Russian invasion of Ukraine | Fewer tweets, more discussion

Smores

Don't see that happening personally, not while UA is still active elsewhere, I expect the remaining populace won't allow it either. The streets of Kyiv is where this will dragged out for... god only knows how long, but that's what Ukraine need to do, drag it out.
Drag it out to what benefit? If they're laying down their lives it would need to be for something and if no one is coming then it's in vain.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Something seems very weird about them showing those pictures, then having an advert for beer and chicken half way through it.

Danny1982

Sectarian Hipster
In that case he didn't tried enough. Won't be surprised if he's evacuating his country now.

Ukraine is unlucky to have him at charge now.
Zelensky actually had the right idea 3 years ago when he ran for presidency as he promised to settle the situation in DNR and LNR once and for all, even at the cost of some concessions, but the hawks in the Ukrainian parliament (who are very hostile to Russia) killed him for that and stopped him from going ahead with the solution he signed in 2019.

The outcome of this conflict now will decide if their gamble was the right way to go.

owlo

Drag it out to what benefit? If they're laying down their lives it would need to be for something and if no one is coming then it's in vain.
Russia can't stay there indefinitely, or even for long. Time is not on their side now.

TMDaines

Fun sponge.
I'm just sat here looking out the window. I haven't done a shred of work all day.
I just poured my heart out to a work colleague I've never met before. Today's the day all kind of inane work requests come in, when work has been quiet all week, and everyone else can largely be oblivious to what's happening other there.

Livvie

Executive Manager being kept sane only by her madn
Scout
Why did Boris Johnson say there could be eventual military action? Not the time to suggest it surely - asking for a pre-emptive strike?

Siorac

I don’t even see what the point of invading Poland would be in 2022. It’s not like he could claim this as Russia territory, or would have anything to gain. It would be purely to destroy the country. He may as well go for Germany and France in that case who at least have strong economy to target.
Nostalgia! To bring back the Warsaw Pact and the CMEA! It would be the ultimate reboot in this age of nostalgic entertainment.

cyberman

Patriots fighting for the future of their country?

Abizzz

Why? I'm definitely missing something because I don't understand why anyone would think that it would be done in less than 24 hours.
Because I don't think there's any Russian appetit to turn on the civilians (outside of Putin's inner circle maybe) and the Ukranians are fighting for their existence.

Maybe it's wishful thinking.

Irwin99

Putin needs to die a horrible fecking Death, what a turd of a human being.

I pray that Ukraine won't have too many casualties. All those people out fighting for their freedom are heroes.
Death to all tyrants! That Man City player was perfectly within his rights to wish death on someone who is causing so much terror and suffering.

RedDevil@84

Because he'll threaten the use of nuclear war. And who is more likely to blink first in that scenario? The crazy dictator that gives zero fecks about the death of his own people, or the softly, softly members of members of NATO, who will potentially be signing the death of their people?
I think you are overreacting. Putin is a madman, but not completely nuts to risk obliteration of Russia.

RobinLFC

Cries when Liverpool doesn't get praised
Supports
Liverpool
The longer the day goes on the more I'm starting to think this might be a case of a superior power with unmotivated soldiers against a weaker opponent with highly motivated people fighting for them.
How unmotivated can one be when literally your life is hanging in the balance?

berbatrick

Renaissance Man
Scout

I have no idea if this is a mistranslation, but fits with @DOTA winking post about Putin.

BlueHaze

The most horrifying thing is, take a look at all recent putin clips. You can clearly see something is fundamentally wrong with him. He looks psychotic and like he's aged 10 years all swollen in the face, the man is completely unpredictable. If Ukraine stands their ground and many Russian soldiers fall then he could become enraged and send the nukes. Truly a disaster this is.

Livvie

Executive Manager being kept sane only by her madn
Scout
I think you are overreacting. Putin is a madman, but not completely nuts to risk obliteration of Russia.
By threatening the West he's almost inviting them to strike first, so maybe too nuts to see reason and logic

hellhunter

Eurofighter
Supports
Karlsruher SC
The most horrifying thing is, take a look at all recent putin clips. You can clearly see something is fundamentally wrong with him. He looks psychotic and like he's aged 10 years all swollen in the face, the man is completely unpredictable. If Ukraine stands their ground and many Russian soldiers fall then he could become enraged and send the nukes. Truly a disaster this is.
This will never happen

Spark

The longer the day goes on the more I'm starting to think this might be a case of a superior power with unmotivated soldiers against a weaker opponent with highly motivated people fighting for them.
While that may be true, the invasion has only been on going for just under 12 hours. To me it looks like it's progressing incredibly quickly, with what looks like reinforcements due to arrive at that airport the Russian's have captured just outside Kyiv.

Do hope that Ukraine can inflict considerable pain on the Russians but it's looking incredibly bleak for them. Heart bleeds for Ukrainians who simply do not deserve any of this.

Abizzz

How unmotivated can one be when literally your life is hanging in the balance?
It'll be important for Ukranians to treat POW with dignity but it wouldn't be the first army in history suffering from poor fighting morale.

spiriticon

Yeah he'll not want an uninhabitable nuclear wasteland near his land if its just Ukraine.

The US though.. he may very well press the button.

RedTiger

Half mast
If they form individual combat groups, then they are not covered by Geneva convention. But if they are employed by Ukranian military (temporarily), then it applies.

Anyways, I think the rules are for any combatants whose status is disputed, they have to be treated humanely as POW, till a tribunal decides whether they are lawful or unlawful
Great answer. Thanks

Van Piorsing

Lost his light sabre
Zelensky actually had the right idea 3 years ago when he ran for presidency as he promised to settle the situation in DNR and LNR once and for all, even at the cost of some concessions, but the hawks in the Ukrainian parliament (who are very hostile to Russia) killed him for that and stopped him from going ahead with the solution he signed in 2019.

The outcome of this conflict now will decide if their gamble was the right way to go.
There's no scenario where Ukraine getting out of this mess. You're right, there was time when bad things could be avoided, but now we're looking at potential pact China-Russia which can create most powerful entity in history of mankind.

I can only hope Poland (which I happily live in) and England won't pay the price for sending weapons to Ukraine to stir the conflict even more. Perhaps Vladimir Putin will be too old then to remember but that's just wishful thinking.

RedDevilQuebecois

Look at this caricature. Says it all about the Mussolini of Mar-a-Lago, and I wish there was something that can be used to gag and arrest him and his cronies.
Here is what US law says about treason:

18 U.S. Code § 2381 - Treason

Whoever, owing allegiance to the United States, levies war against them or adheres to their enemies, giving them aid and comfort within the United States or elsewhere, is guilty of treason and shall suffer death, or shall be imprisoned not less than five years and fined under this title but not less than $10,000; and shall be incapable of holding any office under the United States.

BlueHaze

Yeah he'll not want an uninhabitable nuclear wasteland near his land if its just Ukraine.

The US though.. he may very well press the button.
It may be so, but war is always unpredictable. Anytning can happen. What is happening is already a disaster. It went from sending in troops to 2 cities to a fullscale invasion within 48 hours.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
Because I don't think there's any Russian appetit to turn on the civilians (outside of Putin's inner circle maybe) and the Ukranians are fighting for their existence.

Maybe it's wishful thinking.
Too me it looks like things have moved very fast, I have no idea what will happen tonight or tomorrow but I wouldn't think that less than 24 hours can tell us much.

Revan

Assumptionman
It may be so, but war is always unpredictable. Anytning can happen. What is happening is already a disaster. It went from sending in troops to 2 cities to a fullscale invasion within 48 hours.
It was always about a fullscale invasion, as have the US intelligence sources been screaming for almost a month now.

Zlatattack

This explains why the Russians are attacking in the directions they are.