Roy Hodgson | Appointed England Manager

Glanville95

If it was a straight choice between the two, I'd much rather see Smalling go than Jones. Far better defender, if deployed at centre back. Jones, on the other hand, would be a far more useful player seeing as he can cover a number of positions. I'd take both personally, but I do agree that the effusive praise by some United fans of Jones is excessive.

Blasphemy

Welbeck is easily ahead of Sturridge. Welbeck has been excellent for England. Jones should be there of course.
:lol: Can't believe people still think this.

34 goals in 57 games since he moved to Liverpool. There's clear daylight between the two at this point.

Blasphemy

both Sturridge and Welbeck should go. But if it is a choice between the two, Welbeck.
There is no way Sturridge will not be starting in the summer. We might play both with Welbeck on the wing, but Sturridge is nailed on, Welbeck will most likely be on the bench.

Red Dreams

Across the Universe....from Old Trafford.
There is no way Sturridge will not be starting in the summer. We might play both with Welbeck on the wing, but Sturridge is nailed on, Welbeck will most likely be on the bench.
It will be interesting how Roy uses them. But for me seeing Rooney, Sturridge and Welbeck available for England is pleasing.

EDIT: not going to jump on the 'England will win the WC' bandwagon. But I think we will do very well...surprising many.

united_99

Takes pleasure in other people's pain
Is someone really suggesting that England should only take two strikers to the WC? One of which hardly ever performs in tournaments and the other hasn't even played in a tournament and hasn't done anything so far against teams outside England?

Blasphemy

It will be interesting how Roy uses them. But for me seeing Rooney, Sturridge and Welbeck available for England is pleasing.

EDIT: not going to jump on the 'England will win the WC' bandwagon. But I think we will do very well...surprising many.
I think we'll do god awful because of the heat. Our team isn't as bad as people think but we're going to be crap in 25-30 degree weather.

Blasphemy

its preparation. How will Germany perform.

Why do people never doubt them?
Think Germany will under perform too. Germany have an absolutely hideous schedule, nothing but games in the sweltering heat of the north and in with three teams who are very, very used to playing in heat (Ghana, Portugal and USA who play their season in the summer).

Brazil, Argentina, Spain to win it with Chile to surprise people.

Red Dreams

Think Germany will under perform too. Germany have an absolutely hideous schedule, nothing but games in the sweltering heat of the north and in with three teams who are very, very used to playing in heat (Ghana, Portugal and USA who play their season in the summer).

I said elsewhere. Bet your house on Argentina to win the darn thing.....yes. even accounting for their doubtful defence. Germany will be thereabouts. They have great players and team. Plus their never say die attitude. Think if we are mentally and physically prepared...we should get to the semis. But don't discount Italy and Spain.

Zak Smith

I think we'll do god awful because of the heat. Our team isn't as bad as people think but we're going to be crap in 25-30 degree weather.
Fully agree, Gerrard couldn't hack the three games on the bounce at the Euros nevermind over in Brazil. And he is nailed on for starts now unfortunately. Cahill will be made to look average when removed from the defensive mould of Chelsea. I personally find it hard to see the Liverpool players being mentally in the right place for the WC after throwing the league [potentially] and likewise if they manage to win it. Sturridge won't look like a 20 goal a season striker over there thats for sure. The same old problems of poor tactics and lack of preparation and confidence will no doubt resurface as well. Unless we get a result against Italy I find it hard to see us progressing out of the groups.

Stick

Supports
Liverpool
Is it still only 3 subs allowed despite the heat? I remember Stan Staunton nearly evaporating in Orlando in 1994. The rules of football should change to allow around 6 changes a game. Would really untie managers hands for blooding youth and freshening things up.

Blasphemy

I said elsewhere. Bet your house on Argentina to win the darn thing.....yes. even accounting for their doubtful defence. Germany will be thereabouts. They have great players and team. Plus their never say die attitude. Think if we are mentally and physically prepared...we should get to the semis. But don't discount Italy and Spain.
We've no chance of the semis. England have never, ever beaten a top side in the knockouts of a major tournament and we'll have the play a top class side in the quarters.

Red Dreams

Fully agree, Gerrard couldn't hack the three games on the bounce at the Euros nevermind over in Brazil. And he is nailed on for starts now unfortunately. Cahill will be made to look average when removed from the defensive mould of Chelsea. I personally find it hard to see the Liverpool players being mentally in the right place for the WC after throwing the league [potentially] and likewise if they manage to win it. Sturridge won't look like a 20 goal a season striker over there thats for sure. The same old problems of poor tactics and lack of preparation and confidence will no doubt resurface as well. Unless we get a result against Italy I find it hard to see us progressing out of the groups.
I would say...if we beat Uruguay...we should be on the way.

Blasphemy

Uruguay are in really poor form, but obviously that sometimes means nothing.

I think the opener in Manaus in nailed on low scoring, probably 0-0, maybe 1-0 to Italy.

The Uruguay game is the key, assuming we beat Costa Rica.

mic.m

likes to be nude when popping out baked brownies
England should be worried about their midfield
*Gerrard-old
*Wilshire-always injured
*Lampard-old and past it.
*Carrick-ageing, poor season
*Milner-Milner
*Henderson-decent,good season
*Jones-defender, headless chicken
*Barry-old,slow
*Cleverly-average, poor season

Stick

Supports
Liverpool
I agree and I think Uruguay and Italy will get out of the group. Uruguay to go close but the Argies to win it. Safe bet on a south american team when in south america. Brazil will have too much pressure on them I think for the win.

Stick

Supports
Liverpool
makes sense. That is why if England beat Uruguay...it will be Italy and us.
I dont think England will beat Uruguay. Uruguay are going to be hugely fired up for that one. A draw would be the best to hope for. Is it game 3 of the group? If it is and unless Hodgson has changed his game plan then Gerard/Barry will be on their 3rd game in 30 degree heat in a 2 man midfield. Neither can do that. I would fear a group exit.

zing

Zingle balls
England should be worried about their midfield
*Gerrard-old
*Wilshire-always injured
*Lampard-old and past it.
*Carrick-ageing, poor season
*Milner-Milner
*Henderson-decent,good season
*Jones-defender, headless chicken
*Barry-old,slow
*Cleverly-average, poor season
how's being 'old' relevant if they've performed this season? It's not like they're going to play the world cup over the next 5 years.

Red Dreams

I dont think England will beat Uruguay. Uruguay are going to be hugely fired up for that one. A draw would be the best to hope for. Is it game 3 of the group? If it is and unless Hodgson has changed his game plan then Gerard/Barry will be on their 3rd game in 30 degree heat in a 2 man midfield. Neither can do that. I would fear a group exit.
We play Uruguay after Italy. But Hodgson will be loony to play those two in all 3. He Has to switch his players according to whom he is facing..otherwise your scenario will be correct. The Uruguay match is Key.

EDIT:

I'm hoping we start with at least a draw with Italy..our toughest opponents....and beat Uruguay and Costa Rica. But even if we lose to Italy and beat the other two we should be good.

Stick

Supports
Liverpool
If I were Hodgson I'd just go fook it and abandon 442 for this tournament. I'd play Cahill and Smalling in centre with Cole and Jones on the sides. That gives a good mix of young fast defenders who can recover quickly. I'd play gerard and Henderson in the same role they're playing for liverpool with Barkley/wilshere in front of them. I'd go with front 3 of Rooney Sturridge and 1 of wellbeck, Lallana, Ox or Sterling. I'd take Carrick and swap him with gerard every other game and use wilshere sparingly initially to see how his fitness is. Judging Hodgson though he'll play a dogged 442 with england lumping the ball up to a lambert and conceding 60% of the play and killing themselves in the heat.

Stick

Supports
Liverpool
We play Uruguay after Italy. But Hodgson will be loony to play those two in all 3. He Has to switch his players according to whom he is facing..otherwise your scenario will be correct. The Uruguay match is Key.

EDIT:

I'm hoping we start with at least a draw with Italy..our toughest opponents....and beat Uruguay and Costa Rica. But even if we lose to Italy and nest the other two we should be good.
He wont though. He'll play the same back 4 and midfield and rotate his wingers and strikers. I wouldnt be surprised to see Gerard play all 3 but he shouldn't.

Red Dreams

If I were Hodgson I'd just go fook it and abandon 442 for this tournament. I'd play Cahill and Smalling in centre with Cole and Jones on the sides. That gives a good mix of young fast defenders who can recover quickly. I'd play gerard and Henderson in the same role they're playing for liverpool with Barkley/wilshere in front of them. I'd go with front 3 of Rooney Sturridge and 1 of wellbeck, Lallana, Ox or Sterling. I'd take Carrick and swap him with gerard every other game and use wilshere sparingly initially to see how his fitness is. Judging Hodgson though he'll play a dogged 442 with england lumping the ball up to a lambert and conceding 60% of the play and killing themselves in the heat.
you are giving me nightmares. :(

Stick

Supports
Liverpool
you are giving me nightmares. :(
Check out the post in the Gerard thread about Englands last performance against Italy. Conceded huge amounts of possession to them and were lucky to draw. Italy are no great shakes. If Hodgson can change his spots I like Englands chances of surprising the Italians who will start slowly but Hodgson is stubborn.

Red Dreams

Check out the post in the Gerard thread about Englands last performance against Italy. Conceded huge amounts of possession to them and were lucky to draw. Italy are no great shakes. If Hodgson can change his spots I like Englands chances of surprising the Italians who will start slowly but Hodgson is stubborn.
if we beat Itay...we will be certs to get out of the group.

mic.m

likes to be nude when popping out baked brownies
how's being 'old' relevant if they've performed this season? It's not like they're going to play the world cup over the next 5 years.
Being old is relevant when your manager is going to play a 2 man midfield in hot humid weather against 3 man midfields most likely containing technically better players. Remember when we played Giggs, Scholes and Park against City? Something like that will happen to England. Better yet remember how England played against Italy at Euro2012?

Stick

Supports
Liverpool
if we beat Itay...we will be certs to get out of the group.
Don't count your chickens. Ireland did that in 1994 and then went and lost to Mexico in a heat wave and stumbled out of the group with a 0-0 with Norway! Costa Rica will be no pushovers in the heat. Brian Ruiz and that young everton lad if fit could be a handful.

Stick

Supports
Liverpool
I think being old is relevant in how a player is used. I don't think an old player could cope with the fitness levels needed for a 442 formation in the heat in Brazil.

Stick

Supports
Liverpool
Being old is relevant when your manager is going to play a 2 man midfield in hot humid weather against 3 man midfields most likely containing technically better players. Remember when we played Giggs, Scholes and Park against City? Something like that will happen to England. Better yet remember how England played against Italy at Euro2012?
Ye beat me to it!!!

JulesWinnfield

West Brom Fan
You clearly haven't watched England at all for a long time. Lambert is highly unlikely to start a game. Probably won't actually make the pitch. And England have rarely played 4-4-2 since Euro 2012.

Then again, peoples opinions on England are so pre-conceived its hilarious.

AlwaysRedwood

I guess I"m a little confused. 24 is not sweltering heat.

Blasphemy

Don't count your chickens. Ireland did that in 1994 and then went and lost to Mexico in a heat wave and stumbled out of the group with a 0-0 with Norway! Costa Rica will be no pushovers in the heat. Brian Ruiz and that young everton lad if fit could be a handful.
Joel Campbell looked really useful against us for Olympiakos too.

And Costa Rica is hotter all year round that Manaus will be in the summer with just as much humidity. They'll be absolutely fine in the heat.