SARS CoV-2 coronavirus / Covid-19 (No tin foil hat silliness please)

twitter thread suggester
Maybe eventually but I don't think we are near that point. Italy is like 2 weeks ahead of other countries, and you can still buy food in the supermarkets.
Denmark will run out of pasta, flour, milk etc. tomorrow in super markets. Then the question is when the next shipment will arrive.

Revan

Assumptionman
Is it better to get the coronavirus now in a sense? I mean, I wouldn't want to be getting it when the healthcare is overwhelmed. Anyone who is getting treated now will be getting top class care, in a month time people could literally have no beds available for them.
From an individual selfish point of view (and I thought it too), I guess so. If we really believe that 70% of people are going to have it, then better now than when there are no beds. So going to leak the bus seats now.

If everyone reaches the same conclusion, God save us all. The curve is gonna become a Dirac distribution.

Wednesday at Stoke

Supports
Time Travel
As a doctor working who’s just finished an on call shift, I can tell you that I’m genuinely worried. Not about getting it, I won’t die from it because I’m 26 and in good health. The butterfly effect of this will be disastrous.

More people will die indirectly from this than directly and that’s what’s scary.
Has there been any truth to the theory that there is a dose adjusted infection response? Some people were suggesting that the medical professionals in China albeit young got worse because they had prolonged exposure to patients.

dumbo

Don't Just Fly…Soar!
Scout
Just catching up on the thread. @SportingCP96 definition of "life threatening" and their persistence has been a rare moment of genuine hilarity in all this bleakness.

Wednesday at Stoke

Supports
Time Travel
Supermarkets in Denmark released a statement asking people not to hoard stuff and there's enough for everyone to last more than two weeks.

P-Ro

"Full Member"
Supports
Chelsea and AFC Wimbledon
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-leeds-51843128
A teenager was sent home from school after being caught selling shots of hand sanitiser to his fellow pupils at 50p a go.

His mother, Jenny Tompkins, from Leeds, posted a picture of him arriving home earlier after his entrepreneurial exploits at Dixons Unity Academy.

In a post on Facebook, she said it was hard to discipline her son when his "dad called to say he was a legend".

He plans to use the £9 he made to buy a kebab, she added.

SCP

Supports
Sporting Clube Portugal
Without being a expert on the subject the situation in Italy is quite alarming to say the least. Impossible to predict but not optimistic with the situation in Europe. No mood for football really.

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert
From an individual selfish point of view (and I thought it too), I guess so. If we really believe that 70% of people are going to have it, then better now than when there are no beds. So going to leak the bus seats now.

If everyone reaches the same conclusion, God save us all. The curve is gonna become a Dirac distribution.
It is a purely selfish point of view. Obviously I'd rather people avoid it all together but if my family or friends got, I think that's the message of encouragement I'd give them. Better now than it's peaking but hopefully we'll be able to flatten the curve somewhat by taking proactive approach.

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
Is it better to get the coronavirus now in a sense? I mean, I wouldn't want to be getting it when the healthcare is overwhelmed. Anyone who is getting treated now will be getting top class care, in a month time people could literally have no beds available for them.
No because you can get reinfected so even if you catch now and recover you could catch it again when the health are system is overwhelmed

Based Adnan

Feel like so many countries are being let down by their governments response (or lack of)

United58

Absolutely terrifying if true... 3 hours in the air!?

Walking in a mall, walking in a Chemists etc.

Where has this virus actually come from!?
Someone told me today it actually originated with bats in China, not sure on the facts of it but that's what I was told

Reminds me of Cujo being bitten by bats in Stephen King's novel :nervous:

Skills

Snitch
Someone told me today it actually originated with bats in China, not sure on the facts of it but that's what I was told
The original SARS virus was traced back to bats. This one isn't confirmed yet, but it's also thought to have originated from them. Don't feck with bats.

Revan

Assumptionman
The original SARS virus was traced back to bats. This one isn't confirmed yet, but it's also thought to have originated from them. Don't feck with bats.
I think in both cases the scientist think that it came to humans from some intermediate animal, but it originates from bats.

Chinese (and people from other countries like Indonesia) eat bats. Crazy!

marktan

Taking the tube on London you wonder just how much it can spread there, no one takes any precautions at all and everyone's jammed up into onne another.

On a side note, think I saw someone post a graph showing the projected rate of coronavirus in Germany, France etc in comparison Italy, looked back the last 5 pages can't seem to find it. Anyone know where to find it?

Paxi

No because you can get reinfected so even if you catch now and recover you could catch it again when the health are system is overwhelmed
There is no reliable data for being reinfected. Medical professionals suspect it could be due to providing false negative samples.

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
No.

A fast spread will result in huge ICU bed shortages almost instantly. A slow spread will allow people to get the treatment they need.

Balljy

Absolutely terrifying if true... 3 hours in the air!?

Walking in a mall, walking in a Chemists etc.

Where has this virus actually come from!?
That's pretty normal for the majority of viruses. The cold virus can survive for a few hours in air normally and longer on surfaces up to a few days, but influenza generally not as long. The scary one is norovirus which can survive for weeks on surfaces.

Tomuś

Nani is crap, I tell you!
One of the most prominent left-wing journos here just twitted that the right-wing government decision to shut down the schools, kindergartens and big events is 'madness'. He then followed by saying: 'I tweeted that for 30 seconds, using a keyboard full of viruses as somebody sneezed on it and was made a coffee by a barista who's just returned from italy - Hell, we're all alive!'.

Honestly, how stupid can you get?

Paxi

No.

A fast spread will result in huge ICU bed shortages almost instantly. A slow spread will allow people to get the treatment they need.
I understand that. But if person contracts the virus now, gets medical care, recovers from it, surely that's better for them, instead of them getting it when the inevitable peak comes?

I meant for a single individual not as a wave of patients.