Russian invasion of Ukraine | Fewer tweets, more discussion

Rektsanwalt

Supports
Schalke 04
"In a historic announcement to parliament, German chancellor Olaf Scholz has said a fund of €100bn will be set up immediately in order to boost the strength of its armed forces, as well as announcing a sustained increase in defence spending over the coming years. In a historic announcement to parliament, German chancellor Olaf Scholz has said a fund of €100bn will be set up immediately in order to boost the strength of its armed forces, as well as announcing a sustained increase in defence spending over the coming years."

Guardian, if it hasn't been posted already. Last thing Putin wanted.
been talked about that before. Why you highlight "german" two times?
On topic: It's a remarkable step and an awakening.

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
The problem is he needs something he can sell at home. Ukraine and the West shouldn't accept any less than a complete Russian withdrawal including Donbass and Crimea etc. That's political suicide for Putin. So what does he do?
They will never ever give up Crimea and I reckon it would be Ukraine’s best interest to accept it. I think even the population there are mostly pro-Russian.

ShoePolish

He will be dead in 10 years.
He can be dead in 2 for all I care, but with him remaining in the chair, all the opposition will likely be dead too, and once time calls on him, he'll have handpicked successor to continue on the legacy, another lunatic like Medvedev or like.

sun_tzu

The Art of Bore
It's certainly a move I would make in Civilization 5, but he would be signing his own death warrant.
As I said in another post....
Popular uprising ... Putin is dead
Military coup.... Putin is dead
Decapitation strike / assassination... Putin is dead
Full scale nukes.... Dead
Tactical nukes... Probably dead but with limited nukes potentially king of the russian ashes

IWat

They will never ever give up Crimea and I reckon it would be Ukraine’s best interest to accept it. I think even the population there are mostly pro-Russian.
Perhaps Crimea can be used as a bargaining chip if Ukraine is willing. But it can't go back to just before this, he's lost that now. Donbass and Luhansk need to be returned to Ukraine and anything less is the West endorsing it.

Mike Smalling

He chose his words carefully :D, what if he didnt choose his words carefully?
There was a debate on Danish television discussing the situation, including how to help refugees, where one of the party leaders said something like: "We should of course help out as many as we can - these are decent, Christian people" :rolleyes:

Revan

Assumptionman
The best thing to happen would be if Putin gets a Gaddafi ending. It would be like in stories where someone get so scared of something, that in turn does everything possible to start the chain of events that lead to that.

Rightnr

Wants players fined for winning away.
The best thing to happen would be if Putin gets a Gaddafi ending. It would be like in stories where someone get so scared of something, that in turn does everything possible to start the chain of events that lead to that.
Russians don't do theatre, they'll just off him on the way to his many villas and maybe blame the Chechens or something along those lines.

Obviously, I'm making this up.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
As I said in another post....
Popular uprising ... Putin is dead
Military coup.... Putin is dead
Decapitation strike / assassination... Putin is dead
Full scale nukes.... Dead
Tactical nukes... Probably dead but with limited nukes potentially king of the russian ashes
In summary, Putin doesn't have any realistic paths to either remaining in power or remaining alive, since every feasible option would result in his eventual removal from within and/or death.

Giggsyking

This should fuel the next round of whataboutism over the ensuing pages.
So? Maybe because you were pro US war against Iraq in 2003 and you dont want to see some western media hypocrisy/racism called out.

Rajma

Lithuanian Language Commission has allowed “Russian Warship, Go feck Yourself” (In Russian) phase in the formal/official/legal use in the same way as “Force Majure” etc., and it now translates directly officially in Lithuanian as “Glory to Ukraine”.

Beans

Supports
Neutral
How likely is that Putin will be overturned from within now? The country in disarray and economic crisis, oligarchs who are used to spending time either on their expensive yachts or watching their sports clubs all around the world now stuck unable to do anything, the intervention evidently not going as planned. Is his entire inner circle willing to go such lengths for him or will they put some resistance?
A retreat and Putin out of power seems like a small price to pay for returning things to the situation as it existed to before the invasion. Who wants to never party in France again when you're a billionaire?

sun_tzu

The Art of Bore
In summary, Putin doesn't have any realistic paths to either remaining in power or remaining alive, since every feasible option would result in his eventual removal from within and/or death.
It's currently difficult to see a path to sufficient de escalation that will allow him to maintain control of Russia... And certainly not one that protects what he sees as his legacy

In that context the anaology would be a corners animal ... Dangerously unpredictable

It may be he sees massive escalation is the only thing that might give him an off ramp and judgin his actions by conventional game theory / logic might not be the correct thing to do.

I think this is certainly the most geo politically dangerous situation for a long time 1960s or the fall of the wall I'd say?

I would be very surprised if putin stayed as leader in the medium term ... I would be even more surprised if he was alive after that

Abizzz

So? Maybe because you were pro US war against Iraq in 2003 and you dont want to see some western media hypocrisy/racism called out.
We had 19 years to talk about 2003. Many of us, myself included, have talked about it in many of those 19 years. Some of us lost friends and schoolmates in the aftermath.

Anyone bringing it up 19 years later in a specific thread can not expect others not to think he/she has a specific reason to do so.