Russian invasion of Ukraine | Fewer tweets, more discussion

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert
It seems obvious given the numbers in defence vs the numbers attacking.

Looking at the replies in this thread; it seems I am alone in hoping for a swift Russian victory to end the conflict with as few lives lost as possible.
Me too. This was always a forgone conclusion. Anyone that’s worth killing isn’t going to die in this war.

Abizzz

Russia has biggest land mass of any country so id imagine they’d get a seat at a table no matter how much you hated them.
They might sit there but no one will talk to them with this government in place anymore. Putin today has ended any conversation to be had. No one want's mutual destruction but aside from that they are on their own.

Simbo

Looking at the replies in this thread; it seems I am alone in hoping for a swift Russian victory to end the conflict with as few lives lost as possible.
Its not true though, they appear to be holding up much better than expected. They have halted Russia in the east, for now.... The problem is the push from the south, we dont' know yet if they have an answer for that.

Simbo

Kharkiv. Karazin University is ahead. Behind the student dormitories.

That'sHernandez

Ominously close to getting banned
Its not true though, they appear to be holding up much better than expected. They have halted Russia in the east, for now.... The problem is the push from the south, we dont' know yet if they have an answer for that.
It seems somewhat inevitable and national pride isn’t worth their lives.

stevoc

One of the main stipulation for NATO membership is that a country can't have any disputed borders or territories, something Ukraine has been involved in for a long time, so there's a huge question mark over their membership eligibility to begin with.
You might well be right mate, from what I can recall the President of Ukraine about 10 years ago was pretty Pro Russian and didn't want Ukraine to join NATO. He was ousted in the 2014 revolution which then lead to the Russian invasion of Crimea.

Skåre Willoch

Presumably this is the line that cannot be crossed as it will cause ww3. Are we so sure Putin cares? I feel a little bit pre covid at the moment...'it won't affect us' type of feeling. :nervous:
Putin knows NATO is a lot stronger than Russia in every field. I don't think he's in full self destruction mode. Yet.

Smithy89

Kharkiv. Karazin University is ahead. Behind the student dormitories.

Disgusting, I'm no expert in military sanctions etc but surely this invasion is some sort of war crime by Putin and his cronies.

tomaldinho1

So those mobile crematoriums will be used to cover up losses? Don't wanna show dead Russian bodies to the public?
Exactly that - it sounds like Russian death count must be high. I guess Putin doesn’t care, he’s sat at a table somewhere playing war.

Godfather

Don't think you are alone in this view. It's actually the only way thinkable that this will end soon. Real tragedy

Hansi Fick

Supports
FC Bayern
Disgusting, I'm no expert in military sanctions etc but surely this invasion is some sort of war crime by Putin and his cronies.
Of course. Starting a war and invading another country is literally the biggest war crime there is.

nimic

something nice
Scout
Fair. Sorry for my overreacting reply. As somebody who's been an analyst and had people burst in and tell you how you're stupid and got everything wrong, it's really upsetting. Because all you do is your best, and you know the damage you've likely caused as you see it playing out on TV for weeks. It's guilt. Even now, when my words mean nothing. I feel like the asshole.

@Rado_N Yea, deep breaths etc. I'm stepping back now.
I deleted the posts for what it's worth, it wasn't fair to include you in the original one. I had noted a couple of posts by others a few days ago, who really annoyed me in the way they were mocking people for justified worry. I had bookmarked yours too, so it kinda just came along for the ride. I shouldn't have doubled down after your reply of course, I just sort of channelled all my disgust for the events in your general direction.

This whole thing just sucks.

MadMike

There you go again. Inventing things I have not said.
Where or when did I say that we should send out kids to war?
And what did you mean then Buster when you said we are doind nothing and being cowards because diplomacy and financial pressure don't work?

What else where you implying we should do aside from sending kids to war? Tell us then, don't be cryptic.

Mark down this day in your diaries and in history. The day that the West decided to not do anything to stop the fall of Ukraine back into Russian rule.
It failed to do anything to stop the fall of Crimea and that has led directly to this situation.
We in the West are going to have to wake up and decide what our future is going to be. A coward or a lion.

We all know from history what appeasement ends up with.
We have just seen what diplomatic and financial pressure does haven't we.

Polar

Putin is stuck in nostalgia and his perception of reality has likely become more and more twisted.

Europe and US should be tired of Putin bullying around by now. Now it’s time to stop bullshit talks or forgiving politics. Now it’s time for HARD MEASURES.

Also feels a little bit sorry for the Russian people, because Putin now is on his way to drive Russia in the ditch. Russian economy is a peanut and I can’t understand how they can afford this conflict in the long run.

I’m pretty sure Putin has overestimated Russian support in Ukraine. Ukraine isn’t a quick fix for Russia or a walk in the park; only about replacing the Ukrainian government. Ukraine has become more than that.

I wouldn’t be surprised if the invasion of Ukraine is the start of Putins downfall. This is also an opportunity for Europe and the majority of Belarusian people to get rid of Lukasjenko.

Now it’s time to for all of us to stand up and raise our voices in support for the Ukrainian people.

Droid_Repairs

Presumably this is the line that cannot be crossed as it will cause ww3. Are we so sure Putin cares? I feel a little bit pre covid at the moment...'it won't affect us' type of feeling. :nervous:
He's insane but he's not stupid. He knows that he couldn't win a conventional war against NATO, and that attacking a member state more or less ensures nuclear war, and ultimately the end of the world.

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
Where the hell are their defenses and such, surely they've known this was coming.
Of course, but it's not like Ukraine can just intercept all missiles & Russian airpower. Lots of talk about Ukrainian military modernization since Crimea, but the same is true for Russia who is still a top 3 military power in the world.

Smores

It must be very insulting to Ukrainians to hear that we're sending forces into other neighbouring countries but we're not willing to help them.

I think we all understand the reasons but their must be some sense of betrayal for them.