Rugby 2019 Discussion

Xaviesta

Supports
Barcelona
I had a dream this morning that i was drinking out of the Bledisloe Cup. A bit early in the year for a dream like that.

Anyway, looking forward to the two 6 Nations games not involving Italy this weekend. Ireland to win a tense, low scoring game in Dublin while i fancy Wales to get their campaign off to a winning start in Paris.

diarm

Bit of a surprise this morning in that apparently Robbie Henshaw is going to start at fullback for Ireland against England this weekend!

He hasn't played there for club or country in years but maybe Joe is going to look at some outside the box options during this 6N as both the Times and the Independent are reporting the same team:

1 Healy
2 Best
3 Furlong
4 Toner
5 Ryan
6 O'Mahony
7 Van der Flier
8 Stander
9 Murray
10 Sexton
11 Earls
12 Bundee Aki
13 Ringrose
14 Stockdale
15 Henshaw

unchanged_lineup

Tarheel Tech Wizard
Leaving A Breakfast On All Of Your Doorsteps
Supports
Janet jazz jazz jam
Bit of a surprise this morning in that apparently Robbie Henshaw is going to start at fullback for Ireland against England this weekend!

He hasn't played there for club or country in years but maybe Joe is going to look at some outside the box options during this 6N as both the Times and the Independent are reporting the same team:

1 Healy
2 Best
3 Furlong
4 Toner
5 Ryan
6 O'Mahony
7 Van der Flier
8 Stander
9 Murray
10 Sexton
11 Earls
12 Bundee Aki
13 Ringrose
14 Stockdale
15 Henshaw
Is that the team! I wasn't expecting it today

Just a thought - Henshaw was out during the Nov Internationals, wasn't he? Schmidt might have tried it out then if he was available, so perhaps this is part of the plan for the WC. This might be bad news for the utility backs looking to get in on the basis of covering multiple positions if Kearney, Larmour and Henshaw are considered the full-back options. Potentially good news for Tom Farrell though if he keeps up his current form!

Last edited:

diarm

Is that the team! I wasn't expecting it today
It's not officially announced but both Cummiskey in the Times and O'Connor in the Independent had it in their articles this morning. Either they got drunk together last night and convinced themselves it would be or they've been told something.

unchanged_lineup

Tarheel Tech Wizard
Supports
Janet jazz jazz jam
It's not officially announced but both Cummiskey in the Times and O'Connor in the Independent had it in their articles this morning. Either they got drunk together last night and convinced themselves it would be or they've been told something.
I'm doubtful, but as I edited above, this might have been something Schmidt had in mind to try for a while. It reminds me a little bit of Payne coming back into the picture against England 2 years ago to deny them the grand slam.

diarm

I'm doubtful, but as I edited above, this might have been something Schmidt had in mind to try for a while. It reminds me a little bit of Payne coming back into the picture against England 2 years ago to deny them the grand slam.
I remember there were rumours about him starting a game at fullback in the autumn before he got injured so you could well be right. It's just seriously ballsy to then try it against England!

I suppose though if Kearney isn't a 100% and Conway, Larmour and Addison haven't really played mmuch at FB this season, Joe sees it as worth the gamble!

unchanged_lineup

Tarheel Tech Wizard
Supports
Janet jazz jazz jam
I remember there were rumours about him starting a game at fullback in the autumn before he got injured so you could well be right. It's just seriously ballsy to then try it against England!

I suppose though if Kearney isn't a 100% and Conway, Larmour and Addison haven't really played mmuch at FB this season, Joe sees it as worth the gamble!
Conway and Addison are the two I'd be thinking who might be a bit concerned about this, although Addison is playing superbly too in the matches I've seen. It'd be really interesting if this works and the shootout for the WC is for an extra centre, which is a spot in the team I think most people would have thought there wasn't going to be much room considering the dead certs of Henshaw, Aki and Ringrose. Hence I can dream about four to five Connacht players going to the world cup :lol:

kidbob

Interesting choice by Joe. Henshaw is a defensive animal at 12 but patchy at 13 so it'll be interesting to see how it works out. Would certainly solve fitting him, Aki and Ringrose in at times if it turns out to be OK. I'm glad Joe is experimenting and hope that Joey and a few others get proper minutes in this 6 nations. I couldn't care less about how the results go in this, it has to be all about preparing for the World Cup and seeing what does and doesn't work against other rivals. I'd sacrifice winning the 6 nations and Leinster winning the Pro 14 and Europe if it means Ireland have a fully fit squad that performs to it's capabilities going into the World Cup.

Camy89

Love Island obsessive
Buzzing for the 6 Nations. Gonna be in Galway for Ireland v England on Saturday any tips on where to go to watch it?

Also will be in Dublin for Scotland v Ireland. Proudly sporting my Scottish top but really looking forward to the banter. Any tips on where to go in Dublin to watch it? (Will be with other half for both occasions).

diarm

Jaysus, lads. We might be in trouble here :(
I was laughing at this the other day! In the current climate of unfortunate red cards for lacking awareness of opposition players during aerial collisions, surely training your players to ignore distractions under the high ball isn't the smartest move?

kidbob

Buzzing for the 6 Nations. Gonna be in Galway for Ireland v England on Saturday any tips on where to go to watch it?

Also will be in Dublin for Scotland v Ireland. Proudly sporting my Scottish top but really looking forward to the banter. Any tips on where to go in Dublin to watch it? (Will be with other half for both occasions).
I'm a dive bar type guy man so no help from me I'm afraid. I'd suggest starting a general thread about this to get more attention from people in the know. Have a great time either way!

Edit: Rosion Dubh in Galway was once great for music and still could be if you like that type of thing. But most places in Galway will have good craic on the go.

unchanged_lineup

Tarheel Tech Wizard
Supports
Janet jazz jazz jam

What kind of place do you want? If you want jammed, buzzing atmosphere type place then The Kings Head, The Quays, The Dail, An Pucan and 1520 will all be wedged and have lots of screens and are all central. The Oslo in Salthill is good too. For smaller auld lad buzz places, I usually go to Freeneys or The Dew Drop Inn. The Connacht supporters pub is Rabbittes. There are loads of options really.

diarm

Fairly good English side named. Probably the first time in years I've seen them put out a backrowers with an actual 6, an actual 7 and an actual 8 in it all at the same time!

Good locks, centres and wingers but I think we can get at them in the front row, half backs and maybe Daly at FB as well.

Is Owen Farrell definitely 100% fit?

diarm

15. Elliot Daly (Wasps)
14. Jonny May (Leicester Tigers)
13. Henry Slade (Exeter Chiefs)
12. Man Utd Tuiagi (Leicester Tigers)
11. Jack Nowell (Exeter Chiefs)
10. Owen Farrell (Saracens — captain)
9. Ben Youngs (Leicester Tigers)

1. Mako Vunipola (Saracens)
2. Jamie George (Saracens)
3. Kyle Sinckler (Harlequins)
4. Maro Itoje (Saracens)
5. George Kruis (Saracens)
6. Mark Wilson (Newcastle Falcons)
7. Tom Curry (Sale Sharks)
8. Billy Vunipola (Saracens)

16. Luke Cowan-Dickie (Exeter Chiefs)
17. Ellis Genge (Leicester Tigers)
18. Harry Williams (Exeter Chiefs)
19. Courtney Lawes (Northampton Saints)
20. Nathan Hughes (Wasps)
21. Dan Robson (Wasps)
22. George Ford (Leicester Tigers)
23. Chris Ashton (Sale Sharks)

unchanged_lineup

Tarheel Tech Wizard
Supports
Janet jazz jazz jam
15. Elliot Daly (Wasps)
14. Jonny May (Leicester Tigers)
13. Henry Slade (Exeter Chiefs)
12. Man Utd Tuiagi (Leicester Tigers)
11. Jack Nowell (Exeter Chiefs)
10. Owen Farrell (Saracens — captain)
9. Ben Youngs (Leicester Tigers)

1. Mako Vunipola (Saracens)
2. Jamie George (Saracens)
3. Kyle Sinckler (Harlequins)
4. Maro Itoje (Saracens)
5. George Kruis (Saracens)
6. Mark Wilson (Newcastle Falcons)
7. Tom Curry (Sale Sharks)
8. Billy Vunipola (Saracens)

16. Luke Cowan-Dickie (Exeter Chiefs)
17. Ellis Genge (Leicester Tigers)
18. Harry Williams (Exeter Chiefs)
19. Courtney Lawes (Northampton Saints)
20. Nathan Hughes (Wasps)
21. Dan Robson (Wasps)
22. George Ford (Leicester Tigers)
23. Chris Ashton (Sale Sharks)

:)

(it did it to me before too)

freeurmind

weak willed
Wales and England the only 6 Nation teams with no south Africans in the squad.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Apparently Kearney was pretty dreadful in his comeback match. He’s at an age where it will take him that bit longer to get back up to speed. I’d like to see Larmour get a crack at 15 when we play Italy (or play that position off the bench in othee fixtures)

unchanged_lineup

Tarheel Tech Wizard
Supports
Janet jazz jazz jam
Apparently Kearney was pretty dreadful in his comeback match. He’s at an age where it will take him that bit longer to get back up to speed. I’d like to see Larmour get a crack at 15 when we play Italy (or play that position off the bench in othee fixtures)
I'd read he was at fault for a try but I didn't watch that match. Schmidt was very diplomatic in the press conference today.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
When you play against France, what do you expect? I'm already upset by tonight's performance.

kidbob

We need Carberry, Larmour and Cooney all starting at least 2 games and one of those against France or Wales. This 6 nations should be less about winning and more about blooding these guys for the World Cup. Our forwards are in great nick and even the young lads are experienced but we need to be prepared for losing Murray or Sexton. Also if all goes well in the group stages then those 2 will only need to play 2 games at that stage.

unchanged_lineup

Tarheel Tech Wizard
Supports
Janet jazz jazz jam
We need Carberry, Larmour and Cooney all starting at least 2 games and one of those against France or Wales. This 6 nations should be less about winning and more about blooding these guys for the World Cup. Our forwards are in great nick and even the young lads are experienced but we need to be prepared for losing Murray or Sexton. Also if all goes well in the group stages then those 2 will only need to play 2 games at that stage.
Fingers crossed Marmion comes back in good nick and that would help with 9 - he should be back very soon I think. Cooney will probably get game time tomorrow I reckon. Actually, all three probably will.

Xaviesta

Supports
Barcelona
I'm hoping Wales vs Ireland on the final weekend is the grand slam, triple crown 6 Nations decider all in one.

With the World Cup in mind, I'm fine Wales going on a losing streak.

diarm

You know the worst part is that I like Wales, Scotland and Ireland, so I can't even compensate by targeting the opposition.
I don't believe you. Nobody likes the Welsh, not even themselves.

JPRouve

Scout
I don't believe you. Nobody likes the Welsh, not even themselves.
"Not England" is the definition that I use. I'm sure that we can all agree with that.

Xaviesta

Supports
Barcelona
I'm probably in a club of one but i feel don't despise England like many others do.

JPRouve

Scout
Despise is a strong word, there is a competitive rivalry and I don't want to see them win a single game. It doesn't go beyond the field and it's frankly childish.