Saúl Ñíguez

LonelyFire

If the buyout is €24m, why offer €20m?
I would imagine they will want to avoid paying the clause straight away as a mark of respect to Atletico and are trying to negotiate a structure. Not all Spanish clubs operate the same way as Bilbao do when it comes to this

carvajal

Supports
Real Madrid
Probably in the summer but I don't see him leaving in this window

CM

I would imagine they will want to avoid paying the clause straight away as a mark of respect to Atletico and are trying to negotiate a structure. Not all Spanish clubs operate the same way as Bilbao do when it comes to this
Are they able to turn down an offer if the buyout clause is met?

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
I think he will reject us even if we match his release clause. He has a good position at Atletico who are absolute miles ahead of us now. BTW as good as he is, why do we suddenly see need for him when we already have Schneiderlin who plays in the same position and can barely get a look in? Just so we have another player for van Gaal to despise and bench parmanently?

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
I think he will reject us even if we match his release clause. He has a good position at Atletico who are absolute miles ahead of us now. BTW as good as he is, why do we suddenly see need for him when we already have Schneiderlin who plays in the same position and can barely get a look in? Just so we have another player for van Gaal to despise and bench parmanently?
For when we sell Herrera....

Invictus

Poster of the Year 2015 & 2018
Staff
Supports
Piracy on the High Seas.
If we're planning on sticking with a 4-2-3-1 for the medium term future, Saúl and Goretzka would be the top options from the younger lot - because they can both do a bit of everything - defend, press, carry the ball forward, and score (sporadically) - plus they have a bit of size about them unlike a lot of other options who are a bit unsuited to the Premier League. Martínez + Schwiensteiger was arguably the best midfield duo of the last sort of half-decade. Saúl + Goretzka would represent a very shrewd piece of business from that perspective, because the duo could develop into something approaching Martínez + Schwiensteiger's class - given their individual skillsets, which are very similar to the former Bayern duo.

Overall, our midfield is not as strong as it appears at first glance (especially for a double pivot). We need more numbers on top of quality:

Schneiderlin still has a lot to prove, moreso in terms of passing and intelligence on the ball. Might not be apparent against Premier League opponents (a lot of whom sport dross in midfield), but if/ when we go up against the stronger European teams, that particular weakness will be exploited unless we play him in a midfield 3 as a water carrier of sorts where he is instructed to always release the ball quickly to better midfield passers.
Carrick is almost done.
Schweinsteiger is still rather good, but Van Gaal's system stifles him (he thrived more under Heyneckes), he should ideally be rotated very frequently to preserve his fitness, and is removed from his pomp as a midfield general - though you do see flashes from time to time. Will progressively get worse, so ideally we should not build around him beyond the duration of his contract.
Ander's best position is in a midfield 3 where he has the license to roam and improvise.

Saúl + Goretzka would cost maybe €50 million combined, and we'll have an exceptional base once they hit their stride. Plus, despite his decline, Fußballgott is an exceptional leader and mentor; he could be someone they could tailor their games around, which is a good thing given his stature as a modern midfield great. Would add Neves to the list if we can't acquire one of those two, he too has exceptional potential. Though ideally, we would sign someone like Gündogan - who can start contributing from the get go (or atleast once he gets used to the league). Though maybe the ship has sailed with that one.

carvajal

Supports
Real Madrid

SATA

I think the player will have interest in joining us, otherwise there would be no point sending a delegation over there. All about convincing them to sell now

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself
We need a young central midfielder since Carrick and Schweini are getting old whilst Fellaini isn't good enough. Good choice if true!

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
We need a young central midfielder since Carrick and Schweini are getting old whilst Fellaini isn't good enough. Good choice if true!
I'm just resigned to us signing players. I was probably most excited when we signed Schneiderlin and van Gaal would rather he was dead now.

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself
I'm just resigned to us signing players. I was probably most excited when we signed Schneiderlin and van Gaal would rather he was dead now.
He'll be a regular in the team now.

Varun

Staff
OK hate to burst the bubble here but why would you leave a club on the up who are in a during position to win the league this season and have a very good young manager, not to mention leave his home country.

Athletics are a better team at the moment and I don't see what we can offer him that athletico can't apart from wads of dough.
We are still the bigger club.

Catt

Ole's at the wheel!
Buy first, and then decide if he's any good for the team.
Well if he could replace Carrick, as suggested, I don't see how this isn't sensible. I have probably never seen him play so don't know myself.

PedroMendez

Acolyte
I haven't really taken notice of him. What kind of midfielder is he? Alonso type or Schneiderlin or a more creative one.
A bit like Khedira. High-work rate, good tackler, defensively disciplined. He doesnt offer a lot going forward, despite scoring the odd goal here and there. He is a versatile CM. For Rayo, he also played quite often as CB. He is a good player, but most people would be awfully disappointed if they´d see him playing for us week in week out.
If we are after a midfielder from Atletico, we should be all over Óliver. He is one of the biggest midfield talents in the world (imo). He´d be perfect for a team, that fancies possession. He doesn´t flourish in Simeone´s system (where he is usually shifted our wide).

Wednesday at Stoke

Supports
Time Travel
A bit like Khedira. High-work rate, good tackler, defensively disciplined. He doesnt offer a lot going forward, despite scoring the odd goal here and there. He is a versatile CM. For Rayo, he also played quite often as CB. He is a good player, but most people would be awfully disappointed if they´d see him playing for us week in week out.
If we are after a midfielder from Atletico, we should be all over Óliver. He is one of the biggest midfield talents in the world (imo). He´d be perfect for a team, that fancies possession. He doesn´t flourish in Simeone´s system (where he is usually shifted our wide).
Yeah, Torres' distribution is excellent which none of our current midfielders have bar Carrick and that's a guy who could be had as he doesn't fit Simeone's system right now and needs games at his age to grow.

dichinero

This.

No doubt that Saul is a very good player BUT, I don't know if he is what we should be after. I'd always thought we should be looking at the likes of Torres, Tielemans, players of that ilk. I'm more biased toward Youri Tielemans or maybe Ruben Neves. He is more defensively adept than attacking (not as a defensive player) as you have described spot on. I feel we should be looking at players that can unlock defences. But he is a good player though! Aaaargh!

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
I don't think Van Gaal is big on creative midfielders. He wants solid solid solid.

reddevilz007

i see no reason why he would leave this January or during summer, Atletico have a better project than us. Unless we are getting Pep, Simeone, or to an extent Pochettino, I can't see him coming with LVG still at the helm.

prath92

i see no reason why he would leave this January or during summer, Atletico have a better project than us. Unless we are getting Pep, Simeone, or to an extent Pochettino, I can't see him coming with LVG still at the helm.
Managers dont really matter if we offer the right incentives. People move to clubs managed by Rodgers, Benitez, AvB Rainieri and all who arent exactly top notch either

Maradona10

Woodward’s biggest fan
The real reason we want him is he is left footed central midfielder. We have every CM who is right footed apart from blind, who anyways plays in defence. So he will be used to bring "Balance" as per LVG's philosophy. I also expect us to sell Fellaini in the summer, so we can make space for him.
Carrick may also retire, so you can say we will need a midfielder or 2. I do hope we go for Tielmans/Bazoer though, but he may be too adventurous for LVG