SARS CoV-2 coronavirus / Covid-19 (No tin foil hat silliness please)

Fluctuation0161

@Brwned

Mate, we’ve had 10 months.

You’ve accused me of shouting at a wall.

I fully expect a system that can scale. Ours doesn’t work. Let alone scale.

Yes some systems can’t meet capacity. Yes there will be resistance to adoption. Yes there will be mistakes.

But Our government tells everyone we have a world leading test, track and trace service. That we have the capacity to test 350,000 a day.

The reality is that Our testing system is on its knees at 5 figure outputs. Has Throttled access points. It’s late. Costs more than most of Europe’s system COMBINED. It’s an abject failure.

Pointing out small countries inability to scale is foolhardy.

My brother in law lives in Baden-Wuttenburg and has a lot of friends in Bavaria. Their lived experience in Germany is night and day from us

Some regions have had some issues. But one regions issues don’t feck up the whole country because they’re decentralised.

You keep suggesting that other countries contract tracing systems don’t work. You’re using stats like number of contacts contacted. You’re missing out the key qualifier of time. Every day counts. Numbers get big so damn quick.

25% of test results inside 24 hours, coupled with an ill-functioning app and poor contact tracing.

vs

75% of test results inside 24 hours, coupled to a functioning app and functioning contact tracing.

Those Two scenarios lead to wildly different outcomes.

We are still trumpeting number of tests. Why? Raise the threshold to get a test in order to lower the burden on labs, in order to return results faster. In order to start contact tracing sooner.

The government is still talking about getting to half a million tests a day. There’s no fecking point in that. They chase headlines. We can’t process that level of test output. If we manage to get to that number we can’t run a successful contact tracing system.

It’s a public health crisis, you’re often borrowing from Peter to pay Paul. But why do we as a country not have the humility to just copy off the brightest kids in class. You know half the cabinet has done that for their whole life.

You and I aren’t really at odds. I just object to any kind of defence of £12 Billion resulting in this. Better performing countries are yet to push through £1 Billion in expenditure.

Ach, burn it all down.
Totally agree.

I cant understand how anyone is blaming the concept of test and trace instead of the UK's terrible handling of this pandemic. It is beyond logic.

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
Has there been any legitimate studies that guesstimated what the actual new caseload per day was in UK during March/April?

We were told in those days only to go to hospital if we had serious pre deathly symptoms, so vast majority of those infected would have recovered by staying isolated at home and their cases would not have been recorded. Some sources say it was 100k cases per day vs the 5,00o per day that were recorded. ?

That's different to now, as I imagine a majority of cases are now being picked up?

Brwned

Have you ever been in love before?
Totally agree.

I cant understand how anyone is blaming the concept of test and trace instead of the UK's terrible handling of this pandemic. It is beyond logic.
Saying a programme has limitations, based on observable evidence, is not blaming a concept. It's an attempt to reckon with the reality of that concept. It is entirely logical that a programme would have limitations, and we would get the clearest evidence of it once it is executed rather than how it was first conceived. That's why it only forms a small part of the strategy. If your idea of that concept was closer to reality then you would have a long list of countries proving how it has worked significantly better, clearly showing that the implementation was the problem, not the inherent limitations of the programme.

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
quite insane/insightful.

Do you think its because republicans in those states have followed Trumps advice and not CDC/Fauci?
That’s definitely part of it. Toss in the batshittery shoveled down the gullets of the koolaid drinkers regarding masks / social distancing. The populace in these states are equally as culpable as the leaders.

Such a turnaround from when it was blue states primarily affected & from when the White House altered its plans for help due to only blue states being affected was a safe prop bet.

F-Red

I have the covid19 app from the NHS, just had my first alert saying that I could have had contact with someone that has been tested positive, and then very quickly come back with another notification saying that they've concluded I wasn't around them for long enough so it's no issue. Annoyingly, going into the app shows no mention of this at all!

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
That’s definitely part of it. Toss in the batshittery shoveled down the gullets of the koolaid drinkers regarding masks / social distancing. The populace in these states are equally as culpable as the leaders.

Such a turnaround from when it was blue states primarily affected & from when the White House altered its plans for help due to only blue states being affected was a safe prop bet.
Isn’t that the same thing? Trump doesn’t wear a mask so his ideologues do the same? Over time that will have a differentiating impact?

fergieisold

I have the covid19 app from the NHS, just had my first alert saying that I could have had contact with someone that has been tested positive, and then very quickly come back with another notification saying that they've concluded I wasn't around them for long enough so it's no issue. Annoyingly, going into the app shows no mention of this at all!
At least you got the second notification! Many people just get the potential Covid exposure and then...nothing. No messages in the app etc.

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
Cool graphic but the most striking thing to me is that it seems to start off with twice as many Democratic states at the beginning as there are at the end.

What’s going on there?
Large population centers on the coasts, large cities in general. Seattle was our first case, west coast had proximity to China, NYC & DC with their obvious international makeup. Now the land is catching up with the cities.

F-Red

At least you got the second notification! Many people just get the potential Covid exposure and then...nothing. No messages in the app etc.
Weirdly my other half had the same notifications, but overnight whilst we was asleep. Considering the proximity to her, I don't know why it's waited for a good 9-12hrs to update me.

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
Isn’t that the same thing? Trump doesn’t wear a mask so his ideologues do the same? Over time that will have a differentiating impact?
For the most part, definitely. But, one has to have a different brain alignment to be one of the sheep. Call it simple stupidity, aggressive ignorance, flawed hubris, whatever, it’s just a different brain. They aren’t innocent in the process & solely led by the big bad government.

Sparky Rhiwabon

:)

Nobody knows. And I don't know in this particular case whether the advice from the app would have been any different, because virtually no one has ever had any advice anyway.

I think the phrase is 'hope that helps'.
Haha, not really but thanks! What a shambles

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Large population centers on the coasts, large cities in general. Seattle was our first case, west coast had proximity to China, NYC & DC with their obvious international makeup. Now the land is catching up with the cities.
Ah. Ok. Makes sense. So red states on the increase might be driven more by geography than politics?

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
Ah. Ok. Makes sense. So red states on the increase might be driven more by geography than politics?
Not entirely. Politics has a lot to do with it, no doubt. It was just going to take a while to permeate the innards of the country, especially the flyover states. One could probably blame the first wave on the geography issue. The fact that the virus seems to be persisting now in those areas can be somewhat chalked up to politics (& social media) entrenching certain behaviors.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Not entirely. Politics has a lot to do with it, no doubt. It was just going to take a while to permeate the innards of the country, especially the flyover states. One could probably blame the first wave on the geography issue. The fact that the virus seems to be persisting now in those areas can be somewhat chalked up to politics (& social media) entrenching certain behaviors.
Yeah, bound to be a bit of both. I just tend to automatically get cynical when I see this pandemic used to score political points. Obviously Trump and his team have been a disaster from the get go but this thing is getting completely out of hand all over the world, under governments/regional leaders from right across the political spectrum.

Rolandofgilead

Trigger Happy Priest Killer
Scout
Supports
Weymouth
My sister has covid. Just got her results back. She's proper rough. My best mate and his wife also both positive but not quite as rough.

Tibs

Boris saying he will intervene in Manchester unless Andy Burnham gets back to table, and gets Tier 3 in place.

Manchester, according to Boris, will in 2 weeks have as many patients in ICU with Covid, as we did during the first peak. If this is true and I've not yet checked the numbers, then Boris, you need to hurry up and intervene!

Verified Bird Expert
Scout
It's awful to find anything funny in this but I like the scousers are enraged because when they were put in tier 3 their gyms were ordered to close, and fined if they didn't, this afternoon Lancashire has gone to tier 3 just the same, but negotiated for the gyms to stay open. Should have tried harder scousers.

UnrelatedPsuedo

I pity the poor fool who stinks like I do!
Insulting another member
It's awful to find anything funny in this but I like the scousers are enraged because when they were put in tier 3 their gyms were ordered to close, and fined if they didn't, this afternoon Lancashire has gone to tier 3 just the same, but negotiated for the gyms to stay open. Should have tried harder scousers.
Fcuk off you child.

Hate the football club and it’s daft fans. But support the City at a human level.

Grow up.

Hanks

Yeah, but @Hanks scored with Leeds lass.
Give over.

This garbage virus has already completely destroyed my work industry, by the time it's over almost nothing will be left. Not gonna let this destroy my social life and mental health. You are free to hide under your bed for an unknown number of years that no one knows because let's be honest, no one knows the end to this tunnel. Anyone who claims they have a timeline when it's over, are talking out of their arse.

Anyways, back to discussion, Even countries with much higher restrictions than Poland over the summer are seeing massive rises. In many cases more so than Poland.

I wonder what happened that nearly ALL European countries regardless of their loose/strict approach ended up in seeing the second wave at the same time. Almost as it all happened as the temperatures winded down from 20s to low 10s.

I can't believe they are closing the gyms again here. The absolute clowns in charge.

Not a single case of community transmission from gyms that I am aware of....a place to get strong and healthier, almost exclusively for the younger people at little risk. Gyms where 20-40 year olds gather are closed, and churches where 50-70 year olds gather remain open with a little limit on their capacity. and then the PM says: "Elderly stay home, Young folks, show solidarity."

It really feels as the gov'ts around the world just copy each other like monkeys without any independent oversight.

Last edited:

onemanarmy

Belgium: bars and restaurants close for 4 weeks, mandatory working from home, only 4 close contacts outside the household, not allowed outside between 12 and 5am.

redshaw

Italy with 10k cases 55 deaths
France 25k cases 122 deaths
Spain 12k cases 222 deaths

redshaw

China recently mass tested a whole area becasue of two cases. They don't mess around hoping cases will drop or level out.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
Has this been posted yet?