Rugby World Cup 2015 | Reminiscing Thread

okLaptop1

Supports
Minnesota Vikings
Pretty rubbish that a try can be awarded then actually overturned right.

Grib

They're reviewing it? I thought it was already awarded, can they overturn it like that? Interesting.
Wales scored one against Ireland and the stadium replayed showed theyd used a dif ball for a quick line out and scored. Ref said he couldn't use the stadium replay to make the call so who knows??

I_live_cement

Cat freak
Pretty rubbish that a try can be awarded then actually overturned right.
As long as it's the right decision then it's only a good thing. If everyone in the stadium can see the replay and see that it was a bad call, then why shouldn't it be overturned?

Union is a stop start game anyway, and while obviously you don't want TMO being used every minute, it hardly interrupts with the flow of the game in this situation.

okLaptop1

Supports
Minnesota Vikings
Wales scored one against Ireland and the stadium replayed showed theyd used a dif ball for a quick line out and scored. Ref said he couldn't use the stadium replay to make the call so who knows??
Vague TMO powers and constant rule changes in the breakdown and scrums is why I can't enjoy rugby like I used to.

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
There's been some really sloppy handling tonight.

okLaptop1

Supports
Minnesota Vikings
As long as it's the right decision then it's only a good thing. If everyone in the stadium can see the replay and see that it was a bad call, then why shouldn't it be overturned?

Union is a stop start game anyway, and while obviously you don't want TMO being used every minute, it hardly interrupts with the flow of the game in this situation.
I'm glad that they came to the right decision, but they came to it in stupid way. You shouldn't overturn your own laws to correct a previous misapplication of the rules.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID

That's true as long as it is consistently viewed like that across all games. If we see the ref ignoring the big screen in the next game then it is a pretty big issue I'd have thought...

Traub

I assume there are bonus points in this World Cup? They could be really important in this group.

Mciahel Goodman

Worst Werewolf Player of All Times
Staff
England look bang average. Making hard work of the easiest game in the group.

Grib

Vague TMO powers and constant rule changes in the breakdown and scrums is why I can't enjoy rugby like I used to.
All for correct decisions butif that happend at the other end and the English production team decides not to show the replay...

I_live_cement

Cat freak
That's true as long as it is consistently viewed like that across all games. If we see the ref ignoring the big screen in the next game then it is a pretty big issue I'd have thought...
Good point. They have been quick to have a look at every big play in this game, probably because it's the first game involving the hosts. But so far I don't see a problem with any of the calls.

okLaptop1

Supports
Minnesota Vikings
I assume there are bonus points in this World Cup? They could be really important in this group.
Yep. Bonus point for 4 tries or more, and bonus point for losing by 7 points or less.

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
England look bang average. Making hard work of the easiest game in the group.
Fiji aren't a bad side and playing them first isn't ideal, they tend to start strong ans fade. Expect them to tire around the 6th and England will press on, I'd be quite happy with a 10 point lead at half time.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
All for correct decisions butif that happend at the other end and the English production team decides not to show the replay...
That's very rare, you see biased productions in Football but rarely in Rugby.

JPRouve

Scout
Good point. They have been quick to have a look at every big play in this game, probably because it's the first game involving the hosts. But so far I don't see a problem with any of the calls.
No, Peyper does the same in Super Rugby, actually most referees do that in Super Rugby.

Grib

That's very rare, you see biased productions in Football but rarely in Rugby.
You can't say without doubt someone wouldnt do it, plus its a world cup, people do stupid things, people are biased.

The risk is there

Edit

Sir clives just said the same thing

JPRouve

Scout
You can't say without doubt someone wouldnt do it, plud its a world cup, people do stupid things, people are biased.

The risk is there

Edit

Sir clives just said the same thing
I said it's rare, not that it's impossible.

diarm

England will want to get Jako reffing every game after this. The try was obviously the right call but you can't change your call once awarded based on the video an ITV director decides to put on the big screen. If the same thing happens in the second half to England, they can choose not to put it up and the score will stand. A few of the penalty calls have been shocking as well but England have been the better side in fairness.

They'll not be winning any world cup with that set piece though. Tom Youngs is a hooker who can neither throw nor hook.

diarm

I meant if he sees the clip on the screen.
But how is that fair when what goes up on the screen is controlled by an English television company who have a vested interest in England doing well?

I_live_cement

Cat freak
They'll not be winning any world cup with that set piece though. Tom Youngs is a hooker who can neither throw nor hook.
I think most England fans realise that this tournament has come a couple of years too early. I'm hoping for a solid showing against Wales and Australia and hopefully reaching the semis. You never know though, we reached the final in 2007 with a worse side.

Grib

I meant if he sees the clip on the screen.
Which is the whole point

But anyway just hope for a better game in this second half where play wont be pulled back every few minutes for incidents after plays moved on

Ayush_reddevil

Éire Abú
Don't watch Rugby a lot but the quality so far seems really poor to me, so many mistakes from both sides

diarm

I think most England fans realise that this tournament has come a couple of years too early. I'm hoping for a solid showing against Wales and Australia and hopefully reaching the semis. You never know though, We reached the final in 2007 with a worse side.
You had a much better backrow and a much better set piece in 2007. Your backline is better now and you have a fine group of locks but players like Youngs, Wood, and Robshaw in such critical positions, aren't good enough for a country as good as England.

JPRouve

Scout
But how is that fair when what goes up on the screen is controlled by an English television company who have a vested interest in England doing well?
That's why there is a TMO.

diarm

That's why there is a TMO.
Yes but the TMO didn't interject there after the try was awarded. And he won't do it later in the same circumstances. The ref asked the TMO, based on footage he saw that was put up on the screen by someone with a vested interest.

Anyway, it's done now but in general, the overuse of TMO has been annoying in this game and not in the spirit in which it was first introduced.