SARS CoV-2 coronavirus / Covid-19 (No tin foil hat silliness please)

Ish

Lights on for Luke
Sorry to hear about your uncle bud
Thanks geebs. Appreicate it. Most of the family didn't attend either, due to the limit for funerals being 50. Such is life. One of my good friends lost his dad just over a week ago. He was in his late 60's and had a stroke. Contracted corona while at hospital and passed away there. Tough time for some people.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
Thanks geebs. Appreicate it. Most of the family didn't attend either, due to the limit for funerals being 50. Such is life. One of my good friends lost his dad just over a week ago. He was in his late 60's and had a stroke. Contracted corona while at hospital and passed away there. Tough time for some people.
Lost one of my brothers about 4-5 weeks ago and wasn’t able to get up to attend the funeral. It’s such a shitty time that we live in now. I’m sick off it

EDIT: heart attack not Covid

Last edited:

redshaw

More reaffirming bad news regarding immunity in the Guardian.
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2...-19-could-be-lost-in-months-uk-study-suggests

"People who have recovered from Covid-19 may lose their immunity to the disease within months, according to research suggesting the virus could reinfect people year after year, like common colds.

In the first longitudinal study of its kind, scientists analysed the immune response of more than 90 patients and healthcare workers at Guy’s and St Thomas’ NHS foundation trust and found levels of antibodies that can destroy the virus peaked about three weeks after the onset of symptoms then swiftly declined.

Blood tests revealed that while 60% of people marshalled a “potent” antibody response at the height of their battle with the virus, only 17% retained the same potency three months later. Antibody levels fell as much as 23-fold over the period. In some cases, they became undetectable.

“People are producing a reasonable antibody response to the virus, but it’s waning over a short period of time and depending on how high your peak is, that determines how long the antibodies are staying around,” said Dr Katie Doores, lead author on the study at King’s College London.

The study has implications for the development of a vaccine, and for the pursuit of “herd immunity” in the community over time.

The immune system has multiple ways to fight the coronavirus but if antibodies are the main line of defence, the findings suggested people could become reinfected in seasonal waves and that vaccines may not protect them for long."

Like some have before, may need continual jabs.

People who have recovered shouldn't be so cocky then. Probably post articles in the info thread.

In the first longitudinal study of its kind, scientists analysed the immune response of more than 90 patients and healthcare workers at Guy’s and St Thomas’ NHS foundation trust and found levels of antibodies that can destroy the virus peaked about three weeks after the onset of symptoms then swiftly declined.
Not really understanding what they mean by “levels of antibodies that can destroy the virus”? A larger study has already shown that many appear to be fighting off this virus with T-Cells alone.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Not really understanding what they mean by “levels of antibodies that can destroy the virus”? A larger study has already shown that many appear to be fighting off this virus with T-Cells alone.
The fact that antibodies rise in the first place shows they’re an important part of the immune response. If they weren’t needed, they would have stayed low.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
The fact that antibodies rise in the first place shows they’re an important part of the immune response. If they weren’t needed, they would have stayed low.
Is that observation specifically about Covid-19 or does it considers other infections? Because one of the big problems has been with opportunistic infections who will logically provoke an immune response.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
Is that observation specifically about Covid-19 or does it considers other infections? Because one of the big problems has been with opportunistic infections who will logically provoke an immune response.
I’m not sure I understand the question? I was really just saying that if T cells can fight off an infection on their own, then you wouldn’t expect to see a big rise in neutralizing antibodies.

Almost all these patients produced a shit-load of antibodies, which presumably played an important role in suppressing the virus. But they disappeared quite quickly. Which a number of studies have already shown ( and we’ve known about the common cold coronavirus for ages) but I assumed/hoped that there might be a disconnect between antibody titre and immunity. Now we’re hearing about more and more cases of individuals getting infected twice, that’s making this less likely. And it’s fecking awful news to hear about someone being even sicker the second time round.

JPRouve

Scout
I’m not sure I understand the question? I was really just saying that if T cells can fight off an infection on their own, then you wouldn’t expect to see a big rise in neutralizing antibodies.

Almost all these patients produced a shit-load of antibodies, which presumably played an important role in suppressing the virus. But they disappeared quite quickly. Which a number of studies have already shown ( and we’ve known about the common cold coronavirus for ages) but I assumed/hoped that there might be a disconnect between antibody titre and immunity. Now we’re hearing about more and more cases of individuals getting infected twice, that’s making this less likely. And it’s fecking awful news to hear about someone being even sicker the second time round.
I was just wondering if the "shit-load" of antibodies was just about the immune system fighting the virus or also about opportunistic infections or other damages done? I'm not contesting your point, just wondering about the other sides of the disease which can weaken the body to the point where other disease enter which will provoke an immune response. For example reading this article, I seem to understand that when you get Covid-19, it may not be the only thing that you get.

Although such findings are illuminating, using organoids to study the virus–host interaction is in its infancy, says Haagmans, who developed the gut organoids. “It is too early to say how relevant they are,” he says. More complex organoid systems are needed to better understand how the virus interacts with the body’s immune system to cause damage, say researchers.

“We are fairly confident now that the virus that causes COVID-19 can infect tissue outside the lung and significantly contribute to disease,” says Penninger. But more severe outcomes, such as kidney and heart damage, are probably due to a combination of viral infection and an excessive immune response, he says.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
I was just wondering if the "shit-load" of antibodies was just about the immune system fighting the virus or also about opportunistic infections or other damages done? I'm not contesting your point, just wondering about the other sides of the disease which can weaken the body to the point where other disease enter which will provoke an immune response. For example reading this article, I seem to understand that when you get Covid-19, it may not be the only thing that you get.
You’re really confusing me now! There’s no mention in that article of concomitant infection with anything else? Just damage caused by an overactive immune response.

JPRouve

Scout
You’re really confusing me now! There’s no mention in that article of concomitant infection with anything else? Just damage caused by an overactive immune response.
It was a shite question. I was just wondering if the damages caused could increase the immune response. Basically a vicious circle.

massi83

Meh. I will remain doubtful. Why would the story not be in WaPo, NYT, BBC, or why wouldn't the experts on twitter mention anything about it (Kucharski, Osterholm, Bergström...). I will wait for better sources before worrying.

Bosws87

Worth mentioning that if the disease itself doesn’t cause long term immunity then we’re pissing in the wind trying to develop a vaccine to do what getting sick doesn’t do.
You would just get top up vaccines like the flu shot, it’s not the doomsday situation people are trying to cook up. The latest decent source I read was they think immunity is from T cells so it’s irrelevant about the antibody count dropping either way

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
You would just get top up vaccines like the flu shot, it’s not the doomsday situation people are trying to cook up. The latest decent source I read was they think immunity is from T cells so it’s irrelevant about the antibody count dropping either way

Yer man’s an awful prat. I wouldn’t take anything he says too seriously.

Flu vaccines aren’t top ups by the way. They’re new vaccines, to cover new strains. I guess you could try to vaccinate the whole world against SARS-COV2 multiple times each year but that would be an absolutely mind-blowing piece of work. And that’s assuming we get a very safe, effective vaccine. Which might not happen.

Skills

Snitch
I wouldn’t give up all hope just yet. There’s no news in this thread today that we didn’t suspect already. Apart from an anecdote about one patient. Which is not real science. I’ll be clinging to that to help me sleep tonight anyway!
Well I first thought a treatment was more likely and quicker to surface - something that could significantly reduce the fatality rate and the time people spend stick. I hope effort on that front didn't slow down because of all the promising news of vaccines coming out in the last few months.

Bosws87

Yer man’s an awful prat. I wouldn’t take anything he says too seriously.

Flu vaccines aren’t top ups by the way. They’re new vaccines, to cover new strains. I guess you could try to vaccinate the whole world against SARS-COV2 multiple times each year but that would be an absolutely mind-blowing piece of work. And that’s assuming we get a very safe, effective vaccine. Which might not happen.
Your not a very glass half full person are you.

massi83

Decent source :lol:

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
Well I first thought a treatment was more likely and quicker to surface - something that could significantly reduce the fatality rate and the time people spend stick. I hope effort on that front didn't slow down because of all the promising news of vaccines coming out in the last few months.
It’s definitely quicker/easier to develop treatments than it is to develop vaccines. Effort on that front hasn’t slowed at all. Don’t worry. No encouraging news re treatments yet though. Not that I’m aware of.

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
Meh. I will remain doubtful. Why would the story not be in WaPo, NYT, BBC, or why wouldn't the experts on twitter mention anything about it (Kucharski, Osterholm, Bergström...). I will wait for better sources before worrying.
yes. I would also have expected this story to be blowing up as Breaking News all over the place if it was the end of the world.

jymufc20

Last Man Standing finalist 2019/20
Lost one of my brothers about 4-5 weeks ago and wasn’t able to get up to attend the funeral. It’s such a shitty time that we live in now. I’m sick off it

EDIT: heart attack not Covid
feck me sorry about that GB I know it's not directly covid but if it wasn't for covid you would of been able to attend so it is covid related if you ask me.

Sorry for your loss pal, I can't imagine losing someone and not being able to day goodbye
Because of all this it must be awfull.

Compton22

Knows that he knows nothing.
On this T-cell research, I thought it was well known that these play a key role in the body's ability to fight off infection. There's not just random antibodies to different diseases floating in people's blood. The T-cells recognise the antigens and make the body produce the correct antibodies to respond to it.

4bars

Supports
Barcelona
We locked down early and locked down very hard - one of the harshest in the world iirc but because of certain reasons:
a) lack of those being able to abide by lockdown rules - informal settlements and the poorer areas where people live on top of one another (families of 6+ in spaces not bigger than your kitchen) or people who live on their daily wage to try and feed their families
b) lack of testing capacity so the cases were always understated
c) economic pressure forcing a 2-3 month lockdown to end so that the economy can get going again (country isnt really wealthy enough to have provided sufficient financial assistance to those impacted by the disease).

Our 2 major cities with our 2 major airports - Joburb and Cape Town seem to also be the hardest hit.

We had projections in May or so, as lockdown restrictions were about to be eased that July/August were going to be our peaks. And we can see those numbers climbing. It was a lose lose situation in the end I guess. Lots of economic and socio-economic challenges make it almost impossible to have contained the virus.

My uncle passed away from corona virus 3 weeks ago. Being a GP himself, he contracted it at one of his surgeries. There’s probably a few more reasons or things others can mention.
First of all, I am sorry to here that, is terrible thinking that he put himself on the line. I am sure your family is very proud of him.

Then, thanks for the information, I guess that as you said, it was bound to happen taking in account how some areas of high density/poverty were of high risk of propagation. Hope you can pass it with as less victims as possible and you, considering your job, keep safe