Rugby Union 21/22/23 Discussion | RWC time!

Status
Not open for further replies.

diarm

Daly out was almost guaranteed, though thought he may have put Farrell in/moved Henshaw... other two changes I'd go with.

Thought Liam Williams would be in, squad at least if not XV. Farrell and Daly are in as can cover multiple positions but so can Williams. Him and Adams slightly unfortunate to miss out due to 6/2 subs and (for some reason), Daly's inclusion.

Lions team to face South Africa: Hogg; A Watson, Harris, Henshaw, Van der Merwe; Biggar, Murray; Vunipola, Cowan-Dickie, Furlong, Itoje, AW Jones, Lawes, Curry, Conan.

Replacements: Owens, Sutherland, Sinckler, Beirne, Faletau, Price, Farrell, Daly.
Vunipola and Harris are good inclusions. Murray probably too if we're expecting an onslaught retaliation from the Boks. Price will cause damage if they tire late on again like in the first test.

I can't understand how Hogg and Van der Merwe kept their places. I thought Hogg looked a liability for pretty much the entire game and I just don't see the point in VdM. Fair enough to be beaten by Kolbe on the ground but he was beaten by him 3 or 4 times in the air as well during that first half - the lad is an absolute midget.

Offsideagain

Boks are on the run, the Erasmus bollocks shows that. He’s trying to do a Fergy and get into the Refs head. Reckon the Boks will put in a monumental effort for 20 minutes and we will run them about until they tire. Lions win and the series.

Xaviesta

Supports
Barcelona
Oh no... This is just getting embarrassing. What is he up to?
I can't believe for one moment he was like this at Leinster. Jurie Roux might want to have a word with him because the goodwill they got for winning the World Cup from the rugby world will be gone pretty soon.

Michael Cheika developed a persecution complex post the 2015 World Cup. It did him and the Wallabies no favours even if he may have had a valid point from time to time.

unchanged_lineup

Tarheel Tech Wizard
Leaving A Breakfast On All Of Your Doorsteps
Supports
Janet jazz jazz jam
I can't believe for one moment he was like this at Leinster. Jurie Roux might want to have a word with him because the goodwill they got for winning the World Cup from the rugby world will be gone pretty soon.

Michael Cheika developed a persecution complex post the 2015 World Cup. It did him and the Wallabies no favours even if he may have had a valid point from time to time.
*Munster

Behind the right goal post as "Whiteside shoots!"
Vunipola and Harris are good inclusions. Murray probably too if we're expecting an onslaught retaliation from the Boks. Price will cause damage if they tire late on again like in the first test.

I can't understand how Hogg and Van der Merwe kept their places. I thought Hogg looked a liability for pretty much the entire game and I just don't see the point in VdM. Fair enough to be beaten by Kolbe on the ground but he was beaten by him 3 or 4 times in the air as well during that first half - the lad is an absolute midget.
Gatland on Liam Williams.

Was thinking of picking him but thought vdm and Hogg played well ..

... then doubles down when deciding subs because...

"...but what we talked about as well was the cover that Elliot gives us in terms of being able to cover 13 and the back three. That was a really tough call for Liam to miss out on the squad."

I thought he was wrong first Test but they won. Hope he's right again.

Xaviesta

Supports
Barcelona
I have seen a large amount of Rassie Erasmus's hour long video about Nic Berry's performance last week. There are some valid points but also some moments where he felt the Lions transgressed when his team weren't angels.

For example, he cites a moment where Duhan van der Merwe came in from the side but footage also showed Makazole Mampimi was off his feet while trying to win a turnover. He goes on about the penalty Maro Itoje won for the tackled player not releasing the ball claiming Itoje was off his feet. Well, so was Franco Mostert at that same ruck.

He should have put the pressure on World Rugby to get back to him about the concerns he and his team had about Berry's officiating and left it at that. Making comments that seem to quesiton a ref integrity is poor form. Nic Berry and his mates weren't perfect - neither were the Springboks.

The Lions outplayed South Africa in the 2nd half and that's why the men in red are 1-0 up. If the Boks win tomorrow, we might see a similar video from Warren Gatland in 5-6 days time. That's now what we want rugby to about or is it?

Rugby Australia aren't happy with Rassie Erasmus's video.

Last edited:

unchanged_lineup

Tarheel Tech Wizard
Leaving A Breakfast On All Of Your Doorsteps
Supports
Janet jazz jazz jam
I have seen a large amount of Rassie Erasmus's hour long video about Nic Berry's performance last week. There are some valid points but also some moments where he felt the Lions transgressed when his team weren't angels.

For example, he cites a moment where Duhan van der Merwe came in from the side but footage also showed Makazole Mampimi was off his feet while trying to win a turnover. He goes on about the penalty Maro Itoje won for the tackled player not releasing the ball claiming Itoje was off his feet. Well, so was Franco Mostert at that same ruck.

He should have put the pressure on World Rugby to get back to him about the concerns he and his team had about Berry's officiating and left it at that. Making comments that seem to quesiton a ref integrity is poor form. Nic Berry and his mates weren't perfect - neither were the Springboks.

The Lions outplayed South Africa in the 2nd half and that's why the men in red are 1-0 up. If the Boks win tomorrow, we might see a similar video from Warren Gatland in 5-6 days time. That's now what we want rugby to about or is it?

Rugby Australia aren't happy with Rassie Erasmus's video.

I'm embarrassed for him. I really hope this doesn't become a thing.

Xaviesta

Supports
Barcelona
I'm getting the SA coverage and they're still seething about the officiating from last week. Good grief.

Zoo

Love rugby square ups. 2 huge men both know they can’t do anything to each other.

Status
Not open for further replies.