that they can just go out and post such times.
You're getting slightly mixed up pal.
My comments related to @duffer's about Lingards sub 18 5k.

Barkley, although falsely giving the impression that 5k was continuous has still put some fast 1k reps in.
3min per rep IS still impressive. That's fast.

What's your background..sort of age, years running, racing times etc? 40mile weeks is a decent lick

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
As a running obsessive, I've always wondered what the top players could put in for racing.

They don't train for it, and a lot of them have a lot of muscle mass, so aren't necessarily built for it. Football is more about strength and sprints.

You also have to weigh up that a lot of your racing speed comes from the competition and adrenaline of it all. I dare say Lingard would do quicker in races.
As you say the types of fitness required for football are different than a middle-distance runner. There's absolutely no need for a footballer to run without stopping for more than a minute or so, when you look at how far and when players are running within a match. As far as I'm aware, the most commonly used test now is the yo-yo test, which is typically a 20mx2 rep with 5-10 seconds recovery, building up the speed as it gets harder. That has largely replaced the bleep test as it is more sport-specific. And in the yo-yo test I'd imagine a lot of players, particularly the fit midfielders and leggy wing-backs, would do better than a lot of the middle distance runners who could post slightly quicker 5k times.

Going back to your initial question though, the bigger centre-halves and forwards would struggle due to both their size but proportion of fast-twitch to slow-twitch muscle fibre. And equally some of your more gifted but lazy types wouldn't exactly set the heather alight. For example, Tony Watt posted his 5k time at 23-24 minutes, admitting that it was pretty crap. The fitter players will be generally in that 17-20 minute ballpark. But I would imagine with a few months of tailored training, they could make some solid inroads into that.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
He was doing 200m or 400m intervals @Sandikan, total time for the session was over 1 hour (see Joey Barton’s twitter).

Like feck Barkley could run 3min km reps :lol:
Ahhh. I saw the 22min elapsed time and thought he'd done the classic 5x1km off 90secs.

Makes a lot of sense as 3min per km is sharp!
I did one once and it wasn't the sort of thing you'd do a number of, unless you're an animal of a runner. Which he'd be too muscular for and totally untrained in the right areas.

Kasper

Supports
Hansa Rostock / Bradford City
Yikes at Chelseas Marketing Team thinking it's a great idea to show off his time when it's just an accumulation of sprints over an hour. I was actually impressed before that turn of events.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
Yikes at Chelseas Marketing Team thinking it's a great idea to show off his time when it's just an accumulation of sprints over an hour. I was actually impressed before that turn of events.
Not a great week for Chelseas marketing team really. News reports of a member of it cheating on her boyfriend with Jorginho also.

Ahhh. I saw the 22min elapsed time and thought he'd done the classic 5x1km off 90secs.

Makes a lot of sense as 3min per km is sharp!
I did one once and it wasn't the sort of thing you'd do a number of, unless you're an animal of a runner. Which he'd be too muscular for and totally untrained in the right areas.
Check out the running thread, daft cnut thought no-one would notice this his last km, at 2:38 pace is closing in on a 4 minute mile :lol:

Fosu-Mens

Impressed? With his body mass etc that would have been extremely impressive. Lose a couple of kilos, then he could have competed professionally.

TrustInJanuzaj

'Liverpool are a proper club'
That’s a decent move for him. He’s always been overrated and not good enough for a top side but he’s equally capable of playing well for a team like Villa if he can stay fit.

Brwned

Have you ever been in love before?
Odd move, thought he was finding his strive at Chelsea.
He's inferior to Kovacic in practically every way and adds nothing to the team when he plays alongside him, unlike Kante, Jorginho, Mount etc., so once Kovacic established himself last year his future was pretty much sown up. He'll never be good enough at CL or international level.