Rugby Union 21/22/23 Discussion | RWC time!

Status
Not open for further replies.

MoskvaRed

Another tight game. Think England edged it in the end. Doubt they’ll go further now but happy with the semis based on how poor the Borthwick era has been in general.
From an England perspective, this WC has been more enjoyable than I expected. Next week is probably a bridge too far but a SF is not be sniffed at in the context of the last 12 months.

TheReligion

Abusive
In the semis and have not even used their fluke victory card yet. Ominous.
They’ve been managing games very well in my opinion and are well aware of their limitations (as are us England)

The degree of bitterness in here does make me smile mind.

Even a shit England still manage to get everyone going :lol:

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
Oh you should. You will learn most French refs are rubbish:lol:
Okay, so you really didn't know that I was without a doubt the biggest critic of french referees on this forum. You really missed your target on that one. :lol:

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
They’ve been managing games very well in my opinion and are well aware of their limitations (as are us England)

Not “even”, “especially”. And only because your shitness really brings home how badly they messed up a draw which has this England team in the final four. After beating such mediocre opposition to get there.

In the last WC England earned a lot of respect for their performance against the All Blacks. That was superb and didn’t create any begrudgery. Play that well in the next round and you won’t get half as much negativity as you’re getting now.

JPRouve

Scout
The Georgian referee (whose name I always get a mental block about) should really have got some big games this tournament. He’s excellent.
Yeah, the idea that Raynal got a game above him is baffling. I still believe that the FFR pays the IRB to have any french refs at the World Cup. Also there is an african one that was not bad in 2019 but he disappeared, there are also other South African refs that should be in it.

JPRouve

Scout
I’m not sure you follow. I’m just taking the piss. It’s nothing serious :D
I know that it's not serious, you are taking the piss with something that I fully agree with and says at every opportunity. Find a better topic, something that could upset me!

BusbyMalone

First Man Falling

To be fair, they are playing to their strengths, yeah. Very limited but they seem to know that, and what they do have is a tremendous goal kicker. And what we saw in that match was the importance of a good goal kicker. So, well done (he says through gritted teeth!)

dbs235

4 semi finals in the last 6 world cups for England now. The previous 3 all led to making the final.

MoskvaRed

Not “even”, “especially”. And only because your shitness really brings home how badly they messed up a draw which has this England team in the final four. After beating such mediocre opposition to get there.

In the last WC England earned a lot of respect for their performance against the All Blacks. That was superb and didn’t create any begrudgery. Play that well in the next round and you won’t get half as much negativity as you’re getting now.
A disingenuous post. Begrudgery is priced in with England. No one is claiming this is anywhere close to a great England side (and 9/10 times they will lose the SF against France or South Africa) but next weekend will be semi-final number 6. The only one of the previous 5 they didn’t win was when Jonah Lomu gave probably the most devastating individual performance in rugby history. Maybe England deserve a bit of credit for being good at knock out rugby and managing those critical percentages that gets a team over the line.

BusbyMalone

First Man Falling
The Georgian referee (whose name I always get a mental block about) should really have got some big games this tournament. He’s excellent.
That Australian ref if great, too. Always liked him. Very calm and consistent. Like the way he talks to the players and explains himself. Hopefully he gets the final.

TheReligion

Abusive

I mean the draw isn’t England’s fault.

You just sound bitter mate. We all know England aren’t great at the moment and are just enjoying the ride.

Not sure why all the fuss and snide comments in here.

I retired the lamp, everyone's first wish was to ban you and the other admins said no go. So the lamp is useless.
:lol:
I know that it's not serious, you are taking the piss with something that I fully agree with and says at every opportunity. Find a better topic, something that could upset me!
Hold my beer…

T00lsh3d

T00ly O' Sh3d
Missed the whole match for a family semi-emergency :( Have to catch up with it later. Completely fecked now, but glad we won and I get to collapse on the sofa with a pizza and watch the next game

P-Ro

"Full Member"
Supports
Chelsea and AFC Wimbledon
An Irishman, a Welshman and a Scot walk into a bar...
No Englishman is present because they're still in the World Cup.

Withnail

A disingenuous post. Begrudgery is priced in with England. No one is claiming this is anywhere close to a great England side (and 9/10 times they will lose the SF against France or South Africa) but next weekend will be semi-final number 6. The only one of the previous 5 they didn’t win was when Jonah Lomu gave probably the most devastating individual performance in rugby history. Maybe England deserve a bit of credit for being good at knock out rugby and managing those critical percentages that gets a team over the line.
Come on. You can't expect anyone to give England credit for narrowly beating Fiji. Also performance in previous WC's is irrelevant to the current team's performance. If they put up a good fight in the SF and aren't beaten out of the gate they'll get some credit.

Last edited:

Ayush_reddevil

Éire Abú
Missed the whole match for a family semi-emergency :( Have to catch up with it later. Completely fecked now, but glad we won and I get to collapse on the sofa with a pizza and watch the next game
I missed it because I was watching the cricket team getting embarrassed in person in Delhi

P-Ro

"Full Member"
Supports
Chelsea and AFC Wimbledon
I missed it because I was watching the cricket team getting embarrassed in person in Delhi
Are you going to any of the India games when you're there? Looks like an absolutely cracking atmosphere.

MoskvaRed

Come on. You can't expect anyone to give England credit for beating Fiji. Performance in previous WC's is irrelevant to the current team's performance. If they put up a good fight in the SF and aren't beaten out of the gate they'll get some credit.
I’m not blind and would not dream of arguing that two halves of the draw are not lopsided. And, if you want me to say it, yes the current Ireland side would beat this England side comfortably. But the talk around the draw has got exaggerated, I saw a post on here (can’t remember who) saying Scotland would have been by far the best side in the other half of the draw. Based on keeping the SA and Ireland scores under 40? And these things happen - England got France in the QF in Qatar last year when they probably would have beaten 5 of the other 6 quarter-final opponents.

moses

Can't We Just Be Nice?
Staff
I’m not blind and would not dream of arguing that two halves of the draw are not lopsided. And, if you want me to say it, yes the current Ireland side would beat this England side comfortably. But the talk around the draw has got exaggerated, I saw a post on here (can’t remember who) saying Scotland would have been by far the best side in the other half of the draw. Based on keeping the SA and Ireland scores under 40? And these things happen - England got France in the QF in Qatar last year when they probably would have beaten 5 of the other 6 quarter-final opponents.
I think Scotland, ranked 5, would have been the highest ranked team in the other half, which I think was factually correct? Or something? Not sure.

Zen

C'mon France, demolish this boring South African team.

rimaldo

All about the essence
Supports
arse
england very smartly got all their allotted losses out of the way over the past 2 years, leaving them a smooth ride to the trophy. ireland foolishly spent their wins during a period with no world cup.

MoskvaRed

I think Scotland, ranked 5, would have been the highest ranked team in the other half, which I think was factually correct? Or something? Not sure.
Highest-ranked, yes (by a small margin). But the original comment was around “easily the best” rather than “ranked”, implying some clear daylight between Scotland and Eng, Arg, Fiji, Wales etc. Anyway, time to watch what should be a classic game to decide who will get to tonk Engalnd next Saturday.

Traub

I'm a bundle of nerves for the next game. We're going into the game as underdogs and don't have a proper goalkicker. Bricking it.

Status
Not open for further replies.