Russian invasion of Ukraine | Fewer tweets, more discussion

owlo

He seems to be predicating this on Kyiv falling and being able to dictate 'peace' terms from there.

If it turns into a large scale insurgency then Russia are toast. Ukrainian platoons for the most part seem to be in retreat [wisely], just need to keep some form of command and control.

Interesting that he IS being risk averse and staying out of the cities [other than Kyiv]

@VorZakone Hard to get anything reliable currently. If Mariupol and Odessa are holding out, it'd probably signal the above (that he intends to dictate 'peace' terms from Kyiv.) He needs this to end fast; I still maintain he doesn't have the military capacity for drawn out war.

The Firestarter

Wonder how UAF would have done with a hundred A-10 for example. I know, without air superiority would be useless, but still this was the terrain / situation it was built for.

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
Yeah, it's just some people saying it as a "where will he stop?" He won't go any further than Ukraine I think as too much damage will have been done

There is no benefit to even fighting with them, unless he uses the logic of "well NATO forces are on the border again"

But it's a weird one. If you give him nothing left to lose then he may we'll go all out for whatever he can do which is then 100% leading to a 'physical' (can't think of another word) war between them and the West
I don’t even see what the point of invading Poland would be in 2022. It’s not like he could claim this as Russia territory, or would have anything to gain. It would be purely to destroy the country. He may as well go for Germany and France in that case who at least have strong economy to target.

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
Russian military forces are moving to decapitate the Ukrainian government in Kyiv, the Pentagon said on Thursday in a grim assessment of the first stages of President Vladimir Putin’s invasion of Ukraine

Van Piorsing

Lost his light sabre
In case of further casualties Zelensky should simply consider surrendering and talking Putin into sparing life of his countrymen.

This is not about pride, it's about preventing another holocaust. Ukraine was never ready for this war to begin and their people shouldn't die in the name of Banderism.

There's still time for countless lifes to be spared... or let the vicious cycle of history repeat.

Other than that - F*ck. This. Shit.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
This is absolutely insane. Cannot believe what I’m seeing and reading.

GDaly95

Says he's one of the best posters
In case of further casualties Zelensky should simply consider surrendering and talking Putin into sparing life of his countrymen.

This is not about pride, it's about preventing another holocaust. Ukraine was never ready for this war to begin and their people shouldn't die in the name of Banderism.

There's still time for countless lifes to be spared... or let the vicious cycle of history repeat.

He said he tried to call and didn't get an answer. I don't think Putin wants to talk anymore.

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
This is absolutely insane. Cannot believe what I’m seeing and reading.
I can't describe the feeling when I woke up and opened the news app on my phone. Immense headline saying Russia invaded Ukraine.

It's quite surreal.

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
Question: if these civilians are turned into non-uniformed irregular militas, wouldn't Russia then say that the Geneva conventions doesn't apply to them as they are "illegal combatants"?
I'm not well versed in the Geneva conventions but I'm 100% sure Russian forces won't hold back.

RedDevilQuebecois

So you think Zelensky can afford to be another Philippe Pétain instead of being Charles de Gaulle (by necessity)? If you read on where Pétain stands in the French psyche, you will see that his name doesn't fly high at all.

Apparently, a Turkish civilian ship has been hit by Russian ammunition. This is fecked up.

pocco

loco
Keep a clean shit tomorrow, United is my final bus
Why would he think nato won't stand up to him if he invaded an actual nato country?
Because he'll threaten the use of nuclear war. And who is more likely to blink first in that scenario? The crazy dictator that gives zero fecks about the death of his own people, or the softly, softly members of members of NATO, who will potentially be signing the death of their people?

Van Piorsing

Lost his light sabre
He said he tried to call and didn't get an answer. I don't think Putin wants to talk anymore.
In that case he didn't tried enough. Won't be surprised if he's evacuating his country now.

Ukraine is unlucky to have him at charge now.

Precaution

If anybody held any nostalgia of the past i.e what life was like in WW2 then here's the answer coming to you live via Twitter.

WW3 in our lifetime :/

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
US officials suggesting the Ukrainian government might need to go into exile.

led_scholes

Russians protesting in Russia against the war are truly heroes. Only Russians can stop the madman.

Abizzz

The longer the day goes on the more I'm starting to think this might be a case of a superior power with unmotivated soldiers against a weaker opponent with highly motivated people fighting for them.

RedDevil@84

Question: if these civilians are turned into non-uniformed irregular militas, wouldn't Russia then say that the Geneva conventions doesn't apply to them as they are "illegal combatants"?
If they form individual combat groups, then they are not covered by Geneva convention. But if they are employed by Ukranian military (temporarily), then it applies.

Anyways, I think the rules are for any combatants whose status is disputed, they have to be treated humanely as POW, till a tribunal decides whether they are lawful or unlawful

Carolina Red

Staff
Because he'll threaten the use of nuclear war. And who is more likely to blink first in that scenario? The crazy dictator that gives zero fecks about the death of his own people, or the softly, softly members of members of NATO, who will potentially be signing the death of their people?
How many NATO countries were invaded by the Soviet Union?

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
The longer the day goes on the more I'm starting to think this might be a case of a superior power with unmotivated soldiers against a weaker opponent with highly motivated people fighting for them.
Why? I'm definitely missing something because I don't understand why anyone would think that it would be done in less than 24 hours.