Rugby Union 21/22/23 Discussion | RWC time!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ollie Derbyshire

Not hire gatland again would be a start, playing South Africa at there own game was always going to lead to a dire game.

as for picking players like Daly yes he plays multiple positions but he’s not a game changer or winner zammit is both of those.
I mentioned earlier in the series why was he playing, I’m no Union expert but apart from a long kick which I’ve seen him miss more then get he’s generally pretty rubbish.

Behind the right goal post as "Whiteside shoots!"
Not hire gatland again would be a start, playing South Africa at there own game was always going to lead to a dire game.

as for picking players like Daly yes he plays multiple positions but he’s not a game changer or winner zammit is both of those.
I'd have played him over VDM that's for certain.

To be fair, he had his best game but given he was shit in the first two, only picked because of his size. Gatland-ball but he's nowhere near the ability of Jamie Roberts (and the Lions don't have a Jonathan Davies on his shoulder).

Gatland tried to make a squad play a style rather than picking the best squad and the right style to suit.

As much as he deserves plaudits for Aus and NZ series, deserves to get annihilated by the media for this one. Waste of time putting Adams in and again, no Faletau.

What I would have given for Tipuric too.

Shite.

It’s just all the wasted time and it’s not only when SA play it happens. the amount of time wasted at scrums is crazy, line outs seem pointless cause half the time they don’t throw them in straight, god knows what the refs are looking at.
Needs World Rugby to grow a pair and remind themselves of the basics.

(1) If a scrum goes down once, time off until says "set".

(2) If a scrum goes down twice, that's it. Either give a pen/FK or side with the ball retains it

(3) Touch judges need to stop being wallflowers and be the second/third refs they're meant to be. Standing right behind the hooker, it's easy to see if straight. If not, flag it

(4) Scrums are getting as useless as League's. So scared of the pack weights, that they won't make the scrum half throw it in straight because you'd have two behomoths pushing. Simple, if not out and played in five seconds, blow and see point 2

(5) independent time keeper (same as football needs)

(6) stop the fecking chat with the ref. I have never seen a ref go "oh, did he? I'll reverse my decision then". For those older than 30, you'll remember refs going "back 10 yards, shhh"? Bring it back, they're getting like footballers

Great sport being ruined by pedantic rules instead of common sense.

christy87

Supports
Dipping tea in toast
I'd have played him over VDM that's for certain.

To be fair, he had his best game but given he was shit in the first two, only picked because of his size. Gatland-ball but he's nowhere near the ability of Jamie Roberts (and the Lions don't have a Jonathan Davies on his shoulder).

Gatland tried to make a squad play a style rather than picking the best squad and the right style to suit.

As much as he deserves plaudits for Aus and NZ series, deserves to get annihilated by the media for this one. Waste of time putting Adams in and again, no Faletau.

What I would have given for Tipuric too.

Shite.
Outside of henshaw the lions had no one jinking, making real moves and ground throughout the series, vdm in this set up looked like a big lump on the park .

he picked players like on form like Conan, vdm who’s form fell away in this series, while players who have years of playing big games like mays, billy, CJ had poor seasons didn’t get a look in. For me Conan wasn’t even the best no 8 in Ireland last season.

Ollie Derbyshire

Needs World Rugby to grow a pair and remind themselves of the basics.

(1) If a scrum goes down once, time off until says "set".

(2) If a scrum goes down twice, that's it. Either give a pen/FK or side with the ball retains it

(3) Touch judges need to stop being wallflowers and be the second/third refs they're meant to be. Standing right behind the hooker, it's easy to see if straight. If not, flag it

(4) Scrums are getting as useless as League's. So scared of the pack weights, that they won't make the scrum half throw it in straight because you'd have two behomoths pushing. Simple, if not out and played in five seconds, blow and see point 2

(5) independent time keeper (same as football needs)

(6) stop the fecking chat with the ref. I have never seen a ref go "oh, did he? I'll reverse my decision then". For those older than 30, you'll remember refs going "back 10 yards, shhh"? Bring it back, they're getting like footballers

Great sport being ruined by pedantic rules instead of common sense.
Only good thing about a scrum is the space it creates for an actual piece of rugby to break out. Most the time it looks like the ref just blows for a penalty cause he knows too much time is being wasted.

When played well by both teams, I do enjoy Union, just a shame when big games get ruine.

Outside of henshaw the lions had no one jinking, making real moves and ground throughout the series, vdm in this set up looked like a big lump on the park .

he picked players like on form like Conan, vdm who’s form fell away in this series, while players who have years of playing big games like mays, billy, CJ had poor seasons didn’t get a look in. For me Conan wasn’t even the best no 8 in Ireland last season.
Yip. Odd given he was accused of picking players he either knew or reputation in previous Lions series. This time, Owens, (I thought Jamie George was a choice personally) Faletau, Williams, RZ were all options dropped or used rarely.

I also thought Hamish Watson omission was odd. Player of the 6 Ns and Curry was ok, nothing else

Reiver

Gutted with the series loss to South Africa. Although I'm pleased for Finn Russell, thought he did himself and Scotland proud.

Must be one of the worst series I've ever seen in terms of the rugby. tumescent and awful would be over selling it.

Xaviesta

Supports
Barcelona
Well, thank goodness that series is over. The only point of interest now is the punishment Rassie Erasmus gets for that video ahead of the 2nd test. I could accept the conservative rugby on offer and can appreciate an arm wrestle type of match but both sides took it to another level in this series.

In 12 years time, Morne Steyn will be 49. Lions fans, you can safely assume he won't be back to haunt you for a third time. That's assuming he doesn't become a coach or something and be involved in another Lions series.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Well, thank goodness that series is over. The only point of interest now is the punishment Rassie Erasmus gets for that video ahead of the 2nd test. I could accept the conservative rugby on offer and can appreciate an arm wrestle type of match but both sides took it to another level in this series.

In 12 years time, Morne Steyn will be 49. Lions fans, you can safely assume he won't be back to haunt you for a third time. That's assuming he doesn't become a coach or something and be involved in another Lions series.
Water carrier?

diarm

You say this, but after the game yesterday, Rog was saying he has a 10/12 year old son who is already absolutely deadly with the boot!

freeurmind

weak willed
Rassie will probably get a ban and it will be well deserved. He was so far over the line, he couldn't see it anymore.

Don';t think you will see such a negative gameplan from the Boks in the RC, especially against NZ. Hoping to see some of the new faces get some game time.

diarm

I tried.

1 minute and 51 seconds I mate it before I had to turn him off. That gobshite talking is like someone taking a cheese grater to the inside of my head.

To be fair, his videos are around 800x better when Jonny Sexton isn't involved and he can't make the same hilarious name joke he's been making in every single video for 5 years.

TheReligion

Abusive
Really weak from the referees. They were clearly influenced by Erasmus who should be ashamed of himself.

This resulted in SA getting all the key decisions in the final two tests and essentially won them the series.

Xaviesta

Supports
Barcelona
The All Blacks have beaten the Wallabies 57-22 to retain the Bledisloe Cup for another year. This is New Zealand's highest score in a Tri Nations/Rugby Championship match at Eden Park eclipsing the 55 they scored against the Boks at Eden Park in 1997.

The AB's Ardie Savea in the bin in the 42nd minute. The Wallabies get a 5m lineout and the hooker doesn't throw the ball in straight. Gallingly for the Wallabies, the All Blacks won that 10 minute period 17-0. From the moment Ardie Savea returned from the naughty chair, there was only one winner.

Last edited:

Xaviesta

Supports
Barcelona
Last edited:

unchanged_lineup

Tarheel Tech Wizard
Leaving A Breakfast On All Of Your Doorsteps
Supports
Janet jazz jazz jam

T00lsh3d

T00ly O' Sh3d

Xaviesta

Supports
Barcelona
South Africa 29 Argentina 10 at full time in Port Elizabeth.

As for where the remaining 9 games of this year's Rugby Championship will take place, there are 3 options - Brisbane with crowds although not necessarily the marquee stadium, South Africa with no crowds or Europe will full crowds.

Xaviesta

Supports
Barcelona
All bar one of the remaining 9 games of the Rugby Championship will be held in Queensland with games in Brisbane, Townsville and the Gold Coast. Townsville's 28000 seat stadium will host the 100th test between New Zealand and South Africa with Brisbane's 52000 seat Suncorp Stadium busy on that day.

Bledisloe 3 isn't listed below as the date for that match is to be confirmed. All things being equal it will be held in Perth.

Round Three

Sun 12 September: New Zealand v Argentina at Cbus Super Stadium, Gold Coast

Sun 12 September: South Africa v Australia at Cbus Super Stadium, Gold Coast

Round Four

Sat 18 September: Argentina v New Zealand at Suncorp Stadium, Brisbane

Sat 18 September: Australia v South Africa at Suncorp Stadium, Brisbane

Round Five

Sat 25 September: Australia v Argentina at Queensland Country Bank Stadium, Townsville

Sat 25 September: New Zealand v South Africa at Queensland Country Bank Stadium, Townsville

Round Six

Sat 2 October: Argentina v Australia at Cbus Super Stadium, Gold Coast

Sat 2 October: South Africa v New Zealand at Cbus Super Stadium, Gold Coast

Last edited:

Xaviesta

Supports
Barcelona
Another Bledisloe Cup test, another All Blacks win. Another Bledisloe Cup test in Perth and another Barrett sees red. This time it was Jordie Barrett. It should be noted that SANZAAR is allowed to use the 20 minute red card law for the Rugby Championship.

Before his first test in charge, Dave Rennie spoke about keeping the All Blacks to 16 points if you're to beat them. I say it's more about keeping them to under 20. Anyway, in 7 tests against New Zealand, Rennie's Wallabies have conceded 16, 27, 43, 22(in a 24-22 win), 33, 57 and 38. That's an average of 34 points conceded per game against the men in black. That is far too many in anybody's language.

Last edited:

RooneyLegend

Another Bledisloe Cup test, another All Blacks win. Another Bledisloe Cup test in Perth and another Barrett sees red. This time it was Jordie Barrett. It should be noted that SANZAAR is allowed to use the 20 minute red card law for the Rugby Championship.

Before his first test in charge, Dave Rennie spoke about keeping the All Blacks to 16 points if you're to beat them. I say it's more about keeping them to under 20. Anyway, in 7 tests against New Zealand, Rennie's Wallabies have conceded 16, 27, 43, 22(in a 24-22 win), 33, 57 and 38. That's an average of 34 points conceded per game against the men in black. That is far too many in anybody's language.

If Australia continues to try to beat New Zealand at their game they have zero chance of bringing back some respectability to the rivalry. They need Eddie Jones back quick, fast and in a hurry.

Also why is Barrett back in the 10? thought they were going with Mo'unga. We really don't need them to go back to that set up.

Xaviesta

Supports
Barcelona
If Australia continues to try to beat New Zealand at their game they have zero chance of bringing back some respectability to the rivalry. They need Eddie Jones back quick, fast and in a hurry.

Also why is Barrett back in the 10? thought they were going with Mo'unga. We really don't need them to go back to that set up.
Yeah, you might beat the All Blacks playing an expansive game once but realistically you have to front up physically, dominate the set piece, make your tackles, play in their half of the field, keep mistakes to a minimum (no intercepts!), keep the scoreboard ticking over and earn the right to go wide. The Wallabies could do with understanding the bit in bold.

Richie Mo'unga is currently in New Zealand as his wife/partner is set to give birth to their 1st child. Sam Whitelock and Aaron Smith are in New Zealand awaiting the birth of kids as well. Beauden Barrett was so inaccurate on Sunday I would have backed him to miss from in front.

RooneyLegend

Yeah, you might beat the All Blacks playing an expansive game once but realistically you have to front up physically, dominate the set piece, make your tackles, play in their half of the field, keep mistakes to a minimum (no intercepts!), keep the scoreboard ticking over and earn the right to go wide. The Wallabies could do with understanding the bit in bold.

Richie Mo'unga is currently in New Zealand as his wife/partner is set to give birth to their 1st child. Sam Whitelock and Aaron Smith are in New Zealand awaiting the birth of kids as well. Beauden Barrett was so inaccurate on Sunday I would have backed him to miss from in front.
Great to hear. I still have PTSD from Beauden in that 10 against us. Much prefer if we faced them playing Mo'unga.

Xaviesta

Supports
Barcelona
Australia and South Africa have both named their teams for Sunday's test on the Gold Coast. This game will be closer than people think. SA worthy favourites but their record here since readmission is abysmal.

Wallabies team -
1. Angus Bell (8 Tests) 2. Folau Fainga’a (17 Tests) 3. Allan Alaalatoa (49 Tests) 4. Izack Rodda (26 Tests) 5. Matt Philip (15 Tests) 6. Lachlan Swinton (4 Tests) 7. Michael Hooper (c) (111 Tests) 8. Rob Valetini (10 Tests) 9. Tate McDermott (8 Tests 10. Quade Cooper (70 Tests) 11. Marika Koroibete (39 Tests) 12. Samu Kerevi (34 Tests) 13. Len Ikitau (5 Tests) 14. Andrew Kellaway (5 Tests) 15. Tom Banks (17 Tests)

Replacements
16. Feleti Kaitu’u (debut) 17. James Slipper (106 Tests) 18. Taniela Tupou (31 Tests) 19. Rob Leota (debut) 20. Pete Samu (11 Tests) 21. Nic White (38 Tests) 22. Reece Hodge (49 Tests) 23. Jordan Petaia (10 Tests)

Yes, Quade Cooper is back, baby! I haven't seen him play for over two years. He has done well against the Boks in the past. However, he didn't do very well playing for the Melbourne Rebels against South African teams during the 2019 super rugby season. They were generally able to cut down his time and space and thus he didn't perform as well as he would have hoped.

Springboks: 15-1: Willie le Roux, Sbu Nkosi, Lukhanyo Am, Damian de Allende, Makazole Mapimpi, Handré Pollard, Faf de Klerk, Duane Vermeulen, Franco Mostert, Siya Kolisi, Lood de Jager, Eben Etzebeth, Frans Malherbe, Bongi Mbonambi, Steven Kitshoff.
Replacements: Malcolm Marx, Ox Nché, Vincent Koch, Marco van Staden, Kwagga Smith, Jasper Wiese, Herschel Jantjies, Damian Willemse.

No Kolbe but when you look at the team they've picked, they're not mucking around.
https://www.theroar.com.au/2021/09/...in-trc-but-kolbe-misses-out/#comments-section

Last edited:

freeurmind

weak willed
Never confident agianst the Aussies. Looking for Pollard to get back to form, he's been off coulour for a while now and also good to see Nkosi getting an opportunity.
Awesome to get Vermeulen back finally, we have really missed him, espicially going up against Hooper. Think it will be a nailbighter, going for a draw 21-21

Xaviesta

Supports
Barcelona
Good to see Luke Pearce is no fan of the caterpillar ruck Faf wanted to set up.

Xaviesta

Supports
Barcelona
We are struggling to deal with South Africa's high balls and their scrummaging.

Status
Not open for further replies.