Saúl Ñíguez

reddevilz007

Managers dont really matter if we offer the right incentives. People move to clubs managed by Rodgers, Benitez, AvB Rainieri and all who arent exactly top notch either
In this case, i think it does. Between staying at a club that's first in La Liga ahead of Barca and Real, still in the CL and coached by an enthusiastic Simeone, to go to LVG's boring, unmotivated, uninspiring 5th place team and competing in Europa, the choice is not hard. He's part of Atletico's present and future plans.

Last edited:

cyberman

In this case, i think it does. Between staying at a club that's first in La Liga ahead of Barca and Real, still in the CL and coached by an enthusiastic Simeone, to go to LVG's boring, unmotivated, uninspiring 5th place team and competing in Europa, the choice is not hard. He's part of Atletico's present and future plans.
Good job we're not signing you then.
I love all this confirmed bias insight this forum is excelling at atm.
United are a huge fecking club, a huge draw for any player if our fans want to admit it or not

Brown Toothpick

Supports
FC Barcelona
Good job we're not signing you then.
I love all confirmed bias insight this forum is excelling at atm.
United are a huge fecking club, a huge draw for any player if our fans want to admit it or not
Unless he was born a United fan, there's no reason for him to move. Atleti are a much better team.

Zoo

Unless he was born a United fan, there's no reason for him to move. Atleti are a much better team.
Yeah right now they are. But things change quickly, for a start it's looking very unlikely that LVG will still be managing us beyond the summer.

FujiVice

How do you pronounce his last name? Because I've tried reading it at work, and I'm increasingly worried I may have to do a racial sensitivity course soon for saying it out loud.

cyberman

They were a much better team than Chelsea when they sold Costa and Luis to them.
Its selling him on the future, the doubts about if Simeone will even be at Atletico next season. He could be leaving for United 5 months before Simeone himself does.
We bought Herrera when he was the golden boy of Bilbao. They achieved CL football and were moving to a new stadium. Sometimes a move is too tempting to turn down

Brown Toothpick

Supports
FC Barcelona
Prestige? Money? Bigger profile?
He's 21 years old. No reason to rush a move right now to a team that has its fair share of issues.

Yeah right now they are. But things change quickly, for a start it's looking very unlikely that LVG will still be managing us beyond the summer.
Well I'm obviously speaking of the present. But as long as Simeone is there, Atleti are on the up.

Oo0AahCantona

This is the type of transfer to get done in january, Young, up and coming talent at the age to contribute and also progress. Think he has the same Minutes per goal as rooney does from CM this season as well around the 280min mark :lol:

Brown Toothpick

Supports
FC Barcelona
They were a much better team than Chelsea when they sold Costa and Luis to them.
Its selling him on the future, the doubts about if Simeone will even be at Atletico next season. He could be leaving for United 5 months before Simeone himself does.
We bought Herrera when he was the golden boy of Bilbao. They achieved CL football and were moving to a new stadium. Sometimes a move is too tempting to turn down
There is no comparison. Costa and Luis were 25 and 28 when they moved to Chelsea. Saul is only 21, Spanish, and is in a far better team and environment than Chelsea or United. Simeone also trusts him and wants him to stay. They are topping the Liga and are in the CL.
Bilbao were never in the position that Atleti are in right now. You guys activated the buyout clause to get him, as the player himself wanted to move since the window before.

cyberman

There is no comparison. Costa and Luis were 25 and 28 when they moved to Chelsea. Saul is only 21, Spanish, and is in a far better team and environment than Chelsea or United. Simeone also trusts him and wants him to stay. They are topping the Liga and are in the CL.
Bilbao were never in the position that Atleti are in right now. You guys activated the buyout clause to get him, as the player himself wanted to move since the window before.
We're not approaching Atletico without the go ahead from the player.
Bilbao qualifing for the CL and moving into their new stadium was a massive season for them yet Herrera still left them to join us post Moyes with no CL football. This only a few months after Barca showed an interest in him. If anything it was harder to sign Herrera imo and Bilbao thought it was such an opportunity for the player that they didnt make it as awkward as they could have since it wa reported that buyout clauses were only that simple between Spanish clubs

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
Do you think he cares that he's in the right environment? He's 21 years old and has the chance to play for one of if not the biggest clubs on the planet for huge sums of money. There aren't many 21 year olds that'll turn that down, it's unlikely he's one of those few.

PedroMendez

Acolyte
He won´t leave in January. That is certain.
Things might look different in summer. If United tries hard enough, it might be possible.
Still, the caf is harsh on both Schweinsteiger and Schneiderlin. He is less creative than Schweinsteiger, while Schneiderlin is (at least up to this point) the superior defender. He also doesnt have the passing range of Carrick. He is a great fit for Atletico, but we shouldn´t forget, that Tiago looks pretty good in this team.
It would be good business for 20m, but he wouldn´t solve any of our problems.

Brown Toothpick

Supports
FC Barcelona
We're not approaching Atletico without the go ahead from the player.
Bilbao qualifing for the CL and moving into their new stadium was a massive season for them yet Herrera still left them to join us post Moyes with no CL football. This only a few months after Barca showed an interest in him. If anything it was harder to sign Herrera imo and Bilbao thought it was such an opportunity for the player that they didnt make it as awkward as they could have since it wa reported that buyout clauses were only that simple between Spanish clubs
Barca never wanted him. Saul's case is more complicated since he just started his career. He's been in Atleti since 14 years old and wasn't a part of the Liga winning team. Now he's 21 years old and a starter with team that has legit chances of winning the league. Why would he rush a move in January to any other team? Not to mention United. Any sensible player would wait until the end of the season.

Do you think he cares that he's in the right environment? He's 21 years old and has the chance to play for one of if not the biggest clubs on the planet for huge sums of money. There aren't many 21 year olds that'll turn that down, it's unlikely he's one of those few.
Of course. He's been in Atleti since he was 14 years old. Just to make the step up and move in the middle of a very good season so far, for him and club? He'll get that money regardless. If he waits till the end of the season he'll probably get even more bids. He won't ruin his chance of getting a call up to the Euros 2016 as well.

RedChip

He is just starting his career really. It is not unreasonable for him to assume Athletico won't be better than us long term.

arthurka

Can we sign a striker while the 3 wise Men are over there? Any decent once at Athletic B?

cyberman

Barca never wanted him. Saul's case is more complicated since he just started his career. He's been in Atleti since 14 years old and wasn't a part of the Liga winning team. Now he's 21 years old and a starter with team that has legit chances of winning the league. Why would he rush a move in January to any other team? Not to mention United. Any sensible player would wait until the end of the season.

Of course. He's been in Atleti since he was 14 years old. Just to make the step up and move in the middle of a very good season so far, for him and club? He'll get that money regardless. If he waits till the end of the season he'll probably get even more bids. He won't ruin his chance of getting a call up to the Euros 2016 as well.
Barca did inquire about him though, he even addressed this in an interview towards the en of his last season at Bilbao. Even towards the end of his first season in england there were rumours fom Spain saying they viewed him as the long term replacement for Iniesta.
That had the potential to be a messy transfer yet turned out for the best. Just because it ended smoothly didnt make it an easy transfer to complete

Sparky Rhiwabon

How do you pronounce his last name? Because I've tried reading it at work, and I'm increasingly worried I may have to do a racial sensitivity course soon for saying it out loud.
Dunno but if we sign him, I bet the commentators will come up with a really convoluted but PC consensus way of pronouncing it

Like "Nigh you ez"

carvajal

Supports
Real Madrid
The ñ is pronounced like the french/italian "gn", like cognac, gnocchi ,etc
http://es.forvo.com/word/níguez/#es , this guy says "níguez" , then is simply change the n for the sound ñ

MoBeats

Conspiracy Buff
Like a gangster.

Brophs

The One and Only
Dunno but if we sign him, I bet the commentators will come up with a really convoluted but PC consensus way of pronouncing it

Like "Nigh you ez"
"Another sideways pass by Nig...uh, Nigu, eh, Nigoo, er.......Saul."

Lennon7

nipple flasher and door destroyer
Translation from my Spanish speaking mate:
Some geezers from United are in Madrid trying to sign Saúl and have offered 25m euros after the first negotiations. If they don't get him now it seems they'll try again in summer
Seriously he got an A* at A Level Spanish. Sounds promising coming from COPE!

carvajal

Supports
Real Madrid
United agents were in Madrid with first bid of 20 m euros, but Atlético resisted, however at the end of the day the offer increased to 25/26 m € to buy him now. The agents will sleep in Madrid to continue with the talks, however Simeone doesn´t want to sacrifice an important piece in the team, besides the player is close/
sympathizes with the president( with the meaning that he won´t insist to leave, I guess). However Manchester wants Saúl at any cost so if it´s not now they will try again in June.

Scorpy

Absolutely crapping it and loving it!
United agents were in Madrid with first bid of 20 m euros, but Atlético resisted, however at the end of the day the offer increased to 25/26 m € to buy him now. The agents will sleep in Madrid to continue with the talks, however Simeone doesn´t want to sacrifice an important piece in the team, besides the player is close/
sympathizes with the president( with the meaning that he won´t insist to leave, I guess). However Manchester wants Saúl at any cost so if it´s not now they will try again in June.
Cheers, mate.

YouOnlyLiveTwice

Thank you! :)

Translation from my Spanish speaking mate:

Seriously he got an A* at A Level Spanish. Sounds promising coming from COPE!
Not bad :lol:

carvajal

Supports
Real Madrid
@carvajal

How much do you rate Saúl?
Well, I don´t see so much football Desi, probably other posters can rate him better but seeing his progression and with his age I think that 25/30 m€ is a very good price.
If United don´t pay someone else will do
He is more than decent with the ball and has good lungs, but as PedroMendez said is difficult to say since in this Atlético every player seem good.
Personally I wouldn´t buy him until june when the club will know the new coach, besides If the club has money I would go for Koke

YouOnlyLiveTwice

He looks simliar to Schneiderlin, i wonder if he is meant to be backup/alternative to him, LvG talked about having 2 quality players for every position.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
I'm guessing the fact that he is left footed is a huge factor in this. van Gaal is super quirky like that.

Lennon7

nipple flasher and door destroyer
To be honest I'd love us to sign a young, promising midfielder. One that's not itching to start all the time but will be an excellent squad player until he breaks through properly in a couple of years. Saul seems to fit the bill. Maybe he'll bring Griezmann with him too :smirk:

Hojoon

Saul is an odd one for me. A few years ago I think he was highly rated as a DM, but played as a CB on loan at Rayo, and when he came back, has been used in multiple positions, playing as a CM, wide midfielder, and even as a second striker a couple times at the end of the match when Atletico were protecting a lead. With Augusto and Kranevitter coming in, I doubt he'll have many chances playing as a CM in the near future.

CM

I'm guessing the fact that he is left footed is a huge factor in this. van Gaal is super quirky like that.
:D

If he decided to buy an actual defender in the summer, Blind would be able to perform that role. Stupid things like this really make me hope he isn't here for the start of next season.