Russian invasion of Ukraine | Fewer tweets, more discussion

Droid_Repairs

It must be very insulting to Ukrainians to hear that we're sending forces into other neighbouring countries but we're not willing to help them.

I think we all understand the reasons but their must be some sense of betrayal for them.
A Ukrainian I was speaking to on discord was actually very grateful for the support and military hardware the UK had given them, he couldn't stop thanking me which I found quite surprising. I think they understand that NATO involvement could mean the end of all things as we know them. It's a horrible decision to make, but NATO's hands are pretty tied.

pocco

loco
Keep a clean shit tomorrow, United is my final bus
There is no way Putin will try to invade a NATO country.
I don't think he'll dare to touch the Baltics. Not yet anyway. This could cause a WW
Don't believe that anymore. Putin knows the rest of the world won't risk standing up to him in fear of a nuclear war. There's more chance he invades all those countries, NATO does nothing, and becomes a worthless union and practically ceases to exist than there is that they will go to war with Russia.

Of course, but it's not like Ukraine can just intercept all missiles & Russian airpower. Lots of talk about Ukrainian military modernization since Crimea, but the same is true for Russia who is still a top 3 military power in the world.
Russia will easily overrun Ukraine's military. It's not surprising that airfields and naval bases have quickly fallen. Russia might get a bloody nose but they will win, the joker is how up for the fight the Ukrainian people are. The invasion will be easy, the occupation might not be.

Don't believe that anymore. Putin knows the rest of the world won't risk standing up to him in fear of a nuclear war. There's more chance he invades all those countries, NATO does nothing, and becomes a worthless union and practically ceases to exist than there is that they will go to war with Russia.
Not going to happen. Nato will force him out of any member state, as long as they don't chase him all the way back to Moscow he's not going to start a nuclear war.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
It seems obvious given the numbers in defence vs the numbers attacking.

Looking at the replies in this thread; it seems I am alone in hoping for a swift Russian victory to end the conflict with as few lives lost as possible.
You are not alone. Pride is overrated, most of the people that would die and suffer in a long conflict don't deserve it and if we are honest at a very basic level, the name of your country doesn't matter. Now I totally get that we have been raised into being proudful and in the glorification of potentially fighting for the flag but those aren't basic needs or requirements for a happy, peaceful life. And those sentiments built around patriotism and pride are the ones that seemingly move Putin, his speech and the subsequent communication reeks of people that can't accept the end of the Russian Empire and then the high stature of the USSR.

I probably sound like a hippie. :lol:

Classical Mechanic

National Pride? This is their country and freedom, not a football match.
Not just that. Ukranians were brutally oppressed under Soviet Russian rule. Millions transported to die as slaves in the gulags and millions dead in famines. A lot of this happened in the 20th century. Millions of Ukranians will have had parents and grandparents that experienced this first and second hand.

Smores

A Ukrainian I was speaking to on discord was actually very grateful for the support and military hardware the UK had given them, he couldn't stop thanking me which I found quite surprising. I think they understand that NATO involvement could mean the end of all things as we know them. It's a horrible decision to make, but NATO's hands are pretty tied.
Yeah i wonder if that opinion will last though. The worry is creating a narrative of why align with the west for security when they won't even help you under actual invasion.

Van Piorsing

Lost his light sabre
Sanctions will probably mean not much if Russia have pact with China. With help of economic backing Putin will be even more confident... to be honest, he already looking like clear winner in all of this.

Skåre Willoch

I can't imagine he decided on a full scale invasion into Ukraine with absolute certainty NATO will not step in military wise. I can't understand why Putin would believe he is prepared for that worst case scenario but he must have believed so to start this war.
I mean, there was a risk of NATO involvement, but I guess that's where the whole "slow" escalation process with training etc right on the border was for? This seems very well calculated, and It quickly became quite obvious (it was even said specifically by Stoltenberg, Biden etc, no?) that NATO wouldn't send any forces to Ukraine.

That'sHernandez

Ominously close to getting banned
You are not alone. Pride is overrated, most of the people that would die and suffer in a long conflict don't deserve it and if we are honest at a very basic level, the name of your country doesn't matter. Now I totally get that we have been raised into being proudful and in the glorification of potentially fighting for the flag but those aren't basic needs or requirements for a happy, peaceful life. And those sentiments built around patriotism and pride are the ones that seemingly move Putin, his speech and the subsequent communication reeks of people that can't accept the end of the Russian Empire and then the high stature of the USSR.

I probably sound like a hippie. :lol:
Not at all, at least not to me. I just don't get it, I want to live in a world without national divides or borders. Where as long as you are contributing in a positive way to society, you can live wherever you want. Perhaps I too sound like a hippy.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
But how else would the UK be able to buy a shitton of oil then :confused:
The UK isn’t reliant on Rus oil. It only makes up a relatively small percentage.

The problem is that countries like Germany are and if they’re not getting it from Russia it’s coming out of the same stock as the UK is currently buying from.

Siorac

Yeah, Poland is literally unthinkable. Baltics too.
Why though?

I mean, every argument against NATO intervening in Ukraine runs along the lines of "it's not worth it to start WW3". Would the US or Germany be more amenable to the idea of WW3 if it was in the defence of Latvia instead of Ukraine?

André Dominguez

Supports
Benfica, Académica
It must be very insulting to Ukrainians to hear that we're sending forces into other neighbouring countries but we're not willing to help them.

I think we all understand the reasons but their must be some sense of betrayal for them.
They have every reasons to feel betrayed: they gave up their nuclear weapons in exchange of protection that never happened.

The Firestarter

The UK isn’t reliant on Rus oil. It only makes up a relatively small percentage.

The problem is that countries like Germany are and if they’re not getting it from Russia it’s coming out of the same stock as the UK is currently buying from.
Any business with Russia needs to stop pronto.

Abizzz

Why though?

I mean, every argument against NATO intervening in Ukraine runs along the lines of "it's not worth it to start WW3". Would the US or Germany be more amenable to the idea of WW3 if it was in the defence of Latvia instead of Ukraine?
It doesn't matter. The US will take the lead the second any place with US forces inside NATO is involved. And the US has forces in all those places.

nimic

something nice
Scout
Why though?

Honestly? Yes, very much so. It's the very point of NATO, and it's in every NATO country's interest to make sure that the principle of collective security stay, at least in the current world. If NATO or the EU fail to defend Latvia, then who is next? Germany isn't safe either at that point.