Russian invasion of Ukraine | Fewer tweets, more discussion

Smithy89

Is this just about Ukraine and sticking his fingers up to the west? Or how long before he decides he wants other former soviet states.

Hound Dog

Supports
Whoever I bet on
Any Russian here? I would like to hear Russian point of view what they say about this war, and reasons behind it !
I am pretty sure that anyone who would align with the mainstream Russian version of this war has either been banned or never made it out of the Newbies. The forum is extremely left-leaning.

nimic

something nice
Scout
Is this just about Ukraine and sticking his fingers up to the west? Or how long before he decides he wants other former soviet states.
He already has Belarus. The Baltics aren't happening, realistically. Georgia might be in trouble. The Central Asian republics aren't exactly his, but they're definitely not hostile. It seems unlikely that this is just about Ukraine.

The Firestarter

He already has Belarus. The Baltics aren't happening, realistically. Georgia might be in trouble. The Central Asian republics aren't exactly his, but they're definitely not hostile. It seems unlikely that this is just about Ukraine.
Can't help but think Moldova is next.

Danny1982

Sectarian Hipster
To be fair, the US did not border Iraq. Ukraine also is not as flat as Iraq. I also hazard a guess that Iraqi people had more weapons in their hand than the Ukrainians.
If what we're hearing about the Ukrainian army and people is even nearly correct then it's not the slightest bit comparable to the situation with Iraq in 2003. Iraq had a wrecked army, no weapons, wrecked economy, and the majority of Iraqis hated Saddam (let alone fight for him), and it still took the US and the UK 3 weeks to topple his government. By the way, the areas the US and UK invaded in Iraq were also as flat as Ukraine, and Iraq is actually less than half the size of Ukraine (if you take out Kurdistan and the Western deserts).

@harms , stay safe mate!

FreakyJim

90% of teams play better football than us
Knowing the russian precision and finesse, what are the chances these fecks hit Chernobyl by accident or by "accident"? I'd say pretty high.

Mihai

So those mobile crematoriums will be used to cover up losses? Don't wanna show dead Russian bodies to the public?
Apparently it's a wide spread tactics used since 2014. Crematoriums, unmarked graves or anonymous coffins.

fergieisold

People need to stand together and push back. Once he takes Ukraine, he will target more. Soon others will become the minority. All you hear is sanctions, sanctions bla bla bla. Waste of space. Get boots on the ground and defend
It's a bit concerning that countries more aligned with peace cede too much to an aggressive nation. Where will the line be drawn? It has to be somewhere.

MTF

Not Poland. Poland is NATO.
The US, UK and France need to put a bit more muscle behind that commitment. AFAIK all the US heavy divisions are US based now (as opposed to during Cold War), takes a lot of logistics to move any of them to Europe, doesn't work well on short notice. I would hope they'll really ramp the Eastern Europe deployments in next few weeks/months.

owlo

Yeah I get you, I'm angry too. This is all just very upsetting, and that's the feeling that made me post it in the first place. Maybe not helpful or productive.
Fair. Sorry for my overreacting reply. As somebody who's been an analyst and had people burst in and tell you how you're stupid and got everything wrong, it's really upsetting. Because all you do is your best, and you know the damage you've likely caused as you see it playing out on TV for weeks. It's guilt. Even now, when my words mean nothing. I feel like the asshole.

@Rado_N Yea, deep breaths etc. I'm stepping back now.

owlo

It doesn't take much time, though. They have those pontoon bridge vehicles that can setup in moments (I don't know how long it actually takes) to make a crossing. Plus, they can undeploy and redeploy, so no resources are really used.
Yea they have a special brigade to repair rail infrastructure and bridges. Doesn't mean that it won't severely disrupt them though, especially if you're placing timed charges.

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert
Can anyone corroborate this?

cyberman

Presumably this is the line that cannot be crossed as it will cause ww3. Are we so sure Putin cares? I feel a little bit pre covid at the moment...'it won't affect us' type of feeling. :nervous:
I can’t shake this myself. It all seems to be don’t fight back v Putin or it’ll be WW3 so Putin can do what he likes? Why would we defend anybody else then? Because Ukraine aren’t a part of some organisation?
They’ll be an excuse next time as well

FreakyJim

90% of teams play better football than us
Presumably this is the line that cannot be crossed as it will cause ww3. Are we so sure Putin cares? I feel a little bit pre covid at the moment...'it won't affect us' type of feeling. :nervous:
He always seemed to me exactly the type to end the world. Looks and acts like a sociopath.

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert
Yeah let's work on climate change with the guy that just threatened us with nuclear war.

Mad.
Russia has biggest land mass of any country so id imagine they’d get a seat at a table no matter how much you hated them.

That'sHernandez

Ominously close to getting banned
Can anyone corroborate this?

It seems obvious given the numbers in defence vs the numbers attacking.

Looking at the replies in this thread; it seems I am alone in hoping for a swift Russian victory to end the conflict with as few lives lost as possible.

MoskvaRed

I don't think he'll dare to touch the Baltics. Not yet anyway. This could cause a WW
Not directly but he could still use other intimidation tactics claiming that the ethnic Russian populations are being persecuted. Although, after today, I would hope there is no more room for illusion on the NATO side and that any aggression against those three states would result in a military response, even if limited to cyberattacks.

Relfy

I can't imagine that he dares step into NATO territory. That would spell a real war, and I don't imagine anyone really has the appetite for that, or for a real dust up with each other. Let's hope this ends as peacefully as possible and things get scaled back.

All the best to any Ukrainian posters on the forum

MadMike

You want to know the difference?

NATO is NOThing without the US. That's the only difference.

Sums it up perfectly. Protecting US interests.

So why the feck are we all up in arms when another country (aka Russia) does the same?

Sure - let's flip that around again - why shouldn't Cuba have long range missiles if they want to be a sovereign nation?
CSTO is also nothing without Russia yet we can tell the difference between CSTO and Russia. You still not making sense Dick.

When America goes to war to protect their interests, we're often up in arms to protest at the unfairness of it. The protests against the war in Iraq were the largest protests the country had ever seen. So of course we'll be up in arms if Russia does that. How are you confused by this?

You realise the difference between having an army and having nukes right? The US didn't invade Cuba by the way. And NATO didn't place nuclear weapons near Russia either.

Last edited: