Rugby Union 21/22/23 Discussion | RWC time!

Status
Not open for further replies.

unchanged_lineup

Tarheel Tech Wizard
Leaving A Breakfast On All Of Your Doorsteps
Supports
Janet jazz jazz jam
You could feel Wayne Pivac's relief even on the other side of the world. He won't be naive to the fact Wales are going have to improve enormously if they're going to beat Scotland next weekend. The fear of losing to a team with 14 seemed to consume the hosts in the first half in particular.

The last kick of the match is a real pet hate of mine. The best you could have got was a lineout 5m out from the goalline. Unless Burns' aim was pinpoint, he should have been content with a 10m lineout which is still a decent platform from which to set up a possible match winning try. Ireland still played well under the circumstances but they won't be looking forward to the visit of France.
Totally agree about Burns. Unless you've nerves of steel and you're a fabulous kicker, lose a few metres to guarantee it. He'd already had a poor kick or two out of hand, so it was desperately poor decision making. As I said yesterday, he didn't even have the excuse of being fatigued.

diarm

It's more than a pet peeve at this stage. It's been a staple of Irish play for years now - Sexton has missed so many of them I've lost count (including one in the second half yesterday) and Hanrahan is an absolute nightmare for doing it for Munster.

They never get held accountable for it so it keeps happening. Same goes for lads not bothering to practice throwing into the lineout properly. If you don't drop fellas for failing to execute the basic skills of their position, they won't concentrate on fixing their weaknesses. O'Mahony let Munster down badly against Scarlets earlier this year with exactly the same piece of dirty play getting him sent off - nobody said a word to him and he was back in the team at the earliest next opportunity. Yesterday was the result of that inaction. Murray has been giving away that same blocking penalty when defending box kicks for 10 years but still plays and still does the same thing every game.

The tournament is gone for us now realistically, so let's wish Healy, O'Mahony, Murray, Sexton and Earls well, thank them for their service and get the young lads in. Casey and Harry Byrne aren't much younger than Stringer and O'Gara were when they made their Irish debuts. They aren't much younger than the French lads playing such good rugby at the moment. Ben Healy has shown he has more about him than Billy Burns so get him involved as well.

unchanged_lineup

Tarheel Tech Wizard
Supports
Janet jazz jazz jam
It's more than a pet peeve at this stage. It's been a staple of Irish play for years now - Sexton has missed so many of them I've lost count (including one in the second half yesterday) and Hanrahan is an absolute nightmare for doing it for Munster.

They never get held accountable for it so it keeps happening. Same goes for lads not bothering to practice throwing into the lineout properly. If you don't drop fellas for failing to execute the basic skills of their position, they won't concentrate on fixing their weaknesses. O'Mahony let Munster down badly against Scarlets earlier this year with exactly the same piece of dirty play getting him sent off - nobody said a word to him and he was back in the team at the earliest next opportunity. Yesterday was the result of that inaction. Murray has been giving away that same blocking penalty when defending box kicks for 10 years but still plays and still does the same thing every game.

The tournament is gone for us now realistically, so let's wish Healy, O'Mahony, Murray, Sexton and Earls well, thank them for their service and get the young lads in. Casey and Harry Byrne aren't much younger than Stringer and O'Gara were when they made their Irish debuts. They aren't much younger than the French lads playing such good rugby at the moment. Ben Healy has shown he has more about him than Billy Burns so get him involved as well.
Not going to happen though, unless we've all greatly underestimated Farrell.

Offsideagain

Well England were out ‘England‘d’ by a very good , determined and fit Scotland team. I‘ve read excuses about no crowd but we lost, as simple as that. Some players looked undercooked and some just lost. Never rated Genge as a good scummager.
I thought Ireland were the better team on Sunday and they hung on for a good length of time until inevitably they tired with only 14 men. England need a big score next match against a poor Italian side but I reckon the French will win the Championship.

Vault Dweller

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Very late to the party but fecking hell that was a magic win on Saturday, first time seeing us beat the Auld Enemy at Twickenham in my lifetime. Fantastic performance and really should have won by more, England were dreadful.

Hopefully we build on it next week with a solid performance v Wales and really give ourselves a platform for a great tournament.

RedRover

Very late to the party but fecking hell that was a magic win on Saturday, first time seeing us beat the Auld Enemy at Twickenham in my lifetime. Fantastic performance and really should have won by more, England were dreadful.

Hopefully we build on it next week with a solid performance v Wales and really give ourselves a platform for a great tournament.
Scotland were absolutely superb. It's a measure of the performance that England couldn't get their own game plan going at all and when they finally got the ball, had no idea what to do with it.

Redpath looks very promising , Russell and Hogg are world class. Also a very good back row. Thought the scrum half wanted a bit to long but Itoje is a menace around the fringes. Very promising overall, and I think they'll do well.

England were awful mind. My opinion, there's a few players looking like they're on the turn. Would like to see some fresh faces introduced, specifically both Simmonds brothers and Randall. Time to build for the future.

Vault Dweller

Scotland were absolutely superb. It's a measure of the performance that England couldn't get their own game plan going at all and when they finally got the ball, had no idea what to do with it.

Redpath looks very promising , Russell and Hogg are world class. Also a very good back row. Thought the scrum half wanted a bit to long but Itoje is a menace around the fringes. Very promising overall, and I think they'll do well.

England were awful mind. My opinion, there's a few players looking like they're on the turn. Would like to see some fresh faces introduced, specifically both Simmonds brothers and Randall. Time to build for the future.
You're right pal, I think the performance really disrupted England and put them off their game. Redpath looks a great prospect and being a Warriors fan as well I have nothing but supreme love for Russell and Hogg :lol: :drool: Forward pack is looking great which is encouraging and I really think big Johnny Gray has benefitted massively from moving down South, the moves for Russell and Hogg have done the same for them too. Fingers crossed for Saturday v Wales.

Aye you're right, myself my brother and my dad kept texting each other saying 'surely England will sort this out?' but it just didn't happen. Honestly couldn't tell you the last time I saw them play so badly at Twickenham. Yes agreed, Wilkinson said as much post match about how a defeat like this might help force the restart button, and I think England definitely need some new blood and tough decisions about some players required also.

RedRover

You're right pal, I think the performance really disrupted England and put them off their game. Redpath looks a great prospect and being a Warriors fan as well I have nothing but supreme love for Russell and Hogg :lol: :drool: Forward pack is looking great which is encouraging and I really think big Johnny Gray has benefitted massively from moving down South, the moves for Russell and Hogg have done the same for them too. Fingers crossed for Saturday v Wales.

Aye you're right, myself my brother and my dad kept texting each other saying 'surely England will sort this out?' but it just didn't happen. Honestly couldn't tell you the last time I saw them play so badly at Twickenham. Yes agreed, Wilkinson said as much post match about how a defeat like this might help force the restart button, and I think England definitely need some new blood and tough decisions about some players required also.
Spot on. Nobody stood up and took responsibility on Saturday. Too many looking at others to do it for them.

I don't think you become a bad team overnight and perhaps they just had a bad day at the office. I do have confidence in Jones to move players on when the time is right and build towards the world cup. It's nice to win but not winning the Six Nations isn't a disaster if things are moving the right way. Be interesting to see what changes he makes this week.

Vault Dweller

Spot on. Nobody stood up and took responsibility on Saturday. Too many looking at others to do it for them.

I don't think you become a bad team overnight and perhaps they just had a bad day at the office. I do have confidence in Jones to move players on when the time is right and build towards the world cup. It's nice to win but not winning the Six Nations isn't a disaster if things are moving the right way. Be interesting to see what changes he makes this week.
Agreed.

I think there could be a few changes, as you say you don't become a bad team overnight. Without wanting to be disrespectful, Italy at the weekend presents an opportunity to make a few changes with some of the new blood and see what they can do. Sometimes players need a kick up the backside, so if some new guys come in and do well it's good for the squad and pushes you on.

That's something Scotland finally have, competition for some key positions and it has helped make players better.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout

unchanged_lineup

Tarheel Tech Wizard
Supports
Janet jazz jazz jam
I remember more than one in the last 18 months, he got a ridiculous second yellow for that in October.

He pretty much lined him up there, didn't he? I haven't watched much Munster this year to be honest, this looks like mitigating circumstances for the full ban, not any reduction like they actually gave!

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
He pretty much lined him up there, didn't he? I haven't watched much Munster this year to be honest, this looks like mitigating circumstances for the full ban, not any reduction like they actually gave!
Yeah, it's clearly a strange decision. POM is typically the kind of player that shouldn't be given the benefit of doubts.

Xaviesta

Supports
Barcelona
Righto folks, if you watch a Super Rugby AU match this season, here are the law variations to keep an eye on. Fair to say I'm not keen on them.

Super Rugby AU 2021 law changes as per: https://www.theroar.com.au/2021/02/10/new-law-changes-confirmed-for-another-season-of-super-rugby-au/
  1. When an attacking player carrying the ball is held up in the in-goal or knocks the ball on Play restarts with a goal-line drop-out. Say farewell to clever attacking play off a 5m scrum as well as a pushover try.
  2. When a kick enters the in-goal area and is forced by the defending teamPlay restarts with a goal-line drop-out.
  3. A red-carded player can be replaced after 20 minutes, unless the team has already used all their substitutions.
  4. A kick taken from within the defending team’s 50-metre area that travels into touch within the opposition’s 22m having first bounced in the field of play results in a lineout throw to the kicking team.
  5. A kick taken from within the defending team’s 22-metre area that travels into touch within the opposition’s 50-metre are having first bounced in the field of play results in a lineout throw to the kicking team.
  6. Kick-offs
    i. After a team has scored, their opponents restart play with a drop-kick on or behind the centre of the half-way line. The restart kick must be taken within 30 seconds from the time a conversion has been taken or declined, or from the time a penalty goal or dropped goal is kicked. Sanction: free-kick
    ii. When the ball is kicked, teammates of the kicker must be behind the ball. Sanction: free-kick
    iii. The ball must reach the ten-metre line. Sanction: free-kick
    iv. The ball must not go directly into touch. Sanction: free-kick
    v. If the ball is kicked into the opponents’ in-goal without touching any player and an opponent grounds the ball without delay or it goes into touch-in-goal or on or over the dead-ball line, the non-kicking team is awarded a free-kick
  7. Extra time: in the event of a drawn game, the teams will play out two five-minute periods of extra time to decide a winner.
    i. The first try scored in any of the extra time periods wins the match for that team
    ii. No conversions of tries will be taken
    ii.. The losing team receives a bonus point for being within seven points

The issue with law 1 is you might as well say farewell to clever attacking play off a 5m scrum as well as a pushover try. Law 2 seems to be about encouraging to teams to attack from their own in-goal area which isn't always smart. Law 3 sounds nice for some but an early red card could bring about suggestions that the foul play was pre-planned with the aim of taking the opposition's most important player out of the game. Laws 4&5 are unecassary. The free kick sanctions for Law 6, seem to be all about having fewer scrums when at all possbile. As for law 7, drop and penalty goals have been banned which is dumb considering drop goals have been very in handy in deciding World Cup finals that have gone into extra time.

Rugby Australia is always very keen to alter rugby's laws to, in their eyes, improve rugby as a spectacle. Has Rugby Australia tinkered with the laws to the possbile detriment of the Wallabies? I think you could argue they have.

Last edited:

Xaviesta

Supports
Barcelona
Oh and here are some things to keep an eye on if you watch some Super Rugby Aotearoa action.

unchanged_lineup

Tarheel Tech Wizard
Supports
Janet jazz jazz jam
Righto folks, if you watch a Super Rugby AU match this season, here are the law variations to keep an eye on. Fair to say I'm not keen on them.

Super Rugby AU 2021 law changes as per: https://www.theroar.com.au/2021/02/10/new-law-changes-confirmed-for-another-season-of-super-rugby-au/
  1. When an attacking player carrying the ball is held up in the in-goal or knocks the ball on Play restarts with a goal-line drop-out. Say farewell to clever attacking play off a 5m scrum as well as a pushover try.
  2. When a kick enters the in-goal area and is forced by the defending teamPlay restarts with a goal-line drop-out.
  3. A red-carded player can be replaced after 20 minutes, unless the team has already used all their substitutions.
  4. A kick taken from within the defending team’s 50-metre area that travels into touch within the opposition’s 22m having first bounced in the field of play results in a lineout throw to the kicking team.
  5. A kick taken from within the defending team’s 22-metre area that travels into touch within the opposition’s 50-metre are having first bounced in the field of play results in a lineout throw to the kicking team.
  6. Kick-offs
    i. After a team has scored, their opponents restart play with a drop-kick on or behind the centre of the half-way line. The restart kick must be taken within 30 seconds from the time a conversion has been taken or declined, or from the time a penalty goal or dropped goal is kicked. Sanction: free-kick
    ii. When the ball is kicked, teammates of the kicker must be behind the ball. Sanction: free-kick
    iii. The ball must reach the ten-metre line. Sanction: free-kick
    iv. The ball must not go directly into touch. Sanction: free-kick
    v. If the ball is kicked into the opponents’ in-goal without touching any player and an opponent grounds the ball without delay or it goes into touch-in-goal or on or over the dead-ball line, the non-kicking team is awarded a free-kick
  7. Extra time: in the event of a drawn game, the teams will play out two five-minute periods of extra time to decide a winner.
    i. The first try scored in any of the extra time periods wins the match for that team
    ii. No conversions of tries will be taken
    ii.. The losing team receives a bonus point for being within seven points

The issue with law 1 is you might as well say farewell to clever attacking play off a 5m scrum as well as a pushover try. Law 2 seems to be about encouraging to teams to attack from their own in-goal area which isn't always smart. Law 3 sounds nice for some but an early red card could bring about suggestions that the foul play was pre-planned with the aim of taking the opposition's most important player out of the game. Laws 4&5 are unecassary. The free kick sanctions for Law 6, seem to be all about having fewer scrums when at all possbile. As for law 7, drop and penalty goals have been banned which is dumb considering drop goals have been very in handy in deciding World Cup finals that have gone into extra time.

Rugby Australia is always very keen to alter rugby's laws to, in their eyes, improve rugby as a spectacle. Has Rugby Australia tinkered with the laws to the possbile detriment of the Wallabies? I think you could argue they have.
4 and 5 are the only ones that seem vaguely interesting enough. I wonder is it challenging enough though. It'd be better if if was an absolutely elite skill and a rare thing to do.

The rest sound daft to me.

RedRover

Agreed.

I think there could be a few changes, as you say you don't become a bad team overnight. Without wanting to be disrespectful, Italy at the weekend presents an opportunity to make a few changes with some of the new blood and see what they can do. Sometimes players need a kick up the backside, so if some new guys come in and do well it's good for the squad and pushes you on.

That's something Scotland finally have, competition for some key positions and it has helped make players better.
Absolutely. Chance for a few players to put a marker down. We've got a lot of exciting talent for the long term - Randall at 9, Smith/Simmonds/Umaga at 10. Plenty in the back row. Just like to see a few start to be integrated.

Personal choice, but I'd like to see someone with a bit more creativity at 10 and move Farrell out into the centres.

Vault Dweller

Absolutely. Chance for a few players to put a marker down. We've got a lot of exciting talent for the long term - Randall at 9, Smith/Simmonds/Umaga at 10. Plenty in the back row. Just like to see a few start to be integrated.

Personal choice, but I'd like to see someone with a bit more creativity at 10 and move Farrell out into the centres.
I agree about Farrell, he would be better in the centre positions.

RedRover

A bit bewildered by England's selection for Italy on Sunday.

Lawrence dropped after getting one touch of the ball in 60 minutes and can't get on the bench. Sends a terrible message. We know what Ford/Farrell/Slade will bring because we've seen it before so nothing new being learned there in a game we should comfortably win.

No place for either Odogwu or Randall on the bench either. Very disappointing.

Snowjoe

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Staff
Supports
Cheltenham Town
A bit bewildered by England's selection for Italy on Sunday.

Lawrence dropped after getting one touch of the ball in 60 minutes and can't get on the bench. Sends a terrible message. We know what Ford/Farrell/Slade will bring because we've seen it before so nothing new being learned there in a game we should comfortably win.

No place for either Odogwu or Randall on the bench either. Very disappointing.
Does that mean he’s released back to Warriors? We could do with all hands on deck for Wasps at the weekend :lol:

unchanged_lineup

Tarheel Tech Wizard
Supports
Janet jazz jazz jam
Spare a thought for Kieron Marmion along with John Cooney. He does nothing wrong for years, puts his body on the line playing out of position whenever needed, always delivered above what people thought he was capable of when called upon, and can't get a look-in now despite his replacement having awful game after awful game for Ireland.

T00lsh3d

T00ly O' Sh3d
Does that mean he’s released back to Warriors? We could do with all hands on deck for Wasps at the weekend :lol:
You’ll need feck all mate, wasps are hopeless without their England contingent

arnie_ni

Yeah, it's clearly a strange decision. POM is typically the kind of player that shouldn't be given the benefit of doubts.
It's a straight red just because of how unnecessary it was. The player sliding in knees first after the try is scored should be done as well. Pet hate of that mine

T00lsh3d

T00ly O' Sh3d
It's a straight red just because of how unnecessary it was. The player sliding in knees first after the try is scored should be done as well. Pet hate of that mine
Yeah, it’s a right cnuts trick

christy87

Supports
Dipping tea in toast
Sexton and Murray are out for Ireland. Burns gets his first championship start. JGP also starts.

Eek.
To the left, to the right, we are gonna be quite shite.

Yeah this is gonna be a big loss, I think we'll be doing good to keep it to within 20 points.

Keith earls should even be near this squad he's just not good enough anymore, larmor should be starting in his natural position, I'm not totally sold on Lowe either

unchanged_lineup

Tarheel Tech Wizard
Supports
Janet jazz jazz jam
To the left, to the right, we are gonna be quite shite.

Yeah this is gonna be a big loss, I think we'll be doing good to keep it to within 20 points.

Keith earls should even be near this squad he's just not good enough anymore, larmor should be starting in his natural position, I'm not totally sold on Lowe either
I think it would be an almighty upset if it's not a significant loss.

RedRover

I suspect not because of the "bubble" situation but it must be really frustrating for Warriors if he's not even in the squad!

Xaviesta

Supports
Barcelona

I think if this had been the year that Italy pulled their ruck trick and not a few years ago, they might have beaten this England side with the way they played last weekend :D
Still disappointed by World Rugby's reaction to Italy being clever and England looking clueless.

Status
Not open for further replies.