Roy Hodgson | Appointed England Manager

Alock1

Wears XXXL shirts and can't type ellipses
It does wonders to Steve Bruce!

B20

HEY EVERYONE I IGNORE SOMEONE LOOK AT ME
Supports
Liverpool
"Hodgson's stay at Inter destroyed me," Roberto Carlos told planetfootball. "He played me in midfield and I had to consider that there was a chance that this would ruin my career in the national side.

"It's not that I did not have a good relationship with Hodgson. It is just that Hodgson doesn't know much about football.

"When Inter lost in the Uefa Cup final against Schalke in '96, it was purely because of Hodgson.

"Fabio Capello [who signed the player for Real from Inter] was different - so different - and when I moved to Madrid I did it because of him.

"He is the most important coach I have had in my life."

JulesWinnfield

West Brom Fan
I'm not sure what exactly is newsworthy about that:

"Manchester United are one of the few teams that have had a lot of English players but football players have to accept their England careers are tied up with their club careers.

"If it's not going well in their clubs, and it's not going well for them, it does put your position as a national team player under some sort of threat.

"It is the worst part of the job. It's a major downside that I can only take 23."
What exactly would you expect him to say? I know people want to jump on every quote he's made to make out he's really stupid but its an eminently really sensible answer to give.

alastair

ignorant
I don't really see how Jones or Welbeck should go. Maybe Jones as a 4th reserve.

Take Rooney and Sturridge as the main strikers. Play one of them regularly and pack the midfield behind him. No need for a 3rd striker.

Dominos

I don't really see how Jones or Welbeck should go. Maybe Jones as a 4th reserve.

Take Rooney and Sturridge as the main strikers. Play one of them regularly and pack the midfield behind him. No need for a 3rd striker.
Mental. If one gets injured we've not got any alternatives.

3 strikers is the right amount. That's ignoring the fact that he likes to play with 2 strikers anyway.

alastair

ignorant
See, I'm not convinced Welbeck has been excellent for England.

He's been decent. He's scored some goals. He wouldn't be the first player to score more at international level than club level though, principally because the majority of goals have come against weaker opposition than United play week in week out.

Sturridge has surpassed him this season and is demonstrating his full talent.

Jones, in my view, is not a top class defender and has never been.

RustyS

He's been decent. He's scored some goals. He wouldn't be the first player to score more at international level than club level though, principally because the majority of goals have come against weaker opposition than United play week in week out.

You don't look at names in isolation but rather in comparison with your other options. If you don't want to take Jones, then who are you taking for the CB and RB positions? Similarly for Welbeck, it is never a case of either him or Sturridge. Both will be going to the WC.

alastair

ignorant
You don't look at names in isolation but rather in comparison with your other options. If you don't want to take Jones, then who are you taking for the CB and RB positions? Similarly for Welbeck, it is never a case of either him or Sturridge. Both will be going to the WC.
It depends on your approach - I accept what you're saying is probably Hodgson's view too.

I don't see the need to take 3 strikers if you're going to play 1. Hodgson probably won't, but we should set up 4-5-1 with one of Sturridge or Rooney up front.

Behind whoever is chosen, we should have an array of midfield talents, like Sterling, Barkley and Lallana.

The World Cup is seven games long. There really isn't much need for 3 strikers, in my view.

Glanville95

Knowing the national teams history of injuries, taking just the two strikers would be a massive, massive gamble. Not too dismiss potential suspensions which could happen to any player in a major competition, even if we aren't expected to progress far.

Red Dreams

Across the Universe....from Old Trafford.

Welbeck is proven at international level. simple.

Jones is class. Roy would do himself a big favour to take him along.

Zak Smith

Welbecks record for English is terrific, you have to take a 3rd striker and who deserves it more? He's taken his opportunities out on the wing very well at United this season.

As for Jones he's the best utility player England have and the future of the English defence. The other defenders being talked about have years on him. What CB does look "top class" at 22, especially when he's used so regularly in other positions at club level.

United22

Don't be stupid. You seem to be judging him on his United form (which has been pretty decent to be honest).

alastair

ignorant
Welbeck is proven at international level. simple.

Jones is class. Roy would do himself a big favour to take him along.
No, it isn't that simple. International level means nothing if you're banging them in against Montenegro.

And I think even United fans are beginning to realise that Jones has been slightly over-hyped.

Red Dreams

Welbecks record for English is terrific, you have to take a 3rd striker and who deserves it more? He's taken his opportunities out on the wing very well at United this season.

As for Jones he's the best utility player England have and the future of the English defence. The other defenders being talked about have years on him. What CB does look "top class" at 22, especially when he's used so regularly in other positions at club level.
well of course. common sense.

RustyS

It depends on your approach - I accept what you're saying is probably Hodgson's view too.

I don't see the need to take 3 strikers if you're going to play 1. Hodgson probably won't, but we should set up 4-5-1 with one of Sturridge or Rooney up front.

Behind whoever is chosen, we should have an array of midfield talents, like Sterling, Barkley and Lallana.

The World Cup is seven games long. There really isn't much need for 3 strikers, in my view.
The problem is that you simply solve one problem and end up facing another. If Rooney is the lone striker, then who do you play in the three midfield positions? Barkley, Gerrard and Wilshere are the best three midfielders but that doesn't sound solid defensively. If England had a good DM, then that would be the way to go. I would play the DM with Barkley and Wilshere but there isn't one.

What will more likely happen is that Rooney will play in the hole, with Sturridge in the striker position. Welbeck, Lallana, Ox, Sterling will have to play on the wings in some combination.

Red Dreams

No, it isn't that simple. International level means nothing if you're banging them in against Montenegro.

And I think even United fans are beginning to realise that Jones has been slightly over-hyped.
hmmmm. you need to understand the game a little more.....going by your comments about Jones. Your comments about Welbeck seem a little scouse influenced.....

Lu Tze

The problem is that you simply solve one problem and end up facing another. If Rooney is the lone striker, then who do you play in the three midfield positions? Barkley, Gerrard and Wilshere are the best three midfielders but that doesn't sound solid defensively. If England had a good DM, then that would be the way to go. I would play the DM with Barkley and Wilshere but there isn't one.

What will more likely happen is that Rooney will play in the hole, with Sturridge in the striker position. Welbeck, Lallana, Ox, Sterling will have to play on the wings in some combination.
You play Gerrard with Henderson and Wilshere in a 3. With Rooney/Sturridge/Sterling as the attacking 3, or swap Rooney out for Welbeck and have an incredibly pacy front 3.

Glanville95

Welbeck has been one of England's best performers over the past couple of years. The likes of Barkley, Sterling and Lallana may be the future of the national teams and an indication of us taking on a more continental approach, but they are still unknown quantities on the international stage. Personally, I would find bringing just two strikers illogical when we aren't exactly stacked with an abundance of midfield quality.

It would seem an even stranger decision to exclude Welbeck, if you were to advocate Milner's inclusion or a similar hard-working, utility player when Welbeck can do just as well in that regard while providing a better attacking outlet.

alastair

ignorant

Good points.

There might be a recall for someone like Barry to fill in that DM position so that Barkley and Gerrard can play in front. Or they'll get Gerrard to do it, which would be a disaster.

I'm not convinced Chamberlain is ready for the World Cup but Roy seems to love him.

Basically it's going to be a nightmare with players out of position everywhere, almost certainly.

Nogbadthebad

Welbeck's not a bad player, but if he goes, it's as 3rd choice. I'm arguing that a 3rd choice isn't massively necessary over seven games.
If we were in your scenario an dplaying a lone striker maybe.

But we arent. We are in Hodgson Land. And England will be playing 442. And we will take 4 strikers, Rooney, Wellbeck, Sturridge and a big man, whichever is media flavour of the month.

United22

Welbeck's not a bad player, but if he goes, it's as 3rd choice. I'm arguing that a 3rd choice isn't massively necessary over seven games.
In one of England's best performance in the qualifiers he played on the left with Rooney and Sturridge up top

Nick 0208 Ldn

News 24
Since when was Welbek's position under thread? Of all of United's players he is the most deserving of a place in the squad.

He's chipped in with ten goals for United and rarely if ever has a bad game for the NT, indeed he has probably been more convincing than those strikers ahead of him in the pecking order.

Perhaps Alastair missed the second half against Denmark though, in which England demonstrated some of its most fluid attacking football with a front four of: Lallana, Welbeck, Sturridge and Sterling.

I don't think Carrick will go however, and whether both Smalling and Jones get a spot in the 23 may also be in doubt [the two of them should be in the 30 mind].

Last edited:

United22

Which one was that? I remember each and every performance being completely awful.
Well to be fair there is a spectrum for England from absolutely shite to half decent , and this performance was half decent. It was the first half of England vs Poland (the 2-0 win). Then we brought fat Frankie on for Carrick and lost control of the game slightly

alastair

ignorant
The second half v Denmark. I literally do not even remember it.

I'd take Carrick. I'd also take Smalling. Both, if used properly, would be very useful.