Russian invasion of Ukraine | Fewer tweets, more discussion

2cents

Historiographer, and obtainer of rare antiquities
Scout
You are judging me from the comfort of your armchair. You don't know what I've been through. Shameful.
Just because they have been through hell it doesn't change the English language. They can go through hell, we all feel for them, we understand them, we sympathise with them and we don't understand them because we never went through the same thing AND they are cowards.....all statements can he true. One doesn't negate the other. If you want to disprove coward you need to prove bravery or at least why they are not cowards. Just giving excuses doesn't change the fact.
And my original post was about a specific set of people. Not your cousin or uncle or whoever you are annoyed about. I said this group of people SOUND like a bunch of cowards. Sounds like.
You’ve also said they’re “bitching” and “bending over to take it up the arse from the Russians.” The only point of your post was to insult them. It’s an incredibly poor contribution to this thread that reflects badly on you as a poster here.

Brwned

Have you ever been in love before?
Objectively yeah. It fits the definition of coward “a person who is unwilling to do dangerous or unpleasant things by virtue of them being dangerous or unpleasant”

but being cowardly isn’t always a bad thing.
You left out a notable element of the definition which entirely undermines your last sentence.

noun
  1. a person who is contemptibly lacking in the courage to do or endure dangerous or unpleasant things.

adjective
  2. LITERARY
    excessively afraid of danger or pain.

There’s nothing contemptible about being unwilling to fight in a war that’s likely to leave your country in exactly the same position it’s in now, while putting yourself at great risk. That isn’t excessive fear.

There’s a reason why the typical person who’s been drafted into a war wouldn’t use the word cowardly for those wanting to avoid it. Being fearful does not equal cowardice.

Real Name

We have Ukrainian neighbours in our building. A cuople with a small child and a dog. They're always like dont want to bother when I meet then in a hallway, kind of afraid even. Poor people, thousands kilometres from their homeland and living in a different country. I wonder if the the guy got the draft papers alread or whats the situation.
I guess the fact he's in Croatia and not on the front makes him a coward?

Also my daughter has an Ukrainian girl in her class, her family has been in Croatia from the first few months of the war. Bunch of cowards.

You are judging me from the comfort of your armchair.
Oh the irony..

UpWithRivers

It can also simply be to value your own life, health and wellbeing and your friends rather than throwing it away for a project that looks doomed to fail.
Sure. Not disagreeing. Might get a Good Decision Medal. I doubt you would be getting the Victoria cross

africanspur

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
Sure. Not disagreeing. Might get a Good Decision Medal. I doubt you would be getting the Victoria cross
Big difference between getting a victoria cross and 'bending over to take it up the ass from the Russians'.

You can see that right? And see that that kind of choice of words is incredibly distasteful, especially considering the circumstances?

UpWithRivers

You’ve also said they’re “bitching” and “bending over to take it up the arse from the Russians.” The only point of your post was to insult them. It’s an incredibly poor contribution to this thread that reflects badly on you as a poster here.
I didnt insult all Ukrainians in the world ever. I said this group of people sound like. SOUND like. And they were stating that the War should never been fought. They might be right but that to me seems like bending over and taking it from the Russians and I disagree with it.

I see nothing wrong with what I said. If a group of lads are in the pub complaining and bitching and I said stop 'Bitching and moaning. You sound like a bunch of women.' Does that mean all men in the world are a bunch of women? Does that mean I think all women are moaners.

People need to get a grip.

UpWithRivers

Big difference between getting a victoria cross and 'bending over to take it up the ass from the Russians'.

You can see that right? And see that that kind of choice of words is incredibly distasteful, especially considering the circumstances?
I said the view point that the War should not be fought is basically saying bend over and take it from the Russians. Its an analogy. That doesnt mean all Ukrainians are gay and they want to make love to Russians or whatever other nonsense you are putting in my mouth. It not disrespectful. It just a saying. Are we going to just bend over to City in the FA cup? Does that mean I now hate United?

Get over it.

UpWithRivers

We have Ukrainian neighbours in our building. A cuople with a small child and a dog. They're always like dont want to bother when I meet then in a hallway, kind of afraid even. Poor people, thousands kilometres from their homeland and living in a different country. I wonder if the the guy got the draft papers alread or whats the situation.
I guess the fact he's in Croatia and not on the front makes him a coward?

Also my daughter has an Ukrainian girl in her class, her family has been in Croatia from the first few months of the war. Bunch of cowards.

Oh the irony..
Again see above comments. I said this specific bunch of people SOUND like a bunch of cowards. That was not saying all Ukrainians and children are cowards does it?

Get a grip

PS and I was purposely being ironic. See previous comment

Real Name

Again see above comments. I said this specific bunch of people SOUND like a bunch of cowards. That was not saying all Ukrainians and children are cowards does it?

Get a grip

PS and I was purposely being ironic. See previous comment
You're burying yourself further.

africanspur

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
I said the view point that the War should not be fought is basically saying bend over and take it from the Russians. Its an analogy. That doesnt mean all Ukrainians are gay and they want to make love to Russians or whatever other nonsense you are putting in my mouth. It not disrespectful. It just a saying. Are we going to just bend over to City in the FA cup? Does that mean I now hate United?

Get over it.
What? I didn't put words in your mouth, I didn't say you said Ukrainians are gay or even that what you said is disrespectful (though it is). I literally just said what you said back to you.

AfonsoAlves

Seem's like you would make a fantastic Pte in Donetsk after all, given the amount of digging you're doing.

nimic

something nice
Scout
I didnt insult all Ukrainians in the world ever. I said this group of people sound like. SOUND like. And they were stating that the War should never been fought. They might be right but that to me seems like bending over and taking it from the Russians and I disagree with it.

I see nothing wrong with what I said. If a group of lads are in the pub complaining and bitching and I said stop 'Bitching and moaning. You sound like a bunch of women.' Does that mean all men in the world are a bunch of women? Does that mean I think all women are moaners.

People need to get a grip.
Oh come off it. You deliberately chose to make your point in a very provocative way. Either you knew you were going to get the reactions and that's why you said it that way, or you didn't and you need to work on your social antenna and learn to read the room.

DT12

Supports
Everton
Why? If I'm wrong I apologize. But I need to see what I did so I don't repeat it
In my opinion, this is where you're going wrong:

All those Ukrainian men currently abroad - if someone came up to them and threatened the well-being of their children, wives, girlfriends, mothers, etc, they would fight to the death to protect them.

If someone said to them: break into London zoo at night and fight a lion, they wouldn't do it. Not because they're cowards, but because it's a dumb and literally senseless thing to do.

It's not that they don't want to fight. It's that they don't want to fight FOR THIS. It's not a question of cowardice. You're not a coward if I dare you to jump off a building and you decline.

This is why it is shameful that the Western politicians have cast this war as "a fight for all of Europe!", effectively guilt-tripping Ukrainians into fighting "democracy's existential war" on their behalf. I have contempt for Zelenskiy because instead of debasing himself by having to publicly beg for the ability to fight "Europe's war" he should say to the West "Fine, YOU fight it then, if you genuinely believe your own bullshit about how the global order is going to collapse if Ukraine loses".

That ought to help you see where you went wrong.

I also suggest you read this and ruminate on it a little before throwing accusations of cowardice around at those who seek to avoid a WW1-level of carnage. The final stanza is effectively addressed to you.

https://www.poetryfoundation.org/poems/46560/dulce-et-decorum-est

Gehrman

Phallic connoisseur, unlike shamans
Not being willing to throw yourself and your children into the meatgrinder isnt cowardice. Its basic intelligence and value of human life. Ive met so many veterans including my older half older brother who fought in Iraq and cant make sense of what it was all far. Even if they didnt die or have their limbs blown off many of their comrades did. With Ukraine its been WW1 levels of war of attrition and it does not seem that Russia can be pushed back to the borders pre invasion bar a genuine Nato intervention which very obviously isnt going to happen.

Last edited:

AfonsoAlves

Not being willing to throw yourself and your children into the meatgrinder isnt cowardice. Its basic intelligence and value of human life. Ive met some many veterans including my older half older brother who fought in Iraq and cant make sense of what it was all far. Even if they didnt die or have their limbs blown off many of their comrades did. With Ukraine its been WW1 levels of war of attrition and it does not seem that Russia can be pushed back to the borders pre invasion bar a genuine Nato intervention which very obviously isnt going to happen.
I never saw any combat action in the middle east and those tours fecked me up good and proper. It isn't the fighting that gets you.

It's when you have stories of how an Afghan soldier turned rank and blasted his own compatriots and you're in a room with them as they all smile and nod at you as you speak.
It's the constant anxiety you have, the outrageously elevated levels of stress that you cannot bring down - that you can't relax no matter where you are even when you are surrounded by people you trust.

The moment you come home you just don't know how to be normal again. You sit on your couch in front of the Tele with nothing around you that is dangerous and you have no idea how to behave.

It's the constant fear.

Mainoonited

It's shocking how a handful of people sitting behind a computer screen want Ukranians to fight a war many of them no longer want to fight. Territory is not more important than human life. At some point you have to know when it should stop. The Global West should be working with China to get Russia and Ukraine to end the war.

Gehrman

I never saw any combat action in the middle east and those tours fecked me up good and proper. It isn't the fighting that gets you.

It's when you have stories of how an Afghan soldier turned rank and blasted his own compatriots and you're in a room with them as they all smile and nod at you as you speak.
It's the constant anxiety you have, the outrageously elevated levels of stress that you cannot bring down - that you can't relax no matter where you are even when you are surrounded by people you trust.

The moment you come home you just don't know how to be normal again. You sit on your couch in front of the Tele with nothing around you that is dangerous and you have no idea how to behave.

It's the constant fear.
Its not just that. Its the level of evil that that the enemy/foe/whatever is willing to stoop to. Ive recently befriended a veteran of Iraq and Afghanistan. He has PTSD. He said that the most disturbing thing he experienced was a baby wagon with a baby in it. On further inspection he saw the babies torso had been carved out and fitted with a bomb. And then he ran and screamed "Its a bomb!" before it went off. Further more I know another veteran from Kosovo who disarmed mines and bombs and told how often it was hidden it childrens toys.

Gehrman

Lots of flexing about armchair ownership in this thread :angel:
Many great men started wars from their armchairs. From Emperors, to Kings, to Presidents, Prime Ministers and online wars on Football forums.

the hea

It's shocking how a handful of people sitting behind a computer screen want Ukranians to fight a war many of them no longer want to fight. Territory is not more important than human life. At some point you have to know when it should stop. The Global West should be working with China to get Russia and Ukraine to end the war.
Even more shocking how a handful of people sitting behind a computer screen has decided that the Ukrainians no longer wants to fight for their country and their freedome.

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
Even more shocking how a handful of people sitting behind a computer screen has decided that the Ukrainians no longer wants to fight for their country and their freedome.
Huh? No one decided this. It's just that there are Ukrainians who don't want to fight and some anecdotal stories were shared of conversations with Ukrainian refugees.

And it's not a new thing. In all wars you'll have people who don't want to fight. It doesn't necessarily diminish the cause. There are still hundreds of thousands of Ukrainian personnel in combat or non-combat roles in the war. The worry is what happens when there aren't enough replacements and mobilization is a highly sensitive topic within Ukraine too.

the hea

Huh? No one decided this. It's just that there are Ukrainians who don't want to fight and some anecdotal stories were shared of conversations with Ukrainian refugees.

And it's not a new thing. In all wars you'll have people who don't want to fight. It doesn't necessarily diminish the cause. There are still hundreds of thousands of Ukrainian personnel in combat or non-combat roles in the war. The worry is what happens when there aren't enough replacements and mobilization is a highly sensitive topic within Ukraine too.
If people don't want to fight, it's their choice but just because some people decides to run away doesn't mean that the rest of the people should be forced into some shitty peace deal they have no desire for like the guy I quoted was insinuating.

Gehrman

If people don't want to fight, it's their choice but just because some people decides to run away doesn't mean that the rest of the people should be forced into some shitty peace deal they have no desire for like the guy I quoted was insinuating.
If eventually Ukraine runs out of manpower they will be forced to one way or another. Armchair experts or not. Apart perhaps from some Russians on the CAF no one else is rooting for Russia here.

DT12

Supports
Everton
Perhaps relevant to the current line of discussion: here's the latest video from the 'Ukrainian Interviews' channel. It's basically one brave (because he's harrassed by the Ukrainian authorities) guy who goes around Kiev and other cities asking Ukrainians their opinions of the war. The topic of this one was "How will the war end?" His English isn't the best, hence the mistakes in the subtitles sometimes, but you'll get the gist. He has a video from a year ago asking this same question and it's instructive to see how the answers are changing.

the hea

If eventually Ukraine runs out of manpower they will be forced to one way or another. Armchair experts or not. Apart perhaps from some Russians on the CAF no one else is rooting for Russia here.
Thats how it works yes but it's the Ukrainians who will decide if and when that happens. Not China, not Russia and not the "global west" (whoever that is).
There might not be that many that are directly rooting for Russia but there are certinly quite a lot who are acting like useful idiots.

Gehrman

Thats how it works yes but it's the Ukrainians who will decide if and when that happens. Not China, not Russia and not the "global west" (whoever that is).
There might not be that many that are directly rooting for Russia but there are certinly quite a lot who are acting like useful idiots.
For sure, but Ukraine is massively reliant on western aid. If that has an expiration date then their hand is forced.

Mainoonited

If Ukranians wanted to fight, they wouldn't be forcing people to sign up and cutting off consular services.

the hea

If Ukranians wanted to fight, they wouldn't be forcing people to sign up and cutting off consular services.
The consular service restrictions are only temporary while the new mobilization law is being implemented. The restrictions will be lifted tomorrow when the new law comes into force.
As for your other claim I'd be happy yo see some evidence of those claims.

Last edited:

Mainoonited

The consular service restrictions are only temporary while the new mobilization law is being implemented. The restrictions will be lifted tomorrow when the new law comes into force.
As for your other claim I'd be happy yo see some evidence of those claims.
If you're so ideologically involved, go fight alongside them. Plenty of people joined up at the start of the war - at least they have the right to tell Ukranians to fight.

You can't be sat in your basement on the keyboard asking people to die for a war they want to end.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
If you're so ideologically involved, go fight alongside them. Plenty of people joined up at the start of the war - at least they have the right to tell Ukranians to fight.

You can't be sat in your basement on the keyboard asking people to die for a war they want to end.
This is a misrepresentation of what is happening. Its the Ukrainians who are doing the fighting because they want to avoid going back to the USSR, not the West coaxing unwilling Ukrainians to fight the Russians.

Smores

I occasionally scan this thread and it's surprising how often it's the same folk arguing over very black and white often hyperbolic statements.

Apparently the only options are fighting an existential threat against the USSR or being a coward. There couldn't possibly be Ukrainians who are somewhere in between those two positions.

maniak

Supports
Arsenal
An old bloke from my hometown fled to france when he was drafted to fight for portugal in angola. A couple of years later he volunteered to fight in timor against the indonesians. Not sure if he's a coward or a brave man.

Gehrman

I occasionally scan this thread and it's surprising how often it's the same folk arguing over very black and white often hyperbolic statements.

Apparently the only options are fighting an existential threat against the USSR or being a coward. There couldn't possibly be Ukrainians who are somewhere in between those two positions.
Well its either bending over backwards and taking it in the arse or throwing yourself into the meat grinder. Both attractive options.

the hea

Where have I asked anyone to die or even to fight?
I was objecting to your opinion that Ukraine should be pressured by the rest of the world into some peace deal they don't desire.
No one is forcing the Ukrainians to defend themself, they choose to do that themself and no one should force them into a peace deal they don't desire.

Suedesi

I live in Poland in a city with the most number of Ukrainian refugees and immigrants and overall interact a lot with Ukrainians due to nature of my work.
Over the past few months, I've had several discussions about the war with them, men or women and here are my most honest observations from what I've been told:

- Almost none of them believes Ukraine can get their territory back. All they talk about is ending the war before they lose even more men and territory. I had a haircut today and my hairdresser, Daria from Kherson, was saying how her family has moved to Poland too. She said, "I've accepted that we're never going back. Our home is permanently gone, so we have to make new home here."

- The mood among the men is even more intense, especially after the recent consular services ban. I have a good friend of 4 years, here, he's been living in Poland since 2015. He's furious. He says: "I absolutely hate the Russian regime, but what our gov't is doing is crazy. Look at the size of Russia! How can we expect to beat them as our population shrinks further and further and we don't have anywhere near as many resources as we do. Everyday more and more people die. For what? For reaching the same conclusion or worse than can be reached right now? And now it's focusing on people like me and hundreds of thousand more Ukrainian men who've been living here for years. Long before the war!? Only a very deluded person (Zelensky) can believe we can get major territories back, let alone Crimea. Everyday I see on Telegram videos of random bystander men being kidnapped at bus stations or grocery stores to enlist and go to the front-line. It's crazy !! How are these soldiers supposed to have motivation to fight?

- There is another group that genuinely now believe Zelensky has always been a Russian asset. my Ex is from Odessa (she lives here in Poland) and she was saying that in Odessan cycles now there is genuine rumours that Zelensky has always been an FSB asset. How he was so unprepared for the invasion, he didn't heed to warnings of Western Intelligence services, how he denied advise of NATO generals regarding the failed counter-offensive effort, how he's let major corruption run rampant in the personnel and how, this part very sad: "He's selling our future.There is no winning for us in this war. Everyday it continues, we'll lose more. We're left with an unpayable debt, our most fertile lands sold to American corporations, and our bravest and most capable generation of men either dead or on the run who'll never come back to Ukraine due to fear of being prosecuted escaping draft. This consular services ban just ensure more and more Ukrainians will never return home even after it's over.

No one wants to die. That's what I gather from my conversations with lots of Ukrainian men here. It's all nice for us to say: "Western weapons & strategy + Ukrainian manpower" is the formula to victory, but anyone who wanted to genuinely join the war effort and go to the front-lines risking their lives, has already done that. That's why the manpower debate is so vital. Also, earlier in the war, very few Ukrainians were talking about un-payable national debt and selling best lands to American corporations, but now it's becoming a lot more of a talking point. Also, Zelensky firing Zaluzhny seems to have lost him lots of support, since Zaluzhny appears to be the more popular of the two now.

It's a really dire and lose-lose situaiton to be honest. I don't know what the solution is, but the real ordinary people are hurting very bad. Be it if they are in Ukraine or outside of it. and they want an end to it much sooner than later.
Ya Russian troll, Putin apologist, Kremlin propagandist...

I largely agree with your observations. The situation seems increasingly dire, with many Ukrainians losing hope of ever returning to their homeland, and the emotional toll is palpable, as families like Daria's accept that their homes are gone forever, and the men feel trapped in an endless conflict with no viable path to victory. The continued loss of life and resources for an outcome that seems increasingly unattainable is truly tragic.

Just one tiny detail though: Zelenskiy as a Russian asset? Please. There's no secret spy thriller here. He’s just a well-meaning actor that has been reciting lines fed by Western directors and only now realizing he's in way over his head.

Simbo

Current home of Russia's black sea fleet and nearby refinery has took a battering. They claim they shot down all drones of course (with their faces).

AfonsoAlves

Ya Russian troll, Putin apologist, Kremlin propagandist...

I largely agree with your observations. The situation seems increasingly dire, with many Ukrainians losing hope of ever returning to their homeland, and the emotional toll is palpable, as families like Daria's accept that their homes are gone forever, and the men feel trapped in an endless conflict with no viable path to victory. The continued loss of life and resources for an outcome that seems increasingly unattainable is truly tragic.

Just one tiny detail though: Zelenskiy as a Russian asset? Please. There's no secret spy thriller here. He’s just a well-meaning actor that has been reciting lines fed by Western directors and only now realizing he's in way over his head.
All of this could have been duly avoided if a country didn't have delusions of grandeur wanting to bring back the days of wanton annexation.

Apparently it's all the West's fault, yet again, for Russian deciding, out of its own free will, to invade another sovereign country.