Rugby Union 21/22/23 Discussion | RWC time!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Traub

Yep, don't see how we get past NZ playing like we did in the first half. Our discipline in the 2nd was commendable though, exactly what we needed in a tight game like this.
We are completely broken. Have to hope for that NZ terrible discipline.

Having said that, we always kak ourselves in semis. Maybe it was another one of those

cyberman

Could be worse - could be a generation who's best performances were in a quarter final they lost instead of 2 semi-finals - one of which they won. :lol:
To be fair to England it was a great underdog performance from the 5th best team in the northern hemisphere

rpitchfo

I hate scrums in modern rugby. Make no sense to me. Lock in, both teams go down. Penalty

Ish

Lights on for Luke
@Ish @Traub @SirAnderson @Shakesy @anyboksiveforgotten

Congratulations boys.

So proud of England tonight. No one gave us a chance, we fought like hell and really should have won. Did the country and the whole of England rugby proud.

Less said about the officiating the better
Was just coming in here to tag you mate. Don’t think we deserved that, which says it all. Great effort and very unlucky man. There’s no consolation prizes in this game but your boys should be proud.

SirAnderson

Congratulations boys.

So proud of England tonight. No one gave us a chance, we fought like hell and really should have won. Did the country and the whole of England rugby proud.

I was telling everyone to stop thinking this game was a foregone conclusion and until that Pollard kick I was not expecting us to win this. You guys played your hearts out and definitely were the better team for most of the game.

Yeah the officiating was poor today, no 2 ways about that.
Just hope it doesn't have any hand in the final game.

Traub

Congratulations boys.

Well done. You definitely outwitted the tactical ‘master’ rassie.

What’s your views on the final? I think we look absolutely broken, bodies are shattered. The only thing is this game wasn’t a slobber knocker, so maybe we will be ok

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
I just want to join anyway.
You are welcome. :lol:

It's probably the first time in my life that I genuinely dislike a ref, there is no explanation for so many of his decisions. How can this ref be the one that sanctioned France scrum very quickly last week but gave both teams an eternity to sort themselves out today, he was also incredibly lenient with SA last week at the end of the game for no reason and wasted a lot of the clock. His advantages are inconsistent, he can't spot a knock on to save his life or crooked line-out, being onside for SA seems to be optional.

I'm an english hater when it comes to Rugby but that second half was dubious from the ref.

RedDevilRoshi

Didn’t watch the game but can imagine that’s a very tough one to take for England. Especially when I’ve just been told that they were both leading on the scoreline and looking the better team in large spells of that game.

Tyrion

Came 2nd in 1995 after extra time (15-12). 4th in 1999, 3rd in 2003.

Bit of a harsh comment.
They've been the best team in the world for most of that period. I'm not saying they're not good, just that saying the other 3 and a half years don't count and one tournament does (as the original poster did) is rubbish.

They are the Brazil of Rugby. That’s ace from a country of 4 millions people.
It is but Brazil have been the most successful in the world cup since the 50s. NZ won the first and then couldn't win it until they were next the hosts. It shows that you can be brilliant and still struggle in one tournament.

Tyrion

Didn’t watch the game but can imagine that’s a very tough one to take for England. Especially when I’ve just been told that they were both leading on the scoreline and looking the better team in large spells of that game.
SA didn't lead until about the 75th minute.

freeurmind

weak willed
Never say die attitude. Pollard, Nche and Snyman were incredible off the bench. Not the best game of rugby but onto the final we go. Commiserations to England, they were excellent for most of the game.

Far and Pollard have to come in for the final.

Pogue Mahone

Swiftie Fan Club President
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Horrible match to watch. Fair play to South Africa. Thought you were going out. Great character to find a way to win. I really hope the conditions are better in the final. Be a terrible shame if a great competition doesn’t have at least one more really high quality game.

SirAnderson

We are completely broken. Have to hope for that NZ terrible discipline.

Having said that, we always kak ourselves in semis. Maybe it was another one of those
Yeah no, I think we have to make it a war of attrition again. libbok and Reinach can't start it, we will be so far behind by the time Pollard and Faf come on.
Even then, like you said, we so broken, our defense will have a massive battle to keep NZ forwards at bay.

MoskvaRed

I thought tonight was a free hit but to be 15-6 up and still be leading for 78 minutes and then lose does hurt. But, considering where they were 3 months ago, England have done themselves proud.

Kopral Jono

I'm not too sure what to make of that. A strange game, that was. Complain about O'Keefe as much as we like but England did have their chances to finish the game off and they didn't take them. That said, on the balance of the game I don't think South Africa deserved to win that.

SirAnderson

I'm not too sure what to make of that. A strange game, that was. Complain about O'Keefe as much as we like but England did have their chances to finish the game off and they didn't take them. That said, on the balance of the game I don't think South Africa deserved to win that.
Yeah no to trail for 75 mins. It speaks volumes on how England couldn't close the game off, but that SA were poor and got super lucky while getting some critical decisions go their way to get over the line.

Pogue Mahone

Swiftie Fan Club President
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Could be worse - could be a generation who's best performances were in a quarter final they lost instead of 2 semi-finals - one of which they won. :lol:
I’d say our best performance this tournament was beating South Africa actually. Either that or annihilating Scotland. You see not all of the group games for 6N teams were against cannon fodder.

Best games of this generation overall would be en route to Grand Slam and wining a test series in New Zealand.

JJ12

Predicted Portugal, Italy to win Euro 2016, 2020
Better team won, hard-fought game. England can exit with heads high.

tomaldinho1

As a casual viewer it is so hard to understand the scrums, feels like guess work from the refs
I swear they showed one camera shot from above and SA were clearly coming in on the angle first, you could hear George telling the ref every scrum and obviously he disagreed but it looked very obvious.

Bubz27

No I won’t change your tag line
I’d say our best performance this tournament was beating South Africa actually. Either that or annihilating Scotland. You see not all of the group games for 6N teams were against cannon fodder.

Best games of this generation overall would be en route to Grand Slam and wining a test series in New Zealand.
Do you think Ireland will ever win a knock out game?

Camy89

Love Island obsessive
England dominated the first half.

SA dominated the last quarter.

Was always gonna come down to tight decisions, but SA edged it. Wasn’t pretty. I can laugh at England being Scottish, but Jesus, if the shoe was on the other foot I’d be absolutely gutted.

So, unlucky England. Genuinely.

T00lsh3d

T00ly O' Sh3d
Was just coming in here to tag you mate. Don’t think we deserved that, which says it all. Great effort and very unlucky man. There’s no consolation prizes in this game but your boys should be proud.
Yeah, my lad is devastated by I’m not, I’ve not been proud of the national team for a couple of years but I was so proud of them tonight. No-one gave us a chance, it was a sham we were there etc etc….no rational person can say that now
I was telling everyone to stop thinking this game was a foregone conclusion and until that Pollard kick I was not expecting us to win this. You guys played your hearts out and definitely were the better team for most of the game.

Yeah the officiating was poor today, no 2 ways about that.
Just hope it doesn't have any hand in the final game.
I said earlier in the thread that I was surprised he didn’t start Faf and Pollard. Seemed a no-brainer really.

I could pick up so many bad calls, critical calls as well in the last 10 mins, but feck it. Rugbys a hard game to ref especially when it’s at the top level of physicality
Well done. You definitely outwitted the tactical ‘master’ rassie.

What’s your views on the final? I think we look absolutely broken, bodies are shattered. The only thing is this game wasn’t a slobber knocker, so maybe we will be ok
Well we know the ABs will be pretty fresh, don’t think they have any injury concerns either. Depends how much you guys have left in the tank. You smashed them in the warm up though, so there’s a psychological edge. Plus, the ABs won’t turn it into the same spoiling shitfest that we did. Got a few things to sort out though, your scrums came right in the end but I can’t remember seeing such a poor South African lineout. And we exposed your aerial game as well….I imagine Mo’unga and Barrett will be watching that with interest

Ayush_reddevil

Éire Abú
I swear they showed one camera shot from above and SA were clearly coming in on the angle first, you could hear George telling the ref every scrum and obviously he disagreed but it looked very obvious.
Yeah I see this a lot in rugby that when refs start giving it one way then you hardly ever see it turn, it just goes that way after that.

Tyrion

As a casual viewer it is so hard to understand the scrums, feels like guess work from the refs
I stopped trying to understand it years ago. The refs really do guess. In theory, the ball should be rolled in straight but that rule is never enforced.

Ish

Lights on for Luke
Yeah, my lad is devastated by I’m not, I’ve not been proud of the national team for a couple of years but I was so proud of them tonight. No-one gave us a chance, it was a sham we were there etc etc….no rational person can say that now
I said earlier in the thread that I was surprised he didn’t start Faf and Pollard. Seemed a no-brainer really.

I could pick up so many bad calls, critical calls as well in the last 10 mins, but feck it. Rugbys a hard game to ref especially when it’s at the top level of physicality
Well we know the ABs will be pretty fresh, don’t think they have any injury concerns either. Depends how much you guys have left in the tank. You smashed them in the warm up though, so there’s a psychological edge. Plus, the ABs won’t turn it into the same spoiling shitfest that we did. Got a few things to sort out though, your scrums came right in the end but I can’t remember seeing such a poor South African lineout. And we exposed your aerial game as well….I imagine Mo’unga and Barrett will be watching that with interest
Yeah you were talking about conditions not favouring Libbok and more suited to Pollard etc before the match. Well played. Also good change by Rassie, I guess. Rather late than never.

Yeah that warm up game was something against the AB’s. Though they were down to 14 for most of the match. I just hope it gives us a psychological edge and not the reverse - fires them up for being written off since then & basically the entire WC :nervous:

Traub

Ya the only silver lining is maybe this was a shock to the boys and there won’t be any relaxing in the prep.
Yeah I see this a lot in rugby that when refs start giving it one way then you hardly ever see it turn, it just goes that way after that.
I never understand this. All I can think is I don’t understand the rules and something is very obvious on the field we can’t see

Status
Not open for further replies.