Salah vs Mane , who is the better player?

darko

We have to be fair and also for the sake of completeness:

Salah is Liverpool's designated penalty taker so in 18/19 PL season when both Mane and Salah finished with 22 goals, 3 of Salah's goals were penalties.

Again in the 19/20 season, Salah had 3 penalties added to his tally.

From open play, Mane outscored Salah in both of those PL seasons.

In the CL in 18/19, Salah had 2 penalties added to his tally, meaning Mane outscored Salah in the CL from open play in that season.
Yes, but who draws more penalties?

RacingClub

Supports
Racing Club
Salah is obviously the better player but he plays for a worse national side.

Mane is probably a little underrated at this stage after his poor 18 months thought the pandemic.

Hastar

Supports
Liverpool
Both have benefitted incredibly from the system, where the midfielders toil for the forwards and the fullbacks produce multiple chances.
The upswing in their goal contributions from their previous clubs shows the difference. Same applies for Jota.

We are just fortunate to have a World Class manager who has created a system which can make average players good, and good players like Salah and Mane special.

EDIT: Not dismissing Salah and Mane's individual abilities. Both are good players.

Last edited:
Reactions: oates

Trex

Liverpool tactics gives Salah an advantage, he plays closer to goal and does less defensive work.
Credit to Mane for even making this debatable in those circumstances.

danamann

Mané is the more complete and important player for Liverpool, all the people claiming Salah is miles better should give their head a wobble. Liverpool will hurt much more losing Mané than Salah.

Banana Republic

Mane has developed into a fantastic player.
Always very quick and skilful, the sometimes erratic and wasteful aspects to his play, that we saw in his days at Southampton and early days at Liverpool, have now disappeared and he’s matured into an amazing talent.
At the moment, I’d put him above Salah because of his greater all round work rate, across the pitch and his non-stop engine.

Reactions: Cheimoon

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
Mané is the more complete and important player for Liverpool, all the people claiming Salah is miles better should give their head a wobble. Liverpool will hurt much more losing Mané than Salah.
There are much more LWs than RWs, though. Salah being left footed makes him very difficult to replace.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Salah has both scored and created more in the same team this season. It's pretty hard to then argue that Mane is the better attacker.

Rob

Supports
Liverpool
Salah’s form (or lack of) is quite something. We are fortunate that it happened at a time when we have five players for three spots. But considering we are entering a period where we have to basically win every game, it’d be nice if he found his feet again soon. Ideally starting with a brace on Tuesday.

BalanceUnAutreJoint

Salah has twice his G+A.
Recency bias is a crazy thing, I'm seeing Mane ballon d'or shouts when I could easily name 10 players who have all been better than him in the Premier League this season

padr81

Supports
Man City
This is the thing Salah has fallen off a cliff but still poty. But Jota did the heavy lifting at first when Salah blipped, now it's mane.

That's where their attacking depth really shines. They can have 2 out of form but still have 2 in good form and there's always one at the top of their game. Amazing recruitment.

Salah is still the best player in the league. I think Egypt's struggles got in his head a little

B20

HEY EVERYONE I IGNORE SOMEONE LOOK AT ME
Supports
Liverpool
Going on tonight's performance Mane's best years might be in front of him yet. What a performance through the middle.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
Going on tonight's performance Mane's best years might be in front of him yet. What a performance through the middle.
I honestly never understood people talking about Mane's form this season, just because he missed a few chances. He's been phenomenal all along, and he's spent most of it playing Firmino's role better than Firmino

FrankLorenzo

Supports
Chelsea
Saying Salah is better than Mané is like saying Lampard is better than Modrić.

PickledRed

Supports
Liverpool
Mane is currently being re-invented as a No9. If he pulls that off then we're in for a treat. Salah is still the best threat in the side based on goals and assists over a sustained period of time, but Mane is on fire currently.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
Mane is currently being re-invented as a No9. If he pulls that off then we're in for a treat. Salah is still the best threat in the side based on goals and assists over a sustained period of time, but Mane is on fire currently.
The Firmino successor. His passing is underrated, that assist to Salah was ridiculous. That turn and pass to Robertson was slick.
Playing in the middle will showcase he is a complete player

sherrinford

I'm not sure re-invented is the right word - Mane was always such a great two-way player. Even off the left and playing with Firmino, his play taking the ball into feet either wide or in the inside channel, and either under pressure or in a pocket of space, has been consistently great. What he is currently doing, Mane showed himself to be capable of a long time ago.

PickledRed

Supports
Liverpool
I'm not sure re-invented is the right word - Mane was always such a great two-way player. Even off the left and playing with Firmino, his play taking the ball into feet either wide or in the inside channel, and either under pressure or in a pocket of space, has been consistently great. What he is currently doing, Mane showed himself to be capable of a long time ago.
Yeah good point. I guess his re-positioning looks like a tactical consideration of how to keep Mane in the team without flogging him down the flank as he approaches 30. Making him centre forward may well give him more years at the top level.

RobinLFC

Cries when Liverpool doesn't get praised
Supports
Liverpool
Yeah good point. I guess his re-positioning looks like a tactical consideration of how to keep Mane in the team without flogging him down the flank as he approaches 30. Making him centre forward may well give him more years at the top level.
He's already past 30.

But yeah, I can see him having a Ronaldo-like transition especially as long as we don't (need to) have a traditional #9 and Jota can also play from the wing. Feel like Diaz will be a mainstay at the left wing for the next few years.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
Both world class. Both having incredible seasons. In conclusion, feck Liverpool.

Walters_19_MuFc

Carragher made a good point on commentary yesterday. He said when Mane first came to Liverpool, he played on the right and was very good. Salah then came and Mane moved to the left. Again, very good. Now, Jota and Diaz have arrived and Mane has moved to the middle. I think you get my point.

He can play anywhere across the front line and be just as effective. Not sure you'd get that from Salah but Salah has Messi moments in him which people remember. As a overall player, in terms of attributes, you'd have to say Mane is more all rounded but Salah, as I said before, has moments in him where you have to just sit back and say "wow".

Both outstanding players and fair to Klopp for getting the best out of them.

KeanoMagicHat

Salah is clearly better than Mané and even his ‘bad’ seasons are as good as Mané’s good ones. Mané is a fantastic player though, just that Salah is carried and expected to be a different standard.

Brophs

The One and Only
Ah, we're not starting this fake ITK shite again, are we? This place went weird with it a few years back. Lads who lived in rural Canada posting things like "I'm hearing there might be movement on this one today".

Klopper76

"Did you see Fabinho against Red Star & Cardiff?"
Supports
Liverpool
Mane. Look at Salah’s decision making here ffs.

Lord SInister

where grasses are green and girls are pretty
‘Almost’ being the important word. Solskjær ‘almost won us the Europa league’ should of got manager of the year.
It is African Player of the Year, he also won the African Cup. So who should have won instead of Mane? Comparing him as a player with what he achieved in 2021-22 with Ole as a manager in 2020/21 is kinda silly, don't you think?

DJ_21

Evens winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
It is African Player of the Year, he also won the African Cup. So who should have won instead of Mane? Comparing him as a player with what he achieved in 2021-22 with Ole as a manager in 2020/21 is kinda silly, don't you think?
Ye I’m not denying mane deserved it but I’m just saying you can’t argue that someone deserves something and then back it up with ‘almost’ winning something. Mane is by far the best African player.

Sylar

One of manes goals against Munich a few years ago (just as an example) is one of the reasons I rate him. He basically took out neuer because he can spin and turn using either feet.
Its difficult to tell which way he will go (whereas you know Salah will want it on his left foot)

Mane is fantastic and he did make the right choice for his career joining those lot over us. I'm glad he's no longer a Liverpool player