Roy Hodgson | Appointed England Manager

Zak Smith

We don't even know how Gerrard will handle two games on the bounce now, nevermind three. He's spent the season playing from weekend to weekend mostly, and suddenly it will be three games in ten days. Really is nobody else in CM to replace him though, Lampard is even more past it, others are injured/unfit.

Stick

Supports
Liverpool
You clearly haven't watched England at all for a long time. Lambert is highly unlikely to start a game. Probably won't actually make the pitch. And England have rarely played 4-4-2 since Euro 2012.

Then again, peoples opinions on England are so pre-conceived its hilarious.
I said a Lambert. Meaning a Lambert like player and I have watched England quite a bit.

JulesWinnfield

West Brom Fan
I said a Lambert. Meaning a Lambert like player and I have watched England quite a bit.
So you watch England and yet you think that Lambert or a similar player (presumably Carroll or Wickham) is somehow going to leap frog their way from 4th choice or below to starting in a world cup despite that not tried at all? That'd just be the most un-Hodgson like thing to do ever. He's a predictable guy, Sturridge will definitely play, Rooney will definitely play. Lambert will be on the bench.

Señor

Humongous twit who can't read
Can someone more informed on international football give a brief evaluation of each of England's opponents at the World Cup? Even Italy, who we played in the Euro's, I'm not too sure about.

Come to think of it, I thought we were nailed on to beat Italy two summers ago, but they surprised me, we were just chasing shadows all game round. I guess the good thing is we only lost to them on penalties. A draw is doable, isn't it?

Stick

Supports
Liverpool
So you watch England and yet you think that Lambert or a similar player (presumably Carroll or Wickham) is somehow going to leap frog their way from 4th choice or below to starting in a world cup despite that not tried at all? That'd just be the most un-Hodgson like thing to do ever. He's a predictable guy, Sturridge will definitely play, Rooney will definitely play. Lambert will be on the bench.
But for game two he may need to make a change should Sturridge or Rooney get injured. Who do you put on then? It's not inconceivable that a lambert like striker will make an appearance for England. Sure you used Crouch and Carroll in similar roles.

Barney

"We're going to smash them (Crystal Palace)"
Supports
Liverpool
Fully agree, Gerrard couldn't hack the three games on the bounce at the Euros nevermind over in Brazil. And he is nailed on for starts now unfortunately. Cahill will be made to look average when removed from the defensive mould of Chelsea. I personally find it hard to see the Liverpool players being mentally in the right place for the WC after throwing the league [potentially] and likewise if they manage to win it. Sturridge won't look like a 20 goal a season striker over there thats for sure. The same old problems of poor tactics and lack of preparation and confidence will no doubt resurface as well. Unless we get a result against Italy I find it hard to see us progressing out of the groups.
Eh? Gerrard was by far our best player at the Euros.

JulesWinnfield

West Brom Fan
But for game two he may need to make a change should Sturridge or Rooney get injured. Who do you put on then? It's not inconceivable that a lambert like striker will make an appearance for England. Sure you used Crouch and Carroll in similar roles.
In that case Welbeck will be used as a central striker. Lambert has been used fleetingly, he started a couple of games when literally all his competition was out injured and has played about 2 minutes in the 5 games since. Pretty clear Hodgson doesn't rate him THAT highly, he and all his competition are well below Welbeck, Sturridge, and Rooney in the pecking order.

Someone like Lambert might get a few minutes at the end of a game but they're certainly not going to be a key tactic. He's clearly pretty reluctant to go beyond his main 3 strikers.

Stick

Supports
Liverpool
In that case Welbeck will be used as a central striker. Lambert has been used fleetingly, he started a couple of games when literally all his competition was out injured and has played about 2 minutes in the 5 games since. Pretty clear Hodgson doesn't rate him THAT highly, he and all his competition are well below Welbeck, Sturridge, and Rooney in the pecking order.

Someone like Lambert might get a few minutes at the end of a game but they're certainly not going to be a key tactic. He's clearly pretty reluctant to go beyond his main 3 strikers.
So what would your team be then?

JulesWinnfield

West Brom Fan
So what would your team be then?
My team would be:

---------------------------------Hart---------------------------------------
----Johnson-----------Jagielka-----------Cahill--------------------Baines----
-----------------------Gerrard-----------Henderson-------------------------
-----Sterling--------------------Rooney-------------------------Welbeck----
-------------------------------Sturridge------------------------------------

Perhaps too attacking for the first game in which case i'd go 4-3-3 and bring in Carrick or Wilshere for Welbeck. Certainly if we're to beat Uruguay we have to hope they play Lugano and destroy his lack of pace. I also think Hodgson will choose this side except perhaps Milner in place of Welbeck.

mic.m

likes to be nude when popping out baked brownies
You clearly haven't watched England at all for a long time. Lambert is highly unlikely to start a game. Probably won't actually make the pitch. And England have rarely played 4-4-2 since Euro 2012.

Then again, peoples opinions on England are so pre-conceived its hilarious.
Hodgson will start Rooney and Sturridge upfront. Rooney is not a conventional Number 10. If Welbeck starts he will be shifted out wide.

TheGame

My team would be:

Perhaps too attacking for the first game in which case i'd go 4-3-3 and bring in Carrick or Wilshere for Welbeck. Certainly if we're to beat Uruguay we have to hope they play Lugano and destroy his lack of pace. I also think Hodgson will choose this side except perhaps Milner in place of Welbeck.
That side would get taken apart defensively. You have got to play 3 in the midfield and use the pace of the front 3 to attack. The weather will be a huge factor.

Stick

Supports
Liverpool
My team would be:

Johnson is going to get selected alright but for me he's not been good enough for a while now. Baines has a great delivery but I like my fullbacks faster. I would play cole because he hasnt really played and has a club to catch the eye of in this tournament. Jagielka hasnt had long back from injury and looked off the pace against city but could get back to full fitness. Lallana might be a shout out on the left for his form but Welbeck has worked very well there for England and United in the past. I think it's a strong side.

JSMHE

Gk: Hart, Ruddy, Forster
CB: Cahill, Jagielka, Smalling
RB: Walker, Glen
LB: Baines, Shaw
CM: Wilshere, Gerrard, Barkley, Henderson, Barry
Wing: Sterling, Ox, Lallana
ST: Rooney, Sturridge, Welbeck, Lambert

Need one more player. I can't decided who's going to be the 23rd man. It's a little bit unfair if I pick Carrick ahead of Barry since Barry has done well with Everton and also Everton has done much better than United.
It's unfair as well if Hodgson picked Cole ahead of Shaw. Cole didn't play enough games with Chelsea this season.
Pick the best performance with less experience for risk or pick the experience ones for safe . I'll go for the risk.

Hart
Glen Cahill Jagielka Baines
Wilshere Gerrard Henderson
Sterling Sturridge Welbeck

Rooney never do well with International match, while Welbeck always does really well. If I'm Hodgson, I'll have balls to drop Rooney. Though Hodgson is probably going to use him anyway. So I can see 4231 formation with Rooney behind Sturridge replacing Henderson.

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself
Gerrard and Henderson midfield would be taken apart by any decent team. They're a prime reason as to why Liverpool are so average defensively.

Barney

Supports
Liverpool
Gerrard and Henderson midfield would be taken apart by any decent team. They're a prime reason as to why Liverpool are so average defensively.
Johnson and Flanagan are the two primary reasons for our defensive woes IMO.

KM

Johnson and Flanagan are the two primary reasons for our defensive woes IMO.
Part of the reason but Gerrard was never great defensively and Henderson is more of a box to box. I personally think that a midfield of Henderson, Gerrard and Carrick would be better.

Barney

Supports
Liverpool
Part of the reason but Gerrard was never great defensively and Henderson is more of a box to box. I personally think that a midfield of Henderson, Gerrard and Carrick would be better.
Been fine defensively since he's moved into his new role.

KM

Not for the Ba goal though :D

Barney

Supports
Liverpool
Not for the Ba goal though :D
:lol:

Previously I would agree that he hasn't been great defensively. He used to be prone to playing a pass that would put us under immediate pressure. This season he's become more disciplined and hasn't taken as many risks in dangerous positions.

JSMHE

Jones has to go, surely?
I was thinking about Jones. But I feel sorry for other defenders like Shawcross or Dawson or Caulker since Jones himself hasn't done anything great to be deserved a call.

JSMHE

Nothing they have done nothing this season. So does Jones has done nothing much this season. That's why it's going to be hard to choose which one. It's about the performance this season. They work hard, play a lot of games to be called in England national team. It's not about what they can do in the past or in the future. Walker and Glen are more than enough for right back option. The midfield option looks solid and enough for numbers.

saivet

Gk: Hart, Ruddy, Forster
CB: Cahill, Jagielka, Smalling
RB: Walker, Glen
LB: Baines, Shaw
CM: Wilshere, Gerrard, Barkley, Henderson, Barry
Wing: Sterling, Ox, Lallana
ST: Rooney, Sturridge, Welbeck, Lambert

Need one more player. I can't decided who's going to be the 23rd man. It's a little bit unfair if I pick Carrick ahead of Barry since Barry has done well with Everton and also Everton has done much better than United.
It's unfair as well if Hodgson picked Cole ahead of Shaw. Cole didn't play enough games with Chelsea this season.
Pick the best performance with less experience for risk or pick the experience ones for safe . I'll go for the risk.

Hart
Glen Cahill Jagielka Baines
Wilshere Gerrard Henderson
Sterling Sturridge Welbeck

Rooney never do well with International match, while Welbeck always does really well. If I'm Hodgson, I'll have balls to drop Rooney. Though Hodgson is probably going to use him anyway. So I can see 4231 formation with Rooney behind Sturridge replacing Henderson.
Jones should be the final man in the squad. I think versatility is overrated but well, he can provide it.

Agree with the first 11 too.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
I wouldn't be taking Carrick or Cleverley. Carrick has been so lethargic for us this season, how the hell will he cope with the heat of Brazil. Also to be honest their form doesn't warrant their selection.

LR7

I'd rather Carrick got a rest tbh. I also can't understand why people think Welbeck doesn't deserve a spot. He was regularly getting picked when he scored a sum total of 2 goals last season and yet this season when he's scored 10 in far fewer minutes he should be dropped? It's baffling. In his only run of games up front for us he was scoring a goal a game at one point where he had 6 in 6 (or thereabouts) when Rooney and RvP were injured before getting banished back to the wing/bench. Him and Januzaj carried the team in that spell. Definitely deserves a place as he's always performed and scored goals regularly in an England shirt. It was interesting that Hodgson called that inside left position 'the Welbeck role' a few weeks ago.

People put Smalling ahead of Jones but Jones is more versatile, he gives Roy an option in 3 positions and is far more comfortable on the ball. Earlier in the season he was probably our best CM.

united_99

Takes pleasure in other people's pain
Rooney and Welbeck will go for sure. At least one of Smalling and Jones will go, maybe both.

I doubt Cleverley and Carrick will go.

Señor

Humongous twit who can't read
Don't we have a decent right back at all? Even Liverpool fans are criticising Johnson and Flanagan. Walker is Walker (plus he's injured anyway, isn't he) and the less said about Smalling and Jones at right back, the better.

LR7

I don't think Jones should be put in the same category as Samlling at RB.

Nick 0208 Ldn

News 24
Regarding the discussion on centre backs - i should think that Curtis Davies is ahead of such as Dawson and Shawcross.

Don't we have a decent right back at all? Even Liverpool fans are criticising Johnson and Flanagan. Walker is Walker (plus he's injured anyway, isn't he) and the less said about Smalling and Jones at right back, the better.
Yes and no, although there are possible alternatives none of them have actually been tested, so it's probably better to go with a known quantity at such a late stage in proceedings.

Lowten hasn't trained on from what was a promising 2012/13 or at least not to my knowledge, and in any event he was still trailing behind the more obvious candidate in Clyne.

It is unfortunate that Smalling can't bring more to the table in an attacking sense for his defensive qualities are adequate enough, and i can't like the way that both Johnson adn Walker rely on their pace to get themselves of a scrape all of their own making.

Rowem

gently, down the stream
I don't think Jones should be put in the same category as Samlling at RB.
Agree. Offensively he is much better than Smalling, he's much more mobile and better on the ball.

Say we got to the knockout stages and had to play Portugal (with Ronaldo presumably playing LW?) - then Jones would be my first choice pick at right back. Walker or Johnson wouldn't be able to cope with it - nor would they be able to cope against players like Neymar, Ribery, Robben, Silva etc. In contrast we've seen Jones keep Ribery and Ronaldo fairly quiet in games.