Rugby Union 21/22/23 Discussion | RWC time!

Status
Not open for further replies.

unchanged_lineup

Tarheel Tech Wizard
Leaving A Breakfast On All Of Your Doorsteps
Supports
Janet jazz jazz jam
As soon as Zander got sent off, I just knew it was going to go in Wales’ favour.

OMG, that was an absolute fecking idiotic decision by Price. WTF was he thinking? I literally gave my Mrs a fright when I screamed at the top of my voice towards my tv at him :lol:
Surely could have waited a few phases more! They were doing ok and it was an absolute nothing kick.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
Really? I think Scotland hit hard, they seem to always be able to get over the gainline. They may need some smarts especially in the opponents 22 but I certainly wouldn't call them lightweights.
Not through contacts, they break the line by playing in the intervals or by kicking the ball, whenever they go straight at defenders and try to be physical they lose or should lose. That's why their short kicking game is clever, it allows them to play away from their weakness.

Edit: Just an example of my point, Scotland are currently joint last in terms of offensive tackles with Ireland. They are not a physical team.

Last edited:

RedDevilRoshi

Surely could have waited a few phases more! They were doing ok and it was an absolute nothing kick.
There was literally no valid reason to kick other than gift possession of the ball right back to them. We were 1 point behind. Just build some phases towards the 22. All it would have taken was for either to find a gap to breakthrough and score a try or Wales to concede a penalty and we take a kick at goal.

Rawls

You'll never find, that microfilm of mine
I cannot understand for the life of me how Wales have 9 out of a possible 10 points so far. To the best of my knowledge, they had possession inside the Irish 22 three times last week; ended up getting 2 tries plus a penalty out of that. This week, they were in the Scottish 22 for something like 53 seconds but got 4 tries. Absolutely crazy stuff. Pivac's Scarlets were always good counter-punchers but that level of efficiency is completely and utter unsustainable. If O'Mahony and Fagerson had have cleaned out those rucks properly, Wales are 0/2 and Pivac is under major pressure. Just goes to show how random sports can be.

T00lsh3d

T00ly O' Sh3d
Most important thing now is, if we can back this victory up with a win against Wales next weekend at Murrrayfield. Failure to do so, then today’s huge victory is just going to turn out to be a waste of time. Vitally important now we build on this and have a good campaign.
If you lot revert to type and roll over against Wales at home it will be the most Scottish rugby thing ever
Wellllllll now....

RedDevilRoshi

Wellllllll now....
Yep, well I did say that I was kinda ready for us to feck it up as per below...

:lol:

TBH I’m kind of ready for that as I’ve seen it happen way too often in the past. Hopefully not this time for once!

The moment the red card got shown, I just knew the pendulum was going to swing in Wales’ favour, just like it done last week in their narrow win against Ireland.

I thought we done well, 1st half in particular and deserved the victory only if it wasn’t for Zander getting stupidly sent off which gave the Welsh a huge momentum boost.

unchanged_lineup

Tarheel Tech Wizard
Supports
Janet jazz jazz jam

The moment the red card got shown, I just knew the pendulum was going to swing in Wales’ favour, just like it done last week in their narrow win against Ireland.

I thought we done well, 1st half in particular and deserved the victory only if it wasn’t for Zander getting stupidly sent off which gave the Welsh a huge momentum boost.
The main difference between last week and this week was that Wales were coming back into the game before the red card. It probably would have gone down to the wire even without it.

T00lsh3d

T00ly O' Sh3d

Yeah it’s somewhat unbelievable, Scotland were so good in the first half. Hogg was inspired....never mind that he was insane. First name on the lions sheet.
I think there was a period at the start of the 2nd half where Scotland were in the Wales 22 and didn’t score, then Wales quickly stuck some points on the board, it felt like a minor turning point. But ultimately hinged again on the red card

unchanged_lineup

Tarheel Tech Wizard
Supports
Janet jazz jazz jam
Nigel Owens amongst others agreeing with this in the comments... I didn't know about this rule, I guess because noone ever tried to hurdle a tackle anywhere else on the pitch.

Edit: that "World Rugby Officiating" parody account annoys the feck out of me.

Last edited:

T00lsh3d

T00ly O' Sh3d
Nigel Owens amongst others agreeing with this in the comments... I didn't know about this rule, I guess because noone ever tried to hurdle a tackle anywhere else on the pitch.

Yeah I thought that at the time, there’s a famous Shane williams clip where he ‘hurdles’ a tackle. The rule is that you can’t jump into a tackle (basically to protect the health of the tackler). IMHO there should be a difference of where you jump OVER a diving tackler versus when you jump into a player which is obviously very dangerous

diarm

I don't think I've ever seen so much missed by the referees and TMO in a game as there was in that England Italy game.

It was like they were trialling a new version of rugby where knock ons, forwards passes, crocodile rolls, high tackles and jumping over tackles were all grand.

arnie_ni

Edit: that "World Rugby Officiating" parody account annoys the feck out of me.
It'd a penalty anywhere else on the pitch so should be on the tryline as well.

We have this absolute weapon playing for us at club level, but a great athlete. He done it one day in midfield.

It was the first time I'd ever seen it. Was like something out of nfl

arnie_ni

Yeah I thought that at the time, there’s a famous Shane williams clip where he ‘hurdles’ a tackle. The rule is that you can’t jump into a tackle (basically to protect the health of the tackler). IMHO there should be a difference of where you jump OVER a diving tackler versus when you jump into a player which is obviously very dangerous
Sure if you jump the tackler by law can't tackle you without dangerous play. If you try to jump over me and I stand up and take your legs ill get a red card.

Of course you shouldn't be allowed to jump tackles

unchanged_lineup

Tarheel Tech Wizard
Supports
Janet jazz jazz jam
I don't think I've ever seen so much missed by the referees and TMO in a game as there was in that England Italy game.

It was like they were trialling a new version of rugby where knock ons, forwards passes, crocodile rolls, high tackles and jumping over tackles were all grand.
I had to take a look at a few videos to see what these are again. Fecking hell, they're just a recipe for serious leg injuries. Crazy that players can do this.

diarm

I was about to say our pack are going to have to have the game of their lives if we're to avoid a spanking today.

But last week showed that even the forwards playing out of their skin can't save you if your halfbacks are pish.

That was against a bang average Welsh side and this week we're up against the best halfback pairing in the world and a lethal backline with a somehow even worse set of halfbacks.

It could genuinely get ugly out there.

BusbyMalone

First Man Falling
I thought Ireland played really well against Wales last week despite going a man down. They looked great with the ball in hand, were aggressive, and probably should've won. I still fancy France to win, but a hammering? Not sure about that.

diarm

I thought Ireland played really well against Wales last week despite going a man down. They looked great with the ball in hand, were aggressive, and probably should've won. I still fancy France to win, but a hammering? Not sure about that.
2 wins against 14 men might have flattered Wales but they are a poor side.

France are a very different prospect and are strong in all the areas we are weak.

unchanged_lineup

Tarheel Tech Wizard
Supports
Janet jazz jazz jam

France are a very different prospect and are strong in all the areas we are weak.
Yeah, I think all the signs point very much towards a comfortable France win.

BusbyMalone

First Man Falling

Oh, there's no doubt about that; Wales are definitely a poor side. But to play a game of rugby with 14 men for most of the game is incredibly taxing, and to come out of that as the better team who should have one should lend to some positivity, surely? I'm not saying they're beating France by the way, but I think it could be a good contest for most of the game.

McGrathsipan

Dawn’s less famous husband
15pt loss is what I'm actually thinking as a prediction, and not close either. A consolation try at the end to get it to that margin.
I dont think Farrell is going to last beyond this 6 nations. I know we have a few injuries but i'm not seeing his impact on the team

diarm

We really need someone to come in with the balls Gatland had when he dumped the established order and invested in the youth of Stringer, O'Gara, Horgan, Hayes and O'Driscoll.

There needs to be a serious look taken at what is asked of our head coaches and what pressure is placed on them in terms of selection. We have to move past this thing where is is more difficult to get out of the Irish side than it is getting into it.

T00lsh3d

T00ly O' Sh3d
Quite fancy you boys in green today....it’s high time the french started behaving like the french and fecking up away when they’re supposed to win

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
France should win by at least 10 points. That said, I wonder if Franch supporters like @JPRouve really trust their team to get the job done.
I will only talk for myself. I'm skeptical about the french lack of discipline around rucks, it can cost you a game. Outside of it, I would say that on paper France are better in most areas particular when in possession.

unchanged_lineup

Tarheel Tech Wizard
Supports
Janet jazz jazz jam
We really need someone to come in with the balls Gatland had when he dumped the established order and invested in the youth of Stringer, O'Gara, Horgan, Hayes and O'Driscoll.

There needs to be a serious look taken at what is asked of our head coaches and what pressure is placed on them in terms of selection. We have to move past this thing where is is more difficult to get out of the Irish side than it is getting into it.
Yeah, I was thinking something similar to this. They're almost forced into the situation right now to react like that, yet haven't gone all-in like Gatland did.

kidbob

Seriously Burns isn't good enough. If we aren't going to give Carty a chance then at least just put Harry Byrne in there and hope he pulls an Ntmack on things. God how I wish Carberry got over his injuries so at the very least we'd have some competent replacement for Sexton.

Status
Not open for further replies.