Rugby Union 21/22/23 Discussion | RWC time!

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheReligion

Abusive
England with plenty of work to do but great mental strength and resilience from the lads given the age. Should hopefully go from strength to strength and build on their attacking phases.

Xaviesta

Supports
Barcelona
Yeah it was deserved. Not been overly impressed by us, but other than 20 mins at the end of the first test I don’t think there’s been any time Aus have particularly looked the better side.

Love an NH sweep but can’t see Wales pulling it off.

Commiserations @Xaviesta. How did you rate your guys? I wasn’t overly impressed, but your injury list is a pretty legitimate excuse
I was impressed by the 2nd half of the first test, the 2nd half of the 2nd test was decent enough but too many mistakes across the board. Tonight was frustrating - one great try and some annoying blunders around discipline and ball control.

Xaviesta

Supports
Barcelona
South Africa's series deciding test against Wales will be Eben Etzebeth's 100th test for the Boks. What a player he has been. 'Rassiegate' probably denied him a nomination for World Rugby's player of the year last year.

Last edited:

trevor newnham

Supports
Vigo RFC, Charlton
Danny Care’s England career brutally (re)ended on the 30 minute mark :(
cant blame Jones for that. Danny was having a 'mare. In fact, when van Portvliet came on, England looked better. Shame as Danny Care has had a great career but its over now. Shame

Green_Red

Not a huge follower of rugby but aren’t Ireland beating NZ pretty regularly these days?
The hoodoo has been well and truly broken last few years.

People will make us favourites for world cup after that series but I don't think this NZ team anywhere near the best teams they've had, so a fabourite tag wouldnt be right.

Not sure if NZs best players are now playing in the northern hemisphere now or not but something not right with them, the level of panic when they're on the back foot is uncharacteristic, but I'll take a series win on their home soil any day of the week.

Xaviesta

Supports
Barcelona
Wales respond with well worked try from Tommy Reffell. Sustained possession and moving the Boks around did the job.

Xaviesta

Supports
Barcelona
Cheslin Kolbe has a fractured jaw. We won't see him on a rugby field for a while.

T00lsh3d

T00ly O' Sh3d
cant blame Jones for that. Danny was having a 'mare. In fact, when van Portvliet came on, England looked better. Shame as Danny Care has had a great career but its over now. Shame
Yeah, gutted for him and he’s been so good for Quins I think he thoroughly deserved a recall. He deserved the Shepard’s crook though and JVP has pushed ahead of Randall now….I’d still like a good look at Raffi Quirke at this level though

TheReligion

Abusive
The hoodoo has been well and truly broken last few years.

People will make us favourites for world cup after that series but I don't think this NZ team anywhere near the best teams they've had, so a fabourite tag wouldnt be right.

Not sure if NZs best players are now playing in the northern hemisphere now or not but something not right with them, the level of panic when they're on the back foot is uncharacteristic, but I'll take a series win on their home soil any day of the week.
The French will be in the running for the WC I think.

T00lsh3d

T00ly O' Sh3d
This is the strength of the boks; their depth.
Re: the World Cup, yeah France will be there, they’re favs. NZ are in a rut, so to an extent are England but it’s all a masterplan apparently.
I really fancy South Africa. Yeah they’ve not looked like world beaters recently but they have this brutal attritional game that works well in long tournaments, it’s not all about who can play the prettiest rugby and I’d back SA to win a gritty shitfest over anyone

T00lsh3d

T00ly O' Sh3d
Wales fluffing chances, lineout missed on the 5, then the Adams break. Must convert one soon

freeurmind

weak willed
Much better this week but not surprising given the selection. Wouldn't say any reputations have been enhanced this series, onto the Rugby Championship.

christy87

Supports
Dipping tea in toast
Ireland winning today makes them the only NH national team to win a 3 test series in New Zealand and we could be the last as well with the tv companies wanting a World Series.

France did win a 2 game series in 94 and the lions won there as well.

T00lsh3d

T00ly O' Sh3d
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/62194385

More and more of this happening.

Pretty scary and brings into question the sustainability of the game.

So many high profile players still playing who’ve had several high profile head knocks too.
Quins were using special microchipped gum shields that measures impacts around individual players heads. They then reduced the intensity of training for players that had had a few big bangs in the recent sessions. As well as being a nobrainer (bad pun) for player safety….they then won the league that season. I reckon that’s the way to go. Back in the day (really not that long ago) players would be knocked completely out cold in the morning then be scrummaging again in the afternoon. It’s no surprise really when you reflect on what the guys were put through

diarm

Quins were using special microchipped gum shields that measures impacts around individual players heads. They then reduced the intensity of training for players that had had a few big bangs in the recent sessions. As well as being a nobrainer (bad pun) for player safety….they then won the league that season. I reckon that’s the way to go. Back in the day (really not that long ago) players would be knocked completely out cold in the morning then be scrummaging again in the afternoon. It’s no surprise really when you reflect on what the guys were put through
What a fantastic idea. This should be made mandatory for rugby at all ages, starting immediately.

Swedish_Plumber

That does seem the way to go! I’m sure Leeds Rhinos and other League clubs used that technology too.

Such a shame for that generation as you at though. I know at amateur club level it wasn’t taken seriously until the last couple of years I played. Like you say players had heavy knocks and were just expected to play on. Or the players themselves thought they’d be thought of less by coming off.

diarm

What's happening here?

Just catching up on everything.

COME ON IRELAND!

I'm going to have to find a full length video of the match somewhere.
Tadhg Beirne put in one of the greatest 15 minutes in Irish sporting history to rescue victory from the jaws of defeat.

This after Ardie Savea had put in one the the greatest 15 minutes in NZ sporting history to almost do the same for them.

Astonishing test match.

T00lsh3d

T00ly O' Sh3d
Johnny Sexton will be in trouble i think. He has had so many bangs to the head.
Sexton has had a lot of notable bangs, but as far as I know all the players who have had problems have been forwards? Which makes sense due to the greater amount of rucking, jackaling & scrummaging that they do. Not just matches but in training as well. I’d hope at least that the backs aren’t in as bad nick

Xaviesta

Supports
Barcelona
Arguably the best coach in the world not in charge of a national team spoke to Jim Hamilton on the ''Rugby Pod''.

Xaviesta

Supports
Barcelona
@Xaviesta

What’s up with Michael Hooper?

He is not in the mindset to play for and captain his country. The easy decision would have been to 'tough it out' but he's made the right choice for himself and the team.

Dave Rennie said nothing was evident in the way Hooper trained nor in his leadership throughout the week and that Hooper had masked whatever personal difficulties he had been experiencing.

I think the pressure of playing in and captaining a team that has largely struggled post the 2015 World Cup might have taken its toll which is understandable although that's pure speculation on my part.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
I don't if your theory is correct but it reminds me what Guirado mentioned at the end of the season and in the build up of the Top 14 final. He said that it was very difficult to captain France during the bad times and that it was a huge weight on his shoulder. I thought that it was interesting and great for Guirado and Saint André to win the Brennus, it gave them a lot of peace.

And your theory could be correct because to some extent the Waratahs have also been a bit disappointing.

Status
Not open for further replies.