Rugby Union 21/22/23 Discussion | RWC time!

Status
Not open for further replies.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
When english fans complain about refereeing in England I don't take it seriously but between Barnes and Carley they have two specimens. And there is a third one that is even worse., I don't remember his name.

MoskvaRed

I think Fiji probably would have missed the conversion had that try been scored at the end. Great game but we really need clarity on use of yellow cards for offsides and other professional fouls. Wales seem to commit constant offences for 20 minutes and only got one card.

RoyH1

Carley was either incompetent or unequivocally partial to Wales. Either way , he shouldn’t get another game in this tournament. Feel for Fiji here

JPRouve

Scout
I think Fiji probably would have missed the conversion had that try been scored at the end. Great game but we really need clarity on use of yellow cards for offsides and other professional fouls. Wales seem to commit constant offences for 20 minutes and only got one card.
The standards have been set a long time ago. Wales miraculously escaped multiple yellow cards and at least one penalty try, I mean Biggar tried to kick a ball that was in a ruck while coming from the side and that was while there was a penalty advantage.

T00lsh3d

T00ly O' Sh3d
When english fans complain about refereeing in England I don't take it seriously but between Barnes and Carley they have two specimens. And there is a third one that is even worse., I don't remember his name.
Dickson? He’s probably the most regularly complained about, though I don’t think he’s too bad

mariachi-19

I may be the devil, but i'm not a monster
Australian media on the World Cup is a joke. They’re bigging Australia up about beating Georgia like it’s some form of achievement ignoring the fact it’s the first game the wallabies have won in 240 days.

I’m as dinky Aussie as they come but anybody pretending like Australian rugby union is anything more than an after thought is kidding themselves… it’ll sooner be a semi professional sport than returning anywhere near to the level it was 20 years ago in this country.

Xaviesta

Supports
Barcelona
Australian media on the World Cup is a joke. They’re bigging Australia up about beating Georgia like it’s some form of achievement ignoring the fact it’s the first game the wallabies have won in 240 days.

I’m as dinky Aussie as they come but anybody pretending like Australian rugby union is anything more than an after thought is kidding themselves… it’ll sooner be a semi professional sport than returning anywhere near to the level it was 20 years ago in this country.
Got some examples of that?

Kopral Jono

Two fantastic games yesterday. South Africa v Scotland a much closer contest than the scoreline suggests and Wales v Fiji easily the best game of the tournament thus far.

Xaviesta

Supports
Barcelona
Faf de Klerk will referee his 50th test in Marseille. Taniela Tupou and Antoine Dupont won their 50th tests against Georgia and New Zealand respectively while Richie Mo'unga's 50th test was a loss against the French.
Ha, my joke about Faf became a threadmark

Xaviesta

Supports
Barcelona
On ''Chasing The Sun'', a hallmark of Rassie Erasmus's team talks was about the need for his team to ''feck them up'' physically and I sense the unofficial Bok coach might have delivered a similar message at half time in Marseille. South Africa imposed themselves physically in a way they were unable to in the first half. Scotland were disappointing and allowed themselves to get caught behind the advantage line too often. I hope Tom Curry and Jesse Kriel are free to play in his team's next match at this tournament.

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
Just watched highlights of the Wales-Fiji game. Looked a great match and some very physical rugby near the end.

T00lsh3d

T00ly O' Sh3d
On ''Chasing The Sun'', a hallmark of Rassie Erasmus's team talks was about the need for his team to ''feck them up'' physically and I sense the unofficial Bok coach might have delivered a similar message at half time in Marseille. South Africa imposed themselves physically in a way they were unable to in the first half. Scotland were disappointing and allowed themselves to get caught behind the advantage line too often. I hope Tom Curry and Jesse Kriel are free to play in his team's next match at this tournament.
Indeed, I spent much of the first 10 minutes of the second half saying, “PHHUUCKK DEM UP, PHHHYYYSICALLYYY”, in my best bokke accent.

Which was probably quite English schoolboy and just sounded a bit racist

Xaviesta

Supports
Barcelona
Jesse Kriel has not been cited for his head on head collision with Jack Dempsey. The TMO believed there was no foul play on the day and the citing commissioner has supported Whitehouse's view. Surely, Tom Curry's red card will be rescinded.

kidbob

Jesse Kriel has not been cited for his head on head collision with Jack Dempsey. The TMO believed there was no foul play on the day and the citing commissioner has supported Whitehouse's view. Surely, Tom Curry's red card will be rescinded.
It surely will have to be, we can;t have that type of inconsistency coming into the sport. It's the main thing that annoys me about football reffing.

Ayush_reddevil

Éire Abú
Seriously these red cards are becoming a farce. I understand player safety obviously but at some point this is just going to ruin the sport completely.

Xaviesta

Supports
Barcelona
Seriously these red cards are becoming a farce. I understand player safety obviously but at some point this is just going to ruin the sport completely.
Agree. World Rugby's heart is in in the right place but do players really deserve to be red carded for something that could be seen as accidental and or unavoidable when viewed at full speed?

Curry was red carded for a head clash when trying to make a tackle. Intentional head clashes are called headbutts and the player who is culpable obviously must be sent off. What Tom Curry and Jesse Kriel did were accidents. I'm glad Kriel wasn't sent off. I hope the RFU appeal Curry's ban and his suspension is overturned.

kidbob

Absolute bollix. I'm no fan of England but I feel for them there. The only way you can ban Curry is if you ban Kriel. All I can think is that they want to avoid the controversy of admitting that Scotland should have played against 14 for the majority of the game, so they are trying to claim a difference with him and Curry. Honestly the refereeing at this tournament so far has been a joke, especially factoring in Wales and Fiji. Sad to see rugby be in this position. Here we all are, justifiably, raving about SA but by the rules they should have had 14 men on the pitch and who could honestly say a team as good as Scotland wouldn't have capitalised? Watch Rassie jump on the first slightly bad call against them now.

T00lsh3d

T00ly O' Sh3d
Absolute bollix. I'm no fan of England but I feel for them there. The only way you can ban Curry is if you ban Kriel. All I can think is that they want to avoid the controversy of admitting that Scotland should have played against 14 for the majority of the game, so they are trying to claim a difference with him and Curry. Honestly the refereeing at this tournament so far has been a joke, especially factoring in Wales and Fiji. Sad to see rugby be in this position. Here we all are, justifiably, raving about SA but by the rules they should have had 14 men on the pitch and who could honestly say a team as good as Scotland wouldn't have capitalised? Watch Rassie jump on the first slightly bad call against them now.
We can all hope and pray that that tithead keeps his mouth shut for the next 6 weeks

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Agree. World Rugby's heart is in in the right place but do players really deserve to be red carded for something that could be seen as accidental and or unavoidable when viewed at full speed?

Curry was red carded for a head clash when trying to make a tackle. Intentional head clashes are called headbutts and the player who is culpable obviously must be sent off. What Tom Curry and Jesse Kriel did were accidents. I'm glad Kriel wasn't sent off. I hope the RFU appeal Curry's ban and his suspension is overturned.
C’mon now. Deliberate head butts are not a big problem in rugby. They’re trying to make the game safer by reducing concussions, no matter how they are caused. They want players to take more care and avoid accidental, yet dangerous, head to head collisions. Which cause many many more concussions than deliberate head butts. The fact that it is accidental shouldn’t be a get out of jail free card.

JPRouve

Scout
Jelonch is officially back, he will captain the team against Uruguay.

Xaviesta

Supports
Barcelona
South Africa have picked 4, yes 4 scrumhalves in their 23 to play Roumania this weekend. God help the man with the whistle if all 4 of those yappy little sods end up on the field at the same time.

Xaviesta

Supports
Barcelona
Malcolm Marx has been ruled out of the World Cup due to a knee injury he suffered at a Springboks training session on Wednesday.

Traub

Malcolm Marx has been ruled out of the World Cup due to a knee injury he suffered at a Springboks training session on Wednesday.
Massive loss for us, although we lost Jean de Villiers in 2007 and still managed to win.

Massive Spanner

Give Mason Mount a chance!
I think my biggest problem with the RWC is the massive gap between rounds just ruins all momentum. There’s a 2 week break until round 3. I get the players need it but a World Cup should be a relentless barrage of games early on at least. Can they really not get 32 decent teams or what? Yawn.

Status
Not open for further replies.