Roy Keane

Fully Fledged

It's only unforgivable if you don't like the player?

Is Scholes refusing to pay a match unforgivable?

Ruud asking for a transfer just before the FA Cup Final unforgivable?

Rooney wanting out because Chelsea and City had more money unforgivable?

Ronny messed up everyone knows it and he deserves to be punished. It's not unforgivable though just because you have a problem with him
Of course it's not. The fact that it was the second time he left the stadium early in a couple of months is troubling though. It also lends credence to the people who were saying that Ronaldo was the problem last season. The only difference is that ETH has been given the backing to deal with it.

The thing we are waiting to see is if he's not started next match or is taken off will he act out again?

JadoreSox

It's only unforgivable if you don't like the player?

Is Scholes refusing to pay a match unforgivable?

Ruud asking for a transfer just before the FA Cup Final unforgivable?

Rooney wanting out because Chelsea and City had more money unforgivable?

Ronny messed up everyone knows it and he deserves to be punished. It's not unforgivable though just because you have a problem with him
This is different, he's 37 which means his ea sports rating goes down.

Infestissumam

I’m actually surprised at his love for Ronaldo . I’d have thought he’d be the exact type of player Keane would have no time for . ( playing for his own accolades , not a team player , managers allowing him not to track back hence giving his team mates having to do his job )
at first, it surprised me too. But if you think back at how his own United career ended and what happened with Irelands NT, it's not that surprising. He probably sees a bit of himself in all of what's going with Ronaldo.

either way, some embarrassing takes from Keane. If he can't see how Ronaldo has declined and how United are playing better without him, I don't know what to tell him.

Paddymcc

Love Keane as a player but Keane's stance on this is exactly why he's a failure as a manager.

He's knows he's wrong, won't admit it and doubles down in the hope Ronaldo will bag a goal or two and he can't sit there looking smug.

How anyone can claim united are better with Ronaldo is either a liar or an idiot.

MiceOnMeth

When asked who the top 3 players in the league are Keane said Ronaldo first :lol: He's either a massive WUM or a bigger Ronaldo fanboy than anyone on the caf

Globule

signature/tagline creator extraordinaire
I'm sure he would have the same view of it if Maguire or De Gea did something like that. :rolleyes:

rabies

He never played 90 mins again.
Because he had a dodgy knee, he finished the rest of that game and then played 4 days later FFS!! Can’t be saying Keane ended his career, sick of hearing people say that.

“The myth persists, though, that Keane not only injured Haaland, but also ended his career.

It's not true. Haaland finished the game in question and also played half of a Norway friendly four days later before racking up 68 minutes of Leeds' next league game”
https://www.goal.com/en-gb/amp/news...nge-haalands-career/fmtobupz9vw21v73ve7ruztcn

JustCoco

Supports
Red Devils
Is it just me that thinks Roy's point was valid?

He hasn't said Ronaldo shouldn't be punished. He said he should.
It seems everyone is trying to argue Ronaldo should be completely banished.
Whereas Roy is saying, No, other people have done similar things and were fined/punished and then started games.

We don't have a fit number 9, Ronaldo serves his punishment and then what? Not play him over Rashford as a Striker?

He also said he understands why Ronaldo would feel frustrated, not that he was right.

Feels like everyone is going way overboard.

Stadjer

I’m actually surprised at his love for Ronaldo . I’d have thought he’d be the exact type of player Keane would have no time for . ( playing for his own accolades , not a team player , managers allowing him not to track back hence giving his team mates having to do his job )
Roy Keane loves a player with a 'proper work ethic'. He has seen Ronaldo train and be obsessed about improving as a player. That is where Keane became a Ronaldo fan.

Roy Keane the player, above all, wanted to win, he knows giving Ronaldo that extra freedom (or allow Cantona certain freedoms) would be good for the team and he would just work harder for them so they all win. Current Ronaldo isnt worth those extra freedoms though. Ronaldo first United period or prime Ronaldo at Madrid was worth that extra freedom.

Keane is just a massive Ronaldo fan. After the Everton game he named Haaland, de Bruyne.... and Ronaldo the three best players in the league. Really says it all how far from reality he is when discussing Ronaldo. He just doesnt want to see the decline of Ronaldo. He is Roy Keane the Manchester United legend but his opinion is the same as a Ronaldo7GOAT or Ronaldo7MyReligion type of twitter account.

He might even be a bigger and more dedicated Ronaldo fan than Ronaldo his own sister....

RORY65

He never played 90 mins again.
It was his other knee that ended his career, he'd been having issues with it for months before that game.

With regards to this it's in part because Keane loves Ronaldo, presumably his work ethic as a young player really impressed Keane and he's always been effusive in his praise of him, but also he's projecting bitterness about how his own time at United ended on to Ronaldo. If Keane had done that interview when he was 27 the club would have addressed it internally and moved on but he did it when he was dispensable, the same way that if Ronaldo was 27 he wouldn't be on the bench to begin with and even if he was and then refused to come on the club would addressed it in-house and moved on. The issue is you can't behave like that when your value is already diminished.

FriedClams

I'm sure he would have the same view of it if Maguire or De Gea did something like that. :rolleyes:
not a good comparison. Roy clearly achieved more than de gea and Maguire combined, so he has no respect. Ronaldo far surpassed anything keane ever did for club, country and an individual basis… he respects that obviously, but it’s to the point where it’s stupid now Because ronaldo is clearly shot as a top level player.

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
I think when comparing other examples of players refusing to play, we have to remember that Ronaldo did it in public. Behind closed doors, it's slightly different.

Furthermore, Ronaldo is not a young player, he's a seasoned pro and should be setting an example to younger players. Doing what he did is exactly what you shouldn't be doing.

If we were speaking about a younger player, we might drop him, fine him and move on but Ronaldo's antics come on the back of him publically wanting out and refusing to show up to pre-season.

He's doing everything you shouldn't do as a pro and he's not even justifying his antics on the pitch.

Fully Fledged

Because he had a dodgy knee, he finished the rest of that game and then played 4 days later FFS!! Can’t be saying Keane ended his career, sick of hearing people say that.

https://www.goal.com/en-gb/amp/news...nge-haalands-career/fmtobupz9vw21v73ve7ruztcn
Haaland was ultimately forced to retire due to injury in 2003 – two years later – and when later asked about the last impacting of Keane's challenge, he told the Daily Mail: "The knee still hurts, that isn’t going to go away. I have to accept that.

"Did that tackle end my career? Well, I never played a full game again, did I? It seems like a great coincidence, don’t you think?"

Fully Fledged

Whereas Roy is saying, No, other people have done similar things and were fined/punished and then started games.

We don't have a fit number 9, Ronaldo serves his punishment and then what? Not play him over Rashford as a Striker?

He also said he understands why Ronaldo would feel frustrated, not that he was right.

No there are a few more delusional people in here as well.

Boondog

Love Keane as a player but Keane's stance on this is exactly why he's a failure as a manager.

He's knows he's wrong, won't admit it and doubles down in the hope Ronaldo will bag a goal or two and he can't sit there looking smug.

How anyone can claim united are better with Ronaldo is either a liar or an idiot.
Roy's a fan now. He's in it with us. So I don't hold his take against him by any stretch.

Ten years from now none of this Ronaldo shite will mean anything. And I say that while admitting I've lost a ton of respect for Ronaldo. I can't condone him being so selfish no matter how great he was. So I think the overall fan base take is good. But seeing a guy like Roy hold onto that friendship they have and giving him the benefit of the doubt is fine by me.

RedStarUnited

If im ETH, id rather struggle to score but have everything else in my team working out.

Ronaldo is not the future.

Behind the right goal post as "Whiteside shoots!"

RORY65

He also later said …

“I don’t blame him. I never actually said he finished my career. It was my last full game in England…”
It wasn't even the same knee that ended his career. Keane's challenge was on his right knee, City and Haaland had considered suing but then it emerged that Haaland had stated on his own personal website that his left knee had been causing him trouble for months (he literally had strapping on it during that game) and that was the one that required surgery from which he never fully recovered.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
Love Roy but he lost the plot here. He actually looked a bit rattled and came out with a load of absolute waffle.

Gary was bang on. Even Jimmy had a rare solid point about us.

Keane has a funny soft spot for Ronaldo and can't look past it.

JustCoco

Supports
Red Devils
If im ETH, id rather struggle to score but have everything else in my team working out.

Ronaldo is not the future.
Well at his age, of course he's not the future. Bit of a daft comment really.

Why exactly would you never play him again?
I assume you're disgusted that RVN, Scholes, Cantona, Ferdinand, Rooney or others played for United too?

Last edited:

Chief123

The problem is Keane is rambling on with the same narrative he’s had about Ronaldo for a few weeks. He brings it up every time he has the opportunity.

This incident is bizarre because Keane and Neville are actually agreeing that Ronaldo was wrong to do what he did and he deserved to be fined.

But then Keane wants to still have a rant about the situation with side points which weren’t necessary. Keane just wants to keep making the point that he thinks Ronaldo should play every game when available and that he was disrespected by the club. That’s where Keane is completely wrong in my view.

Neville is correct in saying Ronaldo needs to accept he’s not first choice and that we play better without him. Keane is refusing to accept that and wants to rant about that point everytime Ronaldo is discussed.

Keane also bizarrely has created a narrative in his head that ETH deserves to be criticised for the majority of these incidents and seems to have a negative opinion of his tenure so far.

KeanoMagicHat

Keane is just projecting about his own acrimonious ending at United. As a player, Keane was a rebel from the rebel county in Ireland. But ultimately United were right to sack Keane at the time and right to marginalise Ronaldo now. Both were/are ageing players that are more hassle than they are worth. Keane is still very bitter about how he was treated and will see similarities in Ronaldo this season.

Scandi Red

Hates Music.
The only way for Keane to be more biased on this topic is if Ronaldo somehow turned out to be related to Denis Irwin

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
Keane is just projecting about his own acrimonious ending at United. As a player, Keane was a rebel from the rebel county in Ireland. But ultimately United were right to sack Keane at the time and right to marginalise Ronaldo now. Both were/are ageing players that are more hassle than they are worth. Keane is still very bitter about how he was treated and will see similarities in Ronaldo this season.
It makes sense. He has a little bit of trauma if after such a long time still thinking about it.

V.O.

Last Man Standing finalist 2019/20
Love Roy but he lost the plot here. He actually looked a bit rattled and came out with a load of absolute waffle.
If I may do a bit of stupid, half-arsed armchair psychology for a minute... I think Roy has some slight Borderline Personality Disorder-type tendencies.

He seems to have in his head that saying anything negative about somebody he likes or positive about someone he doesn't like is the same as admitting that he was wrong about the person, because everything is so black and white to him - and being wrong is unacceptable, because if he's wrong, that must mean he's stupid because only stupid people can be wrong because everything is black and white.

He was the same on some 'all time XI' type thing I watched where he filled the whole thing with his mates (even when pretty clearly undeserved) and omitted anybody he'd ever fallen out with. As soon as he was challenged on any of the picks, he immediately started doing the type of mental gymnastics and rambling we see in that clip about Ronaldo.

Would also explain why he holds grudges for literal decades, has a temper like a volcano, and had multiple high profile massive fallings out with people.

Foxbatt

The problem is Keane is rambling on with the same narrative he’s had about Ronaldo for a few weeks. He brings it up every time he has the opportunity.

This incident is bizarre because Keane and Neville are actually agreeing that Ronaldo was wrong to do what he did and he deserved to be fined.

But then Keane wants to still have a rant about the situation with side points which weren’t necessary. Keane just wants to keep making the point that he thinks Ronaldo should play every game when available and that he was disrespected by the club. That’s where Keane is completely wrong in my view.

Neville is correct in saying Ronaldo needs to accept he’s not first choice and that we play better without him. Keane is refusing to accept that and wants to rant about that point everytime Ronaldo is discussed.

Keane also bizarrely has created a narrative in his head that ETH deserves to be criticised for the majority of these incidents and seems to have a negative opinion of his tenure so far.
He has completely gone mad. Even criticized the Chelsea keeper for getting a hand to the ball and not saving it. He should not be a pundit anymore. When they sound so idiotic it is time that the producers have a word with them. I do not care if he is the best player in the world, if the manager does not want him then he does not play. No player is bigger than the manager. No matter how much he has won as a player.

Chief123

He has completely gone mad. Even criticized the Chelsea keeper for getting a hand to the ball and not saving it. He should not be a pundit anymore. When they sound so idiotic it is time that the producers have a word with them. I do not care if he is the best player in the world, if the manager does not want him then he does not play. No player is bigger than the manager. No matter how much he has won as a player.
His constant digs at other players in the team are annoying too. Like when he said Rashford should have done better with the chance in the first half and that “Ronaldo would have probably scored that”. It’s like he’s been watching with his eyes closed when Ronaldo missed a shed load of chances away to a pub Cyprus team and then was anonymous against Newcastle. Rashford is getting into positions and opportunities which Ronaldo just can’t anymore.

Red4Ever

Cork; home of Cantwell, Irwin, Keane and Vidic-wel
this 100%

Foxbatt

His constant digs at other players in the team are annoying too. Like when he said Rashford should have done better with the chance in the first half and that “Ronaldo would have probably scored that”. It’s like he’s been watching with his eyes closed when Ronaldo missed a shed load of chances away to a pub Cyprus team and then was anonymous against Newcastle. Rashford is getting into positions and opportunities which Ronaldo just can’t anymore.
Yes he still sees Ronaldo as a teenager. Not the grandfather he is going to be soon. we may as well wheel out Denis Law and Sir Bobby, because at one time they were the best players. Ronaldo would probably do better than Rashford for that chance but Ronaldo is not going to be able to get into that position like Rashford did.

Sultan

Gentleness adorns everything
The sooner Keane gets a job managing a team the better for TV audiences. Keane was trying to justify his past misdemeanours at the club indirectly in that debate with Neville. Generally, Neville backs off arguing too much with Keane but he was not having today.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Keane said Scholesy refused to play a game for United, he got back in, Rio missed a drugs test, got back in, Eric kicked a fan, got back in.
I think Ronaldo's ability to get "back in" is severely hampered by not being of the desired level right now unlike those players.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Wow, this is the first time I've heard an ex Utd player say "Utd are better without Ronaldo". Fair play to Neville! Roy Keane struggled to accept that point.

That's actually a really hard watch. Like seeing that uncle you really like come across as if he's lost his marbles. Fair play to Neville and Kimmy for talking some sense.

Varun

Staff
That's actually a really hard watch. Like seeing that uncle you really like come across as if he's lost his marbles. Fair play to Neville and Kimmy for talking some sense.
Yes :lol:. Beyond clueless and just rambling about his favorite child

Varun

Staff
Good point