Sadio Mane | Performances

Speedy30

Liverpool Fan
Supports
Liverpool
Mane is 24 and he may just step up another level for you guys. If he doesn't you still have a very good player. If he does you end up having a near world class player. Coutinho is still comfortably the best Liverpool player and I think he's very close to his peak. As you said, you guys need a player who can carry the team once in a while and you just don't have that player. I think we might just have signed that player for ourselves in Zlatan.
Coutinho's only 24 too. Both have masses of potential and with Klopp at the helm, they could both reach extremely high levels

Speedy30

Liverpool Fan
Supports
Liverpool
He played against a very bad Arsenal backline yesterday. But not taking anything away from him he did really well. What I find baffling is that this is Liverpool´s best defence ...
It's not. Sakho and Matip are out injured. Karius is out injured as well and if you put him in goal, the defence isn't as nervous and in theory, there's less mistakes.
Our problems at LB are well known and I'll be shocked if we end the transfer window without another one coming in

ShadesOfTomato

Supports
Liverpool
He played against a very bad Arsenal backline yesterday. But not taking anything away from him he did really well. What I find baffling is that this is Liverpool´s best defence ...
Sakho, Matip, Karius were all missing.

Tommy

bigot with fetish for footballers getting fingered
Supports
Liverpool
More importantly than all those is the fact we're missing a good DM. I could get through our midfield at the moment.

arthurka

Sakho, Matip, Karius were all missing.
I watch the Bundesliga regularly and can tell you that Matip isn´t better or worse than either of the guys that started yesterday so that might be a draw...
Karius might be an upgrade to Mignolet but Smakho who knows whats next for him.. But you need a LB asap don´t understand what Klopp is thinking.

ShadesOfTomato

Supports
Liverpool
I watch the Bundesliga regularly and can tell you that Matip isn´t better or worse than either of the guys that started yesterday so that might be a draw...
Karius might be an upgrade to Mignolet but Smakho who knows whats next for him.. But you need a LB asap don´t understand what Klopp is thinking.
The CBs weren't the issue yesterday anyway, thought they did well. Same with Mignolet.

LB and getting Can back in to sit in front of the defence seems to be where the problem is.

PickledRed

Supports
Liverpool
Wasn't Matip in the team of the season last year?

johnny boy

Liverpool Fan
Supports
Liverpool
Matip has looked very good when I have seen him play. Karius was rated number 2 keeper in the Bundesliga.
Klopp knows both very well.

As for LB I can only assume he hasn't seen a player he wants to spend money on, Chilwell aside, he isn't one for spending for the sake of it - window is still open though.

RedCurry

Coutinho's only 24 too. Both have masses of potential and with Klopp at the helm, they could both reach extremely high levels
We'll see I suppose. I personally think Coutinho is as good as he can get which is already at a very high level. It's players around him that need to be upgraded on. With Mane you guys have already upgraded your right wing.

B20

HEY EVERYONE I IGNORE SOMEONE LOOK AT ME
Supports
Liverpool
I'd happily take a panic buy for leftback if that is what it takes.

Hopefully Klavan can do a job there too. He used to play there apparently, sometime after moving from central midfield and before becoming a centreback.

I just realised Guardiola would love Klavan.

TheReligion

Abusive
The best part for Liverpool fans is that Mane is only 24. He is not the finished article yet and may well become a world class player for them. Same with Coutinho. Few players out there are as explosive as Mane.
Coutinho is at his peak. He bottled Europa final and regularly goes missing let's not forget.

Rafateria

I'd happily take a panic buy for leftback if that is what it takes.

Hopefully Klavan can do a job there too. He used to play there apparently, sometime after moving from central midfield and before becoming a centreback.

I just realised Guardiola would love Klavan.
I already love Ragnar (why call him Klavan when Ragnar has all that Viking shit going on !) for his controlled calm and match reading skills. watch the way he covers Moreno as often as he can when that dickhead goes walkabout. However he is far too slow to be a LB of any ilk.

Treble

Coutinho is at his peak. He bottled Europa final and regularly goes missing let's not forget.
Based on?

Normally, players reach their peak a bit later, not when they have just turned 24. Of course, some players peak earlier and decline earlier but how could we know it in advance?

BaguetteBoy

Sadiois a good player fast, direct can change a game but he just doesn't do it enough on a regular basis. sure klopp can get a proper tune out of him this season.

PickledRed

Supports
Liverpool
When judging a player's peak years you can't do so as it's taking place. Give it 6/7 years and you'll be able to judge when Coutinho's peak was. To suggest he's already there is a strange one.

PickledRed

Supports
Liverpool
We'll see I suppose. I personally think Coutinho is as good as he can get which is already at a very high level. It's players around him that need to be upgraded on. With Mane you guys have already upgraded your right wing.
Some truth this. Not sure Coutinho is peaking yet, but he's had too much responsibility and hasn't been the player to carry the side. Increasing the options upfront will mean Coutinho can flourish without the same expectations.

rimaldo

All about the essence
Supports
arse
Based on?

Normally, players reach their peak a bit later, not when they have just turned 24. Of course, some players peak earlier and decline earlier but how could we know it in advance?
he is brazilian...

Treble

he is brazilian...
Surely, there are enough examples of Brazilian players who peaked later? Rivaldo, Romario, Bebeto, Dunga, Zico come to mind immediately. Even Ronaldino peaked when he was 25-26. Anyway, I think Coutinho hasn't played enough football at top level to claim he has already peaked. Time will tell, etc.

rimaldo

All about the essence
Supports
arse
Surely, there are enough examples of Brazilian players who peaked later? Rivaldo, Romario, Bebeto, Dunga, Zico come to mind immediately. Even Ronaldino peaked when he was 25-26. Anyway, I think Coutinho hasn't played enough football at top level to claim he has already peaked. Time will tell, etc.
all brazilian footballers peak at 17, just like our lord and saviour, anderson. cruely ravaged by age and pies before he even turned 21.

ShadesOfTomato

Supports
Liverpool
Sakho is average and prone to blunders. Matip a pretty much unknown quantity in the PL as is Karius.
That's not the point. Point was that we were basically missing 3 first team players in defence (four if you consider that Milner will probably be our first choice LB).

RobinLFC

Cries when Liverpool doesn't get praised
Supports
Liverpool
More importantly than all those is the fact we're missing a good DM. I could get through our midfield at the moment.
This worried me as well. When Henderson went a bit higher up the field, they could bypass our midfield with one single pass and their midfielders immediately found themselves in front of our defence without any coverage from any of our midfieldes, very worrysome. We were lucky that it was often Elneny or Coquelin yesterday instead of the likes of KDB or Silva because we would've been punished if that was the case. A lot of people think Can will solve this problem but I'm not conviced about his qualities as a proper DM, I like him much more as a B2B midfielder because he can drive at the opposition with the ball at his feet.

Karius
Clyne Lovren Klavan LB
DM Can
Mane Firmino Coutinho
Sturridge
That's what I'd like to see in the near future. Might be harsh to exclude Matip but I've seen nothing to suggest that Lovren and/or Klavan need to be replaced. I think it's obvious now that Firmino isn't a striker and can't lead the line on his own. He's at his best playing off another striker, don't really care if that's Sturridge, Origi or Ings.

Edit: don't know why I posted this here. Thought it was the Liverpool performance thread, not the Mane one.

Last edited:

Tommy

bigot with fetish for footballers getting fingered
Supports
Liverpool
Yep, pretty much exactly how I hope we'll be lining up by the end of the window.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
I really like Mane, was hoping we got him last summer. The pace and strength he has when running with the ball is something that cannot be taught. His goal against Arsenal was fantastic.

Revan

Assumptionman
This worried me as well. When Henderson went a bit higher up the field, they could bypass our midfield with one single pass and their midfielders immediately found themselves in front of our defence without any coverage from any of our midfieldes, very worrysome. We were lucky that it was often Elneny or Coquelin yesterday instead of the likes of KDB or Silva because we would've been punished if that was the case. A lot of people think Can will solve this problem but I'm not conviced about his qualities as a proper DM, I like him much more as a B2B midfielder because he can drive at the opposition with the ball at his feet.

Karius
Clyne Lovren Klavan LB
DM Can
Mane Firmino Coutinho
Sturridge
That's what I'd like to see in the near future. Might be harsh to exclude Matip but I've seen nothing to suggest that Lovren and/or Klavan need to be replaced. I think it's obvious now that Firmino isn't a striker and can't lead the line on his own. He's at his best playing off another striker, don't really care if that's Sturridge, Origi or Ings.

Edit: don't know why I posted this here. Thought it was the Liverpool performance thread, not the Mane one.
The front four is really good. No world class player there, but 4 very good players, each of them having good technique and pace. It can make all kind of problems for any team in the league.

PickledRed

Supports
Liverpool
Karius
Clyne Lovren Klavan LB
DM Can
Mane Firmino Coutinho
Sturridge
Odd line up - four forwards is an unlikely scenario. The notion that Firmino can't lead the line is not supported by the evidence given Liverpool's highly effective attacking play at Chelsea, City and now Arsenal. Firmino was the recognised forward in those games and linked up very well. In addition, the fact Klopp keeps using him in such big games suggests it's something he values.

JustFootballFan

Thinks Balotelli & Pogba look the same
Supports
Liverpool
Stewart Robson said he talked to the head of analytics in Liverpool and everything they do is based around Firmino setting the pressing in motion up front. He sets the pace. He initiates the pressing. I honestly think Liverpool will sell Benteke AND Sturridge within the next 12 months. Sturridge is just not suited to this lead role.

Dumbstar

We got another woman hater here.
Supports
Liverpool
Stewart Robson said he talked to the head of analytics in Liverpool and everything they do is based around Firmino setting the pressing in motion up front. He sets the pace. He initiates the pressing. I honestly think Liverpool will sell Benteke AND Sturridge within the next 12 months. Sturridge is just not suited to this lead role.
I agree with this. Unless Sturridge is scoring 2 goals a game from now on he'll be a sore thumb in Klopp's setup.

I'm sure a sore thumb is one injury he's not suffered yet.

Stack

Leave Women's Football Alone!!!
The player initiating a press has a relatively simple job and any player is capable of it. Their job is to try and "encourage" the opposition ball carrier in certain directions depending on the teams tactical approach to defending. So for example if your teams approach is to force teams wide the player initiating the press will make a defensive run towards the ball carrier that will make it easier for the ball carrier to head wide rather than infield. Typically a curved or angled run cutting off the inside pass. The player initiating the press will also do this if he gets recognises a predetermined trigger or a team mate instructs him to begin. The player initiating the press doesnt have to press wildly everytime his team loses the ball, its done when conditions suit.
Absolutely any player can do the job of initiating the press, they simply have to follow an instruction, its not a massively demanding job.

Klopper76

"Did you see Fabinho against Red Star & Cardiff?"
Supports
Liverpool
I agree with this. Unless Sturridge is scoring 2 goals a game from now on he'll be a sore thumb in Klopp's setup.

I'm sure a sore thumb is one injury he's not suffered yet.
It's frustrating though because we all know how good Sturridge is in front of goal. He never seems to go through a period where he's playing but not scoring. I don't think we'll be as reliant as we were on him for goals but it's clear that he's still one of the best players we have. If we could get 30 games out of him I'd be willing to bet he'd manage at least 20 goals which could go a long way towards pushing us into the top four.

RobinLFC

Cries when Liverpool doesn't get praised
Supports
Liverpool
Ok. Thought he went off injured against Arsenal
Yeah certainly looked like it but it was just some cramps apparently. He'll be fine for the Burnley game and probably rested against Burton Albion in the LC.