Roy Hodgson | Appointed England Manager

Spiersey

Supports
Chelsea
It's incredibly stupid from Roy. He says he's 'resting his resolve'. What happens if snaps his hamstring during the match? Would he apologise then?

AngeloHenriquez

Supports
Stevenage
This bloke doesn't do himself any favours, comes across with some really strange comments, read one this morning regarding the upcoming WC in Brazil, saying how we are very new to this as to him, Argentina would make you think 'wow', whereas Chile might not, but in actually they MIGHT be as good.

I'm hoping he'd of done some research into the strength of teams he may have to play? What does he spend his time doing? Surely can't be that dim

x42bn6

Rooney in Paris

Gerrard shirt..Anfield? You'll Never Live it Down
Scout
:lol:

I like Roy, I don't rate him much but I like him and I think he suits the England NT perfectly (unimpressive manager for an unimpressive team). But this episode is just beyond understanding, it's a huge 'feck you' to Liverpool and I'd be furious if he'd done the same with a Utd player!

Oggmonster

Whilst some of the comments are a bit stupid and "typical Roy" couldn't Liverpool or Sturridge withdraw him from the squad if they thought he wasn't fit? Afterall it was only a friendly, plenty of players do it (Rooney, Giggs, Carrick, Gerrard, Lampard have all done it for their countries plenty of times.) Sturridge also said afterwards he had "no regrets" about playing in it so he should get some flack to. It's his body so he should know if he was struggling.

x42bn6

Whilst some of the comments are a bit stupid and "typical Roy" couldn't Liverpool or Sturridge withdraw him from the squad if they thought he wasn't fit? Afterall it was only a friendly, plenty of players do it (Rooney, Giggs, Carrick, Gerrard, Lampard have all done it for their countries plenty of times.) Sturridge also said afterwards he had "no regrets" about playing in it so he should get some flack to. It's his body so he should know if he was struggling.
A 20-year-old in contention to go to the World Cup is hardly going to say "no", though, right?

Oggmonster

A 20-year-old in contention to go to the World Cup is hardly going to say "no", though, right?

If it was bad enough then he should be advised better. I'd be surprised if anyone at England said "you either play this friendly or you're not going to the World Cup." The season he is having at the moment (and since he joined Liverpool) he is 100% guaranteed to be going. If he pulled out a squad because he was injured then it's fair enough, he chose to play and ran the risk.

Again, the injuries are separate anyway. He had a thigh injury for England and is now out with an ankle injury, from apparently an accident in training, so I don't think it is fair to pin all the blame on his current situation on Hodgson.

At the end of the day he's a 24 year old adult and will be surrounded by people advising him, if he didn't feel right he should of said he wasn't fit to play, he knows his body better than anyone else and plenty of players withdraw from these pointless friendlies and still go to a World Cup. He clearly felt he was right to play and obviously was proved right by the fact he played the full game.

B20

HEY EVERYONE I IGNORE SOMEONE LOOK AT ME
Supports
Liverpool
I'm hoping he'd of done some research into the strength of teams he may have to play? What does he spend his time doing? Surely can't be that dim
His comments about Montenegro before the crucial encounter with them:

"They have two very good forwards, (Mirko) Vucinic who plays for Juventus and has a transfer value of £30million and (Stevan) Jovetic, who has just been transferred to Manchester City for £25million."That is £55million-worth of talent. I don't know what they have after that. I would very much doubt there is a Vucinic 2 and a Jovetic 3."
Have to wonder what teams he actually watches, given that he doesn't bother with the opposition or U21s.

AngeloHenriquez

Supports
Stevenage
His comments about Montenegro before the crucial encounter with them:

"They have two very good forwards, (Mirko) Vucinic who plays for Juventus and has a transfer value of £30million and (Stevan) Jovetic, who has just been transferred to Manchester City for £25million."That is £55million-worth of talent. I don't know what they have after that. I would very much doubt there is a Vucinic 2 and a Jovetic 3."
Have to wonder what teams he actually watches, given that he doesn't bother with the opposition or U21s.
http://uk.reuters.com/article/2013/12/02/uk-soccer-england-hodgson-idUKBRE9B10YS20131202

You'll enjoy that, he makes references to the one and only Forest Gump and then the bit that really sold me ...

"We don't know how good Argentina are, we would all think 'blimey, Argentina are strong', but we don't know that," said Hodgson who was also coach of Switzerland at the 1994 World Cup. "They might be no stronger than Chile.
That for me is beyond a joke... Is he even fond of football?

B20

Supports
Liverpool
"The tropical nature of Manaus is the problem. I'm not an expert on the venue but I'm just mouthing what everybody has been saying to me."
All the discussion about the different teams and their strengths is based on speculation … but we don't know. We don't know how good Argentina are. We would all think 'Blimey, Argentina are strong', but we don't know that. They might be no stronger than Chile. We will hope for our best but it is like Forrest Gump and his box of chocolates. We will open it up, see what we get."

B20

Supports
Liverpool
That for me is beyond a joke... Is he even fond of football?

Probably he thinks that he has gotten by mediocrily well enough for 38 years not doing this stuff, so why change now?

RK

I'd be annoyed if he did this with a United player. But then again, we didn't treat him like shit!

Nice one Roy.

alastair

ignorant
The guy is arguably the worst England manager ever, and that's up against some stiff competition.

If I were Liverpool, I'd be seriously considering taking legal action against this moron.

B20

Supports
Liverpool
So, a few days ago, Roy made some comments about what he hoped to avoid in Brazil:

"The tropical nature of Manaus is the problem. I'm not an expert on the venue but I'm just mouthing what everybody has been saying to me. Manaus is the place ideally to avoid and Porto Alegre is the place ideally to get. Manaus will be a difficult venue for everyone, including the Argentinians, Chileans and Colombians, but for northern European players it will be a little bit harder. You have a better chance if you get one of the venues where the climate is kinder."

To which the mayor of Manaus had the following retort (google translated):

The England Manager, Hoy Hogdson, was deeply unhappy that Manaus is a city to be avoided in the World Cup of 2014 due to the warm climate and high relative humidity.
We, too, would prefer that people England don't come. We are hoping to get a better selection, with more football ... and with more sensitive technical, **** and educated.
Behold one of the few people in the world who have no curiosity about the Amazon, you don't dream to meet Manaus.
The Brazil, which has won more world cups among all Nations, plays anywhere, enter in competitions without caring about the climate of the city or the country that hosts it. And that should be the spirit of any selection, which if victorious ", criticized the Mayor, continuing:
"I spent my youth competing sportsmanlike. When I won, I won. When lost, don't blame the weather or any master. If you slept badly or well, that doesn't matter to anyone. Making excuses reveals lack of panache and self-confidence. The Brazil has competed in several world cups in Europe and in the cold. Won when the team hit, lost when the team made a mistake. The rest is literally rest.
Lucky that the English people is different from Mr. Hogdson. It's polite and knows how to appreciate the beauty. And nothing is more beautiful and thought-provoking than the Amazon, the Amazon and Manaus."

England are of course set to play in Manaus. Had to happen really.

The Mitcher

connoisseur of pot noodles and sandwiches
So, a few days ago, Roy made some comments about what he hoped to avoid in Brazil:

"The tropical nature of Manaus is the problem. I'm not an expert on the venue but I'm just mouthing what everybody has been saying to me. Manaus is the place ideally to avoid and Porto Alegre is the place ideally to get. Manaus will be a difficult venue for everyone, including the Argentinians, Chileans and Colombians, but for northern European players it will be a little bit harder. You have a better chance if you get one of the venues where the climate is kinder."

To which the mayor of Manaus had the following retort (google translated):

The England Manager, Hoy Hogdson, was deeply unhappy that Manaus is a city to be avoided in the World Cup of 2014 due to the warm climate and high relative humidity.
We, too, would prefer that people England don't come. We are hoping to get a better selection, with more football ... and with more sensitive technical, **** and educated.
Behold one of the few people in the world who have no curiosity about the Amazon, you don't dream to meet Manaus.
The Brazil, which has won more world cups among all Nations, plays anywhere, enter in competitions without caring about the climate of the city or the country that hosts it. And that should be the spirit of any selection, which if victorious ", criticized the Mayor, continuing:
"I spent my youth competing sportsmanlike. When I won, I won. When lost, don't blame the weather or any master. If you slept badly or well, that doesn't matter to anyone. Making excuses reveals lack of panache and self-confidence. The Brazil has competed in several world cups in Europe and in the cold. Won when the team hit, lost when the team made a mistake. The rest is literally rest.
Lucky that the English people is different from Mr. Hogdson. It's polite and knows how to appreciate the beauty. And nothing is more beautiful and thought-provoking than the Amazon, the Amazon and Manaus."

England are of course set to play in Manaus. Had to happen really.
I don't really see the need for a spat. Also I don't like how he is making England seem weak because they are "northern european" not good for morale. So what is wrong with humidity? it rains every time in the UK that's nothing.

Big Ben Foster

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Supports
Also support Vasco da Gama
I don't really see the need for a spat. Also I don't like how he is making England seem weak because they are "northern european" not good for morale. So what is wrong with humidity? it rains every time in the UK that's nothing.
There's a slight difference between rainy days in the UK and Amazonian humidity.

The Mitcher

There's a slight difference between rainy days in the UK and Amazonian humidity.
I know there's a difference, but there's no reason Roy should be saying this, and getting into a debate. The players will have to get the results, forget about the climate, because they aren't the only ones who are going to have difficulties. Its just stupid playing the victim card from Woy, and its annoying. He has no reason to be moaning.

JulesWinnfield

West Brom Fan
Forget about the climate? They should be doing everything in their power to get the players used to in some way the humidity they'll be facing. It'll be unlike anything they've ever played in before, something you wouldn't possibly be able to ignore and just get on with. Fortunately Italy won't be used to it either, but its certainly naive to think they'll be able to just get on with it.

Playing football in the humidity they'll be playing poses loads of difficulties and potential health problems. Hopefully FIFA will agree to drinks breaks which I believe Italy asked to be included.

The Mitcher

Nobody wanted to play in Manaus. Hodgson says it wouldn't suit us and people are moaning. Why doesn't he just say no comment to everything? I know he's a tit but give him a break

The Mayor comes out looking like a 5 year old.
It did say translated with Google

Kag

Hodgson gets a lot of stick for no apparent reason, in my opinion. He's a good guy, the players like him, he really has tried to modernise our play, he's promoted a fair amount of youth and he seems to be open to experimentation a little. He's instinctively negative, but the reversion to a 3 man midfield has been promising, as has the way he has switched it up with the likes of Townsend on the wings of a 4231. Good luck to him, he should be well pleased with our group.

SteveJ

all-round nice guy, aka Uncle Joe Kardashian
Scout
Nope. He's a big-headed journeyman with little grasp of tact; only a bloody fool would describe Hillsborough campaigners as 'not helpful'.

Aboutreika18

When Roy Hodgson was asked this week which player he would most like to pinch from a rival team at the coming World Cup finals, the England manager gave his questioner, Garry Richardson of Radio 5 Live, an answer that was both amusing and diplomatic. He would take Mario Balotelli from Italy for the opening Group D fixture, he said, followed by Luis Suárez from Uruguay, and then, for the final group match, "whoever is Costa Rica's best player – I haven't quite done my research on that yet".

Barney

"We're going to smash them (Crystal Palace)"
Supports
Liverpool
Whenever this thread is bumped you always know that the owl has gone and said something idiotic. He hasn't disappointed.

B20

Supports
Liverpool
Fecks sake. What does he actually do as manager? He could have just plumbed for an easy answer like Bryan Ruiz or Oviedo. Easy money to manage England apparently.