Santa Barbara shooting

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
3 people dead in his apartment is pretty frightening. Wonder how he lured them there.
Room-mates. You wonder how he could kill all 3 without being overpowered though as I think it said they were stabbed.

Lu Tze

3 people dead in his apartment is pretty frightening. Wonder how he lured them there.
Bet 2 of them are his roommates, he fantasised about killing them in their sleep in his manifesto.

villain

Hates Beyoncé
He had Aspergers and had been receiving professional help according to the BBC.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-27562917
Knowing this just begs the question - why was he allowed to buy a gun? Or at least own one, or obtain one. It just seems so easy that he knew he wanted to kill people, he had a plan on how to do it, and he had the tools to carry it out too. It's too chilling.
Every person i've known to have Aspergers syndrome was unpredictable in their moods, obviously it's affects everyone who has it to a different degree - however these are things that should be looked at critically before someone is equipped with something that can take someones life so easily.

Lu Tze

After watching his videos he really reminds me of Dennis Reynolds from Its Always Sunny. And Patrick Bateman. He is so narcissistic its untrue. It's like watching terrible acting, he's even trying his evil maniacal laugh out for size.

marukomu

The Gatekeeper
Any photos of the people he killed?
Some psychologist said years ago that the last thing we should do is make this guy famous.

Alex99

Rehab's Pete Doherty
I wish that the major news sites would mention the obvious root in misogyny that this attack had. It's incredibly insulting to those with Asperger's to insinuate that it had anything to do with planning and carrying out a killing spree, and it completely ignores the fact that the guy had a history of misogyny. And white-supremacy for that matter.

Lu Tze

I wish that the major news sites would mention the obvious root in misogyny that this attack had. It's incredibly insulting to those with Asperger's to insinuate that it had anything to do with planning and carrying out a killing spree, and it completely ignores the fact that the guy had a history of misogyny. And white-supremacy for that matter.
I'd think him being an insane narcissistic psychopath was more relevant than any other factor. All of his ridiculous misogynistic, racist and delusional beliefs likely stem from that, rather than the other way round.

However, that's not to say he wasn't given perceived acceptance and understanding by the more misogynistic communities on the internet - though he took their beliefs to an insane extreme, which even they called him out on (the bodybuilding forum).

Alex99

Rehab's Pete Doherty
I'd think him being an insane narcissistic psychopath was more relevant than any other factor. All of his ridiculous misogynistic, racist and delusional beliefs likely stem from that, rather than the other way round.
I disagree. There are plenty of narcissists, socio/psychopaths out there, and they don't go out on killing sprees. Those tendencies were likely to be a contributing factor in the extremity of his actions, but they certainly weren't the root of them. He didn't have a history of blood-lust, he had a history of misogyny.

His attack was based on the belief that the women of the world owed him sex because he was the "supreme gentlemen." If you remove the violence it's typical "nice-guy" rhetoric, and the sort of stuff you see spouted all of the time in MRA circles. He felt an entitlement to women, and chose the most extreme way of reacting to this entitlement not being fulfilled. In addition to his whole "supreme gentlemen" crap, he was also on about being "the alpha-male," which is typical of another misogynist circle known as 'The Red Pill'.

His misogyny was amplified by his narcissistic and psychopathic tendencies, not caused by them. He had multiple videos, online posts, and a 140 page manifesto about his hatred of women.

Lu Tze

I disagree. There are plenty of narcissists, socio/psychopaths out there, and they don't go out on killing sprees. Those tendencies were likely to be a contributing factor in the extremity of his actions, but they certainly weren't the root of them. He didn't have a history of blood-lust, he had a history of misogyny.

His attack was based on the belief that the women of the world owed him sex because he was the "supreme gentlemen." If you remove the violence it's typical "nice-guy" rhetoric, and the sort of stuff you see spouted all of the time in MRA circles. He felt an entitlement to women, and chose the most extreme way of reacting to this entitlement not being fulfilled. In addition to his whole "supreme gentlemen" crap, he was also on about being "the alpha-male," which is typical of another misogynist circle known as 'The Red Pill'.

His misogyny was amplified by his narcissistic and psychopathic tendencies, not caused by them. He had multiple videos, online posts, and a 140 page manifesto about his hatred of women.
I certainly get where you're coming from, and it's obvious that his beliefs were exacerbated by the rhetoric coming from people like The Red Pillers and "Pick-up-Artist" types, but I think when someone is as fundamentally broken as this kid was he would have gone off the deep end one way or another. It's obvious he has had extremely deep rooted psychological issues that have been present throughout his life as his manifesto expands upon, and so I think it's premature to say the rather shallow level of acceptance and 'guidance' he got from people like TRP and PUA's was the "obvious root" of it. It was a part of it, sure, but they "obvious root" is that he's fecking mental, since obviously most TRP/PUA types aren't mass murdering psychopaths.

Anyway, all this wannabe psycho analysis is rather premature in any case. I'm sure there will be a line of psychologists a mile long vying to analyse this guy.

Last edited:

Ady87

His manifesto gets interesting at page 60/61 where he recounts his life year by year from aged 17 onwards.

In some paragraphs he talks about how weak other people are, constantly referring to his father, friends and other male figures in his life as weak. In one case he says his Father was weak for listening to his second wife over him, either that or she must be giving it him really good in bed. It's all about the sex.

The very next paragraph he then recounts an occasion in college being asked a question which requires him to speak up in class and how anxious he was and that everyone else must have an easy life and view him as a cripple for his social awkwardness.

He flutters between calling himself strong and powerful and others weak, to the exact opposite on countless occasions.

Alex99

Rehab's Pete Doherty
I certainly get where you're coming from, and it's obvious that his beliefs were exacerbated by the rhetoric coming from people like The Red Pillers and "Pick-up-Artist" types, but I think when someone is as fundamentally broken as this kid was he would have gone off the deep end one way or another. It's obvious he has had extremely deep rooted psychological issues that have been present throughout his life as his manifesto expands upon, and so I think it's premature to say the rather shallow level of acceptance and 'guidance' he got from people like TRP and PUA's was the "obvious root" of it. It was a part of it, sure, but they key thing is that he's fecking mental, since obviously most TRP/PUA types aren't mass murdering psychopaths.
Had he not found those circles though, or had they not existed, he might not have become the misogynist he did. In which case, he wouldn't have gone on a killing spree, with the intended targets being 'women' for not having sex with him. His attack was the most extreme embodiment of TRP/PUA/MRA ideals, but it is by no means the only example of violence that has stemmed from them. There are many men who react violently to rejection, they just don't kill the women that reject them. It is a problem, and a growing one, amongst young men (and judging by the demographic surveys, young, white men), to subscribe to the views of MRAs and RedPillers, and Elliot Rodger was one such man.

There are no links between misogyny and mental illness, and this attack was born out of misogyny. To blame it on mental illness is disingenuous to the millions that also have them.

If a white person, known to have a history of racism, including a video and manifesto in which they state their intention to kill a number of black people, went on a killing spree that involved killing black people, it would be labeled a racist hate crime. Why, when a male, with a known history of misogyny, including a video and manifesto in which he states his intention to kill a number of women, goes out on a killing spree that involves killing women, are we not labeling it a misogynistic hate crime, and instead looking for excuses for his actions?

Hectic

Supports
30fps
Found this an interesting comment:

There are plenty of guys in the forums where he posted who told him that personality is reason the "unworthy" Indian guy in the Honda Civic got the girl, or told him that it's his own creepy/whiny/self-aggrandizing personality that is driving girls away. He doesn't respond to a single one of them. But anybody who references an externality like clothing, money, car, etc., gets an immediate response from him.

I mean that literally. In everything I've read, anybody who challenges his style or looks or wealth gets an immediate defensive response. Anyone who brings up a personality is just ignored.

It seems like Elliot Rodger literally didn't even know what a personality was. He just had no frame of reference for discussion of internal state at all. If you asked him to define his own personality, he probably couldn't. Not in one single video does he talk about how great his personality is. He only speaks of how magnificent and fabulous his looks, clothes and car are, as if that's all that defines a person.

I can understand why, if you don't know that personality exists, you would be absolutely baffled by why a guy who's a 5 or a 6 could get a girl who's a 9 or a 10, or why despite your BMW and your $300 sunglasses, girls aren't interested in you. Trying to make him realize this would be like trying to explain to someone who has no sense of smell and has never smelled anything in his life that he has bad breath.

Lu Tze

"To blame it on mental illness is disingenuous to the millions that also have them.":
I don't believe this is the case, given that clearly he was not in any way mentally stable. In fact I'd argue that any person who would intentionally plan to go on a mass-murdering killing spree is insane, but that's an issue for the justice system to decide.
"If a white person, known to have a history of racism, including a video and manifesto in which they state their intention to kill a number of black people, went on a killing spree that involved killing black people, it would be labeled a racist hate crime. Why, when a male, with a known history of misogyny, including a video and manifesto in which he states his intention to kill a number of women, goes out on a killing spree that involves killing women, are we not labeling it a misogynistic hate crime?
If your hypothetical white racist had a history of mental illness and instability then their actions would be primarily attributed to their insanity, with the knowledge that they were also a racist hate crime. If not, it would be attributed solely to their racist beliefs. Rodger had a history of mental illness which clearly played a decisive role in his actions, and so his actions should be attributed to that - given that he would probably not acted out his delusional fantasies if not for his mental illness - though it is certainly a misogynistic hate crime as well, but one primarily derived from insanity.

instead looking for excuses for his actions
I think this is rather needlessly inflammatory and accusatory, so I'm out.

Last edited:

Alex99

Rehab's Pete Doherty
I don't believe this is the case, given that clearly he was not in any way mentally stable. In fact I'd argue that any person who would intentionally plan to go on a mass-murdering killing spree is insane, but that's an issue for the justice system to decide.

If your hypothetical white racist had a history of mental illness and instability then their actions would be primarily attributed to their insanity, with the knowledge that they were also a racist hate crime. If not, it would be attributed solely to their racist beliefs. Rodger had a history of mental illness which clearly played a decisive role in his actions, and so his actions should be attributed to that - given that he would almost certainly not acted out his delusional fantasies if not for his mental illness - though it is certainly a misogynistic hate crime as well.

I think this is rather needlessly inflammatory and accusatory, so I'm out.
The last part is not aimed at you as individual, it is aimed at the media. It's a common trend with white criminals to bring up mental illness as a factor, and it is something that is not present when crimes are committed by people of other races. Similarly, when a white person commits a crime that by very definition should be labeled terrorism, it rarely, if ever is.

Not everyone who is mentally ill is a misogynistic killer, and not everyone who is a misogynistic killer is mentally ill. The common denominator is misogyny. I'm not denying that he was mentally ill, but it was by no means the root cause of this attack.

DOTA

wants Amber Rudd to call him a naughty boy
Alex is about to turn another thread into a thread about women... :rolleyes:
I think the disturbed man who wanted to take revenge on womankind did that, Andrew.

Alex99

Rehab's Pete Doherty
Alex is about to turn another thread into a thread about women... :rolleyes:
Turn another thread into a thread about women? A thread about a guy who stated bluntly that his intentions were to go out and kill women? A thread about a guy who wrote a manifesto, in which he detailed how he wanted to put all women into a concentration camp and watch them starve to death? A thread about a guy who actually drove up to a sorority house and killed women? How was this thread never about women?

Andrew~

Not at all. This is more about a guy who was probably very mentally ill, ended up using some imagined slight on himself by women, as a reason to kill.

Rather like how whenever there is a terrorist incident in the Middle East, people spend 20 pages talking about religion, forgetting entirely the fact that well, the people perpetrating these things were just nutjobs.

Ady87

Last edited:

Shinjisan

Account closed by request
I think the disturbed man who wanted to take revenge on womankind did that, Andrew.
The rampage was a manifestation of his deteriorating mental state over a period of time. That hatred for women was a part of it, not the whole. His killing spree didn't involve a specific gender. The three people he killed in his apartment first were all men.

gormless

Is there any way to locate the extra pages?

Upon first glance any normal person would consider him to be a troll. Knowing what I do now about his personality it's quite frightening looking at his posts.
I tried to but haven't managed to be able to find the other pages, even after messing around with the URL.
And honestly, I post there occasionally, it's basically the polar opposite of the Caf. It's hugely conservative, gun supporting and misogynistic. That thread isn't too far out of the norm for there. He basically fits in with the stereotype of poster on there.

Edit: Wizard ^

Ady87

Thanks!

It's not a surprise that he is trying to appear dominant in his forum posts which for the most part is quite different to the diary style approach in his manifesto.

Judge Red

Don't Call Me Douglas
I'm guessing this guy was given everything by his rich dad and got a little confused by how relationships took a little effort.

DOTA

wants Amber Rudd to call him a naughty boy
The rampage was a manifestation of his deteriorating mental state over a period of time. That hatred for women was a part of it, not the whole. His killing spree didn't involve a specific gender. The three people he killed in his apartment first were all men.
A lot of people seem to want to ignore the fact his hatred of women was a big part of this, though. Of course his mental health problems were too but that's no excuse for shying away from the fact that a culture of misogyny encourages the things that were in this man's mind and meant that when he cracked he sought to take it out on women in a horrific fashion. His killing spree was a statement against a specific gender, we have him explaining that at length in a very calm manner.

SteveJ

all-round nice guy, aka Uncle Joe Kardashian
Scout
Can't help but conclude that this is a real "sign of the times" case; all the shallowness of modern culture come home to roost.

Hectic

Supports
30fps
Is there any way to locate the extra pages?

Upon first glance any normal person would consider him to be a troll. Knowing what I do now about his personality it's quite frightening looking at his posts.
One of the more interesting things about this, how many people would read those posts and automatically assume it's someone trolling?

NoLogo

Not at all. This is more about a guy who was probably very mentally ill, ended up using some imagined slight on himself by women, as a reason to kill.

Rather like how whenever there is a terrorist incident in the Middle East, people spend 20 pages talking about religion, forgetting entirely the fact that well, the people perpetrating these things were just nutjobs.
That's really the sad thing though that they aren't. Good brain washing can easily do that to almost anyone who believes into the absolute authority of others.