Russian invasion of Ukraine | Fewer tweets, more discussion

Carolina Red

Staff
It doesn't take much time, though. They have those pontoon bridge vehicles that can setup in moments (I don't know how long it actually takes) to make a crossing. Plus, they can undeploy and redeploy, so no resources are really used.
Again... it occupies resources and creates a chokepoint to attack. They don't have unlimited amounts of those things, and losing them would be a significant blow.

Yall are acting like I said this is how Ukraine stonewalls the advance. I never said that.

Simbo

Kharkiv still being defended successfully, push from the south is the problem.

Sounds like UA have resisted splitting their forces.

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
Kharkiv still being defended successfully, push from the south is the problem.

Sounds like UA have resisted splitting their forces.
If they get pushed back all the way to Kyiv, we might see an immense battle. Wouldn't be surprised if the government surrenders before that scenario happens.

YouOnlyLiveTwice

Putin needs to die a horrible fecking Death, what a turd of a human being.

I pray that Ukraine won't have too many casualties. All those people out fighting for their freedom are heroes.

RedDevil@84

I think people who are saying NATO countries are next are overreacting. Putin/Russia would get destroyed literally and figuratively if he goes for NATO countries.

Suv666

I think Kyiv is going to fall before the West announces its sanctions.

Simbo

If they get pushed back all the way to Kyiv, we might see an immense battle. Wouldn't be surprised if the government surrenders before that scenario happens.
Don't see that happening personally, not while UA is still active elsewhere, I expect the remaining populace won't allow it either. The streets of Kyiv is where this will dragged out for... god only knows how long, but that's what Ukraine need to do, drag it out.

LARulz

Rumored by who, exactly?
Yeah, it's just some people saying it as a "where will he stop?" He won't go any further than Ukraine I think as too much damage will have been done

There is no benefit to even fighting with them, unless he uses the logic of "well NATO forces are on the border again"

But it's a weird one. If you give him nothing left to lose then he may we'll go all out for whatever he can do which is then 100% leading to a 'physical' (can't think of another word) war between them and the West

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
Don't see that happening personally, not while UA is still active elsewhere, I expect the remaining populace won't allow it either. The streets of Kyiv is where this will dragged out for... god only knows how long, but that's what Ukraine need to do, drag it out.
But then Kyiv will be flattened. Can't see it happening personally.

LARulz

I think Kyiv is going to fall before the West announces its sanctions.
Yeah, that's why he went there asap. The faster they fall the better for Putin, any delay just means more trouble. I think this time tomorrow we'll see an even more depressing state of affairs

Natener

I mean, there was a risk of NATO involvement, but I guess that's where the whole "slow" escalation process with training etc right on the border was for? This seems very well calculated, and It quickly became quite obvious (it was even said specifically by Stoltenberg, Biden etc, no?) that NATO wouldn't send any forces to Ukraine.
Up till a couple of days ago, few were expecting an invasion on such a scale though. What I'm saying is while it's a low risk, but the fact that it's been such a calculated process meant Putin must have been prepared for that low risk to begin with. In any case, politicians say all kinds of things. I don't believe any of that BS Putin is spouting and I got no hand in this war. No chance Putin would have decided to invade because "they said they won't send troops".

Siorac

Honestly? Yes, very much so. It's the very point of NATO, and it's in every NATO country's interest to make sure that the principle of collective security stay, at least in the current world. If NATO or the EU fail to defend Latvia, then who is next? Germany isn't safe either at that point.
Well, I hope you're right. As a Hungarian, it's hard to imagine NATO troops hurrying to our aid if Russia decided to try to bring back the good old days behind the Iron Curtain. Even though we are in NATO and in the EU.

Danny1982

Sectarian Hipster
Anyone seen news about Mariupol? Seems somewhat quiet.
I think Russia want to encircle it. They (along with DNR and LNR) seem to especially hate the battalion located there so they might try to annihilate it or take them as prisoners.

EDIT: also it might be tougher to take than other places in the south because it's heavily fortified as it witnessed some of the fiercest battles a few years ago.

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
Why though?

I mean, every argument against NATO intervening in Ukraine runs along the lines of "it's not worth it to start WW3". Would the US or Germany be more amenable to the idea of WW3 if it was in the defence of Latvia instead of Ukraine?
It would throw the entire world into unprecedented chaos as all pacts such as NATO or EU would immediately cease to exist.

hellhunter

Eurofighter
Supports
Karlsruher SC
I know how macabre this is, but it's morbidly fascinating watching something like this through the lens of social media in real time

RedTiger

Half mast
Don't believe that anymore. Putin knows the rest of the world won't risk standing up to him in fear of a nuclear war. There's more chance he invades all those countries, NATO does nothing, and becomes a worthless union and practically ceases to exist than there is that they will go to war with Russia.
Why would he think nato won't stand up to him if he invaded an actual nato country?

owlo

He seems to be predicating this on Kyiv falling and being able to dictate 'peace' terms from there.

If it turns into a large scale insurgency then Russia are toast. Ukrainian platoons for the most part seem to be in retreat [wisely], just need to keep some form of command and control.

Interesting that he IS being risk averse and staying out of the cities [other than Kyiv]

@VorZakone Hard to get anything reliable currently. If Mariupol and Odessa are holding out, it'd probably signal the above (that he intends to dictate 'peace' terms from Kyiv.) He needs this to end fast; I still maintain he doesn't have the military capacity for drawn out war.