Russian invasion of Ukraine | Fewer tweets, more discussion

Superden

I see your thinking but I think it’s be foolish of any western leader to get involved here. It just invites the western vitriol with actual evidence behind it.

If Sunak was seen to wade in here, it’d play horrifically. This is a case of letting enemies of the enemy destroy themselves. Once a presidence has been set, the west should start dialogue.

I think it’s dangerous to start anything before we know what the outcome of the current situation is.
Thank feck we dont have Trump and Johnson in charge. would be a clusterfeck.

Abizzz

Hitler’s ghost when he hears Wagner is approaching Moscow

Thought about this earlier. With the long list of people that tried and failed there would be some irony for it to be a hot-dog selling ex-convict to succeed. Perhaps preparing fast food is simply better practice than being a failed artist.

Smithy89

Thank feck we dont have Trump and Johnson in charge. would be a clusterfeck.
Biden doesn't even know what decade it is and Rishi is busy getting bent over by banks and giving the upper class a reach around.

Ragnar123

Supports
Barcelona
With elite escaping to St. Petersburg, could we wake up tomorrow with Russia having a different de facto capital?
Nah, in the most perfect scenario for Prigozhin Wagner will reach Moscow tonight, but they still have to fight their way through to the Kremlin and MoD and occupy them. That will take some time. Also it's almost certain, that Russian forces will probably destroy every road into Moscow if Wagner's column continues. We also must not forget that Russia still has their bomber fleet. If the airforce is still loyal to Putin, he could order them to bomb that column to dust, no matter the civilian cost if he fears for his power and life.

That would put a bunch of people in windowless rooms all over the world rather nervous.
Those nukes are useless without the electronic codes in Putin's suitcase.

Suv666

Actually astonished that Wagner has faced zero resistance on their march towards Moscow till now. At this rate this’ll be over tomorrow

Redplane

( . Y . ) planned for Christmas
Actually astonished that Wagner has faced zero resistance on their march towards Moscow till now. At this rate this’ll be over tomorrow
Then again perhaps it's another sign that Russia s power has been with its intelligence/covert operations and its military might have been well overestimated since the Soviet Union's collapse.

Sauxees Moi Hui

If this is truly as coordinated and methodological as it appears from the updates in here, then surely this has been in the making for a long time.
Prigozhin has been criticizing the war and Russian army leadership (by name) publicly for a good 2 months. Saying things that would land just about anyone else in Russian jail for "discrediting the army". This has been coming. And he's had time to plan.

Abizzz

Biden doesn't even know what decade it is and Rishi is busy getting bent over by banks and giving the upper class a reach around.
You can't possibly have been around for the past 7 years and still think Trump would handle this better :lol: :D:lol::confused:

mu4c_20le

I think they've been ordered to stand down, no need for unnecessary bloodshed and look foolish to the rest of the world. This is like watching a child try to humiliate their parents in public. Still think they'll cut a deal in the end.

The Firestarter

I think they've been ordered to stand down, no need for unnecessary bloodshed and look foolish to the rest of the world. This is like watching a child try to humiliate their parents in public. Still think they'll cut a deal in the end.
No chance that has been order by Putin.

NYAS

Haven’t been following this, can anyone give me a brief summary of what’s going on please?

Gehrman

Phallic connoisseur, unlike shamans
Nothing at all wrong with being anti Tory.
It's the "biden doesn't know what week it is" which is straight out of the far right playbook.
Also the Biden administration has been almost 100% on point in their support of Ukraine. Only critism has been their reluctance to their deliver longer range missiles of fear of escalation that leads to a war of attrition but its been overwhelmingly better than what the EU has managed.

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
No, but it's Putin at by far his weakest. You won't ever get a better opportunity.
That's assuming there's a sufficiently organized opposition (other than Wagner) that can put something meaningful in motion now. Putin had made very sure that can't happen.

This is obviously good for Ukraine, but I don't see any advantage for ordinary Russians. If Prigozhin wins, he'll probably be a worse dictator than Putin; if Putin wins, his paranoia will probably go up another notch; and either way there might be a good bit of destruction before there is an outcome.

I mean, I'm as happy as anyone that Putin (as an individual) is being out in a situation like this, but I don't see a way yet in which this leads to improvements for Russia as a country or for the Russian people.

Smithy89

Nothing at all wrong with being anti Tory.
It's the "biden doesn't know what week it is" which is straight out of the far right playbook.

Trump, Biden, far left, far right chuck them all in the same bin, two sides of the same coin.

Suv666

Reckon reconciliation might be off the table after Putin called Wagner back stabbing traitors

Devil You Know

Haven’t been following this, can anyone give me a brief summary of what’s going on please?
Putin looks like he might get overthrown by Prigozhin, the head of Wagner Group.

It's trading one madman for an even more cunning and evil man. Could mean a military dictatorship in Russia.

If we can get past the schadenfreude of Putin getting toppled, this is bad for the world.

Boycott

I'm going to assume the Wagner leader if he succeeds in a coup will not be recognised by the majority of the world as Russia's new leader. In which case what happens with them having control of the nuclear arsenal?

edit: typo

Devil You Know

I'm going to assume the Wagner leader if he succeeds in a coup will be recognised by the majority of the world as Russia's new leaders. In which case what happens with them having control of the nuclear arsenal?
This kind of thing happens in Pakistan every few years. Legitimacy is might and might is legitimacy. The Russian military hierarchy will fall in line and give him the nuclear codes.

wr8_utd

:'(
Putin looks like he might get overthrown by Prigozhin, the head of Wagner Group.

It's trading one madman for an even more cunning and evil man. Could mean a military dictatorship in Russia.

If we can get past the schadenfreude of Putin getting toppled, this is bad for the world.

Hugh Jass

Shave Dass

"Every revolution evaporates to leave behind the slime of the next bureacracy." Franz Kafka.