Sandro Tonali | Signs for Newcastle

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stadjer

he’s not the Pirlo people thought he was like, he’s more Gattuso. He’ll run around but he doesn’t excel in anything. Good for a workhorse side though but not for a team at the top end of football
Liverpool won the CL with a workhorse side midfield. It just depends on the type of team you are trying to create.

KikiDaKats

Supports
His Liverpool supporting wife
I like Tonali would have added steel to our midfield. He might do well at Newcastle.

Teja

Tonali + Guimarães is going to be really good, I envy them now.

A quick / competent decision making process - it's not that hard Murtough / Arnold!

jesperjaap

He's a good player. Hasnt as of yet really developed into an all round playmaking Pirlo like midfielder he showed signs of before the Milan move. I disagre with the "workhorse player for a working team" some are saying, think he will do well at Newcastle and be a big player there. I do personally think they are overpaying thoug, Milan probably licking there licks. For a Serie A player, he is a £50-55m signing tops, not similar fees Barella is being mentioned at

T00lsh3d

T00ly O' Sh3d
Will he be able to play alongside (Newcastle’s) Bruno? Now he’s a serious player…not that Newcastle would part with him

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Tonali + Guimarães is going to be really good, I envy them now.

A quick / competent decision making process - it's not that hard Murtough / Arnold!
Guimaraes is class, was obvious he was arguably the best in the league in Lyon and he's shown it here. Joelinton is probably better for Newcastle and what they do than Tonali will be though, he doesn't stand out as anything above average in serie A so good luck to him in the prem. Relatively young so he can change, but based on what he's shown, there isn't much to be envy about with him.

Teja

He’s not really developed in the way that everyone had hoped. Let’s see what the magpies can do with him
Guimaraes is class, was obvious he was arguably the best in the league in Lyon and he's shown it here. Joelinton is probably better for Newcastle and what they do than Tonali will be though, he doesn't stand out as anything above average in serie A so good luck to him in the prem. Relatively young so he can change, but based on what he's shown, there isn't much to be envy about with him.
Hm, fair enough. He was rated very highly and Milan seemed to be doing well (won the league recently and so on) so I assumed he was playing well.

The general pattern of a DM behind Guimaraes to get him further forward was what I was commenting about - isn't Joelinton mostly an attacking player? Used to be a forward if I recall correctly and generally is the most advanced midfielder of the three?

I think they'd line up with:

--------------- Tonali -----------------
--- Guimaraes -- Joelinton ---

Mainoldo

I like Tonali would have added steel to our midfield. He might do well at Newcastle.
Name me a game he’s stood out in so I can go back and watch his stellar performance.

This will be the biggest flop since Aquilani. I’d love to see it.

KikiDaKats

Supports
Name me a game he’s stood out in so I can go back and watch his stellar performance.

This will be the biggest flop since Aquilani. I’d love to see it.
I don’t understand your reply?

KikiDaKats

Supports
You said he’d add steel. He just about does that for Milan. He’s as present as Scott McTominay.
Ok

He is the most physical presence in that Milan central midfield that has no technical guile. His combativeness adds steel to any team.
Let’s say I’ll prefer him over McT for what their contributions are at club level. I’m assuming you’ve watched him enough this season for this judgement but I’ve also seen more than 20 of their Serie A games this season.

Mainoldo

Ok

He is the most physical presence in that Milan central midfield that has no technical guile. His combativeness adds steel to any team.
Let’s say I’ll prefer him over McT for what their contributions are at club level. I’m assuming you’ve watched him enough this season for this judgement but I’ve also seen more than 20 of their Serie A games this season.
20 games. Not as much as you mate but everytime I watch him he’s not the player I was expecting from Brescia.

Don’t think it’s a smart move Newcastle.

OleGunnar20

Those stats are surprising. I don't watch Serie A but remember him looking class as a youngster.

That's one hell of a wedge of cash for an average midfielder.

KikiDaKats

Supports
20 games. Not as much as you mate but everytime I watch him he’s not the player I was expecting from Brescia.

Don’t think it’s a smart move Newcastle.
My judgement is in context to what he contributes for his team. He has been good for an underperforming team.
I don’t think the move is right for him but like I said it might work out. Very different player to Aquilani though, who I thought was physically lacking to make a mark in this league at the time.

Last edited:

Judas

Open to offers
This really could go either way, but I’d say it’s far more likely to go badly. He’s not really the player he looked like he might become a few years back.

Oranges038

I love Italian midfielders but trying to think off the top of my head if there has been many that have played in the Premier league and been successful?

Di Matteo was a success

Jorginho could be argued has been a success

Who am I missing?
Benito Carbone....

izec

He is good, but not great. For Milan, he showed in patches great ability, but i always thought he was inconsistent.

Depends on what Howe has in mind and how he wants to use him, but he needs to step up a level from what he has shown if he wants to stand out in the league. He does not dominate with passing and positioning, as was expected with the Pirlo comparisons, but has developed into a box to box to box player.

Status
Not open for further replies.