Rugby Union 21/22/23 Discussion | RWC time!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zoo

Biggar has been excellent. He’s in the form of his life

Rawls

You'll never find, that microfilm of mine
Conor Murray the new captain, with Adam Beard and Josh Navidi in for Alun Wyn Jones and Justin Tipuric respectively. Hard to believe why Adam Beard is in there ahead of James Ryan and Jonny Gray, other than the fact that he is Welsh.

RedDevilRoshi

Conor Murray the new captain, with Adam Beard and Josh Navidi in for Alun Wyn Jones and Justin Tipuric respectively. Hard to believe why Adam Beard is in there ahead of James Ryan and Jonny Gray, other than the fact that he is Welsh.
Think you’ve just answered your own question :)

diarm

Murray's form has been sketchy enough that I feel he has more to be worrying about than learning to captain for the first time. Not sure he's ever even captained Munster, let alone the bloody Lions.

But I guess there aren't many nailed on starters who could've taken on the armband. I was sure it would be Ken Owens to be honest but the fact he and Owen Farrell didn't get it, suggests they are maybe not guaranteed first choice in Gatland's mind.

Adam Beard over Jonny Gray is nuts. I'd have even had an off form James Ryan ahead of Beard if you weren't taking Gray.

Green_Red

Murray's form has been sketchy enough that I feel he has more to be worrying about than learning to captain for the first time. Not sure he's ever even captained Munster, let alone the bloody Lions.

But I guess there aren't many nailed on starters who could've taken on the armband. I was sure it would be Ken Owens to be honest but the fact he and Owen Farrell didn't get it, suggests they are maybe not guaranteed first choice in Gatland's mind.

Adam Beard over Jonny Gray is nuts. I'd have even had an off form James Ryan ahead of Beard if you weren't taking Gray.
I'm sure the coaches and players know who the leaders in the group are. I'm just amazed this is his 3rd lions tour. Will the lions tour games against the springboks be on TV in the UK?

diarm

I'm sure the coaches and players know who the leaders in the group are.
You would think so, but then these are the same coaches who think Adam Beard is a better option to call up than Jonny Gray, James Ryan or George Kruis.

Will the lions tour games against the springboks be on TV in the UK?
All the tour matches will be on Sky Sports.

Green_Red

You would think so, but then these are the same coaches who think Adam Beard is a better option to call up than Jonny Gray, James Ryan or George Kruis.

All the tour matches will be on Sky Sports.
Nice one. Will look forward to them next month. I suppose the picks indicate the way Gatland expects to play. It was a surprise not to bring Sexton too, one of the best players in the world left out because of some inconsistent form during a pandemic.

diarm

Nice one. Will look forward to them next month. I suppose the picks indicate the way Gatland expects to play. It was a surprise not to bring Sexton too, one of the best players in the world left out because of some inconsistent form during a pandemic.
Sexton has been an amazing player, but he's broken. I'm not confident he would've survived the first training session before being sent home on a stretcher.

T00lsh3d

T00ly O' Sh3d

Jonny Gray should definitely have gone, mad that he hasn’t been called up as a replacement. The captaincy is a tough call, thought they might have gone for Hogg but maybe he’s lost his place to Williams.

diarm

Jonny Gray should definitely have gone, mad that he hasn’t been called up as a replacement. The captaincy is a tough call, thought they might have gone for Hogg but maybe he’s lost his place to Williams.
I thought about Hogg, but I guess the fact that he's missed these first few weeks and the initial team bonding, they might have thought it was a poor fit for him to suddenly come in as captain over a settled squad.

Green_Red

Sexton has been an amazing player, but he's broken. I'm not confident he would've survived the first training session before being sent home on a stretcher.
Yea, he seems to be prone at the minute but I think he also went through a phase like that when he went to toulouse.

Xaviesta

Supports
Barcelona
The first test between Australia and France on Wednesday July 7 has been moved from the Sydney Cricket Ground to Suncorp Stadium in Brisbane.

Last edited:

Xaviesta

Supports
Barcelona
Vincent Koch, Sbu Nkosi and Herschel Jantjies are the players who have tested positive to co-vid.

Xaviesta

Supports
Barcelona
Finally watched the Gallagher Premiership final. What a match! Chuffed for Quins who have been a great story this season. Nearly 3 decades after Michael Lynagh left Twickenham with a World Cup winners medal, Louis Lynagh plays a key role in his Quins team becoming Premiership champions.

Xaviesta

Supports
Barcelona
The All Blacks beat a severely undermanned Tonga 102-0 in Auckland but not at Eden Park (Mt Smart Stadium to be specific). I only checked the score every now and then. Needless to say the All Blacks will put this result in perspective.

Last edited:

Xaviesta

Supports
Barcelona
Fecking hell!!!

That's an insane scoreline.

Ireland about to take on Japan now. I'm fairly bleh about it because it looks like another missed opportunity to give our form players and new talent a chance.

JGP at 9 again :(
During the match they mentioned that Tonga was missing 20 players for various reasons - mainly the need to quarantine and European clubs not releasing their players. Had that been different, we might have seen a margin in the mid 60's. Who are some Irish chaps to keep and eye on?

Xaviesta

Supports
Barcelona
Also, the British and Irish Lions will take on the Golden Lions at Ellis Park in a few hours time. Not sure the tour matches will be tough as there won't be any Springboks involved. You may recognise the last name of Straeuli in the Golden Lions team. Ruhan Straeuli is the son of former Springbok Rudolph Straeuli who won a super 10 tite and two Currie Cup titles with Transvaal and something called the Rugby World Cup and is now the General manager of rugby and commercial for the Golden Lions.

christy87

Supports
Dipping tea in toast
Fecking hell!!!

That's an insane scoreline.

Ireland about to take on Japan now. I'm fairly bleh about it because it looks like another missed opportunity to give our form players and new talent a chance.

JGP at 9 again :(
4 scrum halfs to pick from and he picks the worst one, blade should of for a shot in this one, and then there is the picking of POM is pointless your learning nothing about this player, should of been Coombes, because you are going to learn feck all from playing them against the yanks next week

unchanged_lineup

Tarheel Tech Wizard
Leaving A Breakfast On All Of Your Doorsteps
Supports
Janet jazz jazz jam
During the match they mentioned that Tonga was missing 20 players for various reasons - mainly the need to quarantine and European clubs not releasing their players. Had that been different, we might have seen a margin in the mid 60's. Who are some Irish chaps to keep and eye on?
Doris is one of the future folks to watch. James Ryan didn't get the Lions call-up and may feel he has a point to prove. Casey is touted as our future 9 (though I really, really wanted Blade to get a go today). Coombes could get his first cap today.

unchanged_lineup

Tarheel Tech Wizard
Leaving A Breakfast On All Of Your Doorsteps
Supports
Janet jazz jazz jam
4 scrum halfs to pick from and he picks the worst one, blade should of for a shot in this one, and then there is the picking of POM is pointless your learning nothing about this player, should of been Coombes, because you are going to learn feck all from playing them against the yanks next week
Yeah I am so gutted for Blade. I don't know how much Connacht ye watch, but he's been phenomenal.
He's now gone a full season deservedly keeping Marmion out of the team.
He's quick, smart, and always liable to do something outrageous like a turnover he has no right to win or a breakaway try.

It's just all very deflating, isn't it? They seem terrified of building for the future.

T00lsh3d

T00ly O' Sh3d
Finally watched the Gallagher Premiership final. What a match! Chuffed for Quins who have been a great story this season. Nearly 3 decades after Michael Lynagh left Twickenham with a World Cup winners medal, Louis Lynagh plays a key role in his Quins team becoming Premiership champions.
Was that not the best match you’ve watched in….forever? Honestly anyone in this thread who didn’t watch it, find the full match replay, it was absolutely superb.
On to the lions today, bang up for it, exciting line up for me with grunt up front and pace behind.

Status
Not open for further replies.