Saúl Ñíguez

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
Yep, they increased his release clause in 2014, after David and Phil Neville's scouting trips in Rayo Vallecano. :)
http://www.insidespanishfootball.com/98240/saul-niguez-renews-with-atletico-madrid-until-2018/

PS: Óliver has a €24 million release clause too, which is crazy because if the players were willing, a club could sign arguably the best young midfield duo in Spain for all of £36 million. Which kind of scares me to be honest, because Óliver is reportedly a fan of Guardiola and City have a weak central midfield with players who maybe aren't ideal fits. Him and Saúl could be devastating in Pep's system once they get used to the league.

If our interest is genuine, we should pay his release clause ASAP with an eye on a summer move. The longer we delay things, more clubs will get involved and then it could be problematic because the player would get to pick between multiple clubs. That said, maybe it's just a negotiation tactic, the likes of which we've seen several times before. He'll have only 2 years left on his contract at the end of the season, and the wages are quite low. Now that he's become kind of a starting XI fixture, maybe he wants a pay rise.
I'd love us to get both too but Torres is Atletico through and through, can see him spending his career there, he'll be outstanding in a few years.

Just out of curiousity anyone know the reliability of the journalist who reported this?

FC Ronaldo

Posts stuff that's been said before in tweet form
Good player and crucially a left footed central midfielder by trade but very versatile. Can play left or right sided and even in defence.

21 and capped at every level for Spain. Exactly the sort of signing we should be looking at. Could signal the end of Carrick.

Whoscored:
+ Strengths
Defensive contribution - Very Strong
Aerial Duels - Strong
Ball interception - Strong
Tackling - Strong
Blocking the ball - Strong
- Weaknesses
Concentration - Very Weak

Style of Play
  • Likes to dribble
  • Indirect set-piece threat
  • Likes to tackle
  • Commits fouls often
From last season:

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
Is he like a left-footed Busquets? Or more in the Javi Martinez mould?

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
Good player and crucially a left footed central midfielder by trade but very versatile. Can play left or right sided and even in defence.

21 and capped at every level for Spain. Exactly the sort of signing we should be looking at. Could signal the end of Carrick.

Whoscored:

From last season:

That weakness of concentration. LvG will sort that out with a rocket up the arse.

bucky

Wonderful player. Definitely one of the many midfielders we should be looking to sign.

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
Wasn't Moyes after this guy and the widespread opinion on here was that he is shit? I'm sure many preferred Cleverley.
Yes, people were really fond of Cleverley around 2013 (not).

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
Welcome to Manchester reception committee
Atletico didn't think those release clauses through, not the way Porto and Benfica always slap insane release clauses on their best prospects.
It's a business tactic followed by them and the agents, a lot of Spanish clubs do something similar. The player signs a new contract knowing that if he's doing well then he can either get a move to one of the big boys or he can get a pay rise. Koke got three new contracts in a year by trading release clause hikes for payrises. Aguero's last Atletico contract had a clause built into it that reduced year on year, that way they could get him to sign for 5 years.

It's a way for Atletico to get players who are likely to be in demand elsewhere to sign new long contracts rather than let their old ones wear down.

Devil may care

It's a business tactic followed by them and the agents, a lot of Spanish clubs do something similar. The player signs a new contract knowing that if he's doing well then he can either get a move to one of the big boys or he can get a pay rise. Koke got three new contracts in a year by trading release clause hikes for payrises. Aguero's last Atletico contract had a clause built into it that reduced year on year, that way they could get him to sign for 5 years.

It's a way for Atletico to get players who are likely to be in demand elsewhere to sign new long contracts rather than let their old ones wear down.
That's an interesting risk/reward approach, have Atleti lost any players on the cheap like this that have went on to become top stars?

Touseef

I was thinking we might be after this guy last year. Not so sure now.

I always think even if we line up 433 or 4231 - van gaal really wants us to calibrate between 433 to 352 during match (attack to defence).

We already have a striker in martial who can start off deep like a false 9 and move up to join with the two wide players who should be upfront. So the attackers of the 352 are sorted.

What we would need is a CDM who can operate as the 3rd central defender - almost like pivots between defence & attack.

Still prefer marcus rashford though.
That's all fine but the chances of Van gaal starting next season with us are slim to none. I'd say just sign up if you find potential world class talent and the next manager will have a good base to work from

Donut

Why would Atletico even consider selling him? It's not like we're offering 50 million.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
I haven't really taken notice of him. What kind of midfielder is he? Alonso type or Schneiderlin or a more creative one.

Tosicsleftpeg

OK hate to burst the bubble here but why would you leave a club on the up who are in a during position to win the league this season and have a very good young manager, not to mention leave his home country.

Athletics are a better team at the moment and I don't see what we can offer him that athletico can't apart from wads of dough.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
Not really

Schneiderlin

Carrick / BFS are past their best and have to be managed carefully

Herrera - LVG doesn't fancy him in CM
I was thinking for this window specifically since it seems Milan want Fellaini, but yes I see your point.

Bestie07

OK hate to burst the bubble here but why would you leave a club on the up who are in a during position to win the league this season and have a very good young manager, not to mention leave his home country.

Athletics are a better team at the moment and I don't see what we can offer him that athletico can't apart from wads of dough.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
I'd love us to get both too but Torres is Atletico through and through, can see him spending his career there, he'll be outstanding in a few years.

Just out of curiousity anyone know the reliability of the journalist who reported this?
Oliver will always beg for more so we are better off calling saul

Zoo

They've just bought two new midfielders, competition is tough though he did play yesterday against Celta Vigo. The wads of dough will also appeal.

kafta

Perpetual Under 11's Team Player
I've been very impressed with him this season. This is the kind of player i like to see us going for.

CM

If the buyout is €24m, why offer €20m?